Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Joao's Random Workshop

Go down 
+33
Captain Bernhardt
qazbnm
Soulblight
Vagabond
vampirekhaine
Ed
Spectre76
folketsfiende
werekin
chaos wolf
Mike
Arcuballis
Von Kurst
Paluke
theomar pius
Paboook
maxxev
izmerul
magokiron
mr_harold
cianty
floedebolle
qboid
5pointer
The Yak
gewaltatron
timplanet
WarbossKurgan
Alex
smokezombie
luckyjoe
DeafNala
JoaoS
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
chaos wolf
Warrior
Warrior
chaos wolf

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 23 Jul 2012 - 15:28

You did a truly wonderful job with the fishmonger's shack! It looks like something that you bought and painted, rather than built it yourself. Thanks for sharing that.
Back to top Go down
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Norse (Unofficial) Norse (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 23 Jul 2012 - 19:19

What a huge stash of freight you have there sir.

You've done such an excellent job of sculpting the fish that I thought you'd used one of those little plastic Hoi Sin sauce containers they give out on aeroplanes! You've done the Cathayan Merchants proud. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://libermalefic.blogspot.com/
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 23 Jul 2012 - 20:15

Thanks a lot for the feedback! Now looking back I'm wishing I'd taken more pictures of the fishmonger's shop...

floedebolle: No, I hadn't seen that! Is this the model you're talking about? I LOVE the bucket full of fish! I wish I could sculpt like that!! In fact, I wish I could have that model! Did you ever produce a tutorial on how to sculpt it?

werekin: he he he! The fish took ages to sculpt and they are far from being well done. It's a bit weird that GW never released fish models, being fish such a popular icon in Mordheimish culture.

Joao
Back to top Go down
http://fistful-minis.blogspot.co.uk/
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 24 Jul 2012 - 22:46

moin, jap, thats him, and no, no tutorial what so ever.
But maybe i should make one;), now that through your fantastic job, everyone´s loving fishmongers , and fishy charms too.
But i think you just have to wait until i get another of my warbands painted pro. That would mean i need money, and when i need money i start to sell off half my collection. It just happens with " Der lustige hans ", the jesterogre i made upon the heroquest ogre, but he´s not sold yet, put him up for auction again. Maybe i should sculp him a fishbucket on his head so you would buy him, ha?!Wink

more of your town please!

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 25 Jul 2012 - 10:37

floedebolle, that's very cool. Please let me know (you can even send me a PM) how much would you charge for a one-off sculpt. I could send what I have in mind (maybe on a sketch or rough drawing) and you can tell me if it's possible or not.

I'm painting up some beggars now, but you know me, I'm veeeeery slow at finishing thing up.

Joao
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 26 Jul 2012 - 8:25

A few more pics from the fishmonger's and the market.

Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Dsc_0530

Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Dsc_0531

Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Dsc_0532

Joao
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 26 Jul 2012 - 8:36

the shop is a real beauty!

Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 26 Jul 2012 - 14:24

floedebolle wrote:
the shop is a real beauty!

EXACTLY SO! It is a charming little piece with all sorts of lovely details that enhances your Town. The photos rival Prof. Witchheimer's beautiful board. Again, VERY WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
folketsfiende

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 27 Jul 2012 - 9:26

Great stuff, Joao. You may work slowly, but the quality is very high! Wonderful scenery and models!
Back to top Go down
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Spectre76

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 27 Jul 2012 - 16:36

Agreed! This village diorama is impressive! Look forward to seeing more of your work!
Back to top Go down
http://www.thetonezone.net
theomar pius
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
theomar pius

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 30 Jul 2012 - 20:00

Great details on the fishmonger shop, I love the sign and the window. All of your work is high uality, and I really like your pictures, they tell a great bit of story.
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 30 Jul 2012 - 21:41

Hey, thanks a lot for the nice comments! Prof. Witchheimer's town (especially the villagers), Cianty's Gierburg and Theomar's Dunbrough are among my biggest sources for inspiration.

Theomar, I'm really glad you liked it. Most of the new additions were due to our little conversation about the clutter and
this video (another endless source of inspiration for me).

Hope to put new stuff soon!

Joao
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Jan 2013 - 4:02

Hello again!

It's been a long, long time since I last updated this page or even done anything related to painting, for that matter.

I'm slowly (as usual) getting back to the hobby, but still very uncertain of what exactly I wish to focus on, given the array of options out there (civilians, pirates, goblins and so on).

So, the last thing I actually finished was a scratch-built house, which was more of an experience with Depron (a type of foam) for the stonework than anything else. This building was also a great chance to put in practice Theomar's method of making my own windows.

Finally, I had no idea what to use this building for, but since I was painting a merchant (from Lead Adventure miniatures) at that time, I just went for the merchant's house option.

These are just two pictures as teasers; hopefully I'll be putting up some more pictures later on.

Enjoy.

Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Mercha10

Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Mercha11

Joao

Last edited by JoaoS on Sun 20 Jan 2013 - 12:58; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Jan 2013 - 4:26

Hey! Hey! Welcome back. The building is an excellent addition to your fine town.
Back to top Go down
Ed
Captain
Captain
Ed

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Jan 2013 - 12:23

Stunning.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Jan 2013 - 13:17

WELCOME BACK indeed! That is a triumphal return. The Merchant's House & the Merchant himself look SPLENDID; the window experiment along with the rest of the building was a TREMENDOUS success. VERY WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
vampirekhaine
Warlord
Warlord
vampirekhaine

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Jan 2013 - 15:12

What I think is the most impressive feature about all the work you've done thus far is not even the quality of the painting or modelling (which IS top notch), but the very fact that it just breathes life! The entire atmosphere in this city almost makes you think it is based on something that actually exists!

