Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

There is an army in here somewhere

Go down 
+26
Mo!
mazah
Powerposey
Alex
Captain Bernhardt
Repeter
Paboook
Theorox
Paluke
quidamcorvus
JoaoS
Mr.chair
SerialMoM
Von Kurst
Tintin
Soulblight
Maestrom
Delectable Tea
Wyrdstone Dave
floedebolle
Ordo Septenarius
BurnTheWitch
5pointer
DeafNala
drakkol
Grimscull
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

There is an army in here somewhere Empty
PostSubject: There is an army in here somewhere   There is an army in here somewhere Icon_minitimeWed 1 Jun 2011 - 12:41

Hi everyone,

I just realized that I am at 200 Posts here without ever opening a topic myself. And while I like to comment on everybody else's pics, I hardly gave anybody a chance to get back at me Very Happy

So here is a thread for the warbands I will be painting in the next couple of...month. They are mostlikely all going to be human and in a similar style, because someday I want them all to fit into one nice Empire Army.

So without further explanation, as a start, I give you:

Grimsculls Witchhunters - The Domini Canes aka "The I-Team"

Quote :
Ten years ago, an interrogation commando unit was sent to prison by a church court for a crime they didn't commit (The daughter of Talabheims Arch-Confessor REALLY had been a witch...). These men promptly escaped from a maximum security dungeon to the city of Mordheim. Today, still wanted by the Church of Sigmar, they survive as hunters of wyrdstone. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you are not a witch, maybe you can hire... The I-Team!

There is an army in here somewhere Inquis11

My heroes. My Sigmar Priest is called Master Eckhard aka Mr.E. The Flagellant-Champ in the middle is Brother Arthur, aka B.A. And the one on the right is Lector Hannibal, my captain (this mini got me started with all the fluff)
There is an army in here somewhere Inquis12
My four stuntmen of the Apocalypse
There is an army in here somewhere Inquis13
My beggar "Legless Pete", my sharpshooter and the dogs "Pity" and "Fool"
There is an army in here somewhere Inquis14
Not yet or not anymore finished models. Felix is going to be my new captain, "Faceman"

Last edited by Grimscull on Thu 4 Aug 2011 - 18:01; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
drakkol
Ancient
Ancient
drakkol

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: There is an army in here somewhere   There is an army in here somewhere Icon_minitimeWed 1 Jun 2011 - 14:38

nice minis! What a Face
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Drakkols-workshop/294017540629240
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: There is an army in here somewhere   There is an army in here somewhere Icon_minitimeWed 1 Jun 2011 - 14:54

I think I was over the 200 mark before I inflicted the Forum with my first photos also...in your case it was worth the wait. What a Face VERY NICELY DONE! Clicking on the pics for a better view is definitely worth it...the Wanted Poster the first Guy on the left is displaying is FANTASTIC! The Lad in the Hat second from the left on the bottom reminds moi of Freddy Kreuger from the Elm Street Saga. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: There is an army in here somewhere   There is an army in here somewhere Icon_minitimeWed 1 Jun 2011 - 14:58

Great use of 40k minis and bits too! The fluff was ace as well!
Back to top Go down
BurnTheWitch
General
General
BurnTheWitch

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ogres (BTB) Ogres (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: There is an army in here somewhere   There is an army in here somewhere Icon_minitimeWed 1 Jun 2011 - 16:50

Wow nice minis! I like how you make the blue in the flames come to life in that way Shocked
Back to top Go down
Ordo Septenarius
Warlord
Warlord
Ordo Septenarius

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: There is an army in here somewhere   There is an army in here somewhere Icon_minitimeWed 1 Jun 2011 - 17:06

This is some really great stuff. If there's one problem with my minis, it's that they tend to be bright and colorful; I think you hit the dingy, grimy look perfectly (almost like these were shot through a sepia filter on a lens).

I love your style; I wish I could develop mine to be a little more like yours. Any chance of a walkthrough or WIP account?
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: There is an army in here somewhere   There is an army in here somewhere Icon_minitimeWed 1 Jun 2011 - 21:13

Awesome paintjob, love the "icy fire" thing, cool!Wink

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: There is an army in here somewhere   There is an army in here somewhere Icon_minitimeWed 1 Jun 2011 - 22:40

Well thank you everyone for these nice comments:

@ drakkol: yes, after a couple of years not painting much, I now have the stamina to paint on a regular basis (if not often), cause I just put my Chaos Army aside to paint the Minis I really wanted, which are Empire and Imperial humans!

@ DeafNala: that is good to hear. The pics were made by my flatmate with her camera and are even bigger in real life. The Minis look SO much better when shot wit a good camera...Interesting the pics get bigger when you click on them because for me it doesn't work What a Face The Lad in the Had is the Felix Jäger-Mini I mentioned to be my new captain.

