Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

My own little corner of Mordheim...

Go down 
+130
Bolbotos
Fat Rat
qazbnm
monkeylite
Captain Ludwig of Altdorf
Lion01
Pyyr
JoaoS
wanna993
Arli
Jerry_O
theomar pius
neuh
Spectre76
Da Great MC
cobaltearthgem
thecandlelit chopshop
chaos wolf
Ser Tasnica
RobinTrevize
Vagabond
oseru
Drenengar
oldschoolgameroo
Joshua Von Wolkestadt
DrHobo
Dasgnom
LAZtheinfamous
opaque
Ordo Septenarius
5pointer
Gardamazh
Ninja Goblin
Macefist
Theorox
Krolog da Facemangolor
SerialMoM
Tintin
HarryMason
hexenjagar
Krataeros
Milliardo
FKSN
Grimscull
Narcissus
Tewfik
Speckie
Soulblight
Plague Docter
WarbossKurgan
Kapitan_Hak
death comes to all
Rudeboy
Ezekiel
superscenic
floedebolle
Skavenblight
franzyland
Mr.chair
drakkol
Nerje
Captain Bernhardt
vampirekhaine
widgren
MTD
Von Kurst
SiliconSicilian
Ashton
Kaptain BlackSquig
XIII
Judo
Pirexian
werekin
shanks
Hasselt
mweaver
CygnusMaximus
Pretaboire
MonkeyShaman
Pablo_El_Marques
crouching lictor
whisper2053
Mithras
JessicaCastro
Paluke
dalanshin
Your Mum's Warband
Goonstah
Mr_Sinister
kidbone
garathiel
frog
KRUG_666
magokiron
Paintedpain
Cavonius
Powerposey
Yitu
eternaldream
Johann Cocaine
si
Duce
perfesser
No Time
justizius
Mordheimer
Da Bank
Aldhick
SeiFeR-NL
matt
Jadex
Gobbo Freak
Popmouth
Figgy
pascal the rascal
black mantis
Kaptain Dedgob
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Ash
Pfreck
Tagnator
HornedRat
Drugart
And
Nurgle's Bratwurst Bugle
lord siwoc
DeafNala
Lanyssa Ryssyll
cianty
Boreas_NL
134 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 21 ... 34  Next
AuthorMessage
Pirexian
Elder
Elder
Pirexian

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers
Achievements earned: none

My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon 12 Apr 2010 - 17:48

What about green slime and some tentacles coming out of the fountain?
Back to top Go down
XIII
Champion
Champion
XIII

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon 12 Apr 2010 - 18:34

Your attention to detail is amazing! Looks like a very posh area of mordheim... no shanty towns being built amongst the grand ruins yet? Razz
Back to top Go down
http://xiii.org.uk
CygnusMaximus
Warlord
Warlord
CygnusMaximus

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon 12 Apr 2010 - 19:21

XIII wrote:
Your attention to detail is amazing! Looks like a very posh area of mordheim... no shanty towns being built amongst the grand ruins yet? Razz

I think most of the settlements are outside the city walls since Mordheim is too dangerous and tainted to spend prolonged periods of time inside.

And reading through the "City of the Damned" pieces from Town Cryer, I get the impression that the residents of Mordheim that survived the catastrophe didn't last very long after it... and it's a little hard to build a shanty town when you're dead...

... but this is the Warhammer World so it's not impossible!
Back to top Go down
Boreas_NL
Ancient
Ancient
Boreas_NL

Trading Reputation : 6

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon 12 Apr 2010 - 19:37

Fresh update!!!

Remember this building? It's one of the first I've built. It has been neglected for a while as I wasn't quite satisfied with the overall style and feel of the building. In fact it was on the list to be scrapped for parts...

My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 SDC10223

Well, It had a little accident... It kind of tipped over and took a dive. It landed square on this building...

My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 DSCN0328

That can't be good! Well, you could be right, but be sure to check this out... It so happens that a bottle of super glue was caught in the collision...

My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 DSCN0350

My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 DSCN0351

It might be a bit over the top... Who am I kidding, it's so far over the top that even I am having second thoughts! But I like it!

It still needs a lot of work and some serious converting before it passes as acceptable. It will use the base in the center of the board. This will be the biggest building on the table (hands down, it will even replace the bell tower as tallest building) and will get the feel of a wizards tower or maybe the burgomeisters home. As I said, it needs a LOT of work, but I need a huge and noticable building to be the objective in our games (most scenario's have a objective in the center of the board)... And, whatever you say, it's going to be noticed for sure My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_eek
Back to top Go down
Boreas_NL
Ancient
Ancient
Boreas_NL

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon 12 Apr 2010 - 19:42

Quote :

I second that!

