Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Possessed and Mutations

Go down 
+3
Von Kurst
werekin
Svenn
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Svenn
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Svenn

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: none

Possessed and Mutations Empty
PostSubject: Possessed and Mutations   Possessed and Mutations Icon_minitimeWed 10 Jun 2009 - 21:03

So, I've noticed that it's REALLY tough to get a good possessed warband started. Either you take weakend heroes from the start to have a large warband (which is almost a necessity) or you take one strong hero and risk losing them early on and essentially having to start over (which happens to me often). How do you get around this? I imagine that once you get going and earn some money things would be fine, but it seems that I always end up losing more money than I make or just barely getting a few gc here and there becuase I can't afford enough heroes to search early on without gimping them (while the skaven search with 6 heroes after the first game and rack up tons of cash). Suggestions?

Also, does anyone feel that the rule for mutations that mutations after the first one cost double is a little bit much? I mean, A possessed with 2 mutations can cost 250gc pretty easy. Mutants cost 150+. This puts the Possessed army costs WAY higher than any other warband, and makes it really hard to get all 5 heroes.

Am I doing something wrong? Suggestions?
Back to top Go down
http://www.tabletopgeeks.com
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Norse (Unofficial) Norse (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Possessed and Mutations   Possessed and Mutations Icon_minitimeWed 10 Jun 2009 - 22:35

There are some really useful rules published in connection with mutations and how they affect campaign play. It's still fair to say that there are too many limitations placed on Chaos.

The subject interested me enough to revisit the Border Town Burning setting with respect to mutations and the results of my study will be published on the Border Town Burning web site in the coming months...

Anyone who is interested in campaigning with the the Cult of the Possessed Mordheim warband will enjoy this. In addition to Chaos Cults, fans of Chaos themed warbands from any of the other Mordheim settings will want to read this.

Regards,

Werekin.

B-)
Back to top Go down
https://libermalefic.blogspot.com/
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Possessed and Mutations   Possessed and Mutations Icon_minitimeWed 10 Jun 2009 - 22:46

When I run Possessed I feel your pain.

When I fight against the foul mutant scum, I rejoice in the balance of the Great Plan. I savor their downfall, defeat and despair.
Back to top Go down
Nastyogre
Veteran
Veteran
Nastyogre

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers

PostSubject: Re: Possessed and Mutations   Possessed and Mutations Icon_minitimeThu 18 Jun 2009 - 10:12

I dunno. After seeing what a developed Possessed Warband can do I have no problem with the double cost on extra mutations.Sure it doesn't produce superhuman Possessed but if it was that easy they'd be terribly unbalanced. After playing them and against them alot they can do some things that nobody else can.

Possessed: M5 T4 S4 W2 A2 I4 cause fear.
That's without a single mutation. They have the capacity to drop at least two enemy models during the course of a game without too much trouble. Give them 3 arms, or a scorpion tail and they will have 3 attacks. Obscene. Their stats can only be surpassed by a vampire. Chaos gets 2 of these guys... You think they should be alot cheaper? A little yes... I think the doubling of mutations is a good idea.

Mutants: Stink or do they. They have average human stats then you gotta give them a mutation. So they are pricey, but they get abilities nobody else can have. (save other mutants and possessed)
Are the cost of mutations in general too high? Yes, especially things like blackblood and cloven hooves. Claw probably is too. Oh and Demon soul (who takes that?) To take more than one of these creates a monster of incredible power. So doubling the cost seems perfectly reasonable.

I think they intended to "tax" the warband for these abilities. As possessed gain expereince they Are unholy nightmares, even with one mutation only. The max stats for them don't limit them the way humans and other "normal" races are. Don't forget one of the strengths of Chaos. Henchmen with 2 wounds. Few other warbands can do this. Undead with Ghouls. I think that's it. Oh sure you have the occasional big guy, but not your average henchman. Sure they can only have 3 beastmen, but they are magnificent.

Do the Cult of the possessed develop slowly as a warband? Yes. Is there a good reason for this? Yes, because few if any warband can match them in HtH once they are developed. My suggestion is start with 2 possesed with 1 mutation and 1 mutant. It stinks to start with 4 heroes but you need some henchman for safety.

