Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Joao's Random Workshop

Go down 
+33
Captain Bernhardt
qazbnm
Soulblight
Vagabond
vampirekhaine
Ed
Spectre76
folketsfiende
werekin
chaos wolf
Mike
Arcuballis
Von Kurst
Paluke
theomar pius
Paboook
maxxev
izmerul
magokiron
mr_harold
cianty
floedebolle
qboid
5pointer
The Yak
gewaltatron
timplanet
WarbossKurgan
Alex
smokezombie
luckyjoe
DeafNala
JoaoS
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
maxxev
Ancient
Ancient
maxxev

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: none

Joao's Random Workshop - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 27 May 2013 - 23:16

Looks great, but i'd be rather worried about its strength, particularily now you've taken the backing off... Sad
Back to top Go down
Http://maxxev.blogspot.co.uk
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 28 May 2013 - 0:35

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the extra feedback.

Chris, the whole house still needs to be painted (in fact, I still need to put roof tiles on - Theomar's style). I actually can't wait to have it over and done with so you can have a feel of how the town is going to start looking like.

DeafNala, the rogues were a recent eBay find (apparently old Citadel models, although I can't find them elsewhere on the Internet).

Joao's Random Workshop - Page 5 Rogues10

They were fun to paint. I will take some close up photos of the pair once I get the taverns painted.

maxxev, you're right; it's not as sturdy as before, even though it's not falling apart (yet!). The problem that is added to the lack of sturdiness is the current width of the base. I want it to have enough space to place the models on it, but that clearly affects the sturdiness and makes the base too flexible.

Chris, when you made this base, what did you use? Just foamboard? Was it sturdy enough?

https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t1634p75-the-free-city-of-gierburg-board-scenery#41573

Joao
Back to top Go down
http://fistful-minis.blogspot.co.uk/
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 28 May 2013 - 0:45

That cobblestone street is made of cardboard (Kappa): With plasticish paper films on two sides and foam in between (sandwich style). I don't recommend using that stuff a lot. I tried it for my water board and it bended after painting. Also, the carving causes it to bend - becaue when you carve a structure into one side then you are making that side wider than the other side on the opposite so it naturally bends. Proper styrofoam is much better to work with because the carving causes the foam structure to be compressed rather than "pushed apart" as with that cardboard stuff.

God, I hope you understand what I mean... Rolling Eyes

It's definately sturdier than pure thin styrofoam so that's a plus a least. But you can't deal with the edges as nicely because that's where the layers (plastic/paper layer, foam, plasticpaper) are visible.
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 28 May 2013 - 1:13

Ah, ok! I think that's the same material as the one I used then (foamboard sheets definitely have the sandwich style, as you said). And yes, it was a proper nightmare to carve a pattern on it as it kept on pushing the foam outwards.

I guess the other solution is to make something like Tom's Mordheim board and simply place the houses on it...

Or something like this board (which I know you're familiar with, Chris! Very Happy ):

http://gidian-gelaende.de/Material_HP/Wolfgang/DorfWip/album/index.html

Joao
Back to top Go down
maxxev
Ancient
Ancient
maxxev

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 28 May 2013 - 8:45

I believe that stuff is called "Foamcore" (foam between two plasticated paper sheets).

I would have thought the easier option is to cover a board with the brik / cobble patterning and then place your houses on them, if you want to decorate around the houses, simply glue the decorations to the sides of the house (e.g. barrels, etc)., build up one side a bit with a thin strip of plasticard or something and then add elements, turf, etc as required.

Back to top Go down
qazbnm
Champion
Champion
qazbnm

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Shadow Warriors (Unofficial) Shadow Warriors (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 28 May 2013 - 15:46

Basing is the reason why my first scratch built house still isn't completed. I have painted it and it just has some details to go but I still can't decide on the base! I love how you solved the basing issue by incorporating the pavement into the base. That way, the house can be used on any board, including rural settings. The only problem I see is the sturdiness as maxxev pointed out. However, having no base isn't that sturdy either.

Decisions decisions...
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 28 May 2013 - 19:17

He he, yes, Joao. I do remember it quite a bit... Wink

It's really hard to talk about these materials because there are so many different products with vendor specific names out there. What I meant with foamboard is just that: a board made of foam. Like Styrodur, Selitron, Depron, etc. Pure insulation board.

