Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

My own little corner of Mordheim...

Go down 
+130
Bolbotos
Fat Rat
qazbnm
monkeylite
Captain Ludwig of Altdorf
Lion01
Pyyr
JoaoS
wanna993
Arli
Jerry_O
theomar pius
neuh
Spectre76
Da Great MC
cobaltearthgem
thecandlelit chopshop
chaos wolf
Ser Tasnica
RobinTrevize
Vagabond
oseru
Drenengar
oldschoolgameroo
Joshua Von Wolkestadt
DrHobo
Dasgnom
LAZtheinfamous
opaque
Ordo Septenarius
5pointer
Gardamazh
Ninja Goblin
Macefist
Theorox
Krolog da Facemangolor
SerialMoM
Tintin
HarryMason
hexenjagar
Krataeros
Milliardo
FKSN
Grimscull
Narcissus
Tewfik
Speckie
Soulblight
Plague Docter
WarbossKurgan
Kapitan_Hak
death comes to all
Rudeboy
Ezekiel
superscenic
floedebolle
Skavenblight
franzyland
Mr.chair
drakkol
Nerje
Captain Bernhardt
vampirekhaine
widgren
MTD
Von Kurst
SiliconSicilian
Ashton
Kaptain BlackSquig
XIII
Judo
Pirexian
werekin
shanks
Hasselt
mweaver
CygnusMaximus
Pretaboire
MonkeyShaman
Pablo_El_Marques
crouching lictor
whisper2053
Mithras
JessicaCastro
Paluke
dalanshin
Your Mum's Warband
Goonstah
Mr_Sinister
kidbone
garathiel
frog
KRUG_666
magokiron
Paintedpain
Cavonius
Powerposey
Yitu
eternaldream
Johann Cocaine
si
Duce
perfesser
No Time
justizius
Mordheimer
Da Bank
Aldhick
SeiFeR-NL
matt
Jadex
Gobbo Freak
Popmouth
Figgy
pascal the rascal
black mantis
Kaptain Dedgob
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Ash
Pfreck
Tagnator
HornedRat
Drugart
And
Nurgle's Bratwurst Bugle
lord siwoc
DeafNala
Lanyssa Ryssyll
cianty
Boreas_NL
134 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 21 ... 34  Next
AuthorMessage
Boreas_NL
Ancient
Ancient
Boreas_NL

Trading Reputation : 6

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned: none

My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon 19 Apr 2010 - 16:09

Quote :
nice, the balcony really completes that building

My thought exactly... Most of my buildings could do with some extra attention.

Quote :
Fantastic work, as always. The impossibleness mixed with the great wood-work makes the building perfect for Mordheim. It kind of reminds me of the building from the movie "9"

I can't wait to see your epic map when it's done.

Thanks! Just have a little patience (probabely you need more than a little, but it's getting done someday)... During the last few weeks I've been quite busy. The project has been revived after a long pause. I must admit, I get a kick of working on it again as I'm really making some progress...

And now for something completely different...

Guess who's having a day off?

After updating one of my earlier structures I am now in the process of updating them all... First up is one of my favorites. Tall and lean, it's quite elegant and I used it as a example for the rest of my buildings.
This is how it used to look...

My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 SDC10213
The picture shown here is quite old as there are no shutters and doors to the building yet.

I enlarged the balcony on the upper floor and added another door. This opens up the building and makes it a bit more interesting. It also adds a bit of width to the structure. Downside to all this is the fact that it barely remains upright and wants to fall down a lot...

My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 DSCN0355

My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 DSCN0357

I also added a smaller (and partially ruined) balcony on the other side (as counter weight) to prevent the building from toppling over... The toppling over should be a thing of the past as soon as the building is glued to its plaster (and heavy) base.

My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 DSCN0356

In the next update another structure gets a complete overhaul...

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, so please let me know what you think...

Last edited by Boreas_NL on Mon 19 Apr 2010 - 16:38; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Boreas_NL
Ancient
Ancient
Boreas_NL

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon 19 Apr 2010 - 16:27

The next building to receive a complete overhaul is also one of my latest.

This is how it used to look...

My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 SDC10306

Nothing spectacular, just a practical building. It used to be one of the smaller buildings on the board... A bit wider then most of the others but also a full storey shorter...

This is how it looks now...

My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 DSCN0358

My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 DSCN0359

My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 DSCN0360

After removing the roof I added a whole new storey to the building. It makes for a massive structure. I also added another balcony to the front to break up the facade of the building. The roof was later re-attached.

