Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)

Go down 
+204
VoN ~ KRiMSoN
caratacos
Beastofburden
Coppermind
Benji
hexenjagar
Trulsa
Dreadgrass
Soulblight
Thumz
Kajiya
Tonka
Plutz
Karskin
Dorkman
sir-ronsalot
scottypotty
Reg06
Targetlock
Crimson Cobra
Frankdrabbytt
Contempt
_JC_
teh orc player
Rawfist Bloodyknuckle
Dahag
blindrage19
L.T.86
Lord 0
Stirlander
CygnusMaximus
Eisenblume
SiliconSicilian
Judo
Eliazar
Cian Shieldbiter
alveiz
BigEasy1022
GreyWolf
Exodite
Heart
hwd
Drongol
sartori
Keylan
Anthonius
crouching lictor
Zarkam
yugnat
pascal the rascal
Splendor
kidbone
toemasss
ChildOfKhorne
VilleVicious
Katsuhiko JiNNai
Figgy
Sybylla
Sven The Mighty
Mortimer
Back-Up Ninja
BurnTehWitch
Horatio
wyldhunt
Plague Docter
SoldierOfFortune
JAFisher44
Girr
Joker2and53
Fungomungus
hannibalisfun
rain9441
Svenn
kerill
perfesser
Jadex
lordofslack
black mantis
Wolfen
Stinkeye
Archnomad
Arathorn
way2blaster
Davespaceman
Dulu
mortosthegodly
Moonknight
embitteredsoul
Polar Star
cjp
Mexican_Ninja
Ancre
Tewfik
ImUrDentist
Goonstah
TarZaN
Rituality
Popmouth
outbreak
Tom O'Bedlam
Jaquemart
Trick3003
walkonearth
tuxedokman
Citizen Sade
extraman92
PorkSocks
Earthcrosser599
Horatius
The_Trans
darthblud
dwarflord17404
heylookitsmatt
squattingmouse
Crowbarr
robertrunner
Hamsterjoe
Dmig
Hans Grüber
Pentagathus
jerk_burger
usagi_tetsu
Goosetipher
Alcaeus
Blackjack13
Captain Yesterday
FrostyLobster
Von Kurst
Death Jester
magokiron
Fallen
Identity
PitFighterTrainer
Randomtask
werekin
Lord Xi
Ram Rock Ed First
Xarx
Chad
RandomRaefe
Drud
Inferny
Hawkeye
Deatheven13
Skavenblight
atzerath
Elmoth
Burlok Blackaxe
Oldcastle
CrazyOrc88
AjaxUSA
Ralron
GMillar
xarly22
VonStreusel
Fishman
catferret
bolerus
Unwanted
Chitriel
Ezekiel
scotty
Barden The Butcher
Random
Duce
witch hunter commander
Skavenslayer
rhuntar
ironbull
Exarch Thomo
thatirwinfella
DeafNala
Asgath
Lord Archaon
Jacky-Boy
Axel
Lanyssa Ryssyll
Pathfinder Dubstyles
lord siwoc
Jänis
Gen.Steiner
Boehm
arch heretic
organboy
zoglug
da green one
Da Bank
Konqueror
cianty
Pfreck
WarbossKurgan
barrskog
JohnYoung
Ashton
Tortiou
Brahm Tazoul
Loki77515
Yorik
Etienne de Beaugard
Hellfoot
Tagnator
Admin Tom
Erkwin
matt
208 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
catferret
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
catferret

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned:

Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri 27 Mar 2009 - 0:59

Matt, I make that list 509gc not 499. However, I disagree with Pentagathus's advice in that numbers are very important. Yes, money will be slightly lower than warbands with fewer members, but winning games makes you extra cash (bonus exploration dice increases the chances of getting the doubles, etc). With the high number of models, you will be taking rout checks later as well as having enough bodies to achieve objectives.
Back to top Go down
heylookitsmatt
Warrior
Warrior
heylookitsmatt

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri 27 Mar 2009 - 3:06

Yeah, I think i posted that before I found that I needed to pull something. I forget what it was, but I think I took an item from one of my champs. Anyway, I am thinking about trading a few warriors for giving them all bucklers.

