Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Golden Tom Competition 2008

Go down 
+23
werekin
catferret
Barden The Butcher
Ethlorien
Erkwin
GMillar
Eliazar
Deserter
Unwanted
Axel
Foot_of_adhesive_tape
Pfreck
Jacky-Boy
Skavenslayer
Ezekiel
Andy
DeafNala
Duce
cianty
matt
Tagnator
Ashton
Admin Tom
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Are you taking part in the Competition?
Yes
Golden Tom Competition 2008 - Page 4 Vote_lcap85%Golden Tom Competition 2008 - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 85% [ 22 ]
No
Golden Tom Competition 2008 - Page 4 Vote_lcap15%Golden Tom Competition 2008 - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 15% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 26

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
catferret
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
catferret

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned:

Golden Tom Competition 2008 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 6 Sep 2008 - 13:02

Seems like a good excuse to paint my Norse Jarl. I may even get him painted up before the deadline.

Quick question: What is the ruling on using round bases? I play Mordheim with 25mm round bases because it's a skirmish game and models don't fight ranked up.

Will I need to rebase my entry for this competition?
Back to top Go down
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Norse (Unofficial) Norse (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 6 Sep 2008 - 22:16

Hey guys.

Thanks for the mail Tom. Comp looks good, except for this;

Quote :
For example: entering a wood elf model would be a bit of a stretch as there are no official or unofficial rules being widely used to support wood elves in Mordheim.

This is a familiar topic! No wood elves to be found on the streets of Mordheim, as has been published. The HS named Elf Ranger is interesting though. The ranger can be as specific or ambiguous as you choose to make it. I like elves and I don't typically collect or paint them. If I were choose one for the role of this HS, then judging by the career, the description of the hireling, and the equipment it carries, I would naturally want to select a model from the Citadel Wood Elves catalogue as the basis for the piece.

Moving on then. If I entered a Citadel miniature and finished behind a non-Citadel release then it wouldn't be the end of my world! There are plenty of models released which look great in games of Mordheim and Warhammer, and not just Citadel. I enjoy converting, and typically use Citadel models because I enjoy so many of the classic metal sculpts released across the years plus I found that the plastic kits provide endless options to accessorize at the trading post!!

The stuff which Cianty has posted about Ogres on this thread is utter poppycock. My liege hasn't read enough sources featuring the brutes to to be taken too seriously on this topic. Don't automatically assume he's an Ogre-hater though. Wink

A skilled hobbyist is able to combine older Citadel models with the newer releases. This is evident from viewing a number of different painters published works. I won't comment on Reaper's ogres specifically. Rather I will say that just browsed the net and found quite a considerable number of groovy ogre models from completely different publishers which could all be used as fantastic bodyguards in Mordheim!

If you are interested in discovering more on Warhammer ogre physiology and herd culture then the recommended read is part II of the Florin & Lorenzo adventure, which is called Wild Kingdoms. I only picked up this story in the name of research* for the Border Town Burning supplement. I discovered it was an awesome novel packed with fascinating characters and exciting references. FYI the trilogy is being re-released together in one book by Black Library.

*Yes folks, much research work happened during the development of BTB.

Cheers,

Werekin.

p.s. Writing this post has taught me that American's didn't work out how to spell the word 'catalogue'.

p.p.s. I got reply to my p.s. before I'd even finished vetting poor grammar out of my post. I just hope that my Queen forgives me! Wink

p.p.p.s. Still revising my post and now the gaffer has replied! Elf Ranger, not Wood Elf Ranger, all I meant Tom is to use a Wood Elf model to 'create' an Elf Ranger, not 'represent' the Hired Sword as a Wood Elf. I see that you get that sir. In my head these are two different things! Woah I just realised that I have a way cooler miniature/concept to bring some Elven flavour to my warband...

Last edited by werekin on Sat 6 Sep 2008 - 22:47; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://libermalefic.blogspot.com/
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 6 Sep 2008 - 22:27

werekin wrote:
p.s. Writing this post has taught me that American's didn't work out how to spell the word catalogue.

lol!

