Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

the "Random Little Questions" thread

Go down 
+40
Ork
Major Sharpe
qazbnm
Stronzo
Von Kurst
Nasse
Spectre76
namemein
Citizen Sade
Lucas Blackwolf
Horatio
5pointer
Grimscull
xlins
SerialMoM
Saranor
Ordo Septenarius
Svenn
Pfreck
Karskin
Captain Bernhardt
Mordoten
CygnusMaximus
Eisenblume
Mithras
kadafwer
Koyote
vampirekhaine
eternaldream
pascal the rascal
bigoriginal
elChelli
DeafNala
Ancre
Chad
Eliazar
Ram Rock Ed First
Admin Tom
cianty
jackanory
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
kadafwer
Youngblood
Youngblood
kadafwer

Trading Reputation : 0

the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 24 Feb 2010 - 15:17

Little Question: Is there anything i should think about before using washes? Never used a wash before, so.. any tips?
Back to top Go down
pascal the rascal
Ancient
Ancient
pascal the rascal

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 24 Feb 2010 - 19:55

yep, thin them down (with water or a mix of water and floorpolish, or water and a detergent) ; never use them straight out of the pot
you should also test the differences with a real wash and a wash of really thinned paint ; they give different results as far as my experience (with gw paints) goes
Back to top Go down
Mithras
Veteran
Veteran
Mithras

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 8 Mar 2010 - 22:41

Can anyone recommend a paint-on (preferably white) primer? I've had a couple of "spraying accidents" so I'd like to try a paint-on primer. Also coz I don't have a good place to spray indoors so I have to wait until the weather gets better to be able to primer!
Back to top Go down
Mithras
Veteran
Veteran
Mithras

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 12 Mar 2010 - 11:01

Mithras wrote:
Can anyone recommend a paint-on (preferably white) primer? I've had a couple of "spraying accidents" so I'd like to try a paint-on primer. Also coz I don't have a good place to spray indoors so I have to wait until the weather gets better to be able to primer!

I ordered a pot of http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=val_hob_gcl_pnt_101_000. If you are interested in how I like it you'll have ask in a week or 2 the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 3 Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
Eisenblume
Youngblood
Youngblood
Eisenblume

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr 2010 - 22:34

How would I go about making a hat like this feller struts about in? I have green stuff, but have very limited experiance with it, so something already sculpted that I could build on would be helpful.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f63/15/13/07/66/witch_13.jpg
Back to top Go down
CygnusMaximus
Warlord
Warlord
CygnusMaximus

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr 2010 - 22:49

First, let me say that I am far from being the world's best sculptor - but I have had a go at sculpting a few hats.

For making hats I've found it's easiest to make the brim and bowl separately.

Flatten some greenstuff out on a sheet of plastic or wax paper (anything that it won't stick to) and cut a circle out of it (a bit larger than the desired size of the brim as it will have to accommodate the height of the model's head). Let that set for a bit (until it retains its shape when you remove it but is still slightly malleable) then place it on the head of the model - pushing it down to the level you want the brim to rest. Let it cure completely.

Now you'll have a model with a circle stuck to its head. Take a blob of greenstuff and stick it to the middle of the "brim circle" and use a sculpting tool to shape the bowl.

If you're good enough a sculptor to add embellishments (hat band, buckle, etc.), have at it.

That's about it.

If you don't want to try doing the brim yourself, Bretonnian Man-at-Arms helmets have a nice wide brim that you could file the detail off of and sculpt a more hat-like bowl.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Mordoten
Warrior
Warrior
Mordoten

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 22 Apr 2010 - 22:24

Is there any Vallejo (or whatever the brand is called) colour that gives the same result as the GW "Devlan Mud"??

Great colour, sucky price!! (GW version that is)
Back to top Go down
Captain Bernhardt
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Captain Bernhardt

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010 - 17:53

Two little questions:

1) What's the best way to replicate rust?
2) What's the best way to paint rotting flesh/flesh that's been dead a long time??

thanks!
Back to top Go down
Karskin
Warrior
Warrior
Karskin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010 - 18:29

I like to speckle scab red and then carefully dry brush red gore onto boltgun metal for rust. For rotting flesh I recommend painting the rotting flesh over shadow grey leaving it in the sunken areas, and then dirtying it all up with graveyard earth. I have some zombies that look pretty good done like that.

Also Dark Omen was an awesome game. I never could beat the last level though, too much going on at once to handle when I was a kid, and isn't able to run on my computer anymore.
Back to top Go down
pascal the rascal
Ancient
Ancient
pascal the rascal

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 20 Jul 2010 - 22:18

a couple of very thin brown washes on drybrushed metal works fine for me for rust
and for zombies ; haven't quite found the right way to do it (i'll show you some when the opportunity rises)
Back to top Go down
Pfreck
Warlord
Warlord
Pfreck

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 20 Jul 2010 - 23:28

Captain Bernhardt wrote:
1) What's the best way to replicate rust?
The way I do rust;
- Basecoat the metal parts with Boltgun Metal, 2-3 even thin coats - no drybrushing.
- Wash the entire metal area with a very thinned down wash of Dark Flesh (about the consistency of milk).
- Repeat this about 2-3 times
- Wash the entire area with a very thinned down wash of Vermin Brown.
- When everything has dried; add scratches on the edges with a Detail Brush using Mithril Silver or Chainmail
- If you want to make the rust a bit darker you can add a wash of Badab Black before the 'scratching step'.

