Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Modular MDF gaming board

Go down 
+8
Pikey
Kev
izmerul
DeafNala
The Ultra-Mega Bob
Von Kurst
JoaoS
voodoodood
12 posters
AuthorMessage
voodoodood
Youngblood
Youngblood
voodoodood

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

Modular MDF gaming board Empty
PostSubject: Modular MDF gaming board   Modular MDF gaming board Icon_minitimeWed 20 Nov 2013 - 21:22

Very new to this lovely forum and very impressed by how much cool stuff there is , ive just starting my own project and thought id start a blog about it, so here goes , hope you like
http://voodoodood.blogspot.co.uk/
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Modular MDF gaming board   Modular MDF gaming board Icon_minitimeThu 21 Nov 2013 - 0:32

Welcome to the forum! Wow, that's some very good work on MDF and promising layout!

Looking forward to some more!

Joao
Back to top Go down
http://fistful-minis.blogspot.co.uk/
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Modular MDF gaming board   Modular MDF gaming board Icon_minitimeThu 21 Nov 2013 - 0:36

Hey new guy! Nice blog posts. You have plans of your project! That will make the Ultra-Mega Bob happy, although he may miss your post here in the painting and modeling section. (Gaming boards generally count as scenery.)

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to more of your project even if you are one of those MDF users. affraid 
Back to top Go down
The Ultra-Mega Bob
Veteran
Veteran
The Ultra-Mega Bob

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Modular MDF gaming board   Modular MDF gaming board Icon_minitimeThu 21 Nov 2013 - 14:01

This looks like a very interesting project, I'll make sure to follow it and keep up to date on your new posts Smile

Von Kurst wrote:
You have plans of your project! That will make the Ultra-Mega Bob happy, although he may miss your post here in the painting and modeling section.  (Gaming boards generally count as scenery.)

Not to worry, I managed to find it ok lol! It's interesting to see it all sketched out, though I'm jealous of your ability to sketch such characterful plans- 'm probably only capable of the same level of detail/ imagination as your paper mock-ups...

As an aside, do you plan on the board being modular in the sense that you can take it apart and store it easily, or that you can mix and match where the sections go, to change the terrain when needed? If you intend on the second one, I'm curious how you plan on making the bridges between sections work; I think they would look fantastic when finished, but if you move pieces around frequently, they might not have a proper point to connect to... assuming you make the bridges a set length/ angle scratch 
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Modular MDF gaming board   Modular MDF gaming board Icon_minitimeThu 21 Nov 2013 - 14:16

That does look TERRIFIC. You & your Dremel have done some OUTSTANDING work with the stonework...it's just as mind numbingly boring doing it with pencil on insulation foam. Keep up the FINE WORK!  thumbsup 

I have moved this thread from the Painting & Modeling section, AND deleted the duplicate thread...thus restoring balance to The Universe.  What a Face
Back to top Go down
voodoodood
Youngblood
Youngblood
voodoodood

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Modular MDF gaming board   Modular MDF gaming board Icon_minitimeThu 21 Nov 2013 - 14:19

Each 2x2 board will be able to be placed any way round creating either 4" or 8" paths/ roads, so my bridge sections will be in 4" lengths, I'll make sure I post pics of them when I do a tester :-)
Back to top Go down
izmerul
Veteran
Veteran
izmerul

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Modular MDF gaming board   Modular MDF gaming board Icon_minitimeThu 21 Nov 2013 - 14:56

aaaw man ... now I want a dremmel for christmas
Back to top Go down
Kev
Champion
Champion
Kev

PostSubject: Re: Modular MDF gaming board   Modular MDF gaming board Icon_minitimeThu 21 Nov 2013 - 16:56

Loved the doodles. Really inspired me to think about my own houses Im going to build. Getting that run down and odd angles feel is very difficult. I will most definetly keep an eye out for your progress.
Back to top Go down
http://kimsminis.blogspot.se/
Pikey
Youngblood
Youngblood
Pikey

PostSubject: Re: Modular MDF gaming board   Modular MDF gaming board Icon_minitimeMon 25 Nov 2013 - 13:42

Looking forward to playing some games on this mate. It's coming along rather nicely.
Back to top Go down
voodoodood
Youngblood
Youngblood
voodoodood

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Modular MDF gaming board   Modular MDF gaming board Icon_minitimeMon 25 Nov 2013 - 14:40

Haha cheers Pikey, gimme this week and all 4 by 4 will be scored :-)
Back to top Go down
voodoodood
Youngblood
Youngblood
voodoodood

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Modular MDF gaming board   Modular MDF gaming board Icon_minitimeWed 27 Nov 2013 - 20:13

Ive added a 4th blog for my project, involving buildings and steps ( finally )
Back to top Go down
HellspawN
Warlord
Warlord
HellspawN

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Modular MDF gaming board   Modular MDF gaming board Icon_minitimeThu 5 Dec 2013 - 12:35

