Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

the "Random Little Questions" thread

Go down 
+40
Ork
Major Sharpe
qazbnm
Stronzo
Von Kurst
Nasse
Spectre76
namemein
Citizen Sade
Lucas Blackwolf
Horatio
5pointer
Grimscull
xlins
SerialMoM
Saranor
Ordo Septenarius
Svenn
Pfreck
Karskin
Captain Bernhardt
Mordoten
CygnusMaximus
Eisenblume
Mithras
kadafwer
Koyote
vampirekhaine
eternaldream
pascal the rascal
bigoriginal
elChelli
DeafNala
Ancre
Chad
Eliazar
Ram Rock Ed First
Admin Tom
cianty
jackanory
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 19 Jun 2009 - 18:19

I frequently use Badab Black on my metals and it did not look horrible, but actually pretty ok (to me).
Back to top Go down
elChelli
Hero
Hero
elChelli

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 23 Jun 2009 - 15:04

a question how long does it takes until the greenstuf (~1:1) is dried? because i modelled yesterday evening and its not really hard now
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Trading Reputation : 12

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 23 Jun 2009 - 15:10

elChelli wrote:
how long does it takes until the greenstuf (~1:1) is dried?

3+ hours. I usually leave it over night though.

elChelli wrote:
because i modelled yesterday evening and its not really hard
now

That means you probably did not mix the 2 components thoroughly enough. It is essential to do that!
The best method is to make a yellow/blue sandwitch, then twist it, and then knead the hell out of it Smile

elChelli
Hero
Hero
elChelli

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 23 Jun 2009 - 15:18

it was all same green color... so it should bi mixed? or am i wrong?
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 23 Jun 2009 - 15:24

elChelli wrote:
it was all same green color... so it should bi mixed? or am i wrong?

Green stuff comes in 2 components: blue and yellow. When you mix them (and here it is essential that mixing is VERY thorough), the resulting putty is green, hence the name green stuff.

The mixed (green) putty usually cures in a few hours.

the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 2 Green_10

bigoriginal
Champion
Champion
bigoriginal

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 6 Jul 2009 - 6:37

Gonna try this first before I post a new thread. So I use games-workshop paints and I just stopped by my parents house and picked up some of my decade old paints that have dried out. (Used to play, starting back up with the mrs.) Is there anyway to wetten them back up? I put some water in and it seems to be working on one but not much on the others. What about boiling water?

The other thing is does anyone use other paints? I have never really mixed paints either since I don't think I could reproduce the colors for other units later...Basically anything you can teach me about painting would be wonderful. I have a steady brush hand but all my skill is putting colors in small spots and a bit of dry brushing. Thanks, Alex

PS I am loving this forum Smile

Edit: Just noticed green putty discussion, anyone using modeling wax? I get it cheap from my parents who are jewelers and jewelry suppliers. Green stuff is just so damn pricey the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 2 2194
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 6 Jul 2009 - 9:39

From my experience, you might have to buy new paints if you can't revive them with water. It's the same with mine, some are dried up but can be used with a wet brush, but some are completely screwed up and don't mix with the water at all any more.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 6 Jul 2009 - 10:39

One of my erstwhile friends was/is a sculptor of decorative style pewter minis. He used jewelers wax for his creation AND hisextensive conversions. The results were quite stunning & seemed quite durable.
There are a lot of jewelry items like head pins, jump rings, & chain that are fantastic for conversions & modeling. Your parents MAY be a treasure trove of cool things to liberate for your projects...just don't get caught Suspect .

I use Americana & Folk Art paints. If I were to switch, I go for the Vallejo paints for their range of colors & quality. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 6 Jul 2009 - 18:33

Eliazar wrote:
you might have to buy new paints if you can't revive them with water.

Ouch! NEVER "revive" your paints with water. It's the worst thing you can do. They will look nice and new for approximately 6 hours (maybe a week if you are lucky) before turning undead on you and haunting your dreams.... by that I mean that the paints will irreversibly dry out and remain water un-soluble.

I always use Acetone (super cheap) to "revive" my GW paints. But I mainly buy Vallejo (I highly recommend those), which virtually never dry out thanks to the use of cutting edge flasks (as opposed to GW's prehistoric pots).
The Acetone thing works on almost every dried out paint. In my experience very severe cases (paint has turned into a small cracked stone at the bottom of it's pot) cannot be saved, i.e. become clumpy.
But it works for most cases.

Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 6 Jul 2009 - 19:32

Good to know Smile
Back to top Go down
bigoriginal
Champion
Champion
bigoriginal

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 6 Jul 2009 - 22:34

Ha I buy the stuff from my parents at cost. They would have my head otherwise. affraid

I may have to check out Vallejo. GW paints are pretty frustrating at times.

Thanks again for the awesome forum

Alex
Back to top Go down
Ancre
Champion
Champion
Ancre

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 13 Jul 2009 - 1:47

I have a newb question - I have paint bottles, one GW and three Tamiya, with paint that is kinda oily, or have an oil-like or water-like layer on top or around it; the GW paint have a little of that and the Tamiya paints are like two parts, with oil up and color down.

