Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)

Go down 
+98
Csilva
ryryak
Rhydderch
Heretical
Lorka
Dapper
MagicJuggler
Sampson97
Citizen Sade
The Hobo Hunter
2704ENG
Yodhrin
Athanatosz
bitxo
mitokun
Calimbandil
Lord 0
Braddoc
FioredeiLiberi
Nordheim
Ranez
Grimscull
floedebolle
MasterSpark
Caledore
Josiah_Blessed
wrinklestiltskin
xarly22
Darthvegeta800
butthole_serfdom
DB 2.0
NoisyAssassin
beninator
Pikey
Aipha
avarua
Arathorn
Captain Ludwig of Altdorf
Mayonnaise
Pan Domingo
totzro
Jonadams2
Vagabond
qazbnm
BigD
Drut
tuxedokman
Nasse
HumanFly
WarbossKurgan
havre
Spectre76
brokenv
Pervavita
chaos wolf
aviphysics
plainoldandrew
Plutz
Lucas Blackwolf
Pilgrim Pod
Per
Pararoxy
Katsuhiko JiNNai
xlins
siredge
luckyjoe
Dribble Joy
Montegue
Eliazar
Pfreck
Soulblight
Bjornur
TreGod
felixjaeger
Alcaeus
Alex
BeanoMcsheff
Valtiel
Colonel_kex
Horatius
CountBale
Edyy
Rhoaran
smokezombie
jkeg
Commander Von Drake
BalrogTheBuff
Odin Morgrimmsson
Von Kurst
Louis
caratacos
SerialMoM
folketsfiende
Vissah
Saranor
Nexie
Skavenslayer
Dahag
102 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
chaos wolf
Warrior
Warrior
chaos wolf

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Feb 2012 - 14:24

Hi, I'm new here and to the game, did my intro in the newbies section and now I'm looking for advice on my warband.

I'm going to be playing a possessed warband that consists of:
Magister with spear-80
Possessed with scorpion tail-130
Mutant with black blood, hammer and shield-63
2 Beastmen with swords-110
2 Brethren with bows-80
37 GC left over

Alternately, I was thinking about dropping the mutant and adding a naked (no mutations) possessed for a total of 490 GC.

Are either of these ideas any good? What should I change? If it helps, I'm going to facing a lot of Skaven, 1 undead, and a couple of orc warbands.
Back to top Go down
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
folketsfiende

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Feb 2012 - 15:22

chaos wolf wrote:
Hi, I'm new here and to the game, did my intro in the newbies section and now I'm looking for advice on my warband.

I'm going to be playing a possessed warband that consists of:
Magister with spear-80
Possessed with scorpion tail-130
Mutant with black blood, hammer and shield-63
2 Beastmen with swords-110
2 Brethren with bows-80
37 GC left over

Alternately, I was thinking about dropping the mutant and adding a naked (no mutations) possessed for a total of 490 GC.

Are either of these ideas any good? What should I change? If it helps, I'm going to facing a lot of Skaven, 1 undead, and a couple of orc warbands.
The golden rule of campaign play is always max out on heroes, cause these bring in the gold that you need. The first few games with Possessed are best played defensively. You will have few members, but it might be the best road to travel to have two cheap henchmen, that can be sacrificed for an early rout, with all your heroes not out of action. So, I would drop the beastmen and try to add one more possessed and one more mutant if possible. When playing Skaven and Orcs make sure to remember that your possessed cause fear.
Back to top Go down
aviphysics
Champion
Champion
aviphysics

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Feb 2012 - 22:01

folketsfiende wrote:
The first few games with Possessed are best played defensively. You will have few members, but it might be the best road to travel to have two cheap henchmen, that can be sacrificed for an early rout, with all your heroes not out of action. So, I would drop the beastmen and try to add one more possessed and one more mutant if possible. When playing Skaven and Orcs make sure to remember that your possessed cause fear.

I hate this part of your advice. It is basically saying, you are almost certainly going to lose the first few games and lose badly so you should minimize you losses by not playing the game.

BTW, if you have five guys (four heroes and one henchmen), then he will have to get one hero OOA before he can route anyway and will still only have 3 heroes to looks for wyrdstone.

What I would definitely change about your warband is ditching those shields. Even with house rules giving them +2 to armor save they are just about even with double clubs (assuming the opponent isn't using an axe or other armor penetrating weapon). When combined with armor shields make a lot more sense.

