Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Advice for a steadier hand?

Go down 
+2
cianty
Snyder_7
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Snyder_7
Captain
Captain
Snyder_7

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned:

Advice for a steadier hand? Empty
PostSubject: Advice for a steadier hand?   Advice for a steadier hand? Icon_minitimeMon 23 Jun 2008 - 14:59

Hey guys, it's just me. I recently delved into my basement and brought my painting supplies upstairs along with enough random bits/figures that I'd have something to paint so I could get back into the swing of things.

Much to my frustration, I can't get my right hand to stop shaking. It's been a problem since I wrecked my shoulder in wrestling a few years back...and compounding the issue is the fact that I was an astoundingly mediocre painter to begin with. Add a shaky hand into the mix and the figure I painted last night definitely needs improvement. He's not finished yet, though I'll post some pictures and ask for painting tips when he is. I know I'll certainly need all the help I can get. Smile

Do you guys have any tips/tricks for overcoming a shaky hand? As it stands now I just have to try and guess how bad my hand will shake and try to compensate for it. Neutral

(Even with the unsteady hand it was still great to be painting again!)
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a steadier hand?   Advice for a steadier hand? Icon_minitimeMon 23 Jun 2008 - 15:40

Sorry to hear that! I wish I could help you but I have no clue.

Snyder_7 wrote:
(Even with the unsteady hand it was still great to be painting again!)

That's what it's really all about, isn't it? Personal satisfaction. Maybe you could try to paint some scenery for starters.. rocks, walls and stuff. They will be more forgiving than tiny detailed miniatures and will give you a chance to learn to compensate for the shaking.
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a steadier hand?   Advice for a steadier hand? Icon_minitimeMon 23 Jun 2008 - 16:37

Hey Synder,
Try this: rest your elbows on your legs/thighs; assuming your right-handed [reverse the following otherwise, unless you like challendges Suspect ] hold the mini in your left hand, palm up; lean the heel of your right hand [with brush] against the heel of your left hand [with mini]. This will form a triangle with your forearms, & should reduce most of the shaking. Try not to tense up your arms.
Now go get 'em! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Lanyssa Ryssyll
Ancient
Ancient
Lanyssa Ryssyll

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a steadier hand?   Advice for a steadier hand? Icon_minitimeMon 23 Jun 2008 - 16:48

Perhaps you could use a "third hand" like I did in electronic few years ago? Smile
Back to top Go down
Snyder_7
Captain
Captain
Snyder_7

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a steadier hand?   Advice for a steadier hand? Icon_minitimeMon 23 Jun 2008 - 17:10

DeafNala wrote:
Hey Synder,
Try this: rest your elbows on your legs/thighs; assuming your right-handed [reverse the following otherwise, unless you like challendges Suspect ] hold the mini in your left hand, palm up; lean the heel of your right hand [with brush] against the heel of your left hand [with mini]. This will form a triangle with your forearms, & should reduce most of the shaking. Try not to tense up your arms.
Now go get 'em! thumbsup

Man, thanks for this tip! I was bracing my elbows against the table somewhat like this, but using my thighs to form a triangle works MUCH better! My hand still shakes, but it's noticeably reduced. Thanks a TON! Very Happy

cianty wrote:
That's what it's really all about, isn't it? Personal satisfaction. Maybe you could try to paint some scenery for starters.. rocks, walls and stuff. They will be more forgiving than tiny detailed miniatures and will give you a chance to learn to compensate for the shaking.

Very true. I just enjoy the painting, and I suppose getting better is a benefit that will come with enjoying what you're doing and putting a lot of time into it as a result. Also good idea about the scenery, I found some ruins from the old 3rd edition WH40k starter set that aren't painted at all, might give them a go.

Thanks for the ideas!
Back to top Go down
Exarch Thomo
Knight
Knight
Exarch Thomo

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a steadier hand?   Advice for a steadier hand? Icon_minitimeTue 24 Jun 2008 - 6:30

Another thing that might help is resting your wrist on something like a gel mousepad while you paint - it works for me. (In conjunction with elbow against something).
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a steadier hand?   Advice for a steadier hand? Icon_minitimeTue 24 Jun 2008 - 11:56

Hey Synder,
You are welcome; my pleasure to be of assistence. I showed that to a couple of guys I was teaching technique to [one had Parkinson's & the other an automobile injury]; it worked fairly well for them. thumbsup
A good side of the shakes is, until you're happy with your work, you've got a Great Excuse for little mishaps. Excuses are a valuable asset. Suspect

May the Muse of Minis smile upon your paint brushes! cheers
Back to top Go down
thatirwinfella
Captain
Captain
thatirwinfella

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a steadier hand?   Advice for a steadier hand? Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jul 2008 - 6:23

drybrushing is your friend.

if you pic your models right, no one should ever notice. armour and fur... middenheim all the way.

On a serious note, just change you style. Okay, well it sound easy, but it may take some time to get used to. Rather than do layers or whatever, try experimenting with washes. Because they do not have to be applied precisely they may be more forgiving.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a steadier hand?   Advice for a steadier hand? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Advice for a steadier hand?
Page 1 of 1