Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished!

Go down 
+3
theomar pius
DeafNala
Lion01
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Lion01
Knight
Knight
Lion01

Trading Reputation : 0

A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Empty
PostSubject: A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished!   A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Icon_minitimeSun 17 Feb 2013 - 2:04

Where most people are suffering from flu, fever or cold at this time of year, I am caught by the scenery bug instead. It's been several years since I've actually devoted time to the hobby, so I needed a little warming-up project to get me going. I've moved house since then, so my stuff is all over the place in various boxes and crates. Luckily I had some cardboard and balsa at hand, so before long I had a little project going on. It's going to be the remains of a shed or stable, nice and simple.

A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Resize15

A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Resize17

A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Resize18

A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Resize19

To finish it off, it will need a roof structure and of course lots more broken beams and planks. For the paintjob, I will need to buy some new paint because all of my current paint has dried up inside of the pots...[u]

Last edited by Lion01 on Sun 17 Mar 2013 - 12:26; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished!   A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Icon_minitimeSun 17 Feb 2013 - 2:44

A SPLENDID START! You did a fine job getting some grain effect to your woodwork; the window & door frame look TERRIFIC. Keep up the GREAT WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Lion01
Knight
Knight
Lion01

PostSubject: Re: A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished!   A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Icon_minitimeSun 17 Feb 2013 - 3:06

Haha, it looks like you're online 24/7, Nala! Wink
(At least, for us folks here in Europe)
Back to top Go down
theomar pius
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
theomar pius

PostSubject: Re: A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished!   A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Icon_minitimeSun 17 Feb 2013 - 5:19

Yep, the woodwork is nice. I'm excited to see this develop.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished!   A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Icon_minitimeSun 17 Feb 2013 - 12:08

Lion01 wrote:
Haha, it looks like you're online 24/7, Nala! Wink
(At least, for us folks here in Europe)

lol! ...Big Old Brother is watching! Actually it's more a matter of a strange sleep pattern & the lack of a social life. clown
Back to top Go down
Vagabond
Ancient
Ancient
Vagabond

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished!   A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Icon_minitimeSun 17 Feb 2013 - 12:32

Excellent start! Just keep up the good work!
Back to top Go down
Lion01
Knight
Knight
Lion01

PostSubject: Re: A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished!   A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Icon_minitimeMon 18 Feb 2013 - 12:35

A little update on this project. I've added more balsa to the facade and also built a roof structure to give the building a more realistic look. The wood isn't actually balsa; it's much stronger and harder to cut than balsa. The building now feels very solid and I like the way its looking already.

The basic structure is finished now. Just some more details to add such as rubble and debris. The walls will be covered in ready-made structured paint which is easy to drybrush. I'll hang up a lamp over the door (the plastic one from the Citadel Watchtower kit) which I'll secure with some pins to prevent it breaking off. Painting will have to wait a little longer, since all my old paints have dried up inside of the pots. (I still have the very old hexagonal pots with white flipcovers.)

A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! P1050410

A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! P1050411

A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! P1050412

A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! P1050413

And finally a teaser with some more of my scenery in the background;

A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! P1050414
Back to top Go down
Vagabond
Ancient
Ancient
Vagabond

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished!   A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Icon_minitimeMon 18 Feb 2013 - 12:55

The barn is starting to look quite nice! But please show us the rest of your work! I love the first building in the background. Give us more pictures from different angles.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished!   A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Icon_minitimeMon 18 Feb 2013 - 13:06

You've produced some GREAT WORKS both new & old. The supporting beams on the roof of the new are a FINE touch. AND the background scenery is TERRIFIC! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Lion01
Knight
Knight
Lion01

PostSubject: Re: A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished!   A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Icon_minitimeTue 19 Feb 2013 - 19:38

Vagabond wrote:
But please show us the rest of your work! I love the first building in the background. Give us more pictures from different angles.

Thanks for your enthusiasm Vagabond! I will be posting lots of pictures of all my terrain, all in due time. My collection is still growing, slowly, but steadily, so there's plenty of stuff on the way!
Back to top Go down
Lion01
Knight
Knight
Lion01

PostSubject: Re: A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished!   A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Icon_minitimeWed 6 Mar 2013 - 13:46

So, another update on this nice little project. Basic construction is done now and I've been busy adding rubble and debris and broken timber to make it look suitably ruined. The inside of the walls was covered with structured paint from the DIY-store. The rest of the base was covered in fine sand and the whole thing was sealed with a layer of watered down PVA glue.