It isn't finished by far... It still needs floors, railings, shutters and doors but the overall feel of the building is far better then it originally was.

Last edited by Boreas_NL on Sun 25 Apr 2010 - 10:27; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pirexian
Elder
Elder
Pirexian

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010 - 1:03

You keep amazing me (and everyone else too I think) Those buildings were awesome already.. now you just took them to a new level... very impressive...
I wonder now how it would be to play on your game-board once is finished? having all those buildings with several floors and depth.. hiding at those rooms with closed windows.. before opening a window and start sniping from up there.. that gotta be something else...

How much longer 'till you start impressing us by adding texture and paint to the buildings mate?

Also, I think you should have enough tall buildings on your stock, and it's unique and amazing already.. how about something else to add some variety, like a chapel, coliseum, theater, tavern-inn, graveyard, castle, or some docks, maybe some ship wracked into the canals' docks creating some sort of "bridge" from the rests.. I don't know.. I think you can create anything one can think of, so I was just aiming high xD!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010 - 13:42

Being a fan of TALL buildings, I REALLY LOVE the upward extensions to your FINE structures. Adding crosswalks between the buildings, especially over the canal, would add a bit of swash buckling potential. GREAT STUFF! My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 544694
Back to top Go down
Boreas_NL
Ancient
Ancient
Boreas_NL

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010 - 21:50

Yay! Feedback!

Quote :
Being a fan of TALL buildings, I REALLY LOVE the upward extensions to your FINE structures. Adding crosswalks between the buildings, especially over the canal, would add a bit of swash buckling potential. GREAT STUFF! My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 544694

High praise! Walkways between the buildings is something I really want to do. Probabely in the same style as the bridges over the canal...

Quote :
You keep amazing me (and everyone else too I think) Those buildings were awesome already.. now you just took them to a new level... very impressive...
I wonder now how it would be to play on your game-board once is finished? having all those buildings with several floors and depth.. hiding at those rooms with closed windows.. before opening a window and start sniping from up there.. that gotta be something else...

Thanks! Well, the board is pretty cool to play on as it is now, but as soon as it's finished it should be even better... The tall buidlings are a real challenge to play with as they invite camping. Adding additional walkways and bridges should counter that. The doors and shutters are not meant for use in Mordheim but rather for WFRP.

Quote :
How much longer 'till you start impressing us by adding texture and paint to the buildings mate?

Just a little longer...

Quote :
Also, I think you should have enough tall buildings on your stock, and it's unique and amazing already.. how about something else to add some variety, like a chapel, coliseum, theater, tavern-inn, graveyard, castle, or some docks, maybe some ship wracked into the canals' docks creating some sort of "bridge" from the rests.. I don't know.. I think you can create anything one can think of, so I was just aiming high xD!

I'll take that as a compliment! Well, I have space for another three buildings so there should be room for at least one of your ideas, probabely the inn/tavern... The gaveyard sounds cool too as I have quite a few gravestones. You just gave me some very valuable inspiration!

Fresh updates soon!
Back to top Go down
XIII
Champion
Champion
XIII

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr 2010 - 20:38

All of the shutters with hinges, and the bolts/nails holding the timber frame together look amazing!

Are you buying the parts like that (hinges), or crafting them yourself? I'd love to add little details like that myself. Looks so fiddely!!!

And as others have said, the balconys are a very nice touch! (*steals inspiration and engraves it to memory*)
Back to top Go down
http://xiii.org.uk
Boreas_NL
Ancient
Ancient
Boreas_NL

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu 22 Apr 2010 - 16:19

Quote :
All of the shutters with hinges, and the bolts/nails holding the timber frame together look amazing!

Are you buying the parts like that (hinges), or crafting them yourself? I'd love to add little details like that myself. Looks so fiddely!!!

And as others have said, the balconys are a very nice touch! (*steals inspiration and engraves it to memory*)

Thanks for the great feedback and kind words...

The hinges I make myself. It's quite easy. I'll post a few pics of how to make them as soon as I have the time (probabely this weekend). The shutters and doors are designed to be used with WFRP, but they just look too good not to be used... During games of Mordheim we just keep them opened...

Feel free to steal any ideas you like... I'll probabely steal a few of yours, too My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Boreas_NL
Ancient
Ancient
Boreas_NL

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat 24 Apr 2010 - 22:18

The promised 'how to' on the hinges and shutters...

I started adding the shutters to one of the updated buildings. I tried to make you a clear step by step using pictures I made during construction.