Captain Bernhardt wrote:
2) What's the best way to paint rotting flesh/flesh that's been dead a long time??
I'm going to paint up some Zombies myself as well, soon. I'm not sure how but when I'm done I'll be sure to share the recipe!

Hope this helps a bit. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://pfreck.tumblr.com
Captain Bernhardt
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Captain Bernhardt

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 6 Oct 2010 - 11:39

Does anyone know how Miliput compares to Green stuff? GW greenstuff is just to expansive and apart from ordering online the only way I can get good moddeling putty is by buying miliput. There seems to be multipile versions of this product (black, white, grey,green,....) I want to know which is best/worst and which has the most likeness to GS
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 6 Oct 2010 - 13:41

Green Stuff is capable of holding a higher level of detailing...or so I'm told...than Milliput.
The different colors denote different levels of capability; the super fine (silver) Milliput comes the closest to Green Stuff. The major difference, from my experience, is that Milliput is much easier to work with: i.e., it isn't as sticky. It dries much faster....about 2 hours...AND once dry, it can be drilled, sanded, turned, sawed, & tapped. Depending on the grade it's about 1/4 to 1/2 the price of Green Stuff. For bases I use Plumber's Epoxy Putty, which is similar to Milliput's Standard grade; it costs about 1/8 the price G.S.. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Svenn
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Svenn

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 6 Oct 2010 - 15:28

jackanory wrote:

*can a possessed ever have too many claws and tentacles?

Well this one is easy... no, they cannot. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.tabletopgeeks.com
Captain Bernhardt
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Captain Bernhardt

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 15 Oct 2010 - 10:44

does anyone know Vallejo's Plastic Putty and how it compares to green stuff or miliput?
Back to top Go down
Ordo Septenarius
Warlord
Warlord
Ordo Septenarius

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 15 Oct 2010 - 17:20

I finally went and bought some Devlan Mud. I will poke around for other threads where I know you have discussed application and usage (I know there are quite a few, and that it will take some time).

I have simply heard it mentioned so much that I am going against one of my principles - never buy any GW/Citadel paints. They're too viscous, too slick, their packaging is patently archaic, and they just don't spread well. All-in-all, cheap, generic, tubed stuff from the crafts store is much better.

Been using Reaper as that is what I have had best results with (and at some point am looking forward to using Vallejo), but hopefully this can turn my mind when it comes to GW/Citadel paints!

Also wanted to add:

1. Finishes/Coating: Since I am unable to find Testor's Dull-coat that often, I generally stick to hitting the subject with 2 coats of Krylon Gloss Coat and the Krylon Matte finish.

Back to top Go down
Saranor
Warlord
Warlord
Saranor

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Shadow Warriors (Unofficial) Shadow Warriors (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 1 Jan 2011 - 1:36

what kind of marker do you use for the traps of the bergjäger(Averländer)?

Because they should be swift to deploy i would refrain from pits. i thought about bear traps (perhaps made from these metal ork teeths).
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 1 Jan 2011 - 1:44

The Bear Trap sounds like an excellent idea; there's a Bear Trap included in the Ogre Iron Guts boxed set:

the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 3 95-0911
You can get it separated from a good "Bitz" shop like The War Store:
http://www.thewarstore.com/product31266.html
Back to top Go down
Captain Bernhardt
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Captain Bernhardt

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 2 Jan 2011 - 12:32

it's way cheaper here (US) or here (France)
Back to top Go down
SerialMoM
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
SerialMoM

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 18 Feb 2011 - 7:16

How do you paint wood?

I am not satisfied with my results now.

SerialMoM
Back to top Go down
xlins
Champion
Champion
xlins

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 7 Jul 2011 - 15:04

Hi, I have a sister without weapon and I wanted to make a hole across his hand, to put in there the sling (well the copper thread that will hold the green stuff later)

How can I make that hole without ruining the mini? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 7 Jul 2011 - 20:18

Back to top Go down
xlins
Champion
Champion
xlins

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 20 Jul 2011 - 21:15

Thanks Grumscull (damm I forgot to thank your post!)
Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 9 Sep 2011 - 21:05

Hopefully someone will spot this and help me out Wink

I'm currently painting an Imperial Dwarf for The Hireling Agency and he is armed with Gromril Armour and Axe. Is there a particular colour that Gromril should be? I've painted his armour in my usual style with my usual technique, but is it supposed to be duller than steel? Or have a X-coloured sheen? Or something else entirely?

Any views gratefully appreciated! The quicker I get a response, the quicker I get him finished and the quicker you have a picture or two inflicted on you in the gallery! (as if that's an incentive... Suspect )
Back to top Go down
Horatio
Knight
Knight
Horatio

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Bretonnians (Unofficial) Bretonnians (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 24 Nov 2011 - 5:21

I've always seen Gromril painted just like steel, honestly.

So, how do you go about rebasing all metal minis that come with a base attached?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the "Random Little Questions" thread   the "Random Little Questions" thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the "Random Little Questions" thread
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next