It does seem in your interest to start with 2 mutants but I would be inclined to save the second possessed for later.
Back to top Go down
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
folketsfiende

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Feb 2012 - 9:39

aviphysics wrote:
I hate this part of your advice. It is basically saying, you are almost certainly going to lose the first few games and lose badly so you should minimize you losses by not playing the game.
I agree. It is boring to play that way, but campaignwise it still might be good. I recently started up my own Possessed gang, and promptly opted for the cool way with six warriors (one henchman), refusing to rout early. But then I played against a six strong orc warband (one troll), so both players were in it for the fun. What it all boils down to is that in a competetive environment the boring strategy is probably the best. Hopefully though, you're playing with people who are in it for the fun, thus allowing you to try out a different route than routing.
Back to top Go down
chaos wolf
Warrior
Warrior
chaos wolf

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Feb 2012 - 3:41

By dropping the beastmen, I'd have enough to get a plain possessed and a mutant, but the mutant wouldn't have any weapons besides the free dagger. Is this a good option?
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Feb 2012 - 5:38

more heroes is good. As to the Mutant that is unarmed, well you just can keep him back for a battle and use him for support at most. After that first battle then you can buy him more weapons.
the plain possessed is still a beast.
if your wanting to hold off on that one possessed for a game it will only cost you about 15 gold from the search and then save the gold (other then the gold used for your unarmed mutant's weapons) and then by your possessed after the first battle with a mutation.
Back to top Go down
aviphysics
Champion
Champion
aviphysics

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Feb 2012 - 5:38

Pervavita wrote:
more heroes is good. As to the Mutant that is unarmed, well you just can keep him back for a battle and use him for support at most. After that first battle then you can buy him more weapons.
the plain possessed is still a beast.
if your wanting to hold off on that one possessed for a game it will only cost you about 15 gold from the search and then save the gold (other then the gold used for your unarmed mutant's weapons) and then by your possessed after the first battle with a mutation.

I think the average lost during the search for wyrstone from 4 vs 5 heroes is more like 7 to 10 GC. It is really less than that cause you will almost certainly get 1 or 2 heroes knocked OOA without any front line henchmen to take the fall.
Back to top Go down
brokenv
Knight
Knight
brokenv

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri 30 Mar 2012 - 22:10

So, I'm starting a Pit Fighter Warband

My focus is just Heroes and Ogre (I know, every OOA will hurt)

Pit King (Orc Style) - 100gc
Veteran 1 (Orc Style) - 55gc
Veteran 2 (Orc Style) - 55gc
Dwarf Troll Slayer, 2 Dwarf Axes - 80gc
Ogre, Helmet, Sword, Short Sword, Light Armour - 210gc

We are playing with house rules, and Short swords are 5gc

My plan is to hide in buildings until I get charged and force a fast rout (or voluntary rout asap) just so I can get some gold for some Pursuers to make a more balanced warband. I'm keen on Ogre to start so I can give him more time to get Lad's Got Talent. Pit Veterans are insanely cheap imo, and may be a bit broken, but oh well...
Back to top Go down
http://mordheimact.tabletopgeeks.com/
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Spectre76

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun 22 Apr 2012 - 9:17

Hello!
Been an active Mordheim player for three years,and here's the list that started my most successful campaign. Pretty straightforward, but effective.

Reiklanders: "The Fortune Hunters"

Heroes
Captain with Sword, Shield, and Dueling Pistol: 100
Champion with 2-Handed Weapon: 50
Champion with Sword and Shield: 50
Youngblood with Axe and Shield: 25
Youngblood with Hammer and Dagger: 18

Henchmen
2 Swordsmen with Swords and Daggers: 90
3 Marksmen with Bows: 105
2 Warriors with Axes and Daggers: 60

2 Crowns left over.

This group is moderately armed and lightly armored, but has the max # of heroes, though the turnover rate for henchmen is usually high in the beginning. But those all-important "Lad's got Talent" rolls can beef up up this bunch a LOT, and having 3 groups means 3 chances for that roll when they advance. (Currently my most powerful fighter actually is a promoted Swordsman) I prefer Reiklanders for the Captain's leadership range bonus, and promoted Marksmen make GREAT heroes. As soon as I can, I'll get pics posted.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thetonezone.net
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon 23 Apr 2012 - 21:44

My turnover rate with henchmen is always high. Smile

Definitely a good solid list. I like crossbows better than dueling pistols, but I'll take one if it suits the model better.
Back to top Go down
havre
Champion
Champion
havre