I tried to reach for the paint with my GW bottle but it didn't worked well, the paint wasn't uniform, with or without mixing with the oil-stuff and with or without thinning with water (which I am not very good with anyways it seems). I haven't tried with the Tamiya pots, I have to admit I fear the result of my experimentations.

Should I re-mix the paints or something ? Should I get rid of the oil ? I don't really know what's going on inside my bottles =\ I think it's natural, as my Tamiya bottles are brand new, but still, I don't know what I should do with it.

Thank you for reading my clumsy text ! Ancre.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 13 Jul 2009 - 10:08

This is, as James Bond would say, a "stir; don't shake" situation. The oily stuff is what kills the natural shininess of acrylics...SO grab a toothpick or similar thingy & stir until the paint has a uniform consistency & it should work fine. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Ancre
Champion
Champion
Ancre

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 13 Jul 2009 - 13:45

Ok, thank you very much DeafNala ! Now I have to find a toothpick. On to the toothpick quest Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 13 Jul 2009 - 13:57

lol! TOOTHPICK QUEST!
In a pinch you could use the non-brush part of your paint brush. I usually save a bristleless brush just for stirring.
Back to top Go down
bigoriginal
Champion
Champion
bigoriginal

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 8 Aug 2009 - 2:58

I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried using painted lego castles for terrain? Obviously the tops of everything you made would need to be Spackled but otherwise it seems like it may work?

Alex

PS. I have been using modeling wax pretty successfully. If anyone wants to know techniques or where to get it let me know

Edit: Since no one answered warning against it I started building with legos Smile

link: https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/scenery-and-terrain-f4/lego-prison-tower-t2476.htm
Back to top Go down
pascal the rascal
Ancient
Ancient
pascal the rascal

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Sep 2009 - 13:58

hi,
i've got a colour question ; I can't seem to reproduce the kind of purple Games Workshop uses on some of their Slaanesh armour (highlighting on black). Their boxes say nauseating blue, but I can't find the right colour mix.
Does anyone know / can help me ?
thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
elChelli
Hero
Hero
elChelli

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 23 Oct 2009 - 13:31

a question

if you have painted your minis do you make some (dont know the word in english but try it, dont trust the dicitionaire) vanish/paint without color (auf deutsch, lackiert ihr die Figuren?) on the minis?

that there is a special protection...

lg thanks
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 23 Oct 2009 - 13:58

I think you mean a spray finish; our British Brethren refer to this as a varnish. Whatever the terminology a coat of finish is a MUST to protect your WONDERFUL paint job. The stuff I generally use, Krylon Matte, might not be available in Europe, but I believe Testor's Dull Coat is available everywhere & does a nice job.
Back to top Go down
eternaldream
Hero
Hero
eternaldream

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009 - 15:28

Yes, I use Testor's Dull Coat and it works wonderfully. The only bad thing is I can never find it in large cans. The ones I find at the local arts and craft stores are half sized cans. But a little bit goes a long way.
Back to top Go down
pascal the rascal
Ancient
Ancient
pascal the rascal

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 12 Nov 2009 - 13:06

pascal the rascal wrote:
hi,
i've got a colour question ; I can't seem to reproduce the kind of purple Games Workshop uses on some of their Slaanesh armour (highlighting on black). Their boxes say nauseating blue, but I can't find the right colour mix.
Does anyone know / can help me ?
thanks in advance

it's hard to believe there's nobody out there that can help me ?
Back to top Go down
vampirekhaine
Warlord
Warlord
vampirekhaine

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 21 Feb 2010 - 20:21

I think I this will be a great topic for my question as well.

I'm looking for a model to fit my Adventurers warband as a Noble. I'm trying to find a model that somewhat resembles a fencer. Light and thin rapier, more upright position, pref. sword down. I don't mind converting it a little. Price should not be too high.

Anyone got a suggestion for this?
Back to top Go down
Koyote
Knight
Knight
Koyote

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 21 Feb 2010 - 21:40

vampirekhaine wrote:
I'm looking for a model to fit my Adventurers warband as a Noble. I'm trying to find a model that somewhat resembles a fencer. Light and thin rapier, more upright position, pref. sword down. I don't mind converting it a little. Price should not be too high.

Anyone got a suggestion for this?
Marquand Volker. This model is still available from GW.

the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 2 M1251148_99061102035_MordUlliMarquandMain_445x319
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 21 Feb 2010 - 22:24

Marquand sure is a great model. I hadn't thought of that. Good one, Koyote!

Also, how about these:
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/2010/02/swashbuckling-nobles.html
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
vampirekhaine
Warlord
Warlord
vampirekhaine

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 21 Feb 2010 - 23:20

Ah spot on! Fantastic mini's. Marquand fits the idea that I have now the most. Might be changing once I find the other hero's.

Thnx cianty & Koyote
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the "Random Little Questions" thread
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next