A shanty town isn't a bad idea, but I don't know if it will fitt the style of the board... Maybe some scaffolding around the building, to indicate there has been some effort to salvage and maybe even rebuild this part of the city... But that is distant future, first I have to finish painting...
Back to top Go down
CygnusMaximus
Warlord
Warlord
CygnusMaximus

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon 12 Apr 2010 - 20:08

Perfect in every way...

I'm wiping the tears from my eyes right this moment.
Back to top Go down
HornedRat
Elder
Elder
HornedRat

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon 12 Apr 2010 - 20:17

Loving the old empire figures as statues. The table looks great!! I have table and game room envy!!

Have you considered adding color to your plaster before you cast your blocks? I saw you mention something about those annoying white spots, could save you a lot of headache.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pbase.com/therat
XIII
Champion
Champion
XIII

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue 13 Apr 2010 - 0:17

Boreas_NL wrote:
Quote :

I second that!

A shanty town isn't a bad idea, but I don't know if it will fitt the style of the board... Maybe some scaffolding around the building, to indicate there has been some effort to salvage and maybe even rebuild this part of the city... But that is distant future, first I have to finish painting...

Well maybe shanty town wasn't the best description... in my mind I was seeing such grand building structures as a central point of mordheim... which would be deep into the centre of the city, the furthest points of questing, and as a result could have some remnants of make-shift shelters scattered around the former grand buildings... going that deep into a dangerous city, you'd surely be spending the night.

loving how it's all coming together with more and more little details. very impressive
Back to top Go down
http://xiii.org.uk
Boreas_NL
Ancient
Ancient
Boreas_NL

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue 13 Apr 2010 - 22:21

Yay! Feedback!

Quote :
Perfect in every way...

I'm wiping the tears from my eyes right this moment.

Don't cry, it's not that bad My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_razz Thanks for the compliment...

Quote :
Loving the old empire figures as statues. The table looks great!! I have table and game room envy!!

Have you considered adding color to your plaster before you cast your blocks? I saw you mention something about those annoying white spots, could save you a lot of headache.

I know I'm a bit lucky (well, more than a bit) to have such a space available... The statues are a firm favorite of mine. The combination of old and new models works quite well.
Adding some color to the plaster is something I'll be trying in the future.

Quote :
Well maybe shanty town wasn't the best description... in my mind I was seeing such grand building structures as a central point of mordheim... which would be deep into the centre of the city, the furthest points of questing, and as a result could have some remnants of make-shift shelters scattered around the former grand buildings... going that deep into a dangerous city, you'd surely be spending the night.

loving how it's all coming together with more and more little details. very impressive

This makes sense... Something to think about! The little details are what it is all about... Adding them is soooo much fun!

Just finished a game with two of my friends... They played a nightly reconnaisance mission. Venturing deep into the city of the damned, set upon by a horde of zombies...
One of their comrades was captured during a previous game and is about to be hung in the morning. The Marienburgers intend to save him... Not because they like him, but because he owes them money!

Next week, the hanging!
Back to top Go down
No Time
Veteran
Veteran
No Time

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed 14 Apr 2010 - 9:08

You have to post the hanging here.... We want a report on how it goes! Hope that the Marienburger gets what he deserves: The Mordheim Midair Jig Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Kaptain BlackSquig
Veteran
Veteran
Kaptain BlackSquig

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed 14 Apr 2010 - 15:46

Boreas
While I am waaaaay late in giving out the compliments, I have to say that you have acheived some stunning work on your board! My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_eek I am awestruck.

I see in your posts that you used Hirst molds for the bricks. I have several of those molds as well and have yet to use them. But I plan on starting now after seeing the effects you can achieve.

Wanted to pick your brian if I can. What mold/molds are you using for the wall bricks? I have several of the floor tiles sets but need to order some of the wall sections. On their website the owner says he uses a food dehydrator to speed up the drying process. Have you done this or do you let yours dry naturally? Last question sir, it looks like you mention that you are using regular Plaster of Paris. On the site theyt suggest dental plaster, but I saw the prictag on that vs POP and said wow! My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_eek My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_eek My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_eek My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_eek Do you feel the POP works well enough?

