Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

A new start...

Go down 
+12
Lion01
totzro
Pervavita
Von Kurst
Bolbotos
Paperbag
Lars Wurst
Spectre76
theomar pius
Jerry_O
DeafNala
Vagabond
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

A new start... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new start...   A new start... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Feb 2013 - 22:32

The Tower & your entire gaming board for that matter are LOOKIN' GOOD! Even in their unfinished state they are MOST IMPRESSIVE. Keep up the SPLENDID WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Lion01
Knight
Knight
Lion01

Trading Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: A new start...   A new start... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 16 Feb 2013 - 23:43

This is some great looking work! The covered walkway is something I've been wanting to make for a long time (every Mordheim gaming table should have a structure like that!) but I've never got round to actually doing it.

I love the round tower with the square room on top of it. It looks like a good design, much better than a standard round tower with round pointed roof. And you've added some cool extras too, like the support columns and the stairs to the door. I'm going to shamelessly steal your design and make something just like it for my own gaming table!
Back to top Go down
Vagabond
Ancient
Ancient
Vagabond

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: A new start...   A new start... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 17 Feb 2013 - 12:37

Lion01 wrote:
...I'm going to shamelessly steal your design and make something just like it for my own gaming table!

Feel free to do it! Smile But don't forget to post your pictures! Wink
Back to top Go down
Vagabond
Ancient
Ancient
Vagabond

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A new start...   A new start... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 2 Mar 2013 - 19:04

Here the situation: As I have little spare time lately, and I'd have less and less in the future, I tought of painting all my buildings in one color scheme. But that would be a little lame. So an idea came to me that I paint my buildings as it is a night time. That's where I need your help guys! What is the easiest way to do it? Some kind of tutorial would be nice or any idea you could think of! I hope I'm not asking too much. Neutral
Back to top Go down
theomar pius
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
theomar pius

PostSubject: Re: A new start...   A new start... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 2 Mar 2013 - 22:14

Oh man, that might be tougher than just straight painting the thing. Lots of purples and blues in night painting, but I couldn't begin to tell you how to pull it off. The board is looking great though.
Back to top Go down
Vagabond
Ancient
Ancient
Vagabond

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A new start...   A new start... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 2 Mar 2013 - 22:36

I know, I know! Smile But there's got to be some simple tricks too, excluding object source lightning etc. Can you at least direct me to some pictures, I can't find anything via Google! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Lion01
Knight
Knight
Lion01

PostSubject: Re: A new start...   A new start... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 4 Mar 2013 - 21:51

Vagabond wrote:
That's where I need your help guys! What is the easiest way to do it? Some kind of tutorial would be nice or any idea you could think of! I hope I'm not asking too much. Neutral

Well, I'm not sure if anything like that has ever been done before, so naturally you'd be hard pressed to find any examples. But I must say I'm intrigued by the idea! Of course you would start by spraying all the buildings black and drybrushing them with shades of progressively lighter grey. You could use blue and purple hues to add a touch of colour, but on a dark background that will never stand out much. So what light sources can there be in the night...? I'm thinking:

- Moonlight: a bright yellow drybrush followed by white
- Starlight: a light drybrush with a bone colour followed by white
- Wyrdstone glow: building up from dark to bright green, finished off by bright yellow and white
- Fire: from red to orange to yellow for normal fire, or blue/green/purple for arcane fire

You could also paint the interior of the buildings to represent a fire burning inside. I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but thanks for the idea any way, I might try some of it myself!
Back to top Go down
Vagabond
Ancient
Ancient
Vagabond

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A new start...   A new start... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 5 Mar 2013 - 5:04

Lion01 wrote:
- Wyrdstone glow: building up from dark to bright green, finished off by bright yellow and white

This is what came to me first! But I don't know how to do it to achieve the effect! Sad That's why I'm looking for reference pictures of any kind to give me some basics from where to start. Games Workshop's Skaven scenery from Skaven Army Book was my first idea. The water mill building! What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Lion01
Knight
Knight
Lion01

PostSubject: Re: A new start...   A new start... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 5 Mar 2013 - 18:31

Vagabond wrote:
Games Workshop's Skaven scenery from Skaven Army Book was my first idea. The water mill building! What do you think?

Yeah, the watermill building is great. I think the trick is to apply the effect to a part of a building and not all over it, and leave corners and crevises dark. That way it looks like the glow is coming from a certain direction. I'd practice first on some unused leftovers, to get a feel for what colours and techniques work best. I think the effect will also depend on what material you use to cover the walls, i.e. plaster, structured paint, or bare foam/cardbord. Do some tests, I think it's the only way to figure it out!
Back to top Go down
Vagabond
Ancient
Ancient
Vagabond

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A new start...   A new start... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 6 Mar 2013 - 6:53

Thanks! I'll give it a try as soon as I have spare time.
Back to top Go down
wanna993
Captain
Captain
wanna993

PostSubject: Re: A new start...   A new start... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 8 Mar 2013 - 22:44

Wow awesome ruins you have in here. Your use of materials is quite baffling, I'd never though making a building with foam the way you did. I like the variety in all the buildings you have. I might try some of these out if you don't mind Smile
Back to top Go down
Etrigan001
Veteran
Veteran
Etrigan001

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: A new start...   A new start... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 9 Mar 2013 - 2:49

You've got some really nice looking ruins there! After seeing what you've done with a sheet of insulation foam I'm seeing all new possibilities for terrain making!

Awesome stuff. Can't wait to see it all painted up!
Back to top Go down
Vagabond
Ancient
Ancient
Vagabond

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A new start...   A new start... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 9 Mar 2013 - 6:31

wanna993 wrote:
...I might try some of these out if you don't mind Smile

Of course I don't! Smile
Back to top Go down
Vagabond
Ancient
Ancient
Vagabond

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A new start...   A new start... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 18 Feb 2014 - 23:00

I still haven't started painting my terrain, instead I'm adding some details on buildings and generally. So here are a few things that I've been doing for the past few day:

A new start... - Page 2 Photo010

Comment & critiques are welcome as always! :)And sorry for the bad photo, it was taken with my cell phone.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A new start...   A new start... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 18 Feb 2014 - 23:51

The barrels & crates look GREAT. Are they your own creations?   What a Face
Back to top Go down
Vagabond
Ancient
Ancient
Vagabond

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A new start...   A new start... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 18 Feb 2014 - 23:53

Yes they are! Smile
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A new start...   A new start... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Feb 2014 - 0:02

In the case you deserve a VERY WELL DONE!   thumbsup 
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A new start...   A new start... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Feb 2014 - 0:37

Very well done, indeed! They look very realistic! Awesome stuff!

Joao
Back to top Go down
http://fistful-minis.blogspot.co.uk/
NoisyAssassin
Warlord
Warlord
NoisyAssassin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: Bronze Tom Bronze Tom

PostSubject: Re: A new start...   A new start... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Feb 2014 - 4:33

Terrain is looking great so far, lots of cool buildings on this board.

As for your question about nighttime painting, I think this thread is probably a good place to start looking.

Video games are also a good place to get inspiration. For example:
A new start... - Page 2 2.worlds.2.02.lg

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A new start...   A new start... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A new start...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2