Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Experimental Gnoblar warband

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Edyy
Captain
Captain
Edyy

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: none

Experimental Gnoblar warband Empty
PostSubject: Experimental Gnoblar warband   Experimental Gnoblar warband Icon_minitimeFri 20 May 2011 - 15:32

When I saw the Gnoblar army list for warhammer a few years back I fell in love with the idea of the hopeless wretches trying to form an army of their own. When I started playing Mordheim I thought it would be great to try and apply this to the Mordheim setting.
Back to top Go down
Edyy
Captain
Captain
Edyy

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Experimental Gnoblar warband   Experimental Gnoblar warband Icon_minitimeFri 20 May 2011 - 16:18

So here is my warband list:

Gnoblar warband

Choice of warriors:

A Gnoblar warband must include a minimum of three models. You have 500gc available to spend.
The maximum number of warriors in the warband may never exceed 20

Manbiter: your warband must include 1 Manbiter, no more no less!
Lucky Git: Your warband may include a single Lucky Git
Blood Gnoblars: Your warband may include up to three Blood Gnoblars
Gnoblar Fighters: Your warband may include any number of Gnoblar Fighters
Flingers: Your warband may include up to five Flingers
Gnoblar Trappers: Your warband may include up to four Gnoblar Trappers
Rhinox: Your warband may include a single Rhinox

Special rules:
Natural Born Wimps: The Gnoblars are used to being told what to do by the biggest and meanest person around be they Ogres or Chaos Dwarfs, consequently the biggest and baddest Gnoblar around will assume control of the warband. In the event of the leader dying the new leader should be a Hero that causes Fear if that is not possible or there is more than one choice then the model with the highest strength will assume command if there is a tie then the player may choose between the most eligible models.

Bicker: Gnoblars like all greenskins are very irritable and easily distracted and have been frequently known to stop in the heat of battle because they have found a creature smaller than them which they can hurt, an argument about who has the luckiest boot has broken out or they are just staring into the distance picking their nose. Because of this at the beginning of each Gnoblar turn all Gnoblars (not Rhinoxen) must roll a D6 unless they are fleeing, engaged in combat, Knocked Down, Stunned or have caught fire. On a result of 1 the Gnoblar has succumbed to temptations of nose picking and will do nothing until he tests for bickering again at the beginning of his next turn although he will snap out of it if charged and fight normally in close combat, on a 2-6 the Gnoblar has maintained his concentration and may continue the turn as normal. Heroes may ignore failed Bicker tests if they can pass a Leadership test because they are a little more driven than your average Gnoblar. Heroes can also shout at any dozy Gnoblar henchmen within 6” allowing them to ignore failed Bicker tests if the Hero can pass a Leadership test assuming that the Hero has already passed his own Bicker test (only one Hero may attempt to prevent a Gnoblar Bickering although each hero may shout at as many Gnoblars as he likes).

Cowardly: Gnoblars aren't the bravest when it comes to fighting. Some of them prefer to hide themselves in a hole, rather than to get hurt. When shooting at any Gnoblar that is behind cover the enemy gets an additional -1 to hit. This bonus is not cancelled by the trick shooter skill the enemy might posses. Gnoblars never block line of sight to other models and they don't count as cover for other models except for other Gnoblars.

Starting Experience:
A Manbiter starts with 14 experience
A Lucky Git starts with 8 experience
A Blood Gnoblars starts with 4 experience
Henchmen start with 0 experience

Gnoblar skill tables:
Manbiter may choose from the Combat, Strength*, or Speed skill lists.

Lucky Git may choose from the Combat, Shooting or Speed skill lists.

Blood Gnoblars may choose from the Shooting, Academic or Speed skill lists.

*up to 3 as detailed in the Macho special rule

Maximum characteristics

M.WS.BS.S..T..W..I..A..LD

Heroes
HtH WEAPONS

Sharp Stuff 1st free/2gc
Club 3gc
Spear 10gc
Flail* 15gc
Double Handed Weapon* 15gc
MISSILE WEAPONS
Sling** 2gc
Shot bow** 5gc
ARMOUR
Shield 5gc
Helmet 10gc
Light Armour& 20gc
MISCELLANEOUS
Gnoblar Piggyback Steed 15gc
Lucky Charm$ 10gc

*(Manbiter only)
**(Blood Gnoblar Only)
$( always common)
& (not Blood Gnoblars

Fighter
HtH WEAPONS
Sharp Stuff 1st free/2gc
Club 3gc
Spear 10gc
MISSILE WEAPONS
ARMOUR

Shield 5gc
Helmet 10gc
MISCELLANEOUS
Gnoblar Piggyback Steed 15gc

Trapper
HtH WEAPONS

Sharp Stuff 1st free/2gc
Club 3gc
MISSILE WEAPONS
Sling 2gc
ARMOUR
Shield 5gc
MISCELLANEOUS

Heroes

Manbiter
35gc
M.WS.BS....S......T..W..I..A..LD
Weapons /Armour: Sharp Stuff which may be replaced by weapons and armour chosen from the Heroes equipment list

Special rules
Leader: Any models in the warband within 6” of the Manbiter may use his Leadership instead of their own.

