Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

First attempt on painting a miniature...

Go down 
+9
sianpää
Radical_Edward
smokezombie
Tintin
DeafNala
Ordo Septenarius
Boreas_NL
BurnTheWitch
Vagabond
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Vagabond
Ancient
Ancient
Vagabond

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned: none

First attempt on painting a miniature... Empty
PostSubject: First attempt on painting a miniature...   First attempt on painting a miniature... Icon_minitimeTue 7 Jun 2011 - 21:23

My Reiklander Captain.

[img]First attempt on painting a miniature... Dscf0018[/img]
[img]First attempt on painting a miniature... Dscf0019[/img]

Still need to finish highlighting and obviously the base, but I'm looking for correct brushes to do the job. Also tried to paint the eyes and was so disappointed with results that I repainted the face! Lack of skill... I'll post finished pictures soon. Of course comments and critiques are welcome...
Back to top Go down
BurnTheWitch
General
General
BurnTheWitch

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ogres (BTB) Ogres (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: First attempt on painting a miniature...   First attempt on painting a miniature... Icon_minitimeTue 7 Jun 2011 - 21:50

First atempt??? Really...? Neutral
Must say you got skills and if this is your first atempt then I'm jealous!
Back to top Go down
Boreas_NL
Ancient
Ancient
Boreas_NL

Trading Reputation : 6

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: First attempt on painting a miniature...   First attempt on painting a miniature... Icon_minitimeTue 7 Jun 2011 - 21:53

Great model! Nice job on the face, feather and sash...

Is this really your first attempt? Or are you just messing with us?
Back to top Go down
Ordo Septenarius
Warlord
Warlord
Ordo Septenarius

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: First attempt on painting a miniature...   First attempt on painting a miniature... Icon_minitimeTue 7 Jun 2011 - 22:04

Seriously, is this really your first? The skin tone on the face is just awesome.
Back to top Go down
Vagabond
Ancient
Ancient
Vagabond

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: First attempt on painting a miniature...   First attempt on painting a miniature... Icon_minitimeTue 7 Jun 2011 - 22:23

You got me guys! Smile Actually this is my second model, but first with more serious approach. First one was painted just to see how paints and brushes will behave, so it doesn't counts! Wink Or it does...
Skin tone is just GW Elvish Flesh mixed with red acrylic paint for house painting, and then washed with Devlan Mud.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: First attempt on painting a miniature...   First attempt on painting a miniature... Icon_minitimeTue 7 Jun 2011 - 22:27

You're a natural...that is a FINE LOOKING piece of work that someone with years of experience wouldn't be ashamed of. Keep up the GREAT WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Tintin
Warlord
Warlord
Tintin

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: First attempt on painting a miniature...   First attempt on painting a miniature... Icon_minitimeTue 7 Jun 2011 - 23:40

*Cough* ehum... your first model you say eh? Its really great, keep it up and welcome to the wonderful world of lead addiction! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
smokezombie
Warlord
Warlord
smokezombie

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: First attempt on painting a miniature...   First attempt on painting a miniature... Icon_minitimeTue 7 Jun 2011 - 23:44

Good job! You should be proud of him.
Perhaps try painting a elvish flesh highlight on the skin followed by another wash to tie them together.
But, to be honest....... you don't really need to, the only thing he really needs is a base Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Radical_Edward
Warrior
Warrior
Radical_Edward

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: First attempt on painting a miniature...   First attempt on painting a miniature... Icon_minitimeWed 8 Jun 2011 - 0:00

That face does look pretty good, with washing on the armor to bring it down a notch and a bit more highlighting on the sash this guy will look like an A+!

don't forget to try out basing too ;D
Back to top Go down
Vagabond
Ancient
Ancient
Vagabond

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: First attempt on painting a miniature...   First attempt on painting a miniature... Icon_minitimeWed 8 Jun 2011 - 21:08

I ruined it guys! Ruined it all! Smile Tried to paint the eyes again and... It was horrible, paint was all over his face! Smile
So, back to the drawing board! As soon as I repaint the figure I'll post the pictures...
Back to top Go down
BurnTheWitch
General
General
BurnTheWitch

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: First attempt on painting a miniature...   First attempt on painting a miniature... Icon_minitimeWed 8 Jun 2011 - 21:36

Vagabond wrote:
I ruined it guys! Ruined it all! Smile Tried to paint the eyes again and... It was horrible, paint was all over his face! Smile
So, back to the drawing board! As soon as I repaint the figure I'll post the pictures...

