Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Jamatra's World in Progress

Go down 
+6
PJB
floedebolle
DeafNala
Tagnator
robh
Jamatra
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Jamatra
Youngblood
Youngblood
Jamatra

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

Jamatra's World in Progress Empty
PostSubject: Jamatra's World in Progress   Jamatra's World in Progress Icon_minitimeSat 20 Feb 2021 - 4:24

Hi all,
wanted to share the wip of my terrain here. Working on it on and off for some months now.

Jamatra's World in Progress Viaduc10
Jamatra's World in Progress Ruine110
Jamatra's World in Progress Ruine111
Jamatra's World in Progress Ruine112
Jamatra's World in Progress Ruine210
Jamatra's World in Progress Ruine211
Jamatra's World in Progress Ruine212
Jamatra's World in Progress Ruine310
Jamatra's World in Progress Ruine311

After building the ruined viaduct recently, i finally started to tackle some of my other unfinished terrain pieces.

Jamatra's World in Progress Ensemb10
Jamatra's World in Progress Ensemb11

With the terrain painted somewhat similar, i even continued working on the board itself, to give them a place to feel at home. Very Happy

Jamatra's World in Progress Tablew10
Jamatra's World in Progress Tablew11
Jamatra's World in Progress Tablew12

I also got a lot of inspiration from seeing PJB's wonderful diverse platforms. They add so much character and versatility to the table, that i cannot wait to (humbly) try out something along these lines too...

Well, that was quite a flood of pictures, and i guess i really need to work on my photography skills too...

Cheers,
Jamatra
Back to top Go down
robh
Knight
Knight
robh

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Jamatra's World in Progress   Jamatra's World in Progress Icon_minitimeSat 20 Feb 2021 - 13:19

Nice work on those. I like the inclusion of the twigs/roots, very effective.
Back to top Go down
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Trading Reputation : 6

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Jamatra's World in Progress   Jamatra's World in Progress Icon_minitimeSat 20 Feb 2021 - 20:28

That's an amazing WIP post, cool stuff Jamatra! Smile Really impressed with the ground texture on the ruins, looks really realistic! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Jamatra
Youngblood
Youngblood
Jamatra

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Jamatra's World in Progress   Jamatra's World in Progress Icon_minitimeSat 20 Feb 2021 - 23:03

Many thanks for the feedback, i'm glad you like it so far!

@robh: yes, i was surprised how well they looked as roots on the viaduct piece. I had some more of the same twigs lying around and decided to decorate the other pieces with them too. I think these little details add a lot to the eerie atmosphere of the scene... although they are really fiddly and a pain in the @$$ to fix them where i want them to be. XD Time will tell if they are sturdy enough to survive actual tabeltop gaming ...

@Tagnator: bedankt! Smile I'm still experimenting a lot with different materials. The most important tip for me was to use something with a way smaller grain than usual sand as basing material.

I used tile grout (a tip from "Geek Gaming" Luke, and luckily i had a big bag of it lying around in my basement Wink) and powdered plaster of paris, others use baking powder for example.
In this homebrewn Texture Paste i used "normal" sand too, and bigger  "decorative" sand or stones from the 1-Euro store (all mixed with raw umber acrylic paint and pva glue into a brown mess XD).
I guess it's about to find a good balance between different materials to make it look more random or "realistic".

Continued to paint the base colours on the board, after the ground texture had hardened over night...

Jamatra's World in Progress Tablew13
Jamatra's World in Progress Tablew14

Excited to make plans for the platforms next...
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Jamatra's World in Progress   Jamatra's World in Progress Icon_minitimeSun 21 Feb 2021 - 20:00

You have some WONDERFUL things in the works. Keep up the FINE WORK if so inclined!  thumbsup

Last edited by DeafNala on Sun 21 Feb 2021 - 20:03; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Jamatra's World in Progress   Jamatra's World in Progress Icon_minitimeSun 21 Feb 2021 - 20:01

Hello and welcome to the forum!
Nice start by showing those nice pieces of scenery cheers
Love the ruined wall section, lots of eerie character to it, well, seeing the fimir avatar it might be a bit of cursed marshland surrounding marienburg?

The idea of laying the stonetiles the same level as the mud/debris layer is a superb idea, , iam working on a piece of rotten garden, might take that up;) thumbsup

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
PJB
Veteran
Veteran
PJB

PostSubject: Re: Jamatra's World in Progress   Jamatra's World in Progress Icon_minitimeTue 23 Feb 2021 - 15:57

Hey, man!!! Welcome. Thats a fine start. Specially the base board is looking good. And the small nature elements are looking quite nice. Jeah, do platforms, they give a modular gaming table quite quickly!!! Every terrain set up will be different.
Back to top Go down
Jamatra
Youngblood
Youngblood
Jamatra

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Jamatra's World in Progress   Jamatra's World in Progress Icon_minitimeTue 23 Feb 2021 - 23:52

Thanks "und vielen lieben Dank auch" for the welcome and feedback. I appreciate it a lot!