Any advice you can offer here would be greatly appreciated. Waiting with baited breath to see a game in action in your little corner of Mordheim!
My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_cheers My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_cheers My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_cheers My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_cheers My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_cheers

Da Kaptain
Back to top Go down
CygnusMaximus
Warlord
Warlord
CygnusMaximus

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed 14 Apr 2010 - 16:19

Kaptain BlackSquig wrote:
Last question sir, it looks like you mention that you are using regular Plaster of Paris. On the site theyt suggest dental plaster, but I saw the prictag on that vs POP and said wow! My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_eek My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_eek My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_eek My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_eek

You should check eBay and other auction sites. When I was considering using the Hirst Arts molds I checked eBay and found 30lbs. of dental plaster for $30 or so.

I imagine 30lbs. would make a LOT of bricks.

(I should point out that I decided against the molds due to having two children who would undoubtedly disturb the molds and a wife who is generally patient but would probably draw the line at me taking over the kitchen for making "nerd-bricks". I think they look great - they're just not ideal for my current situation!)
Back to top Go down
Kaptain BlackSquig
Veteran
Veteran
Kaptain BlackSquig

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed 14 Apr 2010 - 16:41

Quote :
"nerd-bricks"
LMAO! That has got to be a new word of the day! I hadnt even thought of Ebay, thanks for the heads there, I will check it out.

Da Kaptain
Back to top Go down
Hasselt
Warrior
Warrior
Hasselt

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed 14 Apr 2010 - 16:52

I've been using the Hirst Arts molds for a few months now, and I started with Dental Plaster (found a link to a Dutch company that delivers 20+ kg bags to your front door, costs about 25-30 euros). I went through a bag of the stuff in about two months, just building the standard projects that the molds were made for (I got 5) and some buildings similar to Boreas'. You go through it much quicker than you think, in my experience.

I haven't used PoP, but would imagine that it chips and breaks rather easily. Would be a shame to put so much effort into building and painting a building, only to have white cracks start to appear everywhere after a game or two...
Back to top Go down
http://www.dutchmordheim.blogspot.com
HornedRat
Elder
Elder
HornedRat

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed 14 Apr 2010 - 21:47

In addition to what Hasselt mentioned above. It has been my person experience that ...

1. Most dental plaster is that it also dries faster taking your demold time from 30mins to 15 +/-

2. Dentail plaster is available in different shades of grey or even colored in some cases, making chipping less noticeable.

3. Glue and paint stick MUCh better to dental plaster

4. I have been using Merlin's Magic which is self degassing (sp) meaning that air rises to the top much easier, causing less trapped air bubbles.

5. It is stronger, thin pieces don't break as easily

NOT to say that with care and patience that regular plaster can't be used, but personally after using dental stone I will NEVER use regular plaster again.

I HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest that if you have the chance to try out the dental stone.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pbase.com/therat
Pirexian
Elder
Elder
Pirexian

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Apr 2010 - 1:30

My Girlfriend used to study for a Dentist.. so she's kind of used to make molds for dental plaster... Now I know what she'll be doing in the following months Smile!

It'll be just a matter of buying the molds... My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_twisted
Back to top Go down
Boreas_NL
Ancient
Ancient
Boreas_NL

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Apr 2010 - 9:25

Yay, even more feedback! Good to see so much activity. And we even passed the 10.000 pageviews...

Quote :
Wanted to pick your brian if I can. What mold/molds are you using for the wall bricks? I have several of the floor tiles sets but need to order some of the wall sections. On their website the owner says he uses a food dehydrator to speed up the drying process. Have you done this or do you let yours dry naturally? Last question sir, it looks like you mention that you are using regular Plaster of Paris. On the site theyt suggest dental plaster, but I saw the prictag on that vs POP and said wow! My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_eek My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_eek My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_eek My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_eek Do you feel the POP works well enough?

I do use dental plaster (I think it's mentioned somewhere in this thread My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_wink) as it gives a much more detailed cast and makes for very tough blocks and tiles...
Most bricks come from the regular brick mold, some come from molds like the dungeon builder mold or church tower mold...
I let my blocks dry the natural way. Sure, it takes some time, but I worked out a system of casting during the week and building during the weekend. Most blocks will dry in a day or so, just be sure to spread them out.

Quote :
I've been using the Hirst Arts molds for a few months now, and I started with Dental Plaster (found a link to a Dutch company that delivers 20+ kg bags to your front door, costs about 25-30 euros). I went through a bag of the stuff in about two months

Sounds very familiar... Probabely the same company I get my plaster.

Quote :
I imagine 30lbs. would make a LOT of bricks

Yes, but not enough... I've used near to 50 kg to cast all the blocks and tiles needed for my table.

