Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed)

Go down 
+28
OttoMunoz
dalanshin
werekin
KRUG_666
jackanory
Paluke
Xarx
Drugart
Chad
Ezekiel
wamez
Skavenblight
Ash
Ethlorien
Duce
matt
The Scavenger
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Da Bank
Admin Tom
Axel
Ashton
DeafNala
Tortiou
Tagnator
Erkwin
lord siwoc
cianty
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed)   Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 30 May 2008 - 15:17

Erkwin wrote:
DeafNala wrote:

BTW did the tree make a sound when it fell? scratch

You mean because no one was around to hear, except for the poor skeleton?

lol!
You got it! I figured Tortiou would have jumped on that one! thumbsup Although I suppose, if the Squished one was among the living, he or she might have heard it. I love these philosopical discussions. Sleep
Back to top Go down
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Trading Reputation : 6

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed)   Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 30 May 2008 - 15:23

ah sweet winter times Smile
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed)   Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 30 May 2008 - 17:03

Another great piece I didn't even notice the skeleton until someone mentioned it. Freaking awesome! I absolutely love how little of the skeleton you can see. Tree got a critical hit. lol

Good work.
Back to top Go down
http://mordheim.ashtonsanders.com
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Trading Reputation : 12

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed)   Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 30 May 2008 - 17:05

Good job Cianty! Fallen tree is awesome.

cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed)   Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 30 May 2008 - 17:25

Thank you all! It's so encouraging to read your kind words after the work is done.

So what's next?

Well, I didn't just order half a national park of Ziterdes trees. I also ordered a really well sculptured...

Chaos Tree
This awesomly chaotic tree comes from Micro Art Studio (note: if you click on the image on that site to enlarge the tree image you'll need to reload the site in order to close the enlarged image). I thought the tree fitted the table and theme perfectly and I am happy I ordered it. I hope I'll be able to paint it properly. Rolling Eyes

Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Chaost10

Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Chaost11

Full colour images coming soon!
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed)   Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 30 May 2008 - 17:34

Haha, that tree is crazy. I can't wait Wink
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed)   Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 30 May 2008 - 17:42

cianty wrote:
half a national park of Ziterdes trees.

rofl

DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed)   Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 30 May 2008 - 21:05

That is one seriously nasty tree [Smokey would urge you to carry matches around this sucker, LOTS OF MATCHES]. AND I can only imagine how incredible it's going to look once you've done your thing. So get cracking. thumbsup

@Admin Tom: Poof it's gone [Oh, if only all my miscues could so easily be banished]. Sometimes there is a fine line between humor & offense. When it is crossed an apology, at the least,may be expected. Ergo, I apologize. As profanity is not the way I normally express myself, no further occurrence should be expected. SO THER!E! Wink
Note: checking back through the thread, I see that the post I was responding to was in a different thread [old guys are easily confused]. So I guess you have no idea what I was poking fun at. It wasn't a particularly good poke any way. Embarassed

Wow, that's a lot of curse words for one sentence DeafNala. I understand you must be joking but I have to admit, as a non native speaker in english, I am having a hard time understanding the finesse of it.

Please try to limit that kind of talk in the future. Not because I feel offended, but because others, who don't know you as well as I do and/or are not native speakers in english, might be. Don't forget that text lacks intonation, and therefore sarcastic/humoristic comments are much more prone to misunderstandings than their spoken counterparts.
Thanks for your understanding and happy posting!
--Admin Tom

Last edited by DeafNala on Sat 31 May 2008 - 10:10; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed)   Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 30 May 2008 - 21:20

@ Cianty: Drybrushing is the way to go here I would say Smile Don't worry, trees are relatively easy to paint compared to minis Wink

DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed)   Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 31 May 2008 - 2:04

@cianty: check out www.zuzzy.com they have some cool chaos related items that might give you additional ideas.
I'm really am curious to see what you do with the Chaos Tree, & how you work it into your gaming board. This ought to be SO cool! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed)   Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 31 May 2008 - 10:11

Admin Tom wrote:
@ Cianty: Drybrushing is the way to go here I would say Smile Don't worry, trees are relatively easy to paint compared to minis Wink

I was hoping so. Barrels and stuff are also rather easy to do. Though, for them, I find it best to draw the wood grains individually with fine lines. This is a hell lot of work, of course.