@ 5pointer: that's what you got to do when you really like the 40k-Minis but don't play 40k at all. I think everybody knows where the fluff comes from Laughing

@ BurnTheWitch and floedebolle: thank you, I'm rather proud of the fire-effect myself. It evolved somehow and I'm definitely going to make this icy-fire a theme for my army

@ Ordo Septenarius: Hey, you just described the effect the way I wanted it to be - sepia-ish. In the beginning I just wanted to use browns and greys, with the fire sticking out, but on the sharpshooter for example I had to use a lot of red because he is supposed to be from Miragliano. I can certainly describe what I do and don't in the future, but still need to get my own camera. The pics where done by my flatmate and I don't want to bother her with this stuff every other day.

Again thanks everybody, keep the c&c coming, it is all really motivating! bounce
Back to top Go down
Wyrdstone Dave
Warlord
Warlord
Wyrdstone Dave

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: There is an army in here somewhere   There is an army in here somewhere Icon_minitimeThu 2 Jun 2011 - 4:15

"In 1999 a crack witch hunter warband was sentenced to death by the Inquisition for a heretic they didn't burn. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Mordheim underground. Today, still wanted by the Empire, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the I-Team".

I realise others may not remember the classic opening dialogue but I couldn't resist. Really nice minis. Its good to see you work with 40k inqusitor hencmen. I'd had similar toughts but never done it.
Back to top Go down
Delectable Tea
Knight
Knight
Delectable Tea

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar

PostSubject: Re: There is an army in here somewhere   There is an army in here somewhere Icon_minitimeThu 2 Jun 2011 - 18:53

These are really awesome, I love the colours, really unique take here!
Back to top Go down
Ordo Septenarius
Warlord
Warlord
Ordo Septenarius

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: There is an army in here somewhere   There is an army in here somewhere Icon_minitimeThu 2 Jun 2011 - 19:42

MIght I ask what type of paints you use, and the mixtures? I just love the sepia tones on the clothes, and the skin/fur of the dogs is outstanding.
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: There is an army in here somewhere   There is an army in here somewhere Icon_minitimeFri 3 Jun 2011 - 2:06

@ Wyrdstone Dave: I like your story also, as you can see, I couldn't resist the opening dialogue either. We are certainly not the first to use 40k minis in MH (Corteaz is a famous example), but I am pleased to say that I field some minis I haven't seen on a MH or WHFB gameboard yet Cool

@ Delectable Tea: thank you too. The thing with the colors is rather easy and will be explained next:

@ Ordo Septenarius: sure - here we go:

Most of it is GW if not stated otherwise. First I basecoat grey and white, that is Scull White Spray over Amry Painter's Grey Spray or just Codex Grey. I prefer this over the common black and white basecoat because on grey plastic minis, I can just skip a step Very Happy

The colors I use on every mini are KOMMANDO KHAKI and a mix my extreme modesty denies me to call Grimscull Grey. No, seriously, it is just Dwarfen Flesh with black in it. I got that from an old Eavy Metal article where they paint an Inquisitor-mini (so you know how old it is). I also use Scorched Brown a lot. For shading I use Badab Black or Devlan Mudd and in sometimes huge quantities thinned down black by Pegasus Paints.

I paint in really thin layers, on the Flagellands you can see that the basecoat actually shines through in higher places. For highlighting I drybrush KOMMANDO KHAKI in a controlled way on almost everything: browns, greys, greens, even the red on my marksman.

Drybrushing KOMMANDO KHAKI on everything and the thin layers over the grey-white basecoat might actually be what makes the minis look the way they do.

The left dog was painted with Grayeyard Earth (OR KOMMANDO KHAKI?) and Devlan Mudd, I believe. Black in some places. The white parts are just the basecoat. The right dog is mostly "Grimscull Grey" with Badab Black and Pegasus' black.

I hope this helps so far, if you want to know more specifics, feel free to ask! Question

Last edited by Grimscull on Thu 23 Jun 2011 - 19:54; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Maestrom
Hero
Hero
Maestrom

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: There is an army in here somewhere   There is an army in here somewhere Icon_minitimeSat 4 Jun 2011 - 14:59

Awesome work sir, you have a great warband here, really like how you have converted the 40k models for it Smile

How did you paint the torches may I ask? really like how they have turned out Smile
Back to top Go down
Soulblight
General
General
Soulblight

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: There is an army in here somewhere   There is an army in here somewhere Icon_minitimeSun 5 Jun 2011 - 1:38

Very nice! Very nice indeed!

I truly pity the fool who is gonna stand up against those guys!