However, you are right, Joao. Foamboard is the name for Foam core or Kappa sandwich thingies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foamcore
Now Kapa is a specific product, Kapa Line (click on "Information about Kapa Boards"):
http://www.modulor.de/shop/oxid.php/sid/1eda63d196cc31e230ff67337501180e/cl/details/anid/BBDB/tpl/-/searchparam/Kapa/lang/1/listtype/search

Man, this is confusing...

All I know is that Kapa sucks because it bends like hell. And those insulation foams rock.
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
Captain Bernhardt
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Captain Bernhardt

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 28 May 2013 - 19:32

It's been a while since I visited this part of the forum but boy, do I love to look at your pictures! they are so full of character!
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 28 May 2013 - 20:11

http://collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Thieves_-_C04_%28solid_base%29

here you can find them both, will actually soon paint one of those too, lovely minis, looking forward to see them painted!

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 29 May 2013 - 1:24

Hey thanks a lot for all the feedback and suggestions.

I've never tried Kapa before, so thanks for the pros and cons, Chris.

Maxxev, your idea actually makes a lot of sense, thanks!

qazbnm, can you show us your building (even if it's not based)? I always like to check out other people's works for inspiration and ideas.

I still a bit stuck in deciding what to do next with regards to the bases, so while I'm thinking, I might as well crack on with some painting. I started working on a town cryer and two more citizens. I hope to be able to show them soon.

floedebolle, thanks a lot for the link!! Wow, they are Citadel indeed! And I've spotted some more rogues on that website that I wouldn't mind getting.

Let me know when you paint yours; would love to see it.

Joao
Back to top Go down
maxxev
Ancient
Ancient
maxxev

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 29 May 2013 - 8:32

This is kind of what I mean (it's a resin kit but it shows the idea) the barrels and bench are actually part of the model, glued to the side of the kit.

Joao's Random Workshop - Page 5 Img_0469
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri 31 May 2013 - 2:04

maxxev, sorry for the late reply.

Thanks a lot for the picture. It makes it easier to get the idea. Wink
It does look really good. Is this your own take on the building and Otherworld monk miniature?

Joao
Back to top Go down
maxxev
Ancient
Ancient
maxxev

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri 31 May 2013 - 8:46

Nope that's the stock image from the guy who sells them (Dr Willets workshop), bargin price too (in the UK).

EDIT: also I think the friar is Helldorado not otherworld Smile.
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri 31 May 2013 - 11:32

Ah, yes, Dr Willets. That's right, the price is a bargain indeed!

The friar is actually Alkemy's!

Joao
Back to top Go down
theomar pius
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
theomar pius

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat 1 Jun 2013 - 23:18

I remember doing a water board years ago on foamcore, and I ended up painting both sides just to get it from curling up. I've also scored the backside of foam to keep it from peeling as well.
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 2 Jun 2013 - 10:54

JoaoS wrote:
Hey guys, thanks a lot for the extra feedback.

Chris, the whole house still needs to be painted (in fact, I still need to put roof tiles on - Theomar's style). I actually can't wait to have it over and done with so you can have a feel of how the town is going to start looking like.

DeafNala, the rogues were a recent eBay find (apparently old Citadel models, although I can't find them elsewhere on the Internet).

Joao's Random Workshop - Page 5 Rogues10

They were fun to paint. I will take some close up photos of the pair once I get the taverns painted.

maxxev, you're right; it's not as sturdy as before, even though it's not falling apart (yet!). The problem that is added to the lack of sturdiness is the current width of the base. I want it to have enough space to place the models on it, but that clearly affects the sturdiness and makes the base too flexible.

Chris, when you made this base, what did you use? Just foamboard? Was it sturdy enough?

https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t1634p75-the-free-city-of-gierburg-board-scenery#41573

Joao

I used to have those thieves! They are fron the third Compendium:

http://www.solegends.com/citc/c04thieves.htm
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
garathiel
General
General
garathiel

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 2 Jun 2013 - 13:56

Each tone is so .. Coherent.
What do you use for base color on buildings? Aerography?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/garathielpaints
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 2 Jun 2013 - 14:09

Theomar, do you still have that water board to show us?

WarbossKurgan, thanks a lot for the link! Boy, there used to be some really characterful models in the old days... I'm glad we still have eBay to rescue some of these babies. Smile

garathiel, which building are talking about? I didn't paint the one on the last picture posted by Maxxev (that one was done by Dr Willets).

