Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Random rules questions for tentacle and flight spells

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Harganok
Hero
Hero
Harganok

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: none

Random rules questions for tentacle and flight spells Empty
PostSubject: Random rules questions for tentacle and flight spells   Random rules questions for tentacle and flight spells Icon_minitimeThu 15 Nov 2012 - 16:25

Just some random rules questions I have thought about, but not found an answer for... Not run into any of these situations yet, but there's potential!

1. Do flight/teleport spells like Wings of Darkness or Flight of Zimerman allow you to escape from combat without retaliation? If running away from combat, you take an autohit, but I haven't seen anything about using spells to get yourself out of a fight and taking hits.

2. The tentacle for possessed....it mentions that you grapple your opponent and they lose an attack. Fine, I got that. But does it work against multiple foes, reducing an attack from each? Also, can it reduce an attack on a model even if the model is not directing its attacks at the mutant (i.e. its attacking another friendly model in the same combat)?

Opinions?
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Random rules questions for tentacle and flight spells   Random rules questions for tentacle and flight spells Icon_minitimeThu 15 Nov 2012 - 17:21

1: I would say the hits still apply as the rules state any trying to escape and does not specify running or with magic (unless I'm forgetting something).

2: As I understand it the Tentacle it states Opponant and not Opponants so it would be just one guy that loses 1 attack... as to "who" I would say anyone in base contact is a viable target.
Back to top Go down
Harganok
Hero
Hero
Harganok

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Random rules questions for tentacle and flight spells   Random rules questions for tentacle and flight spells Icon_minitimeThu 15 Nov 2012 - 21:07

I think the biggest thing for #1 is that fleeing from combat is involuntary and caused by panic, while the use of magic is totally voluntary (the wizard is not turning tail, screaming his head off in fear to get away, hes just casting a spell in hth as is normally allowed).
Of course the rules say both that you cant leave a fight voluntarily but that you can cast spells in combat scratch

I agree with #2...it does only say Opponent (i.e.1) and that would be pretty powerful for 35g if it worked on everyone in btb.
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Random rules questions for tentacle and flight spells   Random rules questions for tentacle and flight spells Icon_minitimeThu 15 Nov 2012 - 21:59

p.117 of the rule book (optional rules) covers volantary running from combat.
maybe apply those rules to using magic as a means of escape.

Tentacle I see as a big waist of GC's any way. for 35 GC you get -1 attack to your own model (as it uses one of your arms) to remove 1 attack (but can not bring them to 0) from an enemy model.
Better to spend +5 GC to get an extra arm so you net +2 attacks over the tentacle and as it's a possessed it's stronger then any attack you take away.
if on a Mutant it has some more value but another arm or Scorpion Tail for +5 GC is a much better investment IMHO
Back to top Go down
Goglutin
Elder
Elder
Goglutin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Random rules questions for tentacle and flight spells   Random rules questions for tentacle and flight spells Icon_minitimeFri 16 Nov 2012 - 13:26

Pervavita...

I think tentacle can be useful anyway if you know how to use it. You have to use the mutant against behemoths like Rat-ogres, ogres, trolls... making them lose an attack may be more useful than getting an extra attack with a petty mutant. However, the mutant must be backed by a friend for this to be very helpful.
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Random rules questions for tentacle and flight spells   Random rules questions for tentacle and flight spells Icon_minitimeFri 16 Nov 2012 - 16:53

Those are far and few between situations.
Also think of the Scorpion Tail. You put that on a Mutant he now has +1 attack @ Strength 5. So he has his normal two attacks that will work as normal and then gets an attack that is larger then most models can take and is actually on par with what those large models can take.
Granted it has it's draw back against undead and the like but is still more universally usefull then a Tentacle.
Granted it does have it's use but it's not that great for it's price tag.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random rules questions for tentacle and flight spells   Random rules questions for tentacle and flight spells Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Random rules questions for tentacle and flight spells
Page 1 of 1