My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 DSCN0361
Step 1: Gathering equipment and materials... Hobby knife, fine tooth saw and mitre box, pen and geometry triangle. Plasic rods, plasticard (1 mm), balsa wood (5 mm) plastic tubing. And, very important, super glue!

My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 DSCN0364
Step 2: Cutting up stuff... Cut up the balsa wood (depending on the size of your windows). Cut up four pieces of plastic tubing (roll it under your knife so it doesn't collapse or bend in) roughly 2 mm in length. Next cut up two pieces of plastic rod about 4 mm in length. You also need a thin strip of plasticard about the same width as the pieces of plastic tubing.

My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 DSCN0370
Step 3: Assembling the hinges and shutters... Rough up the balsa wood strips and glue them together using the thin strip of plasticard. Glue the plastic rods to two of the pieces of plastic tubing, these are the halves you should later attach to your window frame (step 6).

My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 DSCN0366
Step 4: Completing the hinges... Glue the two pieces of plastic tubing to the shutter.

My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 DSCN0371
Step 5: Detailing... Glue the rivets to the plasticard strips. Add more details if you want.

My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 DSCN0372
Step 6: Attaching the hinges to the window frame... Carefully measure the place of your hinges and glue them to your frame.

Your finished product should resemble something like this...

My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 DSCN0373

My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 DSCN0374
I also added the door and am now working on the rest of the shutters. The handle on the door is made of a piece of plastic tubing and a tiny scrap of plasticard.

I hope this tutorial has been of any use...

Back to top Go down
XIII
Champion
Champion
XIII

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat 24 Apr 2010 - 23:05

*applauds*

I gotta get me someah that stuffz!!! Simple enough technique but a very very nice visual (and functional) effect. Bravo sir, bravo.

Keep looking back up at the pics and going WOW.

Those precision tools look scary Razz
A hell of a lot more precise than I would be... i just roughly sketch (if even that) on the wood or board, then go crazy with the knife.. if the material is lucky i'll pick up a steel ruler, but that's generally reserved for cutting the top of the wall level.
Back to top Go down
http://xiii.org.uk
dalanshin
Champion
Champion
dalanshin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Apr 2010 - 0:09

Awesome! Thanks for the tutorial Boreas. The shutters are one of those details that bring these buildings to life.

Keep up the great work, and hope to see more painting soon (had to say it Smile )
Back to top Go down
http://nikolairuskin.com/miniatures
SiliconSicilian
Veteran
Veteran
SiliconSicilian

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Apr 2010 - 0:16

Excellent tutorial! And, it looks fantastic...thank you!
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/siliconsicilian/sets/72157623710783
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Apr 2010 - 0:18

The operating doors & shutters are a GREAT feature...thanks for sharing the "how to" on the suckers. My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 544694
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Apr 2010 - 4:11

Epic! That looks very fun to play with. Great little tutorial.
Back to top Go down
http://mordheim.ashtonsanders.com
Boreas_NL
Ancient
Ancient
Boreas_NL

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Apr 2010 - 16:46

Thanks for all your compliments and feedback! Great to hear you liked it. I'll be expecting to see loads of shutters and stuff on the forum real soon My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Icon_wink

I know the shutters are great details, but keep in mind I've designed them for use with WFRP. Using them in regular games of Mordheim could make for very strange games...

I've finished detailing the building from the tutorial, spending the afternoon adding more shutters and other little details.

My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 DSCN0375

My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 DSCN0376
These big double doors are one of my favorite features...

My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 DSCN0377

After taking the pictures I noticed there were still some details missing... After completing the detailing there should be some textured paint on the horizon and, maybe some day, even some proper paint!

Last edited by Boreas_NL on Sun 25 Apr 2010 - 17:00; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Apr 2010 - 16:59

Actually the shutters and doors seem very useful in regular games. A hidden model can close the shutter to show its hidden status...

My other comment is that no one puts door pulls on the exterior of upper story loft doors, although I suppose it would make it easier for giants to open the doors... Smile
Back to top Go down
Boreas_NL
Ancient
Ancient
Boreas_NL

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Apr 2010 - 17:07

Quote :
Actually the shutters and doors seem very useful in regular games. A hidden model can close the shutter to show its hidden status...

My other comment is that no one puts door pulls on the exterior of upper story loft doors, although I suppose it would make it easier for giants to open the doors... My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Icon_smile

Both good points... Indicating the status of a model is something I didn't think of, certainly worth to try that.