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon 23 Apr 2012 - 21:49

Here's my take on the reiklanders. It's quite similar to your, spectre76. I just have a slightly more dual wield focus:
Boss: Mercenary captain, dagger, brace of duelling pistols
Hero: Champion, dagger, sword
Hero: Champion, dagger, sword
Hero: Youngblood. dagger, mace
Hero: Youngblood, dagger, dagger
Henchmen: 3xMarksmen, dagger, dagger, bow
Henchmen: 2xSwordsmen, dagger, sword
Henchmen: 2xWarrior, dagger, mace
Hired Sword: Halfling Scout. pot, bow
sum 498. Warband rating 101

The scout is crap at cc but with as high BS as the Marksmen (BS 4) he's a bargain in my opinion.
And when you go duelling - you might as well bring a pair.
Back to top Go down
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Spectre76

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed 25 Apr 2012 - 0:20

Can you begin a campaign with a hired sword? I've lent out my rulebook so I can't be sure, but I was under the impression that hired swords, like rare equipment, are only available after the first skirmish. Somebody please clarify this.
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed 25 Apr 2012 - 16:10

Spectre76 wrote:
Can you begin a campaign with a hired sword? I've lent out my rulebook so I can't be sure, but I was under the impression that hired swords, like rare equipment, are only available after the first skirmish. Somebody please clarify this.
It's rarely done but there is nothing stopping you doing it. I always think of Hired Swords as being just for the last third of a campaign myself! pirat
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
HumanFly
Veteran
Veteran
HumanFly

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Carnival of Chaos (EIF) Carnival of Chaos (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon 30 Apr 2012 - 23:48

Hi,
pretty newbie about game rules and mecanics so here there's my first warband list based a bit on what i like and on obsveration of other possessed warbands,thanks towhoever will help me:

Magister 73
-dagger,club
Possessed 140
-claw
Mutant 73
-extra arm , dagger, axe,club
Mutant 73
-scorpion tail,axe,club
Darksoul 45
-two handed waepon,dagger
Brethen 30
-axe,dagger
Brethen 28
-club,dagger
Brethen 28
hammer,dagger
Back to top Go down
Nasse
Hero
Hero
Nasse

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue 1 May 2012 - 12:35

Well here goes, this is what I'm currently considering for my Bretonnian warband:

Questing Knight 80
Sword 5
Mace 3
Helmet 10

Knight Errant 50
Sword 5
Mace 3
Helmet 10

Knight Errant 50
Sword 5
Mace 3
Helmet 10

Squire 15
Mace 3

Squire 15
Mace 3

Squire 15
Mace 3

2 Men-at-Arms 50
Halberds 20

Man-at-Arms 25
Mace 3

Man-at-Arms 25
Mace 3

Bowman 20
longbow 15

Bowman 20
longbow 15

Total 484 crowns
Back to top Go down
Horatius
Warlord
Warlord
Horatius

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue 1 May 2012 - 13:02

HumanFly,
your possessed look good. The one thing i would change is the darksoul. I don´t think they are worth it, the beastmen are much superior. Maybe you can squeeze one in if you save some gold elsewhere.

Nasse,
your Bretonians feel strange with only helmets and no other armour Wink
Seriously, i would buy the helmets later and invest in an additional bowman. If you go down the fluffy route i would buy armour at least for the Questing Knight. But armour is expensive and not that usefull, so for gameplay reasons i understand the lack of it.
Back to top Go down
Nasse
Hero
Hero
Nasse

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue 1 May 2012 - 13:35

Horatius wrote:

Nasse,
your Bretonians feel strange with only helmets and no other armour Wink
Seriously, i would buy the helmets later and invest in an additional bowman. If you go down the fluffy route i would buy armour at least for the Questing Knight. But armour is expensive and not that usefull, so for gameplay reasons i understand the lack of it.
From their rules
The maximum number of warriors in your warband may never exceed 12.
I'll get armour after a couple of games, if I went the Fluffy route I'd have 3 heavily equipped and mounted knights.
Anyway, this is just preliminary, I might still change the warband I'm gonna get if I get inspiration or advice.
Back to top Go down
HumanFly
Veteran
Veteran
HumanFly

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Carnival of Chaos (EIF) Carnival of Chaos (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue 1 May 2012 - 13:53