Edit: Also, I notice lots of people use a brace of pistols on their captain. It seems pretty expensive for a short range weapon that will pierce more armor that the enemy will likely have. You can use it in the first round of combat, but it takes the place of his normal attacks and only increases his strength by 1. Am I missing something? I think I'd like more bang for my gold crowns, but so many people use it, I might just not be seeing the value.
Back to top Go down
catferret
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
catferret

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri 27 Mar 2009 - 10:43

A brace of duelling pistols is more common I've found. The accuracy rule often means you are hitting henchmen on 2+ in the first round. And it may only be 1 point of strength higher but that makes a huge difference in Mordheim.

Sometimes you will find that you are only an inch or so out of charge range, or your opponent is round a corner preventing you charging. Then having a miisile attack will be useful. Arguably you'd be better with a bow in that circumstance, but S4 will be useful against Dwarves and Orcs. It's a flexibility thing really.

Final reason for pistols is they look cool. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dwarflord17404
Youngblood
Youngblood
dwarflord17404

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Rookie attempt at dominating my league   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 23 Icon_minitimeThu 2 Apr 2009 - 17:16

lol!

I have a decent size empire army so i was going to us ethe models i have in my first ever campaign to see if i like the game. I have read the rules and liek the marienburg fluff. So unto my list

Captain dueling pistols sword 120

Champion with helmet and great sword x2 = 120

Young blood with club and dagger = 18

Young blood with dagger and axe =20

4 swordmen with sword and board in 2 groups of 2 =200

3 marksmen with long bows = 120

I'll have 2 gold left. ley me no what you think. I could swap out anything because i have an extensive empire army so i am open to sugestions although i like the idea of an army of elite swordsmen.
Back to top Go down
darthblud
Warrior
Warrior
darthblud

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 23 Icon_minitimeThu 2 Apr 2009 - 17:31

You should change the great sword to a sword. In Mordheim you strike last if you use double handed weapon :-/

Also it's better to separate henchmen in groups of one to gain one heroe as soon as possible Smile
Back to top Go down
dwarflord17404
Youngblood
Youngblood
dwarflord17404

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: HUH THAT'S INTERESTING   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri 3 Apr 2009 - 0:19

HELP me OUT WITH THIS IF YOU HAVE NO ST5 MODELS IN YOUR ARMY HOW DO YOU HURT THE RAT OGRE AND THEIR ELK UNLESS YOU GET LUCKY AND ROLLA 6 TO WOUND. As far as putting each henchman as a seperate unit everything i have been told both by the vets at my store and readibg online tell me otherwise. Has this strategy work for you because i don't mind bucking the trend but it seems that the rest of the world thinks different then you.
Back to top Go down
darthblud
Warrior
Warrior
darthblud

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri 3 Apr 2009 - 0:26

What is the benefit from putting all henchmen together? I have already told you why I put them separate. It works for me.
If you put them together and then you gain +1L it's a pity.
But if you put them separated, maybe you gain +1L with one, but maybe other one gains +1S or +1T and then you can increase that group Smile

With pistols you have S4 so you can hurt it. S4 vs T5 --> 5
Back to top Go down
PitFighterTrainer
Ancient
Ancient
PitFighterTrainer

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pit Fighters (Unofficial) Pit Fighters (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri 3 Apr 2009 - 0:46

putting henchmen in groups of 1 each is a better choice, as you have more chances to get the Lad's Got Talent skill. More heroes = more chances for dice on the exploration chart = more income = more money to equip and buy more models.
Back to top Go down
dwarflord17404
Youngblood
Youngblood
dwarflord17404

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri 3 Apr 2009 - 3:31

good to know. I will do that so you can have infinty bans of 1 as long as you dont exceed 15 models correct? Another question is would be am i correct in assuming swordsmen are so much better than warriors.
Back to top Go down
Identity
Elder
Elder
Identity

Trading Reputation : -2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri 3 Apr 2009 - 4:58

Swordsmen are significantly better than warriors, but they are also 40% more expensive. In addition, they're only significantly better when equipped with swords, and swords are very expensive for henchmen equipment. Personally, I would go with more warriors (equipped with daggers, clubs) rather than fewer swordsmen (equipped with swords). I usually like to use henchmen as fodder, feeding experience to my heroes. If you want your henchmen to be as powerful as possible in combat, take the swordsmen, but remember, one of your swordsmen killed is 50 gold lost. That's nearly twice what a warrior with dagger and club would cost (28 ).

Another thing to consider is what you want your 6th hero to be. If you want it to be a combat unit, then you'd rather promote a swordsman than a warrior, so you'd start with lots of single groups of swordsmen in your warband (rather than warriors). However, if you want the promotion to be a shooter, then you'd field lots of marksmen in single groups to start, and you might not even bother hiring warriors or swordsmen at the start. A marksman henchman is every bit as good in melee as a warrior is, for the same price.

