Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

White Dwarf Discussion

Go down 
+22
superscenic
vampirekhaine
Milliardo
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Zodiyum
Pirexian
Splendor
sartori
Mordheimer
Andy
WarbossKurgan
frog
MonkeyShaman
Captain Bernhardt
Myntokk
Turquoise Dwarf
magokiron
Drugart
Da Bank
Lysander
DeafNala
Mortimer
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
MonkeyShaman
General
General
MonkeyShaman

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead
Achievements earned: none

White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jan 2010 - 10:45

I stopped reading WD monthly when it went all white wizardy, since then its been one annually at best.
picked up 360 right before christmas much due to the awesome cover and the 4€ tag Razz
still miss the early days though.
(OH OH!! oh yeah was I the only one who noticed the squat looking white dwarf limited mini??!?! )SQUATS!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ministryowaaagh.site50.net
frog
Veteran
Veteran
frog

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ogres (BTB) Ogres (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jan 2010 - 10:50

the only thing that keeps me buying white dwarf is the standard barer (3 pages of a guy rambling) Shocked

its the only good bit.. well ok the painting tips have been really inspiring recently. - ive read lots of them!

but:
battles are rubbish
news is rubbish - unless its what you want!
walkthoughs of the new armys is commonly has wrong facts!
is there anything else in it? Rolling Eyes

sadly you don't get any mordhime, or any other game system in them. unless its new you dont see it.
pale
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jan 2010 - 10:56

Right, we all know by now ppl dislike WD. What I wanted to do i n this thread, however, was not a discussion wether or not WD is good or bad, but to mnake short review of each issue and discuss the content to som extent. Maybe I should make a new thread and clarify this?

Monkey Shaman: I DID notice Very Happy It looks really funny, but as it is a novelty item, thats all I can say. It looks cool, but it doesn't neccecarily interest me more than that. Also, thanks to all the clutter in #360, it was pretty hard to find Razz
Back to top Go down
MonkeyShaman
General
General
MonkeyShaman

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jan 2010 - 11:24

NOVELTY?
I do believe someone needs a stern lecturing in 40k arcana!
Youve fallen for the gav thorpe/tzeneechian conspiracy!
Razz thats what I said, it stopped sucking, as I havent followed it for a while I cant say wether its a recent phenomenon but a look at last years issues says that it aint.
and I do like the standard bearer, (although this latest one that proves that the almighty john blanche has a pang of humour has also scared me off brushes for a while as aparently painting by instinct means your blanchin' it 0_o) though there wasn't that much in the way of new that you wouldn't get off the net by ways of painting or fluff or news (lighting effects is so last years armydip + properly painted eyes and eyebrows Cool )
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jan 2010 - 15:17

You mentioned John Blanche, a fact I seem to have forgotten about! His crazy skaven conversions and special painting style is just... its friggin amazing!

And yeah, a dwarf in space in 40k? I thought the squats (or whatever they were called) were dropped in the earlier editions. I say novelty miniature, the kind you find in ye olde tourist shoppe of curious but dubious thingies.
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jan 2010 - 15:50

Re: the Space Dwarf: It's not a Squat, it's not even a 40K style miniature - it's a sort-of-futuristic-warhammer style. The Goblin is wearing a "Grey Alien" suit!

Don't read any more into it than that. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Back on-topic...
White Dwarf has been a bit patchy this year, some very good issues with lots of actual content, some just seem like filler-issues. But on the whole I think it's a good read at the moment. I've loved the "Old Soldier War Stories" (or something similar?) campaign articles.

Edited!

Last edited by WarbossKurgan on Wed 6 Jan 2010 - 18:08; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jan 2010 - 16:03

Yeah, I agree, and I will keep buying this years issues in hopes of it keeping the quality going up Smile
Back to top Go down
Andy
Veteran
Veteran
Andy

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jan 2010 - 16:12

Old Soldier? This sounds interesting. Could someone perhaps elaborate?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jan 2010 - 16:28

Yeah, feel free to put up a pic of the issue and maybe go through the contents, thats what this thread is/was inteded for Smile
Back to top Go down
Captain Bernhardt
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Captain Bernhardt

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jan 2010 - 17:06

Opheliate wrote:
So, I thought why not begin a thread discussing White Dwarf??? (If that wont make GW shut the site down...)