A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! P1050415

A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! P1050416

A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! P1050417

A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! P1050418

A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! P1050419

A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! P1050420

Also finally I've found a shop that stocks GW and hobby materials in my area, so I went out and bought some new paints to replace all of my old dried up paint pots... Hopefully it will not take long to get this thing painted up and finished... Bear with me!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished!   A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Icon_minitimeWed 6 Mar 2013 - 14:32

It's coming along quite nicely. The rubble adds to the ruined effect. Keep up the GREAT WORK! thumbsup
Congratulations on finding a local hobby store. What a Face
Back to top Go down
wanna993
Captain
Captain
wanna993

PostSubject: Re: A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished!   A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Icon_minitimeFri 8 Mar 2013 - 22:35

Impressive ruin you've got going. I really like all of it, the spackle on the inside walls (structured paint = textured paint? ) the rubble, but I think the wood work is too clean considering the state of the building. Try going over the wood with a metal brush to help get texture and bring out the veins
Back to top Go down
Lion01
Knight
Knight
Lion01

PostSubject: Re: A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished!   A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Icon_minitimeWed 13 Mar 2013 - 19:17

wanna993 wrote:
Try going over the wood with a metal brush to help get texture and bring out the veins

Interesting idea Wanna, why didn't I think of that myself? By now I've already started painting it, but I will remember this for future projects!
Back to top Go down
Lion01
Knight
Knight
Lion01

PostSubject: Re: A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished!   A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Icon_minitimeSun 17 Mar 2013 - 12:25

Well, it’s finished! I’ve spent 2 nights of drybrushing with a limited number of paints, but I’m still quite pleased with the result.

The whole thing was undercoated in black, and the shed was done with Scorched Brown (one of my favourite colours from the old Citadel range), Tallarn Sand and Bleached Bone. The base was done with Bestial Brown, Tallarn Sand, Sunburst Yellow and Bleached Bone. The inner walls and broken rock was done with 2 shades of grey from Tamiya. (I use Tamiya paint for drybrushing as this technique uses a lot of paint, and Tamiya is cheaper and comes in bigger pots.)

Looking back I might have dome some more scoring to the wood and walls, as they look a little flat now. Further comments or suggestions are welcomed!

A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Resize22

A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Resize23

A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Resize24

A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Resize25

A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Resize26

A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Resize27

A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Resize28

A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Resize29

A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Resize30

A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Resize31

A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Resize32

A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Resize33
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished!   A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Icon_minitimeSun 17 Mar 2013 - 12:33

The completed piece looks SPLENDID...VERY NICE choice of colors & brushwork. GREAT WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Vagabond
Ancient
Ancient
Vagabond

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished!   A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Icon_minitimeSun 17 Mar 2013 - 17:42

Really nice piece of terrain. Great painting job! You managed to expose the details quite well! Just one question to you and all of you guys who are using GW paints. Aren't they too expensive to use them on terrain projects? For me they are.
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished!   A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Icon_minitimeSun 17 Mar 2013 - 17:42

Nice howel, like the burnt marks. I think i will make use of that feature too on my next house paintjob, thumbs up

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
Lion01
Knight
Knight
Lion01

PostSubject: Re: A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished!   A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Icon_minitimeMon 18 Mar 2013 - 22:48

Vagabond wrote:
Just one question to you and all of you guys who are using GW paints. Aren't they too expensive to use them on terrain projects? For me they are.

That sure is true, Vagabond. It's why I'm using Tamiya paints because they are cheaper and come in bigger pots, which is ideal for drybrushing. Right now I'm using black and some shades of grey from Tamiya, but I'm looking to get more (especially browns, reds and greens). You have any good tips for alternatives?

On the other hand, I've never emptied a pot of Citadel paint by just painting miniatures. So instead of letting it dry up inside the pots, it makes sense to use some colours for scenery as well. But in general, Citadel Colour isn't cheap, so alternatives are welcomed!
Back to top Go down
Vagabond
Ancient
Ancient
Vagabond

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished!   A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Icon_minitimeTue 19 Mar 2013 - 11:40

For my terrain projects I'm using Vitex vinyl emulsion paints for house interiors. They are quite cheap! One pot\can of 180ml of paint is less then 1.5 euros. And they are quite thick, or dense (don't know which one is correct), so you can dilute them and get even more paint. The only bad thing is that they come only in basic colors so you must mix them to get different shades.
Back to top Go down
theomar pius
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
theomar pius

PostSubject: Re: A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished!   A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Icon_minitimeTue 19 Mar 2013 - 21:29

I use the folk art acryllics from the craft store. about $1.50 for 2 oz.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished!   A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Icon_minitimeTue 19 Mar 2013 - 23:37

theomar pius wrote:
I use the folk art acryllics from the craft store. about $1.50 for 2 oz.

AND, in addition to Folk Art, Americana & CeramCoat are great, inexpensive acrylic colors...cover well, last forever, & have a wide range of colors. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Arli
Veteran
Veteran
Arli

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished!   A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Icon_minitimeWed 20 Mar 2013 - 3:03

I use those as well. I thin them out a little more than they are. You just get so much more for the money. I cannot tell a difference using those paints instead of GW. In fact, I have noticed that some of the colors actually hold the pigment and last longer (on the wet palette) then valejo paint.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished!   A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A small warming-up project (WIP) Finished!
Page 1 of 1