Aw, that's too bad! Well, back up on the horse! Wink I thi I would leave out the eyes if I were you... I hate paiting huma eyes aswell! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Vagabond
Ancient
Ancient
Vagabond

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: First attempt on painting a miniature...   First attempt on painting a miniature... Icon_minitimeWed 8 Jun 2011 - 22:06

I'll never even think about painting the eyes again! Smile
Back to top Go down
BurnTheWitch
General
General
BurnTheWitch

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: First attempt on painting a miniature...   First attempt on painting a miniature... Icon_minitimeWed 8 Jun 2011 - 22:46

Btw, my N butto is fu**ed ad oly works sometimes Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
sianpää
Veteran
Veteran
sianpää

Trading Reputation : 1

PostSubject: Re: First attempt on painting a miniature...   First attempt on painting a miniature... Icon_minitimeWed 8 Jun 2011 - 23:06

Great job for first (or second Wink) figure.

About painting eyes: Don't worry about it, they are the hardest part to paint in a model, and nobody who picks up a brush for the first time paints them flawless.
And remember that practice makes perfect. Smile
Back to top Go down
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
folketsfiende

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: First attempt on painting a miniature...   First attempt on painting a miniature... Icon_minitimeThu 9 Jun 2011 - 13:11

What size is the brush you use for the eyes? I go with a really fine brush to paint the white, and take a very fine black pencil to finish it off. I have to admit I sometimes screw the eyes up a bit, but as long as you're not too generous with the amount of paint on your brush, you won't mess up the rest of the face...

Lastly, I agree with former posters - very, very good for your first serious try. Welcome to the addictive world of miniature painting.
Back to top Go down
Vagabond
Ancient
Ancient
Vagabond

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: First attempt on painting a miniature...   First attempt on painting a miniature... Icon_minitimeThu 9 Jun 2011 - 22:50

I thought I can do that with brush size 0, but obviously I was wrong! Which brush size is the most suitable for this kind of job? Double 0 or even thinner...
Back to top Go down
Myntokk
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Myntokk

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: First attempt on painting a miniature...   First attempt on painting a miniature... Icon_minitimeFri 10 Jun 2011 - 6:28

When I paint eyes, I pull out a special brush that I've had for waaaaay too long, and only has one bristle left (or at least only one that hasn't been pulled out or torn short somehow). I dip it in white paint, which usually leaves one rather large drop on the tip of this bristle. I then dab that on my newspaper or whatever surface I'm painting on to get most of it off, and go in to put a little spot of white on either side of the eye. I guess I should have qualified that I paint the whole eye black first with a very thin brush. Anyways, that works for me.

Different people have different methods - some like to paint the eye white and do a spot of black in the middle, others like to paint the eye black and do two spots of white on the sides. I think both look good, and really you usually can't tell the difference in a finished model.

Seriously, though, that's an incredible paint job for your first effort, and it takes most painters a very long time to develop the steady hand needed to paint eyes (or a lot of rank'n'file troops for practice). For a long time I skipped eyes, and I still do on a lot of models if they're not important characters or if the face is just too small. My only real critique would be that the hat, pistol, and pants are very dark and might benefit from one more highlight just on the edges to bring a little more depth to them. The highlighting on the sash looks pretty darn good, though.
Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: First attempt on painting a miniature...   First attempt on painting a miniature... Icon_minitimeSat 11 Jun 2011 - 22:15

I use Dheneb Stone for the eye and most times I paint it first before the skin. Then I put as small a dot of Chaos Black as I can manage Smile

The sash in particular on this second-ever-mini is very good! Keep it up!
Back to top Go down
Vagabond
Ancient
Ancient
Vagabond

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: First attempt on painting a miniature...   First attempt on painting a miniature... Icon_minitimeThu 30 Jun 2011 - 9:15

I painted it again, so here it is:

[img]First attempt on painting a miniature... Dscf0010[/img]
[img]First attempt on painting a miniature... Dscf0011[/img]

I'm considering to paint more highlights on face and a little more on armor... Of course comments and critiques are welcome again...
Back to top Go down
Theorox
Warlord
Warlord
Theorox

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: First attempt on painting a miniature...   First attempt on painting a miniature... Icon_minitimeThu 30 Jun 2011 - 10:29

Ah great, more people to hate. FUUU!! That's not fair! Sad

On a more serious note, that is spectacular for a beginner! When I started I just painted this part blue, that part green, that part black...and so on. Smile Didn't know what a wash(Well the paint kind...), drybrush or highlight was. Still don't use highlights, but at least I'm a decent painter now. ^^

Theo
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: First attempt on painting a miniature...   First attempt on painting a miniature... Icon_minitimeThu 30 Jun 2011 - 13:28

That's quite an improvement. With all the metal on the mini it's not the easiest of pieces to get a nice finish on...you did a FINE job. The skin tones look GREAT & the scenicing on the base enhances the overall effect. WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First attempt on painting a miniature...   First attempt on painting a miniature... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First attempt on painting a miniature...
Page 1 of 1