I would love to see your take on Murdoch, an idea that springs to mind is an utterly deranged flagellant who got pilothat and a set of homemade wings, but i will pull myself back on keep a watch on this thread!
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: There is an army in here somewhere   There is an army in here somewhere Icon_minitimeFri 10 Jun 2011 - 0:18

@ Maestrom: the colors I used, from bright to dark, are Vallejo White, Rackham Patina Green, Rackham Antique Green, GW Hawk Turquoise, GW Scale Green, I believe. All over this grey and white basecoat I described. I just drybrush and shade till it looks nice. The only difference is that I drybrush the higher parts with darker colors, while I "shade" the lower parts of the mini using white or at least a brighter color.

@ Soulblight: I don't actually have a take on any of the characters and didn't plan the A-Team fluff at the beginning. They were just the domini canes. It all started with my leader, who I thought looked a lot like Hannibal Lector, with his mouth sewn together and his tight jacket. So I named him lector Hannibal. When someone pointed out that I needed some fluff, I was reminded of another leader called Hannibal and redesigned the A-Team opening credits to my liking. Mr.E and B.A don't look at all like their hollywood pendant and I don't plan on having minis look simular to A-Team characters.
That said, I believe the mini on the very right in the last pic (next to Felix Jäger) might fit the Murdock-describtion. He is mad even by Flagellant-standarts. Even more so, since the mini fell of the (table)edge of the world and broke its arm. Learned he couldn't fly the hard way I guess... AND it is wearing goggles! Yes, I actually believe I might call this mini Mordock, when I fix its arm. Thanks for the inspiration Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tintin
Warlord
Warlord
Tintin

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: There is an army in here somewhere   There is an army in here somewhere Icon_minitimeFri 10 Jun 2011 - 11:13

These are some truely great miniatures, and I can only echo what everyone else have been writing. I love the overall appearance, and in my oppinion you have really tied them together. Its a bit like making a overcloud spray for 15mm veichles, tie them together with a common colour. Super nice. I would however, continue with more warhammer lore and leave the tv stuff :-P
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: There is an army in here somewhere   There is an army in here somewhere Icon_minitimeFri 10 Jun 2011 - 16:05

Excellent work mate!
Back to top Go down
SerialMoM
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
SerialMoM

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: There is an army in here somewhere   There is an army in here somewhere Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jun 2011 - 8:38

Very nice warband. And the I-Team background is a funny idea too.

I really want to see more.
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: There is an army in here somewhere   There is an army in here somewhere Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jun 2011 - 19:52

An announcement to kick my butt myself Cathayan Monk 1 : I am very busy at work right now till about Thursday, but do expect some new pics sometime next weekend.
@ Von Kurst and SerialMoM: thanks to you too for the motivating comments
@ Tintin: never heard about overcloud spray but the way you do describe this technique really sounds similar to what I do with graveyard earth.
Back to top Go down
Mr.chair
Warlord
Warlord
Mr.chair

PostSubject: Re: There is an army in here somewhere   There is an army in here somewhere Icon_minitimeTue 14 Jun 2011 - 18:31

These models are lovely. I really dig the contrast of the drab clothing with the extremely bright blue flames. Good choice of miniatures too.
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: There is an army in here somewhere   There is an army in here somewhere Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jun 2011 - 20:59

There sure is an army here somewhere, indeed! Such an astonishing group of miniatures! I'm particularly impressed with the paint job on the flagellants.

By the way, where are those dogs from? Are they GW? They look amazing!

Joao
Back to top Go down
http://fistful-minis.blogspot.co.uk/
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: There is an army in here somewhere   There is an army in here somewhere Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jun 2011 - 21:19

Thanks to you two! The dogs are the Guard Dogs by Reaper and imo the best replacement for the GW-dogs. If only there were more than just two different ones...
Just two quick pics ot the gentleman I hope to put paint on over the weekend:
There is an army in here somewhere Inq_co12
There is an army in here somewhere Inq_co11
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: There is an army in here somewhere   There is an army in here somewhere Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jun 2011 - 21:26

Great! Thanks a lot for the info! I'm getting a couple right now (through eBay US).

That mini is going to look great! I love the threatening pose.

Joao
Back to top Go down
http://fistful-minis.blogspot.co.uk/
quidamcorvus
Etheral
Etheral
quidamcorvus

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: There is an army in here somewhere   There is an army in here somewhere Icon_minitimeSat 18 Jun 2011 - 11:50

Great job! Very nice warband Smile
Back to top Go down
http://quidamcorvus.blogspot.com/
Soulblight
General
General
Soulblight

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: There is an army in here somewhere   There is an army in here somewhere Icon_minitimeSat 18 Jun 2011 - 12:58

VERY nice idea about Corteaz!! Cant wait to see him painted!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: There is an army in here somewhere   There is an army in here somewhere Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

There is an army in here somewhere
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next