Overall: Simply stunning! A beauty to look at, please do not stop!

Can we get a photo of the entire setting (the entire town thus far), just to put it in perspective?
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Jan 2013 - 22:30

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the kind words.

I moved to a new house, which doesn't have a garden, so it might be a while until I manage to find a way to take my stuff outside for some interesting shots.

vampirekhaine, thanks so much for your feedback. Smile
Have you seen Cianty's work? His town was a heavy inspiration for my villager collection. As for the buildings and urban atmosphere, Theomar Pius is the man! If you get the chance, check out the outstanding works of these two.

As for a family portrait of the town, I will try my best to make it interesting for you. DeafNala had already asked for that a long time ago, but I keep postponing that epic shot. It will happen one day! Smile

Here are some more shots of the merchant's house. I have used foamboard for the walls, coffee stirrers for the woodwork, Depron for the stonework (scored with a pencil and hobby knife) blue foam for the door, matchsticks for the window frames, mesh for the inside of the windows and cardboard for the roof tiles (as done for the cobbler's shop - a pain to glue individually, but worth the effort, as the roof looks far more realistic and interesting this way).

Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 House10

Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 House010

Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Door10

For the wall texture, I added bits of PVA glue and then scored the cracks onto the wall with a hobby knife.

Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Wall10

I also used PVA glue for the glass effects on the windows. So, Jeff (Theomar), PVA works as well as Water Effects, but it's far cheaper! Smile

Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Window10

The only non-scratch built element in the house is button with a symbol that resembled something medieval, which I used as an ornament for the building. It could be the family standard, for example.

Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Button10

I want to paint a few more civilians before I move to the next building. I have a fistful of beggars to add to the town as they will certainly be wandering near the merchant's house.

Joao
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Jan 2013 - 22:38

Again VERY WELL DONE! The button makes a nice coat of arms...just the thing for a pretentious Merchant type. thumbsup
Actually prime beggar territory would be near the inns & drinking establishments; re, whereas merchants are notoriously tight fisted, drunks are easy to separate from their money. clown
Back to top Go down
theomar pius
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
theomar pius

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jan 2013 - 4:18

That looks great, the scale is just right. Good work on the button too. I always look for them, but have a hard time finding ones that will fit in scale, but yours look just right. The house is great.
Back to top Go down
Vagabond
Ancient
Ancient
Vagabond

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jan 2013 - 8:23

JoaoS, I will ask you the same question as I asked theomar pius about his excellent work. What's it for? Do you play something on your table or it is only showcase/diorama?

Back to top Go down
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
folketsfiende

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jan 2013 - 8:48

More cool buildings! I really like your scenery. Makes me wanna play some Mordheim, but my own scenery is so crappy... guess I'd better learn how to make better stuff.
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jan 2013 - 17:03

Great job, and the roof tiling in particular. I dont have to mention that the guy standing in front of the building is awesome! The rust effects came out realy good too! More!

Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Jan 2013 - 1:02

Vagabond, I don't have a specific purpose for the town. The same goes for anything else I've been collecting in the past 4 years. I started collecting miniatures back in 2009 only with the goal of painting and enjoying myself in the process. After acquiring a few dozens of models I felt the need to collect scenery to go with it.
After that, I though: "why not get into gaming?". Even though that didn't take off as much as I though it would, I kept collecting models and terrain.
One of my passions is to display the models and take pictures of them and maybe create a few narratives. But I also have friends 'round my place to use the board and play with my scenery. So I guess it suits everyone. Smile

folketsfiende, until I paid close attention to Theomar Pius' work and how he does his buildings, I thought I wasn't able to build anything by myself.
But once you start looking around, taking pictures of old buildings, finding inspiration and checking out pictures and illustrations of houses you would like to build, you will feel more confident and inspired to start your projects. For me, the key thing was to get the scale right - something that is big enough but not huge and out of proportion.

Joao
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 3 Mar 2013 - 17:18

Hi there. I've been fairly busy revamping my town and buidling new houses. So far I have six more buildings to be part of the medieval town, but they are still very far from being finished.
In the meantime, I felt I wasn't totally happy with the merchant's house, so I added a few things to it.

The most significant change is the base addition.

Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Mercha10

I used foamboard for the surface, peeled the top side so I could carve textures (like the little stone path) onto the foam and added gravel, grass and home-made vegetation (flowers with pins and mushrooms, using Theomar's tecnique of rolling and cutting bits of dried white glue). This was a lot of fun and not that complicated.

Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Flower10

I also changed the door and used a bit from the GW Empire Volley Gun as the ornamented door knocker.

Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Door10

Finally I placed a chimney on the roof to make it more interesting.
All in all, it looks satisfactory and the house seems to still blend in well with the rest of the buildings.

Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Mercha11

I shall carry with the other scratch-built houses and see where this whole thing takes me. Smile
Hope you like it.

Joao
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Joao's Random Workshop
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next