Quote :
and a wife who is generally patient but would probably draw the line at me taking over the kitchen for making "nerd-bricks".

That, too, sounds very familiar... When I'm casting lot's of blocks, I take up half of the kitchen... My wife puts up with it, but only for a while... My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_lol And "nerd-bricks"... That one will stick around!

@ Kaptain BlackSquig: Heed the words of your comrades... They make a solid argument here. Regular plaster will let you down! Sure, dental plaster is a bit more expensive, but the results will be so much better and will last longer...

Scheduled for today: buying some rubber to make some more molds...

See you at the next update!
Back to top Go down
Hasselt
Warrior
Warrior
Hasselt

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Apr 2010 - 13:56

So today I bought some pigment (art stores sell this in powder form, I got mine from a store called Swaak, Mal Zeit künstler-pigmente), to try coloring my plaster with it. I got a dark reddish-brown called 'fired shadow', though I considered getting the black. Both cost around 6,- euros for 100 grams (different colors, it turns out, cost different amounts - a bright yellow costs as much as 20,- euros).

I mixed the pigment in with the powdered plaster and then poured it into the water. I eyeballed the amount as it's mostly an experiment. It turned out a light greyish-brown color, very suitable I think. It doesn't seem to discolor the mold or anything. So no more white spots for me! Very Happy

Sorry for derailing the thread, Boreas Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.dutchmordheim.blogspot.com
Kaptain BlackSquig
Veteran
Veteran
Kaptain BlackSquig

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Apr 2010 - 18:41

Thank you one and all for your answers!
I checked out Ebay last evening for nerd brick materials and went ahead and got 60 pounds of the Dental Stone. Cost was $30 for 30 pounds and free shipping! So now I am waiting for the shipment to arrive. As it is merely one state away, I should be casting by the weekend!

Thanks too to Boreas, your work got me motivated to revisist my Hirst molds and the ladz got me moving in the right direction to start producing them! Now back to your topic! My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_biggrin

Da Kaptain
Back to top Go down
Boreas_NL
Ancient
Ancient
Boreas_NL

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Apr 2010 - 19:00

Quote :
Sorry for derailing the thread, Boreas My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_smile

No problem, it's all hobby related, isn't it? Besides, if we get Kaptain BlackSquig moving in the right direction, there will soon be a new thread with his scenery. So it is all for a worthy cause! My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_biggrin

You heard it Kaptain, get casting and get us some pictures!
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Apr 2010 - 22:00

That most recent building is soooo rickety! Don't remake it; reality pushing, over-the-top architecture is what Mordheim is all about!... well besides fish, fish are very Mordheimy!
Back to top Go down
Boreas_NL
Ancient
Ancient
Boreas_NL

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun 18 Apr 2010 - 16:37

Quote :
That most recent building is soooo rickety! Don't remake it; reality pushing, over-the-top architecture is what Mordheim is all about!... well besides fish, fish are very Mordheimy!

Thanks! I will just add a few more beams and maybe even another tower or balcony, but otherwise the main construction isn't going to be affected. The only downside to such a tall and unbalanced structure is the fact that it has to be glued down to the board...

Fresh update!

This is one of the first buildings I constructed for my board.

My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 SDC10254

During the last few games I figured it needed some attention... I took out one of the wall sections and replaced it with a door. The added balcony gives the building some much needed floor space and adds a nice vantage point overlooking the city without giving too much cover... And, as a bonus, it makes the building look a bit better. My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_biggrin
My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 DSCN0353

My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 DSCN0352

My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 DSCN0354

While I was at it, I added some minor details. Now it only needs shutters and a few doors and it should be ready for some paint...

As I like the balcony quite a lot, this treatment is something I plan to give to more of my earlier constructions as most of these buildings are quite basic and could do with some adjustment...
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun 18 Apr 2010 - 17:07

VERY COOL...all sorts of interesting angles to the beasty. I LOVE the overhang/balcony. GREAT WORK! My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 544694
Back to top Go down
Gobbo Freak
Elder
Elder
Gobbo Freak

Trading Reputation : 7

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun 18 Apr 2010 - 22:25

nice, the balcony really completes that building
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon 19 Apr 2010 - 7:34

Fantastic work, as always. The impossibleness mixed with the great wood-work makes the building perfect for Mordheim. It kind of reminds me of the building from the movie "9"

I can't wait to see your epic map when it's done.
Back to top Go down
http://mordheim.ashtonsanders.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My own little corner of Mordheim...   My own little corner of Mordheim... - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My own little corner of Mordheim...
Page 8 of 34Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 21 ... 34  Next