Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Which is better: Toughened Hide or Resilient?

Go down 
+2
Von Kurst
Arli
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Arli
Veteran
Veteran
Arli

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: none

Which is better:  Toughened Hide or Resilient? Empty
PostSubject: Which is better: Toughened Hide or Resilient?   Which is better:  Toughened Hide or Resilient? Icon_minitimeSat 8 Dec 2012 - 4:56

Which is better for a lizardmen Saurus Totem Warrior, Toughened Hide (only Out of Action on a 6) or Resilience (-1 Str from wounding rolls but does not affect armor save modifiers)?

I am leaning toward resilience, but I wanted to get your input.

Another question for you guys, what are the max stats for Saurus? For Skinks? I have two different copies of the Lustria rules, but I cannot find that information.

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Which is better: Toughened Hide or Resilient?   Which is better:  Toughened Hide or Resilient? Icon_minitimeSat 8 Dec 2012 - 5:28

Back to top Go down
Arli
Veteran
Veteran
Arli

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Which is better: Toughened Hide or Resilient?   Which is better:  Toughened Hide or Resilient? Icon_minitimeSat 8 Dec 2012 - 13:24

Thanks a bunch! What is your opinion of Toughened hide vs Resilience?
Back to top Go down
weeble1000
Hero
Hero
weeble1000

PostSubject: Re: Which is better: Toughened Hide or Resilient?   Which is better:  Toughened Hide or Resilient? Icon_minitimeSat 8 Dec 2012 - 13:33

I would say Resilient. It is better to not take a wound than to be knocked down or stunned, simple as that. -1 S to attack is effectively +1 Toughness for the purposes of being wounded by a warrior, and it does not count towards your racial maximum.

Someone can math hammer it I suppose, but I would always prefer to not be on the ground in the first place. Some noob is going to put you OOA if you're on the ground.
Back to top Go down
Arli
Veteran
Veteran
Arli

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Which is better: Toughened Hide or Resilient?   Which is better:  Toughened Hide or Resilient? Icon_minitimeSat 8 Dec 2012 - 13:55

That is what I was leaning toward. The toughened hide is nice to have, but the first step in the right direction would be resilience.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Which is better: Toughened Hide or Resilient?   Which is better:  Toughened Hide or Resilient? Icon_minitimeSat 8 Dec 2012 - 18:17

I'll just add a +1 to the resilience love. To not be wounded at all is better than being stunned in a crowd. Its very precitable but I go Step Aside, Resilient and then whatever else I might desire for defensive skill paths.
Back to top Go down
Arli
Veteran
Veteran
Arli

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Which is better: Toughened Hide or Resilient?   Which is better:  Toughened Hide or Resilient? Icon_minitimeSat 8 Dec 2012 - 18:20

So, should I take the step aside skill before I take the Resilient skill?
Back to top Go down
weeble1000
Hero
Hero
weeble1000

PostSubject: Re: Which is better: Toughened Hide or Resilient?   Which is better:  Toughened Hide or Resilient? Icon_minitimeSat 8 Dec 2012 - 18:52

Von Kurst wrote:
I'll just add a +1 to the resilience love. To not be wounded at all is better than being stunned in a crowd. Its very precitable but I go Step Aside, Resilient and then whatever else I might desire for defensive skill paths.

Awesome! Now I know that I am not alone! I don't always go step aside and resilient, but they are very attractive choices and I tend to take then a lot.

5+ ward save in hand to hand? Yes please. The only trick is remembering to roll it Wink.
Back to top Go down
Arli
Veteran
Veteran
Arli

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Which is better: Toughened Hide or Resilient?   Which is better:  Toughened Hide or Resilient? Icon_minitimeSat 8 Dec 2012 - 18:54

Is it better to have that first, or the resilience?
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Which is better: Toughened Hide or Resilient?   Which is better:  Toughened Hide or Resilient? Icon_minitimeSat 8 Dec 2012 - 19:01

That's up to you. I was facing a lot of +1 S no armor save weapons from Amazons, so I wanted the unmodifiable save.
Back to top Go down
Grumbaki
Knight
Knight
Grumbaki

PostSubject: Re: Which is better: Toughened Hide or Resilient?   Which is better:  Toughened Hide or Resilient? Icon_minitimeSun 9 Dec 2012 - 5:12

I prefer to have step aside whenever I have the choice. It doesn't matter if you are hit with a S1 or a S6 attack, you still ignore it on a 5+.

That said, if you are T4+ and are sporting a nice AS, then I'd prefer resilient. So as an example, start off with a 5+ AS, buy heavy armor (3+) and get a shield (2+). Add resilient to T4 and S3 enemies can't crit you, which means that your 2+ AS is not going anywhere. And if you have T5 already, then S4 enemies can't crit you either (giving you a 3+) save.

Combining high T with resilient and an AS makes for a great tank. But if you are only T3-4 and don't have much of a save, having the 5+ ignore everything save is better in my book.
Back to top Go down
Goglutin
Elder
Elder
Goglutin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Which is better: Toughened Hide or Resilient?   Which is better:  Toughened Hide or Resilient? Icon_minitimeMon 17 Dec 2012 - 10:51

Step aside is a bit better... 1/3 to avoid every HtH blow. Its also another save you get over all other protection. But resilient is good particulary for T4 characters as with ''5T'' they are immune to most critical hits...

Saurus with resilient = 5T - so, from a normal hit, it will be wounded 1/6 + his armor save (failed 2/3)... that brings him to 1/9

Saurus with step aside = T4 - so from a normal hit, it will be wounded 1/3 + his armor save (failed 2/3)... that brings him to 2/9 + step aside (failed 2/3) will now bring him to 4/27... a slightly bit worse than resilient.

Still, step aside is better because it will protect your from all Strenght 1/3...

However, as a roleplayer/gamer, I'd choose resilient because I dont want to imagine a dumb saurus gracefully dodging blows...
Back to top Go down
Arli
Veteran
Veteran
Arli

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Which is better: Toughened Hide or Resilient?   Which is better:  Toughened Hide or Resilient? Icon_minitimeMon 17 Dec 2012 - 10:54

I went with resilient. Next up, I will take step aside, then the toughened hide.
Back to top Go down
Goglutin
Elder
Elder
Goglutin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Which is better: Toughened Hide or Resilient?   Which is better:  Toughened Hide or Resilient? Icon_minitimeMon 17 Dec 2012 - 11:08

Saurus T5 with resilient and step aside and light armor and a shield (I'd suppose you give 2 point AS to the shield)=

From a S3 hit : 1/6 x 1/6 (armour) x 2/3 (step aside) = 1/54

Combine this with an helmet and toughened hide so the 1/54 that go through will become a knocked down 7/12, stunned 3/12 and OOA 2/12...

Thats a tank... really...

Back to top Go down
Aipha
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Aipha

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Which is better: Toughened Hide or Resilient?   Which is better:  Toughened Hide or Resilient? Icon_minitimeSat 30 Nov 2013 - 0:39

Sorry for reviving this, but I think an important point has been left out:

Toughened Hide works against missile weapons as well, which neither of the two other skills do.

I tend to go with Step Aside first, but that's 'cause I usually take Mark of the Old Ones on my Totem-Warrior, which can be used with pleasure, if you should fail your Step Aside. Afterwards I tend to go Resilient, since it's nice to be crit immune to S3.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which is better: Toughened Hide or Resilient?   Which is better:  Toughened Hide or Resilient? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which is better: Toughened Hide or Resilient?
Page 1 of 1