Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Experimental Warband: Battle Wizards

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Aurelius

Aurelius

Trading Reputation : 0

Experimental Warband: Battle Wizards Empty
PostSubject: Experimental Warband: Battle Wizards   Experimental Warband: Battle Wizards Icon_minitimeFri 15 Apr 2011 - 11:51

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I didn't know where to post this as I couldn't find an experimental warband section, so please feel free to move it to wherever it's appropriate.
I put it in resources now because hopefully it will one day become a resource for Mordheim players, but that's still a long way off.

Battle Wizards (pdf)

This is an experimental warband that has yet to be tested. I tried to stick to the original rules as much as possible while still coming up with something different from the existing warbands. I've stuck with the lesser magic spells and only invented some new skills and special rules for henchmen.

The spellcasters might seem intimidating at first, but that's pretty much this warbands only strength, and keep in mind that the effectiveness of the casters is limited by the random determination of spells, the difficulty rolls and the limited range of spells like the Fireball. You'd be lucky to get two or three attack spells out of all your heroes at first. Gaining spells will increase effectiveness of your heroes, but apart from the effect of the custom skills the spells themselves won't get much more powerful.

Tell me what you think and, if you feel like it, please do test the warband out against official warbands. Thank god GW has enough models for this kind of thing.
Back to top Go down
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
folketsfiende

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Experimental Warband: Battle Wizards   Experimental Warband: Battle Wizards Icon_minitimeFri 15 Apr 2011 - 13:51

Being a fellow wizard fan I think it's a good idea to come up with such a warband. Three thoughts occurred to me while reading the pdf:

1) The ld of the apprentice should probably be 7 rather than 8. Firstly because the hero is only an apprentice, secondly because they would have better ld than other human warbands without (IMHO) enough reason.
2) The manservants shouldn't in my mind be able to become heroes. The combination of magic wielders with a close combat hero to take out any enemy who comes near enough sounds possibly unbalanced.
3) Have you checked out the Sorcerous society warband in Letters of the Damned #4? It's a fun and balanced warband based around a bunch of wizards. I've played it alot, and it's very fun!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Experimental Warband: Battle Wizards   Experimental Warband: Battle Wizards Icon_minitimeFri 15 Apr 2011 - 14:09

Interesting ideas, but you'll get more feedback in the Rules & Games Play Section....where it's now been sent. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Aurelius

Aurelius

PostSubject: Re: Experimental Warband: Battle Wizards   Experimental Warband: Battle Wizards Icon_minitimeFri 15 Apr 2011 - 14:45

Thanks for the relocation DeafNala!

@ Folketsfiende:

You're right in that the apprentice's Ld is unorthodox, but I think I went with 8 because, well, wizards are supposed to be smart, and it could be one of their perks that the apprentice can take over leadership when the master dies without any problems.
It does make sense that a manservant doesn't advance into the elite but on the other hand I think it would be too unbalanced, they're not really that good close combat heroes anyway.

Thanks for the tip on LOD#4, I had no idea that this kind of thing already existed, that's why I came up with it.
Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Experimental Warband: Battle Wizards   Experimental Warband: Battle Wizards Icon_minitimeFri 15 Apr 2011 - 16:57

I don't mean to offend, but is they any chance you can post it in a format that doesn't require a download? the internet has more corrupted things than the Northen wastes.

Also, if you want reference, Tom Bell also made a Sorcerous Society warband in Letters of the Damned #4.

http://www.redclawgaming.com/letters-of-the-damned.html
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
BalrogTheBuff

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Experimental Warband: Battle Wizards   Experimental Warband: Battle Wizards Icon_minitimeFri 15 Apr 2011 - 19:02

Reminds me of a project I did for a friend about a year ago! I'll make a new post for it though.

Mine needs polish still, hope it can be inspiring!

Here is the link to my new post
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Experimental Warband: Battle Wizards   Experimental Warband: Battle Wizards Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Experimental Warband: Battle Wizards
Page 1 of 1