Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Warbands In Mordheim

Go down 
+4
Grimscull
DeafNala
Von Kurst
2704ENG
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warbands In Mordheim   Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 30 Dec 2017 - 13:52

WELCOME BACK! The Squigs are SPLENDID looking Little Whatevers & the Orcs are coming along WONDERFULLY. OUTSTANDING WORK! thumbsup
Don't look at the clock if you are having fun. The longer it takes the more entertainment value you get for the cost of the miniature. Folks admire nice paint jobs, not time records. clown
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Warbands In Mordheim   Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 30 Dec 2017 - 18:28

Welcome back! The squigs are up to your usual standard. Interested to see where the Shaman ends up.
Back to top Go down
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

Trading Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Warbands In Mordheim   Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 31 Dec 2017 - 18:44

Grand work on the squigs, & those heroes are coming on nicely -- judging by the finished products, they're going to look good!

I'm with DN on time -- take the time you need, no more & no less. If you watch the clock it's only likely to make you bungle those delicate final stages. If you want to get your speed up for painting a warband, painting henchmen as groups is often faster than doing each individually, &, if you can, avoid using more time-consuming techniques on henchmen. Washes & drybrushes get a group painted much quicker than careful highlighting. But heroes -- including the shaman -- deserve your proper time.
Back to top Go down
2704ENG
Captain
Captain
2704ENG

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Warbands In Mordheim   Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 28 Jan 2018 - 11:43

Good advice all round... I've dropped somewhat my obsession on counting the clock. Switched my focus to finishing up a particular area during a paint session e.g. getting the staff done during a sitting.  

Here are some more updates on the Sharman:

Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Sharma11

Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Sharma12

Some observations - extreme highlighting / edging seems to work well. If it ends up being too much a few thinned layers helps masks the problem and smooth out the issue. I found that it does speed up the blending process i.e. go hard then taper back. Works well especially in smaller areas like the wrappings around the hand do don't be afraid to go all the way to white in terms of highlighting.

So far pretty happy with the result. Will start working up the skin tones next and then detailing.

Hopefully will have in all wrapped up in the next few weeks.
Back to top Go down
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

PostSubject: Re: Warbands In Mordheim   Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 28 Jan 2018 - 12:41

Grand work! The edge highlights look great, especially on the worn fabric you'd expect to find on an orc. That's work you can be proud of.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Warbands In Mordheim   Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 28 Jan 2018 - 14:08

SPLENDID! The Big Green Guy is coming along WONDERFULLY. OUTSTANDING WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Warbands In Mordheim   Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 28 Jan 2018 - 19:38

Very nice. thumbsup thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Codsticker
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Codsticker

PostSubject: Re: Warbands In Mordheim   Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 29 Jan 2018 - 5:23

Very nice work. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
2704ENG
Captain
Captain
2704ENG

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Warbands In Mordheim   Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 27 Feb 2018 - 9:51

Another grunt ready to base!

Took a few shortcuts in really only focusing on certain areas to detail - mostly the face and skin.

Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Orc_110

Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Orc_210

Also tried to zenithal lighting approach which i found does help you mask out the areas you don't want to / can't be bothered painting.

That makes 12 orcs in total... still 8 more to go to max out the warband... I am never playing another horde warband again!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Warbands In Mordheim   Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 27 Feb 2018 - 13:04

LOOKIN' GOOD! The Green Guy is coming along SPLENDIDLY. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Saluksic
Veteran
Veteran
Saluksic

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Warbands In Mordheim   Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 27 Feb 2018 - 17:29

I like the way the green blends. Cool red coloring on the clothes, too.
Back to top Go down
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

PostSubject: Re: Warbands In Mordheim   Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 1 Mar 2018 - 17:54

Those shortcuts don't seem to have done too much harm -- the green guy looks good to me.

Focussing on the face & skin is a good move. The face is likely to be a focal point on any model, as well as the most expressive part, so it's worth your efforts. & skin generally is likely to be paler & stand out, so it's worth doing well -- plus, hands are usually quite easy to do, because they're heavily sculpted. So I fairly often find that a drybrush or wash & drybrush will be good enough for fabric, as long as the skin's well done.

& that greenskin's definitely well enough done for a grunt! Honestly, I think he's had more attention than some of my goblin heroes...
Back to top Go down
Jburns272
Champion
Champion
Jburns272

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Warbands In Mordheim   Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 2 Mar 2018 - 18:18

Love your painting, especially the shaman. He looks freaking awesome.

Your latest grunt looks great too.
Back to top Go down
2704ENG
Captain
Captain
2704ENG

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Warbands In Mordheim   Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 25 Apr 2018 - 3:11

Some more updates - finally managed to base and varnish the two previous WIP orcs:

Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Shaman16     Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Shaman17

Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Grunt_16     Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Grunt_17

Managed to polish off another grunt and I think I'm pretty much over painting orcs in the short term...

Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Grunt_18     Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Grunt_19    

So for something completely different have began work on a Sisters of Sigmar warband using Reaper miniatures.

Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Sos1v210     Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Sos1v110

Think the Orcs will be put on hold for while some work are done to the Sisters. Have also just assembled a Bretonnain warband which will need to undercoat while a box of Night Runners have just arrived... great more unpainted minis to add to my collection.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Warbands In Mordheim   Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 25 Apr 2018 - 4:11

The Boys in Green & the Holy Babe look TERRIFIC. Having a few things going at once keeps everything fresh & interesting. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

PostSubject: Re: Warbands In Mordheim   Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 25 Apr 2018 - 11:15

Great work on the greenskins! I can understand wanting to take a break from them though, painting a whole warband like that can get draining after a while. Having different projects (especially with different colours, styles, &/or techniques in use) can really help to break up the fatigue.

On which note, nice start on the Sisters! Surprising choice of colours to my mind, but it works. Is that bone on her arm? Because if she's weaponised a reliquary, that's pretty cool & very characterful.
Back to top Go down
2704ENG
Captain
Captain
2704ENG

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Warbands In Mordheim   Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 25 Apr 2018 - 13:16

Rhydderch wrote:
On which note, nice start on the Sisters! Surprising choice of colours to my mind, but it works. Is that bone on her arm? Because if she's weaponised a reliquary, that's pretty cool & very characterful.

I think it's more like a gauntlet but you can definitely make a case for it being a weaponised reliquary!

Yeah the colours were mostly inspired by the standard scheme of the Menoth faction from Privateer Press' game Warmachines. In their setting Menoth is somewhere along the lines of a fanatically fervent militarised religious protectorate. I've always thought their purple robes and cream armour plates made for a striking combination hence their adoption for the Sisters. The overall idea would be the heroes would have more cream coloured plate armour versus the purple robes of the standard sisters.

Will try and update on a more regular bases in the near future. Always good to get feedback on what areas can be further improved upon.

Back to top Go down
Codsticker
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Codsticker

PostSubject: Re: Warbands In Mordheim   Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 25 Apr 2018 - 16:53

I love the way you painted the shaman- great work!
Back to top Go down
2704ENG
Captain
Captain
2704ENG

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Warbands In Mordheim   Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 29 Apr 2018 - 3:16

Some WIP of my fledgling Sisters of Sigmar warband:

Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Sos2v110     Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Sos2v210

Will probably end up using her as one of my heroes. It's another miniature from the Reaper range.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Warbands In Mordheim   Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 29 Apr 2018 - 13:33

The Holy Babe is coming along SPLENDIDLY. GREAT WORK!  thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

PostSubject: Re: Warbands In Mordheim   Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 30 Apr 2018 - 18:49

Very, very nice. & cloaks like that are a joy to paint, right?
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Warbands In Mordheim   Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 30 Apr 2018 - 19:04

Great work on both warbands thumbsup thumbsup

I like the orcs best, but I've always wanted to see someone use Reaper for a Sisters warband too.
Back to top Go down
2704ENG
Captain
Captain
2704ENG

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Warbands In Mordheim   Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 1 May 2018 - 15:17

Von Kurst wrote:
Great work on both warbands thumbsup thumbsup

I like the orcs best, but I've always wanted to see someone use Reaper for a Sisters warband too.

Yeah will be getting back to the Orcs in the near future... still have a Troll to paint up along with the Fanatic to fully cover all potential henchmen choices. A bit unmotivated atm because if you don't start with the Troll you never end up getting it because it's so damn expensive and you're always replacing losses / upgrading equipment. As with the Fanatic I just think he is terrible value especially given that our tables are usually pack with terrain so 90% of the time he'll just crash into a wall and be OOA.

The one thing to note with Reaper minis is that some of them comes with their own little metal base which is around 2.5mm. This will make make the miniatures just that little bit higher to their GW counterparts. In terms of scale I think they're slightly bigger as well:

Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Scale_10

The GW miniature is a Bretonnian Men at Arms which I'm planning to use for a future Grail Chapel Warband and you can clearly see the female paladin is about a head taller - mostly due to her existing base. Not a deal breaker but might be an issue if you're a scale purist so please be aware that certain minis in the Reaper range have this additional caveat.

Despite the height difference still think it's an improvement over the original GW Sisters.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Warbands In Mordheim   Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 1 May 2018 - 15:54

If you remove her integral base, she will be about the same height. The bases are easy enough to remove, especially if you have a Dremel. AND, if you scenic the bases before mounting the miniatures, you can vary the heights to suit the minis. I do all that stufff on all my miniatures, so I am not giving you idle advice. clown
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Warbands In Mordheim   Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 1 May 2018 - 18:30

I also have a few bases that are much thinner, so I base Reaper on those.  

GW minis and Reaper seem to have the same guy who doesn't pay attention to scale running things, so both lines are all over the place.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Warbands In Mordheim   Warbands In Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Warbands In Mordheim
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next