@floedebolle: my impatience to take photos before the board was fully dried, seemed to give it more of a marshy, muddy look than i intended originally Smile I gotta admit i'm not too much into Fimir lore (yet!), but the idea of a remote Fimir settlement in a cursed marshland area is definitely going into my notebook... Wink

I planned to make the table surface somewhat flat, despite its different ground types, to keep the modularity with the terrain pieces on it as high as possible. I wanted the functionality of a battle mat but also a bit of the haptic experience of an actual "sculpted" landscape, if that makes any sense.

A rotten garden sounds like a really cool idea, curious to see what you might do with it.

@PJB: Indeed, i'm fascinated by the idea of adding another dimension of modularity to the table in such a (relatively) simple way!

Instead of going directly for the platforms, i dusted off some older pieces i hadn't painted yet (fully):

This is a little plateau i made. Not sure how useful it will be on the table as terrain. At least the flat surface allows for placing some other stuff on top...

Jamatra's World in Progress Platea10

It was a kind of an experiment, using the texture of snapped xps sheets (4cm) as a cliff face...what do you think about it?

Jamatra's World in Progress Platea11

This was the first approach of a "classic" mortheim-style ruined house front, i was quite pleased with. (There are others, not so succesful pieces, slumbering in my basement) I think it still lacks some vertical or diagonal wooden beams on the upper "fachwerk" levels...

Jamatra's World in Progress House_10
Jamatra's World in Progress House110
Jamatra's World in Progress House111

Well, i hope it's not considered as spamming the thread, but i also wanted to share this most elaborate building i made so far (pls ignore the hovering inner columns... they'll be fixed eventually! XD)
I planned it as a ground-level for a towerlike structure but abandoned it in the meantime. Since i found a recipe for painting my stonewalls, i thought it is time to finally colour this piece and add it to the table

Jamatra's World in Progress Arkade10
Jamatra's World in Progress Arkade11
Jamatra's World in Progress Arkade12
Jamatra's World in Progress Arkade13

Cheers,
Jamatra
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Jamatra's World in Progress   Jamatra's World in Progress Icon_minitimeWed 24 Feb 2021 - 0:40

GOOD LOOKING STUFF! You have a nice start on an OUTSTANDING gaming board. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Jamatra's World in Progress   Jamatra's World in Progress Icon_minitimeWed 24 Feb 2021 - 21:20

Some really impresive progress Jamatra! Keep it up, it's coming along very nicely Smile
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Jamatra's World in Progress   Jamatra's World in Progress Icon_minitimeThu 25 Feb 2021 - 21:31

Oh wow, those arcades/tomb buildings are awesome! Looking forward to the paintjob.
I also found out that the platforms made by PJB that inspired me to do mine, really push the whole game to another LEVEL Razz , no really, it gives so much more great moments to divecharge and more, pick a model you like to shoot, you all know what else, its great! so, some more of those nice looking plateau would be a great plus for this gaming table, my humble opinion;)

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
Jamatra
Youngblood
Youngblood
Jamatra

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Jamatra's World in Progress   Jamatra's World in Progress Icon_minitimeMon 1 Mar 2021 - 23:43

So i felt the need to get these platforms planned out before thinking about other elements of the table. I descended into the dungeon basement and found some scrap xps sheets i hauled from a construction site some time ago. It is Ursa XPS, somehow rougher and more porous than the finer blue DOW XPS i normally use for modelling: perfect for the rough shape of the platform. Not so good for carving the stonework directly into the sides. So i'll have to clad (face?) the platforms with bricks and tiles made of the blue xps later on i think.

Jamatra's World in Progress Plattf10

My gut feeling to split the two rectangular pieces in the same angle seems to be a lucky shot.
I opted for turning one of the pieces around, to have them mirrored

Jamatra's World in Progress Plattf11

Whether it is larger platforms or "urban canyons" ...

Jamatra's World in Progress Plattf12
Jamatra's World in Progress Plattf13
Jamatra's World in Progress Plattf15
Jamatra's World in Progress Plattf14
Jamatra's World in Progress Plattf16

...there are endless possibilities and interesting setups...

Jamatra's World in Progress Plattf18
Jamatra's World in Progress Plattf17
Jamatra's World in Progress Plattf19

On top of the platforms i'm going for the tile pattern i have on the board too. It's called "Römischer Verbund" in german

Jamatra's World in Progress Rzmisc11

Started to cut the different sized tiles...

Jamatra's World in Progress Tiles10

Down in the basement i also rediscovered two more unfinished buildings of mine, a smaller corner ruin and a sturdy watchtower, screaming to be freed from their sorry existence in the darkness of that damp cellar...

Jamatra's World in Progress Tower_10

More on that in the next post... Smile
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Jamatra's World in Progress   Jamatra's World in Progress Icon_minitimeTue 2 Mar 2021 - 0:20

You have the beginnings of an OUTSTANDING gaming table...a very well thought out one as well. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
PJB
Veteran
Veteran
PJB

PostSubject: Re: Jamatra's World in Progress   Jamatra's World in Progress Icon_minitimeTue 2 Mar 2021 - 5:03

Hurrahurra, die Plattformen Massenproduktion ist da!

