Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

The City of Dunbrough

Go down 
+36
Caladan
Soulblight
gnorhk
superscenic
Azmodan
neuh
Lars Wurst
Orrlak
Pervavita
Dreng Tromm
BigD
Hendrid
Knightei
RobinTrevize
monkeylite
Spectre76
Captain Bernhardt
Arahain
Eliazar
Josef Bugman
havre
Grimscull
SerialMoM
si
Stronzo
JoaoS
dr. willett's workshop
HellspawN
izmerul
Vagabond
cutp
Von Kurst
DeafNala
opaque
floedebolle
theomar pius
40 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The City of Dunbrough   The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 9 Apr 2012 - 15:06

That really is quite a striking building. I love all the interesting angles to the beasty, & the stonework, but it's the attention to detail that make it such a WONDERFUL CREATION. VERY WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The City of Dunbrough   The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 9 Apr 2012 - 16:32

DeafNala wrote:
but it's the attention to detail that make it such a WONDERFUL CREATION.

Ditto! Absolutely everything works perfectly here (the buildings, bases, outdoors pictures), but having the little details makes all the buildings stand out as unique pieces.

Joao

Back to top Go down
http://fistful-minis.blogspot.co.uk/
theomar pius
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
theomar pius

PostSubject: Re: The City of Dunbrough   The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 9 Apr 2012 - 16:36

You guys are awesome, thanks for the feedback.
Back to top Go down
havre
Champion
Champion
havre

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: The City of Dunbrough   The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 12 Apr 2012 - 22:01

Thanks for sharing! Your work is impressive to behold. First and foremost your brick karving technique is outstanding. The most striking example is the stairs in one of your buildings, which sag in the middle mimmicing years of use. But what really makes these pices pop (all the splendid details aside) is, I believe, your colour scheme and paintjob. I would say your more recent work is apair with that of Wolfgang over at Gidian Gelaende.
Back to top Go down
theomar pius
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
theomar pius

PostSubject: Re: The City of Dunbrough   The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 16 Apr 2012 - 17:00

While the Boars Head is the oldest building in the city, this Town Gate was the first building built specifically for the city. I built it using a GW fortress tower as the basis for one of the buildings, and anyone who has converted one of those knows, that plastic is tough to cut. I also added some Mordheim windows to the tower as well. I used Lemax rolled cobblestone for the road, straight out of the Christmas shops. I built up the sides of the roads beneath the vinyl piece so that the road sinks down in the middle.
Of all of the buildings in the city, this one is the most likely to be replaced at some point. As time has gone on, I sort of feel like the town gate should be more uniform, more official looking. The whole rest of the town can look ramshackle, the gate should look more official. We'll see if I ever get the time though.

The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Towngate_2994
The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Towngate_3190
The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Towngate_3198
The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Towngate_3225
The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Towngate_3197
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The City of Dunbrough   The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 16 Apr 2012 - 17:15

BEAUTIFULLY WELL DONE! I think this may be my favorite; while you may be thinking of a more planned out look, I tend to think of Medieval Towns/Cities as a more spontaneous growth unlike Roman Cities. Be that as it may, it is LOVELY & WONDERFULLY detailed. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The City of Dunbrough   The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 16 Apr 2012 - 17:42

I agree with DeafNala:

My favourite building - and the one that made me buy the GW fortress (I chickened out in the end and didn't do any special conversion).

Medieval towns in my mind are busy, chaotic and all over the place. Like a jungle of builings one on top of the other. Your towngate looks extremely realistic in that sense too.

On the other hand, nothing should stop you from replacing that old piece of terrain and maybe even donate it to your fans!

I'm glad to step forwards and accept the sacrifice! Wink

Joao
Back to top Go down
theomar pius
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
theomar pius

PostSubject: Re: The City of Dunbrough   The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 16 Apr 2012 - 17:54

JoaoS wrote:

On the other hand, nothing should stop you from replacing that old piece of terrain and maybe even donate it to your fans!

I'm glad to step forwards and accept the sacrifice! Wink

Joao

You are a true gentleman Laughing
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: The City of Dunbrough   The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 16 Apr 2012 - 20:03

wow, the gatehouse section looks great! What i like in particular are those little details in every corner and of course the absolute dark and medieval spirit of theis piece of scenery, well done! I do want to catch exactly THIS with my Gamingtable in Progress, hope i can live up to your standard of buildings, thanks for sharing!

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The City of Dunbrough   The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 16 Apr 2012 - 20:26

By the way, can you tell me what this is made of? It doesn't look like styrofoam but more of a wallpaper or something of the kind?

The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Wall_b10

Joao
Back to top Go down
theomar pius
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
theomar pius

PostSubject: Re: The City of Dunbrough   The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 16 Apr 2012 - 20:46

JoaoS wrote:
By the way, can you tell me what this is made of? It doesn't look like styrofoam but more of a wallpaper or something of the kind?

The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Wall_b10

Joao

That's a brick pattern sheet styrene from plastruct. http://www.plastruct.com/
They make lots of brick sheets, roof sheets, cobblestone, water etc. Very useful stuff if you want to bang out projects quick and easy, if money is no object.
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The City of Dunbrough   The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 16 Apr 2012 - 20:50

Awesome! Thanks for the info!

Money is a problem, but I might be able to squeeze a few bucks out for those babies!

