Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Von Carstein Vampire

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ashjwest
Youngblood
Youngblood
Ashjwest

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

Von Carstein Vampire  Empty
PostSubject: Von Carstein Vampire    Von Carstein Vampire  Icon_minitimeSun 23 Mar 2014 - 14:19

Hey guys.

I finished up this guy a little while ago and thought you might like to have a look. I've also got a few questions on the subject. Anyway here he is;

Von Carstein Vampire  Vamp_front

Von Carstein Vampire  Vamp_rear

This is one of the first models I've painted since getting back into the hobby after a 10/11 year hiatus. He is much better than what an impatient 15 year old version of myself could paint. However when I go to paint things now I seem to be limited to progressive drybrushing, while other techniques seem to fail. I've tried block highlighting but it just looks clunky... Any tips?

Last edited by Ashjwest on Sun 23 Mar 2014 - 15:16; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Von Carstein Vampire    Von Carstein Vampire  Icon_minitimeSun 23 Mar 2014 - 14:48

The dry brushing gives the mini an ethereal look that fits the subject SPLENDIDLY. Highlighting while the darker coat is still wet is a basic way to blend your colors & give a smooth transition of shades; the negative part of this is that it quite often doesn't show up well in photos...Cameras are Demonic Entities. 
That aside, the Vampire looks WONDERFUL. Your color choices are EXCELLENT; the armor & cape have a haunted feel to them, & the sword has a ghostly glow that is very appealing. VERY WELL DONE!   thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Von Carstein Vampire    Von Carstein Vampire  Icon_minitimeSun 23 Mar 2014 - 15:02

I definitely like what you have done with the miniature.  thumbsup thumbsup 
Back to top Go down
Ashjwest
Youngblood
Youngblood
Ashjwest

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Von Carstein Vampire    Von Carstein Vampire  Icon_minitimeSun 23 Mar 2014 - 15:20

Thanks very much, I'll have to try highlighting while the darker coat is still wet. Any tips on how to get started with freehand work? I wanted to try painting some runes/inscriptions across the necromancers cloak.
Back to top Go down
Powerposey
Captain
Captain
Powerposey

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pit Fighters (Unofficial) Pit Fighters (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Von Carstein Vampire    Von Carstein Vampire  Icon_minitimeSun 23 Mar 2014 - 15:30

I know when i started freehand I googled "how to draw *blank*" and you can usually find an easy template to follow. I am not very good at freehand so I find simple techniques work best for me.

Now for runes, paint the darker color, then just highlight the side or top edges. You can look at some fonts from MS Word to get a better idea.
Back to top Go down
http://powerposey.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Von Carstein Vampire    Von Carstein Vampire  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Von Carstein Vampire
Page 1 of 1