Glad to see ur table growing in size Very Happy dont forget to make urself a good amount of stairs, if platforms are over 1“ high. I remember the climbing rules in mordheim quite fruststrating if u play mercenaries, haha

Back to top Go down
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Jamatra's World in Progress   Jamatra's World in Progress Icon_minitimeThu 4 Mar 2021 - 15:15

Really cool progress! The board and terrain are coming along very nicely, looking forward to seeing it all finished for sure! Smile
Back to top Go down
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Jamatra's World in Progress   Jamatra's World in Progress Icon_minitimeSat 6 Mar 2021 - 21:25

Impressive work
Back to top Go down
Jamatra
Youngblood
Youngblood
Jamatra

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Jamatra's World in Progress   Jamatra's World in Progress Icon_minitimeTue 9 Mar 2021 - 2:41

Thanks a ton, i'm glad you are enjoying the wip
PJB wrote:
Hurrahurra, die Plattformen Massenproduktion ist da!

Glad to see ur table growing in size Very Happy dont forget to make urself a good amount of stairs, if platforms are over 1“ high. I remember the climbing rules in mordheim quite fruststrating if u play mercenaries, haha

@PJB: Hehe, yes stairs are going to be seperate from the platforms to have them modular, and there'll be plenty... Not looking forward to too many initiative rolls either XD

I continued working on the unfinished tower i brought up from the basement. It has been there for the last three years now but i thougt it was a nice foundation to work upon.

Originally i clad the lower floor in sheets of insulation foam i used for the other houses too.

Jamatra's World in Progress Tower110

The stuff was too soft though, not holding a lot of the texture detail i was aiming for.
So i decided to build the walls again from scratch with nicely textured singular stones made of proper xps foam...

...but first i finished the timber framework  and windows...not going overboard with the pattern here Wink

Jamatra's World in Progress Tower210
Jamatra's World in Progress Tower310

Laying down the stones and going for some buttresses to give the ground level a sturdy appearence...    

Jamatra's World in Progress Tower410
Jamatra's World in Progress Tower510
Jamatra's World in Progress Tower610

Next, i went for the door, trying out some styrene hinges and door knobs for the first time...quite fiddly but totally worth it in the end.

Jamatra's World in Progress Tower710
Jamatra's World in Progress Tower810
Jamatra's World in Progress Tower910
Jamatra's World in Progress Tower112
Jamatra's World in Progress Tower111
Jamatra's World in Progress Tower113

The planks are made from balsa wood. I worked with it for the first time and i can see now why people gladly pay the extra money for it. Smile When i started the tower 3 years ago i did so pretty much on a budget, hobby-material wise. The wood used was from a fruit box and i had to carve every beam. Balsa indeed works like a charm in comparison...

Then i used filler to finish the wall on the upper levels...

Jamatra's World in Progress Tower114

Well, once again a quite picture heavy post... hope you enjoy it nonetheless.
I love to hear your suggestions, comments and critique on the build, it keeps me really motivated (the shingles aren't made yet... Very Happy )

Cheers,
Jamatra
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Jamatra's World in Progress   Jamatra's World in Progress Icon_minitimeTue 9 Mar 2021 - 13:11

That certainly is going to be a BEAUTY. AND a very sturdy one at that. OUTSTANDING WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Jamatra's World in Progress   Jamatra's World in Progress Icon_minitimeTue 9 Mar 2021 - 15:39

Nothing but compliments for your amazing progress! It's starting to look beautifull Smile Really inspiring work!
Back to top Go down
robh
Knight
Knight
robh

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Jamatra's World in Progress   Jamatra's World in Progress Icon_minitimeSat 13 Mar 2021 - 20:05

Great looking construction.
Back to top Go down
mariner2011
Captain
Captain
mariner2011

PostSubject: Re: Jamatra's World in Progress   Jamatra's World in Progress Icon_minitimeThu 8 Apr 2021 - 17:25

I really love this! I think I see a crane to lower crates from that upper window in the future... Cool
Back to top Go down
https://tooly501.tumblr.com/
Tha Tall One
Captain
Captain
Tha Tall One

PostSubject: Re: Jamatra's World in Progress   Jamatra's World in Progress Icon_minitimeWed 5 May 2021 - 8:32

Really nice work! Very inspiring!
Back to top Go down
Ellegaard
Champion
Champion
Ellegaard

PostSubject: Re: Jamatra's World in Progress   Jamatra's World in Progress Icon_minitimeSun 16 May 2021 - 20:48

I love it! The details are fantastic - those are the kind of things I'd love to do myself, but where my impatience kicks in. The craftsmanship here is really impressive; it's just perfect. Congratulations!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jamatra's World in Progress   Jamatra's World in Progress Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jamatra's World in Progress
Page 1 of 1