Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Request: Newbie guide to the "new" paint system

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
TheFool
Knight
Knight
TheFool

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

Request: Newbie guide to the "new" paint system Empty
PostSubject: Request: Newbie guide to the "new" paint system   Request: Newbie guide to the "new" paint system Icon_minitimeMon 7 Jun 2010 - 5:43

Hey Everyone,

It's time I buy the new paint system. (my original snakebite leather finally ran out)

I have never used the foundation system or this new fangled wash system and I beg of anyone to point me in the right direction as to how to use it!

I have 13 warbands with 6 unpainted (dwarf/undead/kislev/ork/rieklander/sisters) and so I will would appreciate links to all different styles (or advice!)
Back to top Go down
Mr.chair
Warlord
Warlord
Mr.chair

PostSubject: Re: Request: Newbie guide to the "new" paint system   Request: Newbie guide to the "new" paint system Icon_minitimeMon 7 Jun 2010 - 8:06

The foundation paints work the same as your regular GW paints. The difference is that they have more pigment so they cover better than a regular color. They're also a whole new set of colors to add to your existing paints.

The washes work just like the inks used to. They're a quick way to shade a model since they run it to the recessed areas of the miniature.
Back to top Go down
Vent
Champion
Champion
Vent

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Request: Newbie guide to the "new" paint system   Request: Newbie guide to the "new" paint system Icon_minitimeMon 7 Jun 2010 - 10:10

GW created the Foundation range for the double use of using it in their "airbrush" as well as a higher pigmented paint for better coverage. Personally I use the foundations as my base coat. They are really good for covering black undercoat. HOWEVER they should never be used without diluting them a touch, the thick pigment can really make a mess if you use it a) Straight from the pot b) Don't thin it down... Always put it on a palette and use a touch of water...

The washes are really nice. They don't stain like an ink, and multiple coats with different colors can let each shine through... I use a lot of them in my stuff...

If you have any other specific questions shout out Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rudeboy
Elder
Elder
Rudeboy

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Restless Dead (BTB) Restless Dead (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Request: Newbie guide to the "new" paint system   Request: Newbie guide to the "new" paint system Icon_minitimeMon 7 Jun 2010 - 17:13

The Foundations are like super thick paints they work well as a first coat after the primer, they also work really well at covering something-up. I use to have to put at least 2 coats of the regular paints to cover the primer, but with the Foundations you only need one.

The Washes work like Inks accept they don't run if they get wet like the Inks could. Basically you use Inks to get into cracks and give quick shading like others have said before me.
Back to top Go down
cornelius
Champion
Champion
cornelius

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Request: Newbie guide to the "new" paint system   Request: Newbie guide to the "new" paint system Icon_minitimeWed 9 Jun 2010 - 4:09

I always found that if I thinned the old inks and used it as a wash rather than a glaze ie. put enough on to run into the recesses, they had a tendency to dry with a 'negative' effect. the pigment would collect on the raised areas as the ink dried rather than staying in the deeper areas. Has anyone else had the same problem and do the new ones do the same? I was considering picking some up later this week in readiness for a week off work/ painting week.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Request: Newbie guide to the "new" paint system   Request: Newbie guide to the "new" paint system Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Request: Newbie guide to the "new" paint system
Page 1 of 1