Quote :
Yeah, feel free to put up a pic of the issue and maybe go through the contents, thats what this thread is/was inteded for Smile

hmm, seems like you really want them to shut down this site! White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Icon_evil White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Lol

I agree! the Skaven back stab scenario and the old war stories are great! they inspired me alot!

here's a teaser: pg 5 and 6 of the article:

White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Scanne11

well i'm having trouble with uploading page 6, maybe later
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jan 2010 - 18:06

Hehe, or maybe we should just describe the content? I put up a pic of the cover, at leas,t as I thought that wont do as much harm as uploading an actual PHOTO OF THE CONTENT! Oh man, were doomed! Game over man, game over! affraid
Back to top Go down
frog
Veteran
Veteran
frog

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ogres (BTB) Ogres (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jan 2010 - 18:11

no one will know! it will be fine! hahaha
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jan 2010 - 18:16

frog wrote:
no one will know! it will be fine! hahaha

Thats what the Germans said too!
Back to top Go down
MonkeyShaman
General
General
MonkeyShaman

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jan 2010 - 20:15

They we're dropped from the radar along with the slann I.e. old ones
although they've subsequently denied any and all existence of them ever in the timeline
with the exception of glitches in storytelling.

WarbossKurgan wrote:
It's not a Squat,

Don't read any more into it Mad

frog wrote:
no one will know!
hahaha Twisted Evil

Opheliate wrote:

Thats what the Germans said too! eeexcellent!

robot wrote:

Danger Will Robinson, Danger!

I rest my case
(and they call me paranoid!)
Back to top Go down
Myntokk
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Myntokk

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jan 2010 - 20:28

Hey I've got a bit of a tangential question on some of the newer white dwarfs - I'm a huge fan of GW's Lord of the Rings game, but don't have a whole lot of interest in War of the Ring (the larger-scale cousin to that game) - I love some of the new miniatures they're putting out, and have heard that their rules for the SBG can be found in issues of WD. Can anyone give me a breakdown of which issues have which profiles so I can cherry-pick and nab the issues I need?

I'm especially interested in:

Haldir
Rumil
Amdur
Army of the Dead (including banners and cavalry)

Thanks for any help!
Back to top Go down
Captain Bernhardt
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Captain Bernhardt

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 5 Feb 2010 - 12:10

So let's blow some life into this thread:

The new Februari issue! (yaay februari yaay)

first of all: the launch of the new beastmen! Though the artical isn't as good as the designer notes of old it does explain a lot of the choises they made, some for the best, some I still don't like but togheter with a massive 4000points battle report of beastmen vs Empire and Bretttonian alliance you get a pretty good idea of how the new beastmen work and I must say I think they are still pretty cool! the best part is that there are some brutal monsters for which they don't have models yet this kinda makes up for the loss of Dragon Ogres (Kinda... I just LOOOve Dragon ogres White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Icon_mad )

except for a Planetstrike tactica and a Tyrranids in Apocalopys and a LOTR campaign this one's mostly a Fantasy and PAINTING issue: There's an intensive painting guide, a golden demon showcase and a 'Road to Golden Demon' article, and a guide on painting monstrous faces and a tiny article on building ruined houses! (Mordheim anyone White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Suspect ) (disclaimer: I haven't read all these articles yet thus I can't comment on quality)

for short: it's a fantastical issue if your into painting and if you ever welcome more painting advice! (did you know you should shade Red with green??) If your just looking for LOTR than you'll be VERY dissapointed. And if you're a 40K player that doesn't want to play Apocalyps or Planetstrike then you will find nothing to your liking neither. But the beastmen and painting are superb!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 6 Feb 2010 - 6:08

Captain Bernhardt wrote:
So let's blow some life into this thread:

The new Februari issue! (yaay februari yaay)

first of all: the launch of the new beastmen! Though the artical isn't as good as the designer notes of old it does explain a lot of the choises they made, some for the best, some I still don't like but togheter with a massive 4000points battle report of beastmen vs Empire and Bretttonian alliance you get a pretty good idea of how the new beastmen work and I must say I think they are still pretty cool! the best part is that there are some brutal monsters for which they don't have models yet this kinda makes up for the loss of Dragon Ogres (Kinda... I just LOOOve Dragon ogres White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Icon_mad )

except for a Planetstrike tactica and a Tyrranids in Apocalopys and a LOTR campaign this one's mostly a Fantasy and PAINTING issue: There's an intensive painting guide, a golden demon showcase and a 'Road to Golden Demon' article, and a guide on painting monstrous faces and a tiny article on building ruined houses! (Mordheim anyone White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Suspect ) (disclaimer: I haven't read all these articles yet thus I can't comment on quality)

for short: it's a fantastical issue if your into painting and if you ever welcome more painting advice! (did you know you should shade Red with green??) If your just looking for LOTR than you'll be VERY dissapointed. And if you're a 40K player that doesn't want to play Apocalyps or Planetstrike then you will find nothing to your liking neither. But the beastmen and painting are superb!

