Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Golden Tom Competition 2008

Go down 
+23
werekin
catferret
Barden The Butcher
Ethlorien
Erkwin
GMillar
Eliazar
Deserter
Unwanted
Axel
Foot_of_adhesive_tape
Pfreck
Jacky-Boy
Skavenslayer
Ezekiel
Andy
DeafNala
Duce
cianty
matt
Tagnator
Ashton
Admin Tom
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Are you taking part in the Competition?
Yes
Golden Tom Competition 2008 Vote_lcap85%Golden Tom Competition 2008 Vote_rcap
 85% [ 22 ]
No
Golden Tom Competition 2008 Vote_lcap15%Golden Tom Competition 2008 Vote_rcap
 15% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 26

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Trading Reputation : 12

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

Golden Tom Competition 2008 Empty
PostSubject: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 4 Aug 2008 - 0:32

Hi everyone!

As announced a while ago, I am planning a competition. I have also announced that it will start in summer 2008.

If you check your calendar or have been outside lately (like our friend
Ashton for instance, who has been paddling down rivers and taking
involuntary baths in cold rapids) you will probably have noticed that
it is now, in fact, summer.

Being a man of my word, we are thus bound to have a competition! Very Happy

But rest assured, we are going into this well prepared! I have been working on organising the comp during the last weeks (bearing in mind all of your ideas you have so kindly submitted in the other thread).

Tom's Boring Painting Competition
Submission deadline: october 1st 2008

You do not need to be registered on the forum
to take part in the competition.

Please send your submissions to
list.thomas@gmail.com

1. Please enter a subject to your email as follows: TBMC - Your Name

2. Please include
a short description of what your model represents.

2. Please read the competition guidelines below
(if you haven't already done so).

1. As announced, there will be hand signed printed certificates sent to the winners.
  2. For those registered, there will also be little medal icons displayed in the profiles under "Achievements earned". Some of you may already have noticed this linein the profiles. There will be a Golden Tom, a Silver Tom and a Bronze Tom!

Golden Tom Competition 2008 Mock_c10

3. Unfortunately there will be no trophies. Sorry guys! Sad

Admin Tom wrote:
    Unfortunately we will have to say good bye to an actual trophy. I have considered all possible and imaginable ways for making trophies (casting them myself, having them cast, buying generic multi-sport trophies, giving away some miniatures of mine etc etc etc) but they are all much to expensive for me to finance without contributions/donations/entry fees.
  4. You will be required to send in (via email) at least four (4) pictures of your work under different angles. Quantity is important, but quality more so. Blurry pics cannot reasonably be judged.
  5. Naturally, no picture treatment whatsoever is allowed. I doubt that anyone would be dishonest enough to try this, but let it be said nonetheless: should I (or the other judges) so much as suspect the use of photoshop or another software being used to improve the miniature, we will be forced to consider the entry void and "disqualify" the contestant.
  6. The deadline will have to be respected! Of course I will not be too draconian on this, so don't worry Very Happy I am aware of the fact that some of you live in different timezones, so I will of course accept entries that are a little late. Please try to stick to the deadline though! Deadline for sending in your pics will be october 1st 2008.

7. Your pictures will not be revealed until the winners are known. All entries will be published at the same time.
  8. There will be a "Hall of Fame" in the Gallery with the 3 winners and if applicable, honorable mentions.
  9. This competition will try to consider creativity, originality and humour as much as artistic skill. Of course, the artistic skill will make out the largest part of the points awarded but the aforementioned will seriously be taken into account. Making the judge smile is always a plus Very Happy So even if you aren't the greatest painter, give it a try anyway, there are good chances you'll win something with an original mini!
  10. There will only be one cathegory for a start. Single miniature.
  11. There won't be a "theme" to this competition. So you are free to create any type of single miniature you want, as long as it is set in theworld of Mordheim. A dramatis personae, a human, an elf... surprise us!
  12. Cianty asked about "unofficial settings" for Mordheim. This is hard to define. Border Town Burning miniatures are of course allowed. As are Shadow Warrior models and models from the Lustria, Khemri or Empire in Flames settings.

However, please try to stay clear of models from experimental warbands... I will have to trust your common sense on that. For example: entering a wood elf model would be a bit of a stretch as there are no official or unofficial rules being widely used to support wood elves in Mordheim. A Dramatis Personae you have invented yourself doesn't make a great entry either, because the judges might keep wondering what the hell it is... To cut a long story short: try to stay as close as possible by the commonly accepted features of the Mordheim universe.

If you have any doubts regarding your entry, don't hesitate to PM me!
  13. You may submit any number of models, as separate entries.
  14. Ashton asked something very important. Are you allowed to enter previously painted models? Obviously, you may. However - and this is paramount - you may not enter a model that you have already competed with in any other competition. I have google too, and do like to browse painting and miniature galleries. So there is a chance that I will spot a model that has already been "used" in competition because it looks familiar to me. Please do only submit new works of yours.
  15. By submitting your entry you declare that all work on the model(s) submitted was done by yourself and yourself alone. That does not exclude verbal advice given by others of course! Smile
  16. Size restrictions: anything up to (including) a model on a Ogre-sized base is allowed. This includes cavalry (which counts as a single model). A dragon or giant-base is too big.
Good luck with your minis boys,

LET'S GET STARTED!

