Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Alternate Method for Critical Wounds

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
wyldhunt
Elder
Elder
wyldhunt

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders
Achievements earned: none

Alternate Method for Critical Wounds Empty
PostSubject: Alternate Method for Critical Wounds   Alternate Method for Critical Wounds Icon_minitimeMon 29 Jun 2009 - 13:59

I'm not suggesting that the following become official - I'm just sharing what our local campaign has decided to do for Critical Wounds.

In our previous campaign a few years ago, we used the Optional Critical Wounds table - it was fun and varied, but really slowed down the games and led to some arguments (especially the infamous Ricochet). In researching for our current campaign, I found one website (can't locate it again at the moment) which had a much simplified way of handling Critical Wounds. I reworked this a little more so that armor would always have a role, even against Critical Wounds, and this is what we ended up with:

- If an Armor Save was allowed and successful, the target still takes 1 Wound. (At least the armor stopped the additional effects below!)

- If no Armor Save was made, and all other Wound avoidance abilities also failed:
-- If the target has at least 2 Wounds left, it takes 2 Wounds.
-- If the target has only 1 Wound left, there is a +2 to the Injury roll.

Our first game yesterday using this Critical Wounds method was very successful and well-received.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/view/wyldhauntsmordheim
ts061282
General
General
ts061282

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Method for Critical Wounds   Alternate Method for Critical Wounds Icon_minitimeMon 29 Jun 2009 - 16:37

wyldhunt wrote:
infamous Ricochet

?

Why were these changes needed?
Back to top Go down
wyldhunt
Elder
Elder
wyldhunt

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Method for Critical Wounds   Alternate Method for Critical Wounds Icon_minitimeTue 30 Jun 2009 - 0:42

ts061282 wrote:
Why were these changes needed?
To increase our group's enjoyment in playing Mordheim!
Back to top Go down
Popmouth
Ancient
Ancient
Popmouth

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Kislevites Kislevites

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Method for Critical Wounds   Alternate Method for Critical Wounds Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009 - 10:39

I love the ricochet rule – it's one of the most exhilarating moments in Mordheim, and can make the most sturdy foe pale on sight.
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Method for Critical Wounds   Alternate Method for Critical Wounds Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009 - 10:57

Popmouth wrote:
I love the ricochet rule – it's one of the most exhilarating moments in Mordheim, and can make the most sturdy foe pale on sight.

Most definately! thumbsup

wyldhunt wrote:
To increase our group's enjoyment in playing Mordheim!

And this is where preferences differ. We love the advanced critical hits chart because we enjoy variety and complexity of possible situations instead always the same happening. Then you could just stick to the normal rules for criticals.
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
wyldhunt
Elder
Elder
wyldhunt

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Method for Critical Wounds   Alternate Method for Critical Wounds Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009 - 13:45

cianty wrote:
And this is where preferences differ.
Which is cool.

cianty wrote:
Then you could just stick to the normal rules for criticals.
Not for us, because we wanted armor to always have a possibility of helping, even with criticals.

In fact, were I to rewrite the official rules, I'd replace the normal rules for criticals with what I have, and expand the Optional Advanced Criticals tables into a d66 monster chart, similar to Rolemaster's charts, to allow the full "unique and wild" experience of them. Playing with Mordheim's Advanced Critical charts did not give a full feeling of variety, especially for missile weapons (since it's always the same three results there).

The streamlining of play and allowing armor to always have a chance to help is what prompted the change. This is also what the source of our criticals house rules allowed - and I still haven't found that website again...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Method for Critical Wounds   Alternate Method for Critical Wounds Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alternate Method for Critical Wounds
Page 1 of 1