As far as the rat ogre goes, they are very hard to take out with S3 attacks. If you know you will be facing one, you might want to consider taking a crossbow or two to sit back and takes shots on it. Alternatively, you can exploit the skaven's greatest weakness: low leadership. Completely ignore the rat ogre (just make sure it can't charge your heroes), and focus on killing the weaker rats. Soon the skaven warband will have to take rout tests, and on Ld 7, they should fail relatively quickly.

Also, helmets aren't really worth 10 gold until later in a campaign (this broadly applies to all armor). I'd forgo it in favor of something else.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 23 Icon_minitimeTue 7 Apr 2009 - 5:20

Rat Ogres are scary early in campaigns or leagues (I always take one!) But crossbows scare it or they should. They can get that critical hit that spells death for multi-wound creatures.

I'll echo the chorus of split your henchmen up into single man groups. Some people teach the buy henchmen in groups approach. I don't know why. I think it has something to do with the way the game was originally presented in White Dwarf so some people believe that it is THE WAY THE GAME SHOULD BE PLAYED.

Mordheim is based on Warhammer, but the rules tweaks they made make it a very different game. Armor is not as useful. Shields are next to useless. Most warriors use 2 weapons when fighting because the extra attack increases your chance of a wounding hit.

Against shooting either shoot back or learn to hide and use terrain. They can't shoot you if they can't see you.

Good hunting!
Back to top Go down
The_Trans
Youngblood
Youngblood
The_Trans

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Apr 2009 - 3:21

Hey all, just told to move my starteing warband over here, ive already had some advice, what would you guys advise??

vampire Shield, Sword, Hammer (133)
necromancer axe (40)
dreg Helm, Hammer, Short Bow (38 )
3 Ghouls (120)
6 Zombies (90)
3Gc spare

or

Dire wolf (50)
2 Zombies (30)
13GC spare

All models ofcoarse have free dagger (where applicable)

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Identity
Elder
Elder
Identity

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Apr 2009 - 5:24

If you take away the 3 helms on the dregs, you'll save 30 gold, and I can guarantee it wont help them in any significant way if you keep them. You can use the gold for zombies, or swap out a zombie and get a dire wolf/extra ghoul. I'd go with the ghoul. You could also upgrade the shortbows to bows. And if you still really want a helmet, put it on your vamp at least Razz

Edit: Just remembered helmets are useless on undead. Just don't get them to start with Wink
Back to top Go down
catferret
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
catferret

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Apr 2009 - 12:49

Identity wrote:
Edit: Just remembered helmets are useless on undead. Just don't get them to start with Wink

Only useless on models with "No Pain". Dregs do not have that rule and can therefore make good use of helmets. Being heroes, you want to keep them alive so they can earn income. In the undead warband they are the easy targets so anything you can do to keep them standing until the end of the game is likely going to be worth the cash.

A bow will also be more useful over a shortbow. The extra range is quite significant.
Back to top Go down
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Apr 2009 - 14:18

Hi, I just re-wrote my outlaw band (I'd mislaid the original list), and am wondering if this list looks a bit over-powered: (I'm thinking that it will trash any warband that's not dwarfs, too powerful!)

Bandit Leader

Longbow, Sword, Dagger

Champion

Longbow, Dagger, Dagger

Champion

Longbow, Dagger, Dagger

Cleric

Club, Staff

Petty Thief

Longbow, Dagger

Petty Thief

Longbow, Dagger

5 Marksmen

Longbow, Dagger, Dagger
Back to top Go down
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Apr 2009 - 14:20

Hmm, it's in unreadable black, let's see if this works:

Bandit Leader 85

Longbow, Sword, Dagger

Champion 52

Longbow, Dagger, Dagger

Champion 52

Longbow, Dagger, Dagger

Cleric 41

Club, Staff

Petty Thief 30

Longbow, Dagger

Petty Thief 30

Longbow, Dagger

5 Marksmen 210

Longbow, Dagger, Dagger
Back to top Go down
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 23 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2009 - 12:09

Erm, I could realy do with some feedback on this one.
Back to top Go down
Horatius
Warlord
Warlord
Horatius

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 23 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2009 - 18:00

The outlaw warband looks fine to me. It is pretty much maxed out, but still playable. An outlaw warband has to be shooty (the rules force you to), and with all those longbows you maxed your long range firepower. This can be pretty overpowering unless you play with lots of terrain, so if you want your opponent to have some fun playing against you give him lots of stuff to hide behind Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 23 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2009 - 23:02