Last edited by Admin Tom on Thu 16 Oct 2008 - 8:13; edited 27 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://boringmordheimblog.blogspot.com
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 4 Aug 2008 - 0:48

First let me say:

WAHOOO!!!!
I can't wait!

Admin Tom wrote:
your opinion
I think that is fine. I really couldn't care less when it ends. I'll be there either way.

Questions:
1)Can each member only enter one mini? Or could someone have two entries into the same competition?
2) I'm sure you can't enter previously painted minis(?) but what about partially painted minis?...( ie: I have a mini I base coated already and have been waiting for the perfect time to paint him.)
Back to top Go down
http://mordheim.ashtonsanders.com
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Trading Reputation : 6

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 4 Aug 2008 - 2:09

ok great Very Happy starting my mini right away Smile the certificates look nice dude!
Back to top Go down
matt
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
matt

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 4 Aug 2008 - 8:22

I'll have to start painting some models i guess Very Happy

and @ 12), i think 2 month is good, even closer to 'to much' then to 'too less'

Last edited by matt on Mon 4 Aug 2008 - 10:38; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 4 Aug 2008 - 9:15

First off, those certificates look freaking bad-ass! And the medals will be looking good beneath my monk warband icon as well. Razz

I do have a question: are we allowed to submit miniatures for (un-)official Mordheim rules only? (Big surpirse I'm asking this, hum...) What I am asking is: may I paint e.g. an awesome marauder miniature for the Marauders of Chaos warband from BTB and submit that? If so, where are the confinements that prevent people from submitting their random best Warhammer model (which can't be prevented I guess)?

Maybe one can only submit a mini that fits to one of the warbands from the "primary warband played" list and players who see their warband missing their can still contact you in time to add an appropriate button. Seems like a good way of handling it to me.

The recurring question: Does size matter? Say I wanted to paint a dragon for the Monster Hunt scenario, could I submit that? Is there a restriction to the base size (20mm, 25mm, 40mm, 50mm, larger)?

Last question: Does "Single Miniature" exclude mounted warriors?

EDIT: Forgot to say something about the deadline: October is fine with me.
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 4 Aug 2008 - 12:32

Awesome. I think I'm in. I do have an idea for a cool model already that I will submit.

One question: who are the judges? Do you have a check list with categories and points etc or are you judging from the 'feeling' you get from looking at the pics.

A suggestion for verifying authenticity: you could ask people to submit at least one photo which includes not only the mini but also a small sheet of paper reading "Golden Tom #1 entry by ____".

Finally, you might like to add the above points to the initial post so it's easier to find all the rules for the competition.
Done.
-- Admin Tom
Back to top Go down
Duce
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
Duce

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 4 Aug 2008 - 13:29

Tom,

Would small model scale trophies work? like winning warband gets small trophy and ribbions for winning 2nd place gets silver versions and 3rd bronze.

Could play it like winning a campaign of such. so when the warband takes to the field they have the trophy to show off and the ribbons etc?

Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 4 Aug 2008 - 13:50

Could you explain that a little further please, Duce?

I am not entirely sure I understand what you meant...
I haven't found a way of making trophies unfortunately.

Did you mean make little ribbons/trophy icons on the winning pics, in the Hall of Fame?

DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 4 Aug 2008 - 14:13

MY DUMB QUESTION OF THE DAY:
Will photos ALL the entries be posted or will it be limited to the "winners"? I would tend to go for the former; re, if our fellow forumites take the time & effort to produce personal MASTER PIECES, it would be cool to see them even if they didn't ring the bell.
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 4 Aug 2008 - 14:22

DeafNala wrote:
MY DUMB QUESTION OF THE DAY:
Will photos ALL the entries be posted or will it be limited to the "winners"? I would tend to go for the former; re, if our fellow forumites take the time & effort to produce personal MASTER PIECES, it would be cool to see them even if they didn't ring the bell.

I concur. One thread in the gallery section with all entrants would be nice.
Back to top Go down
Andy
Veteran
Veteran
Andy

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 4 Aug 2008 - 14:28

cianty wrote:
One question: who are the judges? Do you have a check list with categories and points etc or are you judging from the 'feeling' you get from looking at the pics.
Maybe a poll could work: put each entry up and then ask everyone on the forum to vote, maybe even keep the entries anonymous?
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 4 Aug 2008 - 14:30

Sizzling Gromril wrote:
cianty wrote:
Maybe a poll could work: put each entry up and then ask everyone on the forum to vote, maybe even keep the entries anonymous?