Macho: Manbiters gain their combat training through many years serving as hired swords all across the old world which has made them into ‘great’ warriors (in Gnoblar terms). When a Manbiter is hired they start with one strength skill or the Bulging Muscles skill from the Pit Fighters warband special skills. and they may choose strength skills or the Bulging Muscles skill when they gain a new skill although promoted henchmen cannot learn Strength skills.

Lucky git
0-1
40gc
Weapons/Armour: Sharp Stuff which may be replaced by weapons and armour chosen from the Heroes equipment list

Special rules
Lucky: gains a 6+ ‘lucky’ save against wounds caused in addition to all other saves, may re-roll any failed to hit, armour/lucky saves, characteristic tests and may re roll one die in exploration as long as he didn’t go out of action in the previous game.

Blood Gnoblar
0-3
25gc
Weapons/Armour: Sharp Stuff which may be replaced by weapons and armour chosen from the Heroes equipment list

Special rules
Cunning Traps: Blood Gnoblars are expert trappers and hunters and these skills can be put to great use in the ruins of Mordheim. A Blood Gnoblar may set a trap if he spends a turn doing nothing else (he may not set traps if he’s just recovered from being Knocked Down). Place a marker in base contact with the Blood Gnoblar. When a model, friend or foe, moves within 2" of the marker he risks setting off the trap – roll a D6. On a score of 3+ he has triggered the trap and suffers a S4 hit (note that the Blood Gnoblar won’t trigger his own traps). If the trap did not wound the model or it didn’t trigger, the ‘victim’ may finish his move otherwise he is placed Knocked Down or Stunned 2" from the marker. Regardless whether the trap was triggered or not, the marker is removed.

Henchmen

Gnoblar Fighter
0+
15gc
Weapons/Armour: Sharp Stuff which may be replaced by weapons and armour chosen from the Fighter equipment list

Flingers
0-5
15gc
Weapons/Armour: Sharp Stuff which may be replaced by weapons and armour chosen from the Trapper equipment list

Gnoblar Trapper
0-4
20gc
Weapons/Armour: Sharp Stuff which may be replaced by weapons and armour chosen from the Trapper equipment list

Rhinox
0-1
200gc
Weapons/Armour: Huge Bulk and Savage Horns

Special rules
Large target: as described in the shooting section of the Mordheim rulebook

Fear: Rhinoxen are large and dangerous cave-beasts with horns as long as a full grown man. They cause Fear

Bad tempered: Rhinoxen are well known for having the shortest temper in the known world and will charge any eligible target in the declare charges part of the movement phase (measure after all other charges have been declared) although if there are multiple eligible targets then the Gnoblar player may choose.

Animal: Rhinoxen are animals and cannot gain experience or use the leaders Leadership

Special equipment:
Sharp Stuff; free; Availability: Common (Gnoblars only)

Special Rules:
Bits and Bobs: Counts as a Dagger and throwing knives except the throwing knives are always at strength 2 and can be shot once or twice at -1 to hit for multiple shots (may shoot three not six times if given the knife fighter skill). If a second piece of sharp stuff is purchased it counts as an additional Dagger. The free piece of sharp stuff does not count towards the maximum number of close combat or missile weapons although if a second piece is purchased it would count as a close combat weapon.

Gnoblar Piggyback steed; 15gc; Availability: Rare 7 (it’s hard to find a Gnoblar gullible enough to let someone ride round on them!) (Gnoblars only)

4...2....-...2..-...-..3..1...-

Special rules
Piggyback: This is not a steed in traditional sense in fact it’s about as close to a thoroughbred Bretonnian warhorse as a pair of coconuts, it does however have some major advantages over coconuts. Just like a real steed the Gnoblar Piggyback Steed grants a 6+ armour save that can be combined with other armour and allows the rider to use the mounted rules for spears (+1S on the charge and always strike first when charged), the rider and Gnoblar Piggyback Steed count as being a single model on foot for all other purposes (climbing, hiding, ect.) although when climbing both mount and rider must test, they are never affected by the optional rules for mounted models. If the rider is taken out of action in a game then so is the Gnoblar Piggyback Steed so roll on the henchman serious injury chart after the game for the Gnoblar Piggyback Steed. If the rider dies but the Gnoblar Piggyback Steed survives then it can either be re-allocated to another warrior in the warband who can choose from the Heroes or Fighters equipment lists or added to your roster as a Gnoblar Fighter with 0 exp (either in a group that has 0 exp or as a new group) and it counts towards warband size just like a normal Gnoblar Fighter for rout tests and selling wyrdstone.

Gimme That!: Well if he’s going to get ridden around on then he should at least get to share your weapon. If the rider is using a spear then the Gnoblar Piggyback Steed can use it as well in close combat(+1s on the charge and always strike first when charged) otherwise the Gnoblar Piggyback Steed will attack as if armed with Sharp Stuff (Dagger). When taking Bicker tests you must roll once for the Gnoblar Piggyback Steed and once for the rider and both will count as failing if one fails although Heroes on a Gnoblar Piggyback Steed can still shout at their steed if it fails as explained in the Bicker rules.