We ARE two People separated by a COMMON language! [credit to G.B.Shaw]

Last edited by DeafNala on Sun 7 Sep 2008 - 1:18; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Trading Reputation : 12

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 6 Sep 2008 - 22:34

catferret wrote:

Quick question: What is the ruling on using round bases? [...]
Will I need to rebase my entry for this competition?

No. You may use the bases you normally use in your Mordheim games.

Werekin wrote:
I would naturally want to select a model from the Citadel Wood Elves catalogue as the basis for the piece.

Okay, maybe I was a little too hasty and chose my example badly. I too use a wood elf model as an "elven ranger" in Mordheim, because I am big wood elf fan myself.

Please do note however that at no point did the competition rules forbid any wood elf entries.

So of course you may enter a wood elf as a "Elven Ranger Hired Sword". In fact, I would love to see a beautifully done wood elf ranger!
But then again, make it obvious it is a Mordheim character and not a wood elf champion from your WHFB regiment's first rank, which you "recycled" for the comp.

Let's make this even clearer: YOU MAY ENTER WOOD ELVES FOR THE COMPETITION IF YOU WISH. BUT your chances of winning anything will be vanishingly small unless these wood elves really look like they are lurking around in Mordheim. So be prepared to do some serious basejobs.

cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 7 Sep 2008 - 0:41

werekin wrote:
The stuff which Cianty has posted about Ogres on this thread is utter poppycock. My liege hasn't read enough sources featuring the brutes to to be taken too seriously on this topic.

Well, it is obvious (to me at least) that GMillar's Ogre mini doesn't look like a Citadel Ogre (at least none that I can think of). Unless you've been reading comic books that prove me wrong my point stands.

werekin wrote:
Don't automatically assume he's an Ogre-hater though. Wink

This wouldn't be too far off... I like to think that I am still being objective, though. Suspect
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
Ethlorien
Ancient
Ancient
Ethlorien

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 7 Sep 2008 - 0:52

This is great; I'm a lazy painter to begin with - I take waaay to long to paint even a single warrior, huge gaps in between miniatures, but this comp has given me the painting bug. In two days I've done as much painting as I have in the last two month (seriously, it's still amounts to very little, but it's something).

With any luck, I'll get my entry done by the end of the week!
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 7 Sep 2008 - 1:26

Glad to hear that Ethlorien! Smile Good luck with the painting!

catferret
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
catferret

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 7 Sep 2008 - 3:51

Thanks for the answer to my question Tom. Painting has commenced. Huzzah!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 8 Sep 2008 - 12:43

I think I'll skip the Ogre critique debate as being rather pointless. Choice of minis is a matter of personal taste, or lack therof. Suspect

That said however, another source of really cool Ogres that DO both compliment The Citadel style AND look rather Mordheimish are the Dragon Rune Ogres. You can check them out a www.thewarstore.com [listed under Fantasy Miniatures: Dragon Rune Orcs] . If you live in the states, the War Store is an Excellent source of minis: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 10 Sep 2008 - 18:04

Just letting you all know that I got the last missing bit in my mail this morning so I'll be spending the rest of the month working on my entry for GT#1. I hope I stand a chance against all the high class competitors here. Smile Let's rock!
Back to top Go down
Ethlorien
Ancient
Ancient
Ethlorien

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 10 Sep 2008 - 19:38

Oh man, I'm having a ball already. I'd say I'm a little more then half way done my entry now. I've just got to make sure I keep up the pace and take a half-decent picture when done and BAM - we're in!

Best of luck to all.
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 10 Sep 2008 - 19:51

Ethlorien wrote:
Best of luck to all.