I like 1 possessed with 3 arms, 1 with Scorpion tail and a mutant with cloven hooves (to keep up with the Posessed) 2 beastmen henchmen. Everybody uses their free dagger and a mace to start.
You have a small warband yes. But you have 10 wounds on those 6 models. 2 of those models cause fear. Make sure you use cover and approach your enemy hiding as much as possible. Get close and pounce on your opponent.If you get the charge, few warbands won't lose 2-3 models in the next couple of rounds. Unless your opponent have clumped his entire warband together (or they are really huge) they aren't likely to outnumber you by more then 50%. Without those kind of numbers, your wounds will prevail.

After a couple of games, you will have the GC for that new mutant after that your 3rd beastman. I do suggest trying to not expand your warband until you get a Beastman to lad. They are incredible as heroes.
Back to top Go down
Dogfisc

Dogfisc

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Possessed and Mutations   Possessed and Mutations Icon_minitimeMon 29 Jun 2009 - 5:45

You might consider allowing Mutants and Possessed to take the Mutation skill like the Beastmen can. That way you can get a mutation later rather than having to pay for them all up front. You can also use Rewards of the Shadowlord, but of course that's a gamble.
Back to top Go down
ts061282
General
General
ts061282

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Possessed and Mutations   Possessed and Mutations Icon_minitimeTue 30 Jun 2009 - 4:06

If you want chaos, just play Carnival of Chaos and call it a day. They're more flavorful and the strongman heroes are totally OP for the cost; they cost half as much as a mutated possessed and are on par in terms of power.
Back to top Go down
Dulu
Captain
Captain
Dulu

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar

PostSubject: Re: Possessed and Mutations   Possessed and Mutations Icon_minitimeSun 5 Jul 2009 - 7:42

I think it would be rather silly to buy 2 mutations for a 'Possessed' at the start of a campaign.

Use them with their base stats, and for 90gc - thats an amazing buy.

As for the 'Mutants'... They have completely average human stats (Same as mercenaries and sisters), and are the exact same cost.

My suggestion: Buy them some basic equipment starting out, like a pair of weapons or a bow. And buy them a cheap mutation like Daemon Soul or Blackblood. Once they get some experience, then invest in expensive mutations and armor.

The key is never investing too much expensive stuff into one model early on.
Back to top Go down
ts061282
General
General
ts061282

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Possessed and Mutations   Possessed and Mutations Icon_minitimeSun 5 Jul 2009 - 8:41

Dulu wrote:

Wise words Dulu, however take a closer look at the rules for Mutations: "Mutations may be bought for a Mutant or a Possessed warrior only when they are recruited; you may not buy new mutations for a model after recruitment." You MUST invest expense in mutations early on or else forgo mutations or else forgo hero's, and therefor exploration dice, and therefor income.

Generally, I go for two possessed with scorpion tale/great claw and a mutant with an extra arm. This leaves room for 2-3 henchman and you want your beastman starting ASAP for That Lads Got Talent opportunities. The possessed tend to cleave through anything they touch the first few games, so it's really not that bad a situation.
Back to top Go down
Dulu
Captain
Captain
Dulu

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar

PostSubject: Re: Possessed and Mutations   Possessed and Mutations Icon_minitimeSun 5 Jul 2009 - 9:12

ts061282 wrote:
Dulu wrote:

Wise words Dulu, however take a closer look at the rules for Mutations: "Mutations may be bought for a Mutant or a Possessed warrior only when they are recruited; you may not buy new mutations for a model after recruitment." You MUST invest expense in mutations early on or else forgo mutations or else forgo hero's, and therefor exploration dice, and therefor income.

Generally, I go for two possessed with scorpion tale/great claw and a mutant with an extra arm. This leaves room for 2-3 henchman and you want your beastman starting ASAP for That Lads Got Talent opportunities. The possessed tend to cleave through anything they touch the first few games, so it's really not that bad a situation.

Hmm, never knew that!

I always figured it worked just like any other peice of equipment. (I have never played as Posessed, only against them)

In this case, I would slap a Great Claw on Posessed. (Only 10gc more than the extra arm, and its attack is S5 to start)

and possibly hold off before buying your 2nd Posessed, this will allow you to save that (Roughly) 140 gc to pick up your Henchmen and start getting them some experience.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possessed and Mutations   Possessed and Mutations Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Possessed and Mutations
Page 1 of 1