I know, but by the time I figured that out myself they were finished and glued on. I also like the look as it gives a bit more detail... But I have to admit I'm slightly embarassed My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Icon_redface
Back to top Go down
Boreas_NL
Ancient
Ancient
Boreas_NL

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Apr 2010 - 21:38

Quote :
My other comment is that no one puts door pulls on the exterior of upper story loft doors, although I suppose it would make it easier for giants to open the doors... My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Icon_smile

I've removed the handles and put them on another set of doors for a different building... I just couldn't handle the shame My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Icon_wink

Small update...

I've been toying with the idea of a walled mansion or adding separate walls to my board for a while now...

Just put together this little corner as a test (no glue yet). It's a bit higher than I planned, but I like the metal fence as it opens up the wall and gives loads of interesting in-game possibilities, both for Mordheim and WFRP...

Imagine this as a separate piece (in different lengths and angles) or as part of a walled estate...

My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 DSCN0378

My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 DSCN0379
And with a mini for scale...

Back to top Go down
SiliconSicilian
Veteran
Veteran
SiliconSicilian

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Apr 2010 - 22:26

If you could modify the iron bars to cut out 1 cube, I think it would be perfect.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Apr 2010 - 22:51

NICE LOOKING wall...would be GREAT for a Graveyard piece. My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Fresse
Back to top Go down
CygnusMaximus
Warlord
Warlord
CygnusMaximus

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Apr 2010 - 6:34

SiliconSicilian wrote:
If you could modify the iron bars to cut out 1 cube, I think it would be perfect.

I think that would depend on exactly what you wanted them to do; if you want barriers that models can cross without a test to climb them, then some shortening is in order. If you want tall barriers that provide cover and can't be easily crossed (great for keeping warhounds and dire-wolves at bay!), then what you've got is perfect.

Very inspiring stuff - I'm not sure I have the patience or dexterity to make those tiny hinges, but I may have a go one of these days.

PLEASE keep up the magnificent work!
Back to top Go down
Boreas_NL
Ancient
Ancient
Boreas_NL

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Apr 2010 - 22:06

Thanks for the great feedback and comments! It might sound a bit dramatic, but it makes the project so much more fun...

Quote :
NICE LOOKING wall...would be GREAT for a Graveyard piece. My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Fresse

That's one of the ideas I'm working on and also one of the ideas that formed the basis of this set of walls...
Quote :

Definately worth a try, but the iron fence (which is made of plaster) is rather delicate and breaks real easy. I actually broke three just putting this test piece together... Even if it doensn't work, I think I like the height of the wall. It is designed te keep people out (in the case of a walled mansion) so I figured it should at least be as tall as a man...

Quote :
I think that would depend on exactly what you wanted them to do; if you want barriers that models can cross without a test to climb them, then some shortening is in order. If you want tall barriers that provide cover and can't be easily crossed (great for keeping warhounds and dire-wolves at bay!), then what you've got is perfect.

Sound thinking! They should provide solid cover while you'll still be able to shoot through the fence... On the other hand, I can imagine a house rule that the walls can be easily crossed by models, especially when the wall is ruined or fences are missing.

Quote :
Very inspiring stuff - I'm not sure I have the patience or dexterity to make those tiny hinges, but I may have a go one of these days.

PLEASE keep up the magnificent work!

It's really not that hard, you just need the right stuff... It may take a few tries to get it right, but just give it a go.

As I said, thanks for the feedback and comments!

More updates soon! Got another vacation coming up so there should be plenty of time...
Back to top Go down
Pirexian
Elder
Elder
Pirexian

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Apr 2010 - 22:16

clever.. very clever.. that looks like something I would like to do for upcoming projects!
thanks for the "step by step" tutorial mate! awesome!
Back to top Go down
SiliconSicilian
Veteran
Veteran
SiliconSicilian

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue 27 Apr 2010 - 0:42

If the bars are also plaster, I would leave them as they are. It looks good.
Back to top Go down
dalanshin
Champion
Champion
dalanshin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue 27 Apr 2010 - 13:51

I like the height of the bars, keep 'em! Great stuff as always!
Back to top Go down
http://nikolairuskin.com/miniatures
MTD
Youngblood
Youngblood
MTD

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue 27 Apr 2010 - 15:52

If you have any resin you could cast the bars and then before they were totally set you could demold them and bend them into contorted shapes to look like something really strong bent them. That would make for some easy entry points into the walled off section.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My own little corner of Mordheim...
Page 9 of 34Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 21 ... 34  Next