Seconded! I look forward to seeing what everybody came up with in the end! It will sure be a hell of gallery! bounce
Back to top Go down
Ethlorien
Ancient
Ancient
Ethlorien

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 13 Sep 2008 - 18:08

There we go - entry sent! I tried scanning large sums of bribery money, but I couldn't find a way to print the bills out on Tom's end so I guess it's all up to pure talent Crying or Very sad

Well, back to painting - perhaps I'll have time to toss in another entry.
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 13 Sep 2008 - 18:42

lol!

Let me know when you figure that out.
Back to top Go down
http://mordheim.ashtonsanders.com
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 18 Sep 2008 - 10:08

Hey guys!

I hope all your projects for the Golden Tom #1 competition are well under way and you are having fun with them so far!

A big thank you to those people who have already sent me their entries! It was a great pleasure looking at them and a delight to marvel at your talent. However, nothing is ranked yet! All entries will be evaluated at the same time once the submissions close, after october 1st 2008.

I also wanted to let you guys know that I am away for vacation until the 28th and that I have an unstable internet connection at the moment. I am doing my best to come online as often as possible but please be a little patient should I not reply to your questions/suggestions straight away Smile

Thank you for your time and good luck with your entries!

Best regards,
Admin Tom

Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 18 Sep 2008 - 17:47

AH! Less that Two weeks Left!!!

I have to get crackin. I've got my mini picked out, and have gotten it glued together and base coated... but that's it =( Must get it done.

Good luck to all.
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 22 Sep 2008 - 12:04

At first I wrote that you were slightly ahead of me, Ashton, as I had only assembled but not even under coated my model. Now that it is the next morning and the forum troubles ate my post I can proudly say: mine is under coated as well! thumbsup Now I just hope to get the paint job done this month. pale
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 22 Sep 2008 - 18:23

Uh oh, the race is on!

Bring it! =)

cianty wrote:
the forum troubles ate my post
That is really funny... I read your post yesterday.... apparently it had the "burn after reading" option checked...
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 22 Sep 2008 - 18:27

Ashton wrote:
That is really funny... I read your post yesterday.... apparently it had the "burn after reading" option checked...

Ha ha, yes, maybe that's what caused all the trouble.
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Sep 2008 - 23:01

So how's everyone doing? My model is almost done and I hope to finish it tomorrow. Hopefully you'll like it! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Skavenblight
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Skavenblight

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Carnival of Chaos (EIF) Carnival of Chaos (EIF)
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Sep 2008 - 23:11

And I still don't know which model I should choose... I have painted so many last month... Wink
Back to top Go down
http://hakostwo.blogspot.com
matt
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
matt

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 27 Sep 2008 - 9:36

my entry(s Very Happy) are almost finished Smile
I think they'll be done today.

Skavenblight wrote:
And I still don't know which model I should choose... I have painted so many last month... Wink

let me remember you that you can compete with as MANY models as you want Smile

Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 27 Sep 2008 - 10:24

Skavenblight wrote:

Matt is right! You may enter as many entries as you want.

NB: Within reason of course. If you flooded me with 35 entries, I would have to ask you to narrow down your choice Wink

Skavenblight
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Skavenblight

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Carnival of Chaos (EIF) Carnival of Chaos (EIF)
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 27 Sep 2008 - 19:43

Admin Tom wrote:
Skavenblight wrote:

Matt is right! You may enter as many entries as you want.

NB: Within reason of course. If you flooded me with 35 entries, I would have to ask you to narrow down your choice Wink
Nooo, not all my models deserve it Wink And I really don't want to enter more than 3 entries Wink

And I have a question (though I think I know the answer, but it's not so clear...)
It can't be a plague cart? It's a "single model" in the rules, but... I know, there are horses, and cart and the guardian, and the base is bigger than 40x40 base... so I don't want to fight for it - I only want to be certain that I can't do it Smile
Back to top Go down
http://hakostwo.blogspot.com
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 28 Sep 2008 - 21:33

Skavenblight wrote:
I only want to be certain that I can't do it Smile

No, sorry Skavenblight, I'm afraid the whole cart is too big for this comp's cathegory. Przepraszam!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Golden Tom Competition 2008
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next