DeafNala wrote:
@cianty: check out www.zuzzy.com they have some cool chaos related items that might give you additional ideas.
I'm really am curious to see what you do with the Chaos Tree, & how you work it into your gaming board. This ought to be SO cool! thumbsup

I already did (you posted that link some time ago). I do like some of that stuff a lot but American suppliers are not really an option for us Europeans, unless they have a European counterpart (like Old Glory Miniatures and Old Glory Miniatures UK [although the items are wayyy too expensive at their UK shop]). The shipping is the problem. US to EU is so incredibly expensive that you can't afford it in most cases (at least -I- cannot).
Back to top Go down
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed)   Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 31 May 2008 - 14:54

Cianty...awesome...great paint job on the minis.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed)   Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 31 May 2008 - 16:10

On the ZUZZY thingy: don't feel bad, I can't order from them either for lack of a Plastic Friend. I DO, however, borrow [read steal] ideas from them. Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 665330"Prepare To Be Boarded, ARRRH!"
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed)   Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 7 Jun 2008 - 21:00

I finished the Chaos Tree today. I think it came out ok. Nothing spectecular.. I'm not happy with the face but I'm a bit clueless which colours would have been better. Anyways, here it is:

Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Chaost12
Back to top Go down
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed)   Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 7 Jun 2008 - 21:05

well I like it good job as always we can say! Smile
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed)   Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 7 Jun 2008 - 21:55

I agree: Spectacular would be too modest. THAT SUCKER ROCKS! It's just so much beter than I would have anticipated; an excellent piece of work! BRAVO! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed)   Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 7 Jun 2008 - 22:11

Bravo! That is awesome. I think the colors are perfect. The tree doesn't look out of place at all. I'm sure it'll fit on your board nicely.
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed)   Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 8 Jun 2008 - 13:17

Very nice Cianty! Good job. And thanks for the sneak peak of what look like a chaos shrine/temple in the background.

NB: Nice Avatar! Smile left

cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed)   Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 9 Jun 2008 - 19:26

Admin Tom wrote:
And thanks for the sneak peak of what look like a chaos shrine/temple in the background.

Very heedful, Tom. This is my current scenery project...

The Barrow

A barrow is the centrepiece of one of the BTB special scenarios. During the campaign some of he warbands are searching it in the Cathayan borderlands/Northern Wastes as it's said to hold one of the dreaded Chaos Artefacts. Since I figured it's way cooler to have an actual terrain piece rather than a book with a marked edge for the entrance I decided to create one.

The barrow's core body/skeleton will be made of my last piece of 'hard foam'.

Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Barrow10

The two statues are standing on huge bases I made of the same foam. I had the two Chaos Warriors left from my Marauders of Chaos warband, for which I initially wanted to use them (as Champion) but then opted for way better models.
Using shields for statues is somewhat traditional for GW scenery I think, so I did so, too (took 'em from a Chaos Marauder sprue).

Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Barrow11

The base for the entire piece is sawed out of a large wooden plate; the same one I used for my snowy barricades. I had to file all the edges to make the base fit smothly on the table later. This took quite some time and it shows just how awesome the foam is for shaping compared to most other materials.

Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Barrow12

This barrow will be a pretty huge piece in the end, but that's cool. It's the burial vault of a mighty Chaos Champion after all!

Last edited by cianty on Mon 9 Jun 2008 - 20:22; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed)   Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 9 Jun 2008 - 19:47

Sweet. Looks cool

If I can ask: Once you enter the barrow, do you then play on a dungeon map against a chaos warband? Wink
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed)   Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 9 Jun 2008 - 20:03

Ashton wrote:
Sweet. Looks cool

If I can ask: Once you enter the barrow, do you then play on a dungeon map against a chaos warband? Wink

lol! No. Your heroes either find the item or they don't. There is no Undead Chaos Warrior warband inside haunting the site. Besides, there is enough bloodshed outside the barrow already (with gigantic monsters roaming the area), plus there is a seperate underground scenario in BTB (maybe I'll post some pics of us playing that scenario with the dungeon template tiles I created, if enough of you scream "please, cianty, you're the best" that is - LOL).
Back to top Go down
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed)   Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 9 Jun 2008 - 20:14

héhé! Some nice ideas and beginings! It looks awesome from te start, good job Smile
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed)   Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 9 Jun 2008 - 20:28

cianty wrote:
lol! No. Your heroes either find the item or they don't. There is no Undead Chaos Warrior warband inside haunting the site.

well nutz....

"please, cianty, you're the best" Wink
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed)   Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 9 Jun 2008 - 21:46

PLEASE, CIANTY; YOU'RE THE BEST!

There, that's one of us who'll humor you. Of course, you ARE the best; so that rather mitigates things. Suspect
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed)   Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 10 Jun 2008 - 7:59

Sweet guys! Embarassed YOU are the best! We'll be playing today so I'll suggest the scenario. If we don't get to play it I'll set it up for you anyways.

I made some progress yesterday, by the way.

Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Barrow13

Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Barrow14

Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Barrow15
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed)   Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed) - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cathayan Borderlands scenery (WIP+Completed)
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next