(thanks mate, I totally forget to put up some info on teh issues Razz)

Yeah, the beastmen are really cool, all of the new models are! So cool, in fact, that I will suggest a campaign of EiF so I can play Beastmen Smile (I dont really get why their in Mordheim)

And for a guy like me, the painting ideas, tips and inspiration is great!

And the battle report is as massive The Captain makes it out to be. I made an herbal bath and took with me my WD. Half an hour later, I had still not finished the whole battle report!
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Mordheimer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 6 Feb 2010 - 13:45

I'm one of those idiots who buys WD from time to time still... Yes, it
is super over-priced (like all GW products), lacks REAL stories (fluff
makes 40k!) and it presents the new models (magokiron said it best!) So
why I do it?

Well, the painting articles are VERY nice... and I get the mags with
things that I need to improve, and I have found few 'gems' regarding new
products. Worth a subscription? No chance!

I'm planing to use Planetary Empires (along with Mighty Empires) tiles
to make a map-based campaign for Death Squads, I do like Planetstrike
and I have a Tyranid army... so guess which mags I bought?

I enjoyed the Tyranid Battle report, but the painting guides are what are driving the magazine. The 'conversion' guides are poor, at best... they showcase the model, but I was dissapointed that they do not went step-bystep (like they used to do) and requires for you to buy GW products (they call it Kit Bashing now... how cute!) The Outpost is really nice... but requires at least 4 Bastions and 1 Administratum ... over $125!

I enjoyed the January magazine (over all), but I'm a Tyranid player and as such I devour (Tyranid, devour, get it? Razz ) all information about the bugs. Looking forward catching Feb's issue... see what they got for me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mordheimer.com
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 6 Feb 2010 - 14:57

I must say I liked the January issue more than this one, maybe because I love the Tyranids to. Now, I have never EVER played a game of 40K, but if I dod, it would stand between Vostroyan Imperial Guard or the 'Nids. No doubts about it.

I also think the WD's are picking itself up more and more! And yeah, a little more fluff wouldn't hurt, but the painter features are great, what with the Skaven Army presented in the Jan issue (OMG, it is so cool it in itself is worth the money buying the magazine).
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Mordheimer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 6 Feb 2010 - 16:56

How about that 'mother rat'? on that Jan issue? Disturbingly GREAT!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mordheimer.com
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 6 Feb 2010 - 17:16

yeah it really captured the art of Mr John Blanche spot on! Did you spot the death-by-giant-boils rat ogre on the far right too? Its... im out of words Smile
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 6 Feb 2010 - 18:19

I think the Beastmen issue is my favourite in some months - it's packed full of stuff that can easily be useful for Mordheim players and is much more "warhammery" than last month's. I haven't read it in much detail yet but I'm enjoying what I've seen so far!
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 7 Feb 2010 - 6:58

The covers.

January Issue:

White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 25971001

The February Issue:

White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 M730411a_February_Cover
Back to top Go down
Myntokk
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Myntokk

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 8 Feb 2010 - 20:33

Love the cover art for those two. I've heard the Beastmen issue was pretty good, what articles did they run?
Back to top Go down
sartori
General
General
sartori

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 8 Feb 2010 - 23:02

The only reason I ever read WD is because my roommate is a diehard GW gamer, and we usually have one available to peruse in the librar...er bathroom. WD used to be so much better, but lately the only thing really catching my interest is ogling the Gold Demon entries...and knowing I'll never be that good. I find the painting tutorials interesting, but way beyond anything I want to ever attempt.

I definitely do not believe it is worth the cost here in the U.S. for what you get each issue, but I guess I can say that about most magazines nowadays.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   White Dwarf Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

White Dwarf Discussion
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next