Not a problem, we've got lots of terrain. I'm wondering what will happen in CC, the 11 attacks will probably do something.
Back to top Go down
Earthcrosser599
Hero
Hero
Earthcrosser599

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Apr 2009 - 5:18

Here's my list that I'm taking tomorrow for my first game. I've already painted up most of my guys so I'll try to get a picture of the game up if I can find my camera:

Rayford's Raiders
Marienburg Mercenaries

Captain Rayford Duncan
-2 Duelist Pistols, Sword, Heavy Armor, Dagger

Champion Dustin St. Gulik
-Sword, Buckler, Dagger

Champion Oro deLeon
-Sword, Buckler, Dagger

Youngblood Alex Weston
-Sword, Buckler, Dagger

Youngblood Colm
-Dagger, Dagger

3 Marksmen
-3 Handguns

2 Swordsmen
-Swords, Bucklers
Back to top Go down
Identity
Elder
Elder
Identity

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Apr 2009 - 7:26

Looks like a good list. If you're trying to play WYSIWYG models, go ahead and keep that. Otherwise, there are a few equipment changes you should consider.

First of all, the official rules for handguns are quite awful. Crossbows are far superior. I'd recommend you swap for them.

Armor is overpriced as well. That heavy armor on your captain isn't worth the 50 gold. You'd be better served spending it elsewhere.

Bucklers are rather inefficient for their pricing as well. When used with a sword to reroll, they add less than 1/6th chance to parry vs someone of the same WS. If you took an additional hand weapon instead, it would double your chances of wounding the enemy model.

Good luck tomorrow. It's a wonderful game.
Back to top Go down
Horatius
Warlord
Warlord
Horatius

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Apr 2009 - 7:33

I agree: That Marienburg list looks playable, but i would ditch the handguns and use crossbows or bows instead. Handguns are the worst missile weapons in the game: More expensive then crossbows, can only be fired if stationary and only able to shoot every second round.
Their only strength (armour piercing) is next to useless because armour is so ineffective and overpriced in Mordheim that nobody uses it.
Normally i play a mix of bows and crossbows. This gives you some models that can move and shoot and some that pack a real punch.
Back to top Go down
Identity
Elder
Elder
Identity

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Apr 2009 - 7:43

Horatius wrote:
Handguns are the worst missile weapons in the game
Try blowpipes Mad
Back to top Go down
Horatius
Warlord
Warlord
Horatius

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Apr 2009 - 10:28

O.K., you are right, blowpipes are really bad. On the other hand, they are slightly cheaper and can move & fire Wink .
Back to top Go down
PorkSocks
Youngblood
Youngblood
PorkSocks

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 23 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Apr 2009 - 19:07

I'm a new player putting together a Skaven warband, mostly from the parts available in a Night Runners regiment box. I do however have plenty of weapon bits available, so WYSIWYG shouldn't be too hard to comply with.

I've put together lists that include anywhere from 15-17 models (no giant rats... don't like 'em) depending on what weapons I take and weather I take a sorceror. As you would expect, the weapons consist of slings for everyone and then cheap hand weapons like extra daggers, clubs, and maybe swords for a few of the heroes.

Two observations about Skaven that I'd like you input on:

1. Skaven Sorcerors seem like junk. The only skaven spell I like is the d3 free rats. After that I'd rather just build melee or missle skills on a hero. Would I be better served with a "Lad's got talent" hero than a sorceror if all I want is another missle or melee hero? I'd choose Shooting/Speed for missle or Strength/Speed for melee for a LGT hero. The sorceror has exp for 4 advances he really doesn't use compared to the LGT hero, and his skill selection is "meh" to say the least. So, would you keep the sorceror or go for the LGT guy? Why?

2. Skaven heroes seem to have really crappy options for 1h weapons to dual wield. You basically have sword and.... sword. Unless of course you want to give up missle weapons entirely and go for claws (which I don't). I don't mind starting my heroes out with junk weapon combos like dagger/dagger or sword/dagger, but where do you go for long term growth? I really wish they could use clubs ebcause it they are actually really good weapons it seems. How about moving to Flails once the models gains a few attacks? Maybe put a sword on his tail for a parry if you get Tail Fighting. So, how do YOU arm your skaven heroes in the long run if you don't want to give up missle options?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 23 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)
Page 23 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next