Horatius wrote:
HumanFly,
your possessed look good. The one thing i would change is the darksoul. I don´t think they are worth it, the beastmen are much superior. Maybe you can squeeze one in if you save some gold elsewhere.
maybe i ca swap the darksoul for a fly headed beastman or take off the claw from the possessed Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Horatius
Warlord
Warlord
Horatius

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue 1 May 2012 - 17:39

Oops, i did not see the maximum of 12 members. In that case i still would not buy the helmets but would "convert" some men at arms into bowmen. Shooting is only really effective if you have lots of it, two bows are simply not enough in my experience. Another way to do this would be to give the squires normal bows. Even though they have a ballistic skill of two they might just pick up some additional XP that way. And it is handy for situations where you do not want to risk another hero in close combat because it will hurt your income too much.
Back to top Go down
Nasse
Hero
Hero
Nasse

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue 1 May 2012 - 21:58

Horatius wrote:
Oops, i did not see the maximum of 12 members. In that case i still would not buy the helmets but would "convert" some men at arms into bowmen. Shooting is only really effective if you have lots of it, two bows are simply not enough in my experience. Another way to do this would be to give the squires normal bows. Even though they have a ballistic skill of two they might just pick up some additional XP that way. And it is handy for situations where you do not want to risk another hero in close combat because it will hurt your income too much.
Here's something I was recommended on a Bretonnian forum

Questing Knight 80
Warhorse 80
Heavy armour 50
Mace 3
Shield 5
Helmet 10

Knight Errant 50
Heavy Armour 50
Mace 3
Shield 5
Helmet 10

Knight Errant
Heavy Armour 50
Mace 3
Shield 5
Helmet 10

Squire 15
Mace 3

Squire 15
Mace 3

Works by being the underdog in every game and gaining money (and thus more troopers) fast
Back to top Go down
Horatius
Warlord
Warlord
Horatius

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed 2 May 2012 - 18:41

That small a starting warband is a risk i have not taken yet. It can work if you play defensively at start and rout after loosing two squires, but i do not think it will be much fun for three games or so. And if you loose the Questing Knight you are done for, so you have to keep him back.
On equipment: Statistically two hand weapons are alwas better than a shield, so unless you use some house rules i would not take them. The usefulness of the warhorse depends on which mounted rules you use. If you use the rules with the altered injury table (from empire in flames i think) it is a big risk for your knight because it can easily fall on you - so discuss it first. It can make strong countercharge unit, so it might be worth it.
Back to top Go down
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Spectre76

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed 2 May 2012 - 23:10

Not sure the 80 gc for the warhorse is worth it. That could buy you another hero or a couple more henchmen with bows. Also, as I understand it, the Underdog rules give you extra XP, not gold. Sure, the heroes that survive would advance real quick, but if you lose one, you're up the creek. High risk/high reward?
Back to top Go down
Nasse
Hero
Hero
Nasse

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri 4 May 2012 - 10:16

Here's what I figured for a Reiklander warband

Captain 60
Crossbow
Mace

Champion 35
Halberd
Helmet

Champion 35
Halberd
Helmet

Youngblood 15
Mace
Helmet
Buckler

Youngblood 15
Mace
Helmet
Buckler

Marksman 25
Crossbow

Marksman 25
Crossbow

Marksman 25
Crossbow

Warrior 25
Sword
Mace

Warrior 25
Sword
Mace

Warband total 490
10 members
Back to top Go down
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Spectre76

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri 4 May 2012 - 15:58

Pretty powerful with 4 crossbow-armed models at BS4. I'd take the 10 gc you have left over, and give each of your marksmen clubs. You'd have 1 gc left over, plus, it would give them a bit more protection if enemies get too close. Armed with just a dagger is not a good way to be in a fight.
Back to top Go down
tuxedokman
General
General
tuxedokman

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu 28 Jun 2012 - 22:34

New possessed rework, i keep rethinking how to do this one

build #1
Magister (spear) 80

possessed (spines) 125

mutant (spines clubx2) 63

mutant (spines clubx2) 63

beast man (clubx2) 51

beast man (clubx2) 51

breatherine (clubx2) 31

breatherine (bow) 35

its pretty self explainitory, i wanna get that Auto OOA hit on stunned and knocked down oppenents and save up for a really wicked 2nd possessed. i'm having so many second thoughts about my possessed. its why i really want to run them its so damn hard! haha thoughts?

(note: this is a starting roster for a campain)

Back to top Go down
http://neeel.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)
Page 7 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 16  Next