Lowest of the Low: Gnoblar Piggyback Steeds are worthless even for Gnoblars so do not get a cut of the profits of the warband which means that they do not count towards warband size when determining profit for selling wyrdstone or calculating rout tests. Gnoblar Piggyback Steeds can be released from their servitude after any game, in which case treat them as if their rider had died as detailed in the Piggyback rule. Gnoblars don’t enjoy being ridden around on especially as the riders can be quite cruel to their unfortunate steeds (pulling on their ears, sticking their fingers up their nose, and other such unpleasant things) so Gnoblar warriors in your warband cannot be turned into a Gnoblar Piggyback Steed even if they were originally bought as a Gnoblar Piggyback Steed and then subsequently added to your roster as a Gnoblar Fighter.

Last edited by Edyy on Sat 21 May 2011 - 19:02; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Edyy
Captain
Captain
Edyy

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Experimental Gnoblar warband   Experimental Gnoblar warband Icon_minitimeFri 20 May 2011 - 16:19

Any comments or suggestions would be welcome Smile
Back to top Go down
Theorox
Warlord
Warlord
Theorox

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Experimental Gnoblar warband   Experimental Gnoblar warband Icon_minitimeFri 20 May 2011 - 17:19

I think they should get to keep their sharp stuff even if they buy another weapon! Makes no sense that they would throw it away even in favour of a bigger, shinier weapon! Smile The list as a whole looks awesome, and that's coming from a guy who don't much care for home-brewed rules in general!

Theo
Back to top Go down
Edyy
Captain
Captain
Edyy

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Experimental Gnoblar warband   Experimental Gnoblar warband Icon_minitimeFri 20 May 2011 - 17:35

with the sharp stuff I felt that it was a little unfair that every model in the warband can get basically throwing knives for free. If you look at the gnoblar army list for warhammer then if the units are armed with other weapons they don't have their sharp stuff (probably because they find a big pointy sword much more exciting than some rocks and broken bottles). I might change it in the future after a bit of play testing (would appreciate any feed back from other people willing to play test as my gaming group is disbanded atm).
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Experimental Gnoblar warband   Experimental Gnoblar warband Icon_minitimeFri 20 May 2011 - 20:39

Back to top Go down
Edyy
Captain
Captain
Edyy

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Experimental Gnoblar warband   Experimental Gnoblar warband Icon_minitimeFri 20 May 2011 - 21:11

thanks von kurst i will take a look at those links. Smile
Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Experimental Gnoblar warband   Experimental Gnoblar warband Icon_minitimeFri 20 May 2011 - 21:45

I agree with Theorox - the fact that they get from Throwing Knives is off-set by the fact that they are the same costs as Goblins but at -1 strength.

I recommend you also pump up the max stats a little... most Mord bands are based off of 5th Edition, when the average max stats was based on the "default" stat line.

M WS BS S T W I A LD
- +3 +3 +1 +1 +2 +3 +3 +2

Manbiter: Nice move making him the leader. Would not have thought of that, but it fits. I recommend instead of the strength value recorded as "2(3)" , make it "3* ". Because it IS 3, no shakes about it- the * just warns people of different rules. Alternatively, you can have him S2, but start with the Strength skill "Mighty blow" (meaning he effectively starts with S3 and can get to S4, but not S5.)

Oh, and welcome to the board! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
Edyy
Captain
Captain
Edyy

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Experimental Gnoblar warband   Experimental Gnoblar warband Icon_minitimeSat 21 May 2011 - 14:59

Thanks for your input Theo and StyrofoamKing it's much appreciated. I've Changed the maximum characteristics and sharp stuff as you suggested (with a little bit of clarification of how sharp stuff and knife fighter interact).

For now I've changes the Manbiters S to 3* as you suggested but your idea of giving him mighty blow was really interesting and I thought that maybe I could let the player select one strength skill when they hire the Manbiter instead what do you reckon?

Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Experimental Gnoblar warband   Experimental Gnoblar warband Icon_minitimeSat 21 May 2011 - 17:49

If so, than I suggest you add the Pit Fighter skill "Bulging Muscles" to the special skills, available to Manbiters only. It lets heroes get the +1/+2 bonus each turn with a morningstar / flails. (So, it's just as good/balanced as strongman, but keeps the flavor of the flails.) Thus, a Manbiter can learn / start with a Strength Skill / Bulging.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
Edyy
Captain
Captain
Edyy

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Experimental Gnoblar warband   Experimental Gnoblar warband Icon_minitimeSat 21 May 2011 - 19:06

Right I've got rid of the +1S and given the Manbiter access to one Strength skill or the Bulging skill upon hire and full access to Strength skills and the Bulging one as well when they gain a new skill but promoted henchmen cannot gain the strength skills.

Hopefully that's the warband sorted for now although still need to do some play testing and thanks again guys.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Experimental Gnoblar warband   Experimental Gnoblar warband Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Experimental Gnoblar warband
Page 1 of 1