I'm dreaming about possibilities, looking at all the MDF boards sleeping in my garage...
And I'm waiting for the pictures of your first painted pieces to decide if I will or won't use your technique for my table. I'll keep an interested eye on the topic!
Back to top Go down
izmerul
Veteran
Veteran
izmerul

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Modular MDF gaming board   Modular MDF gaming board Icon_minitimeThu 5 Dec 2013 - 15:39

instead of engraving everything couldn't you make some molds of the basic shapes and make the rest out of resin?
Back to top Go down
HellspawN
Warlord
Warlord
HellspawN

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Modular MDF gaming board   Modular MDF gaming board Icon_minitimeFri 6 Dec 2013 - 12:51

If he's like me, he'll answer that he doesn't want to have similar shapes repeating themselves but different shapes for every piece...
I would understand it...
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Modular MDF gaming board   Modular MDF gaming board Icon_minitimeFri 6 Dec 2013 - 13:01

I can relate to that too. And even though I find making stuff like tiles and windows a bit repetitive, forging individual things is what makes me enjoy the hobby so much.

Joao
Back to top Go down
monkeylite
Champion
Champion
monkeylite

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Modular MDF gaming board   Modular MDF gaming board Icon_minitimeFri 6 Dec 2013 - 15:04

Looking good so far. I'll keep an eye on this, too.

Who is the guy in the archway?
Back to top Go down
http://tewblogger.blogspot.com/
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Modular MDF gaming board   Modular MDF gaming board Icon_minitimeFri 6 Dec 2013 - 15:56

monkeylite, the model is this one:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1530038a

By the way, I revisited your blog after a long while. I love those battle reports and the pictures of your warbands and scenery. Great stuff!!

Joao
Back to top Go down
monkeylite
Champion
Champion
monkeylite

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Modular MDF gaming board   Modular MDF gaming board Icon_minitimeFri 6 Dec 2013 - 16:40

Thanks Joao,

I've not done any finecast before, but that bloke looks a bit too good to ignore.

Thanks, for the comment, as well. I've not done too much Mordheim-style stuff recently, but the 7TV stuff is pretty much the same sort of thing: small, tightly themed warband skirmishing. 7TV is begging for a warhammer-style version, too. I've been meaning to give it a go, it's just a matter of getting round to it.
Back to top Go down
http://tewblogger.blogspot.com/
voodoodood
Youngblood
Youngblood
voodoodood

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Modular MDF gaming board   Modular MDF gaming board Icon_minitimeMon 16 Dec 2013 - 11:02

Thanks for the support guys, I've now got the whole board engraved and built and pretty much under coated, next is loads of buildings, there are some test ones on my blog
http://voodoodood.blogspot.co.uk/
Back to top Go down
Ezekiel
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Ezekiel

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Merchants (BTB) Merchants (BTB)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Modular MDF gaming board   Modular MDF gaming board Icon_minitimeMon 16 Dec 2013 - 12:21

Looks good!

Just a heads up: Judging from your doodles, you're planning on tall buildings (which looks awesome!) but be aware that they tend to be tricky to play. - I've got a bunch of 4/5 storey buildings going on my table, and they have a habit of getting stuck in gamers' sleeves and topple over your models when pulled in this fashion.

My buildings are mostly intact, and therefor are tricky to reach inside, even though they all open up floor by floor. This is one reason we usually prefer the 2 storey buildings or ruins to play in. it just makes for nicer games... Before you stack a whole bunch of tall buildings, maybe you want to playtest them a bit and see where you want to take it.

Good Luck, and hope you'll find your board plays better than mine. Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.mysthconcepts.nl
Kev
Champion
Champion
Kev

PostSubject: Re: Modular MDF gaming board   Modular MDF gaming board Icon_minitimeMon 16 Dec 2013 - 13:45

Loved that 2 story building you made. Where did you get the windows from? And the door? These are the details that i cant seem to get right so far. Looks really good and Mordeheimy Smile
Back to top Go down
http://kimsminis.blogspot.se/
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Modular MDF gaming board   Modular MDF gaming board Icon_minitimeMon 16 Dec 2013 - 19:20

Your MDF work and skills are paying off. Those streets look really cool.

Are you going to use any other material apart from MDF? The reason I'm asking is because other things like foam could add a bit more variety in terms of angles and shapes.

Joao
Back to top Go down
voodoodood
Youngblood
Youngblood
voodoodood

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Modular MDF gaming board   Modular MDF gaming board Icon_minitimeMon 16 Dec 2013 - 23:57

Some awesome advice and things to think about there guys, thanks and I'll keep ya posted
Back to top Go down
anglicanrising
Youngblood
Youngblood
anglicanrising

PostSubject: Re: Modular MDF gaming board   Modular MDF gaming board Icon_minitimeThu 20 Mar 2014 - 9:35

Wow, this looks fantastic, once i finish creating a Generic Table for Warhammer Fantasty & 40K, i want to build a table just like yours.

can i get a screen shot of what the entire floor looks like without the building on top?

You have inspired me, i never would of thought basic MDF could plus a bit of hard work could look so good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modular MDF gaming board   Modular MDF gaming board Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Modular MDF gaming board
Page 1 of 1