As for all the buildings that I posted here, they were painted by me just using brushes and tester pots from Wilkos (£1 for 75ml - which is better than £2.50 for 12ml, from GW!!).
I always start with a very dark brown over the whole building. And then start drybrushing the wood with lighter browns. After finishing off the wood, I paint the walls and then the rest of the details.
The only parts that get drybrushed are the wood and the stonework (in some cases). The walls tend to have 2 or 3 layers of paint, from dark to lighter tones gradually. I also water down the paints so to give a smooth transition to the highlights (hope this makes sense). Smile

Joao
Back to top Go down
theomar pius
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
theomar pius

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 2 Jun 2013 - 14:20

JoaoS wrote:
Theomar, do you still have that water board to show us?

A small bit of water, but it really curled the foam.
Joao's Random Workshop - Page 5 Tumblr_mnnym9DruV1r4ni7eo1_1280
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 27 Jun 2013 - 23:16

Damn it! I'd seen your picture Jeff, but forgot to comment on it: that looks unbelievably awesome!!

How the heck did you manage to simulate the sea colour so well?!

Joao
Back to top Go down
Soulblight
General
General
Soulblight

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri 28 Jun 2013 - 18:35

Mindboggeling Theomar! Absolutely mindboggeling!
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 7 Jul 2013 - 15:41

A small update. Last year, Stu (Werekin) asked me if I could paint a Dramatis Personae character for his Marienburg campaign. A model he converted using a Necromunda miniature with other GW accessories. It took me several months to get round to actually paint it. My random ways took me to other projects - most of them unfinished, anyway - which kept this lady on the shelf, partially neglected.
Since Stu was going to need her this weekend, I rushed to have her decently painted in time for his game today. Before I delivered her to his owner, I took this quick shot of her.

Joao's Random Workshop - Page 5 Dsc_0210

I had few challenges painting her. My workstation is a complete mess, which also contains dust. This kept on landing on the model as I was painting her. The other issue was the actual scale of the detail this model has. There are some very intricate and fine parts that I kept on missing or just painting over. I'm sure I could do a much better job with time if I could go back and take a few close-up pictures to spot the missing details or minor painting glitches.
Anyway, Stu has the model now, so hopefully she can see some action in full colour in Marienburg.

And her background, in the words of Stu, also explaining the possible colour scheme, which I tried to replicate when painting her:

"The character name is Lisette Leerer. She is the enforcer for the League of Gentlemen Entrepreneur’s (aka ‘the Guild We Do Not Name’) whose headquarters are the Marienburg Gentleman’s Club (MGC) on South Dock. This is the biggest criminal organisation in the city. As well as being a member of the Guild/MGC, Ms Leerer is a hired assassin. She operates her affairs out of the Tannery, a borough of the South Dock where all of the leatherworking is done. Lisette runs a leather goods store there which is a convenient front for her other business. Hence the model is ‘leathered up’.

I’m not really a fan of black-painted models, hence I suggested leathery browns for her get up including hat, complimented with some teal, a popular colour for leather with women. She doesn’t wear a tricorn hat in any of the background material but I decided it would look roguish seeing as this is a maritime setting and she is operating her affairs on and around the docks.

She wasn’t affiliated to any military company prior to her engagements with the crime syndicate from what I know. The only background I have found for her came from old White Dwarf articles plus she pops up in one of Sandy Mitchell’s short stories also featuring the halfling detective Sam Warble."
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 7 Jul 2013 - 15:58

You did a SPLENDID job bringing the Lass to life. The browns are warm & the brushwork OUTSTANDING...the crossed daggers/short swords are an excellent touch. VERY WELL DONE! thumbsup 
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 7 Jul 2013 - 16:10

Excellent work. The Necromunda mini looks proper Renaissance/punk. Nice conversion work Stu:thumbs: thumbsup 
Back to top Go down
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Norse (Unofficial) Norse (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 8 Jul 2013 - 0:02

João has done a f*****g sensational job of illustrating my conversion. I've straightened her (purloined) rapier! The foil/blade looks bent in the picture.

What else to say. The artist has followed the specifications to the letter. The hired assassin/enforcer has attracted a lot of attentions but survived today's battle, only just, after a decidedly dicey combat against three opponents. Yes, this femme fatale takes on all comers.

My annual multi-player Birthday battle we play was ended after 2 rounds. That was a total of 17 turns played by 9 warbands!

I should write things up on the Liber Malefic blog this week while incidents are still fresh in my mind. My sea elves were crushed though so will be licking my wounds for the next few days. Sad
Back to top Go down
https://libermalefic.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Joao's Random Workshop
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next