Joao
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: The City of Dunbrough   The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 17 Apr 2012 - 4:19

Oh that's lovely then. Truly it is.
Back to top Go down
Josef Bugman
Hero
Hero
Josef Bugman

PostSubject: Re: The City of Dunbrough   The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 17 Apr 2012 - 19:27

Stunning! Shocked
Back to top Go down
theomar pius
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
theomar pius

PostSubject: Re: The City of Dunbrough   The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 25 Apr 2012 - 16:04

After the Gates came the Blacksmith shop, what medieval town would be complete without one? This was a fun project because I had to build both the interior and exterior in the forge section.

The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Blacksmith_3344
The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Blacksmith_3487
The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Blacksmith_3479
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The City of Dunbrough   The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 25 Apr 2012 - 16:47

Awesome - as usual. I had seen this one a few years back and it still looks a beautiful piece! Again, the little detais like the barrels, characters, tools and so many other items bring this whole house to life!

I was looking at your model before it got painted. What texture did you put on the walls to give them that rough look? Filler?

Joao
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The City of Dunbrough   The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 25 Apr 2012 - 16:47

That is yet another inspiring gem. WONDROUSLY WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: The City of Dunbrough   The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 25 Apr 2012 - 16:58

Wonderful.
Back to top Go down
theomar pius
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
theomar pius

PostSubject: Re: The City of Dunbrough   The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 25 Apr 2012 - 17:49

JoaoS wrote:
Awesome - as usual. I had seen this one a few years back and it still looks a beautiful piece! Again, the little detais like the barrels, characters, tools and so many other items bring this whole house to life!

I was looking at your model before it got painted. What texture did you put on the walls to give them that rough look? Filler?

Joao

I use Woodland Scenics water effects for my wall textures. As far as I know, I'm the only one doing this Laughing
I use the water effects because it's in a tube, so it's easy to control. I put a bit in the space, and then daub it with a piece of scrap balsa.
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The City of Dunbrough   The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 25 Apr 2012 - 18:13

Great! Thanks for the tip. I've never tried it, so I might have a go at it at some stage.

I guess something like wallpaper fine filler could produce a similar effect?

Joao
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The City of Dunbrough   The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 28 Apr 2012 - 23:39

Hi there, one more question: what material do you use for the bases of your houses? Cardboard, wood?

Joao
Back to top Go down
theomar pius
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
theomar pius

PostSubject: Re: The City of Dunbrough   The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 29 Apr 2012 - 3:55

I used to use MDF, hardboard you know? Lately though, I've been using plexiglass, I can bevel it with a dremel, without breatihng in all of that dust.
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The City of Dunbrough   The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 29 Apr 2012 - 4:08

Cool. I'll look into that. I'm seriously thinking of basing all my buildings, so that they look more natural with grass and other bits and pieces around them.

I have been carefully observing your houses as some of them seem to have quite a complex design. Do you draw sketches of your houses? And what about measures and sizes? How do you come up with those?

Joao
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: The City of Dunbrough   The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 29 Apr 2012 - 16:52

Very characterful pieces! That blacksmith's shop is incredible, I wish I could make scenery like that Smile
Back to top Go down
theomar pius
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
theomar pius

PostSubject: Re: The City of Dunbrough   The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 30 Apr 2012 - 23:33

JoaoS wrote:
Cool. I'll look into that. I'm seriously thinking of basing all my buildings, so that they look more natural with grass and other bits and pieces around them.

I have been carefully observing your houses as some of them seem to have quite a complex design. Do you draw sketches of your houses? And what about measures and sizes? How do you come up with those?

Joao

I really don't design my stuff at all ahead of time. I might have an idea in my mind, but I never really put it down on paper or anything. I do what everybody else does and saves pics from the internet with ideas I might want to try later. What I'll do is sketch on a piece of paper or the base what shape I want the foundation base of the building to be, figure out where I want doors, and then build the bottom layer into that shape. Everything else kind of works itself out from there. A problem I see alot with designing this stuff ahead of time, is that the builder might become too concerned with matching the design, rather than what looks good or feels right. You can't be afraid of screwing up, because really, almost nothing you build from foam or wood can't be torn out and rebuilt. There have been plenty of times I've stopped halfway, decided I didn't like where it was going, and figured out a more attractive way to finish a building. That apothecary I just built, the only plan I had was that the birdhouse would form one corner, and that I wanted an upper level dormer to form over top of a doorway with columns going to the ground. The rest I made up as I went along. The only other planning I do, is I base my buildings off of the idea that a story is 2 inches high, that looks about right with Reaper minis, which is mostly what I use. Windows are places keeping in mind whether or not some stairs are there inside, or a fireplace or something. Also, don't be afraid to hide detail behind detail. That blacksmith shop has a door at the top of the stairs under the forge pavilion that I haven't seen since the day the roof was put on, but it was essential to the design of the roof to know just where that door would be.
My main advice I guess is don't be afraid to try something that looks hard or difficult to do, because you'll learn from it no matter what, and if you succeed, the results are awesome, you'll be so proud of what you did.

Prominence stairs first attempt.
The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Dsc00819kr

Prominence stairs mid changing my mind.
The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Dsc01203nu

Prominence stairs fixed.
The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Dsc01206fy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The City of Dunbrough   The City of Dunbrough - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The City of Dunbrough
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next