I think Tom already said that he wouldn't wanna do it this way. Plus the polls are restricted to 10 entries.
Back to top Go down
Andy
Veteran
Veteran
Andy

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 4 Aug 2008 - 14:36

Ah, right.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 4 Aug 2008 - 14:40

I was hoping Tom would be the judge; re, he's fair, impartial, AND can be bribed with chocolates Suspect .
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 4 Aug 2008 - 16:31

Of course all entries will be displayed. I have yet to decide how to handle the "Hall of Fame" exactly, but rest assured, your work will not go unnoticed even if you make last place!
Admin Tom wrote:

7) Your pictures will not be revealed until the winners are known. All entries will be published at the same time.

Note: There will be no "ranking" after 3rd position but honorable mentions if applicable.

There should be 3 judges (myself being one of them), but I haven't contacted the other two yet, on purpose.
Also I will not reveal their identity. Sorry Cianty Wink They are to stay anonymous. We don't want certain people sending chocolate bribes to them, do we? Very Happy (You may of course always bribe the admin though).

cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 4 Aug 2008 - 17:06

Admin Tom wrote:
There should be 3 judges (myself being one of them), but I haven't contacted the other two yet, on purpose.
Also I will not reveal their identity. Sorry Cianty Wink They are to stay anonymous. We don't want certain people sending chocolate bribes to them, do we? Very Happy (You may of course always bribe the admin though).

Oooh, Tom keeps silent. How very Suspect. Well, I'm already all bounce for the competition. As long as I can still send my chocolate bars to the king it's all thumbsup.

Alright, give me a little time to scratch and study so then I will :magister: you all!

Just jocolor !
Back to top Go down
Ezekiel
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Ezekiel

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Merchants (BTB) Merchants (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 4 Aug 2008 - 17:16

Competitions? Brilliant!

One question... does it need to be a warband model? or can you also opt for a random encounter? -( got a fully painted warband, and the one I'm working on now is fairly unofficial and utterly out of place compared to the "normal" warbands) But if I were to paint a fanatic, a zombie, or stray dogs or so, could that work?
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysthconcepts.nl
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 4 Aug 2008 - 18:37

Well Done , cianty: a New Language, Smileyish! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Duce
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
Duce

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 4 Aug 2008 - 19:45

Sorry Tom poor wording from me,

I mean you could model small ribbons for the models to have glued onto them (With some emblem or symbol representing your blog/forums), and send them out to the winners with the certificate. Means the minis have a decoration so as to speak.

So you could model small parchments/trophies/neck medallions etc. small touch which has a good story behind it.

Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 4 Aug 2008 - 20:22

LOL @ Cianty's "smiley talk"!

@ Duce: That is a very good idea actually Duce. Thanks for the input.
Although I won't make small ribbons for this comp, I will keep your idea in mind for the next one. These ribbons require some thought and some designing... I prefer to give it a little more thought.
But thanks for sharing the idea! thumbsup

Ezekiel wrote:
if I were to paint a fanatic, a zombie, or stray dogs or so, could that work?

The fanatic is in the Orcs and Goblin rules. So yes.

Zombies are part of the Undead warband. Yes.

I can't remember any mention of stray dogs however... Why not submit a Witch Hunter Warhound instead?
I don't know what exactly you have in mind. You decide. Just keep in mind that the motto is: commonly accepted
Mordheim stuff. Other people will be looking at your creations, and
they should be able to recognise your miniatures and place them in a
context without much explaination. You don't want them to go "Huh?
What?", do you? Smile

Last edited by Admin Tom on Mon 4 Aug 2008 - 20:30; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://boringmordheimblog.blogspot.com
Ezekiel
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Ezekiel

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Merchants (BTB) Merchants (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 4 Aug 2008 - 21:37

Hehe, well, in general, that's actually what I try to accomplish with most of my activities... Razz

But I see your point, and think I'll work it out just fine, and get a nice submission done in time. JEUJ! painting!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysthconcepts.nl
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 4 Aug 2008 - 21:45

Added a little poll to the thread to get an idea of the number of people participating (from the forum).

Would be great if you could take a sec to vote! Wink
Cheers,
Admin Tom

Enabled vote cancelling to allow people to keep the poll as up-to-date as possible
-cianty

DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 Icon_minitimeTue 5 Aug 2008 - 12:47

Sad Sorry, Tom. Due logistical problems, financial ruin, AND the imminent necessity to relocate SOMEWHERE, I most probably, will not be able to enter this year. Sad

IDEA: for medals on the minis, there ARE always those Purity Seals ala 40K. I think you can get packs of them from Forge World [of course, I COULD be wrong Suspect ].
Back to top Go down
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Trading Reputation : 6

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 Icon_minitimeTue 5 Aug 2008 - 12:49

you're right, http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/QUATERMASTERS_STORE_WITCH_HUNTERS_27.html Smile Or ask people if they got some loose ones, will be cheaper pirat
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 Icon_minitimeTue 5 Aug 2008 - 13:44

DeafNala wrote:
will not be able to enter this year. Sad

I am very sorry to hear that Deaf...

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Golden Tom Competition 2008   Golden Tom Competition 2008 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Golden Tom Competition 2008
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next