Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

New GW Buildings in November

Go down 
+13
Captain Bernhardt
Dwalthrim_Grimsson
warhammergrimace
Von Kurst
Ordo Septenarius
Svenn
widgren
Milliardo
Boreas_NL
HornedRat
cianty
DeafNala
WarbossKurgan
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
flipchuck
Elder
Elder
flipchuck

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: none

New GW Buildings in November - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New GW Buildings in November   New GW Buildings in November - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010 - 7:09

Captain Bernhardt wrote:
is it possible to build the tower with less details?
like leave some of the skulls etc. off?
Maybe but I'm sure you you have to cut off the details and therefor might damage the details.
Back to top Go down
Boreas_NL
Ancient
Ancient
Boreas_NL

Trading Reputation : 6

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: New GW Buildings in November   New GW Buildings in November - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010 - 8:49

Only if you are willing to cut them off... There are no separate details, all the skulls, shields etc. are moddeled on the tower.
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: New GW Buildings in November   New GW Buildings in November - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 8 Dec 2010 - 14:56

Did anyone buy them yet? I saw them this weekend "for real" the first time and they are a good bit larger than I had expected. The guy at the GW (didn't wear a red shirt Laughing ) told me, that the wallsection of every storey of the big tower is made of three parts, so it would be easy to "ruin" it (and make it more suitable for MH) by just leaving one wallsection-part of every storey off. Does that work?
Back to top Go down
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Norse (Unofficial) Norse (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: New GW Buildings in November   New GW Buildings in November - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 9 Dec 2010 - 0:32

Late joining the band wagon.

I popped into GW Bournemouth this week after hearing about the tower from my buddy Tom who works at the shop. I'd heard mixed reviews.

Really just posting because Boreas_NL expressed an interest and (his gaming board threads rock - have you seen them yet!!?) I can only concur with what he's already said. The tower is expensive, but it is enormous! You can deploy most of your warband on one level.

Although detachable buildings don't appeal to me as much as stoved in fgateways and breached exterior walls, this arcane architecture allows for some serious Mordheim fun. I look forward to seeing Tom Watson's fully painted (if not customised) tower making an appearance on my new Boreas-inspired gaming set-up. Wink

Regards,

Stuart.

p.s. Anyone who is minted should buy 2 of these boxed kits and stack them... why not 4 kits!? Build two towers and connect them with a canal-spanning archway.
Back to top Go down
https://libermalefic.blogspot.com/
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: New GW Buildings in November   New GW Buildings in November - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 9 Dec 2010 - 2:22

Grimscull wrote:
Did anyone buy them yet?
I bought the ruined tower. Nice piece well worth the price. The large tower is not for me.

Grimscull wrote:
The guy at the GW (didn't wear a red shirt Laughing ) told me, that the wallsection of every storey of the big tower is made of three parts, so it would be easy to "ruin" it (and make it more suitable for MH) by just leaving one wallsection-part of every storey off. Does that work?

I think that its a bit more fiddly than just leaving off one section because everything interconnects but in theory it should. (I've just looked at a friend's kit after he bought it.)
Last I heard he was still debating how to assemble it. He was leaning toward a partially ruined tower that could be swapped into an intact tower by making interchangeable top floors.

As far as I can tell the tower is useless except as table dressing for Warhammer, but we might return to EiF or an expatriot Empire wizard might have built such a tower in Araby, Sartosa or Lustria...
Back to top Go down
playtable
Ancient
Ancient
playtable

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: New GW Buildings in November   New GW Buildings in November - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 11 Dec 2010 - 4:22

Well, I bought both. (I used "points" I had built up at the local store.)
The ruined tower is super!!!

The Wizard's tower was short 1/2 of the top floor plate, I called GW and they sent me a whole new boxed up tower. Wow.
So...I built 2, one with 5 stories. (Each level takes 4 wall pieces.)
(They are the exact same parts for both kits, just fewer, for the "Ruined Tower".)
The Wizard's Tower also comes with the "boken" pieces that you don't use if you make it normal.

I built the 2nd one as a 4 story "ruined" tower. When you leave out wall pieces to make them "ruined" you can make a lot of floors with the extras. I could have made another level or 2 but I ran out of "floor" parts.
Lots of band saw, coping saw, razor knife cutting. It took about 4 days to build the 2 Wizard's Towers. I am in the process of painting them both now. Will post pictures when I'm done.
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: New GW Buildings in November   New GW Buildings in November - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 11 Dec 2010 - 12:45

Thank you playtable, that was a lot of good info. Looking forward to seeing your pictures!
Back to top Go down
playtable
Ancient
Ancient
playtable

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: New GW Buildings in November   New GW Buildings in November - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Dec 2010 - 5:20

I should put them in the finished scenery topic but since they're store bought and we have a topic on them already , here you go.
This is 2 tower sets and 1 ruined tower set.
</A>
New GW Buildings in November - Page 2 RuinedWatchtowers001

This is just the ruined tower. (All glued into one piece.)
New GW Buildings in November - Page 2 RuinedWatchtowers002</A>

</A>
The Wizard's Tower with one extra floor. (Floors not glued to each other.)
New GW Buildings in November - Page 2 RuinedWatchtowers004</A>

And the tower I made into a ruin. (All glued into one piece.)
New GW Buildings in November - Page 2 RuinedWatchtowers003</A>

New GW Buildings in November - Page 2 RuinedWatchtowers009</A>

New GW Buildings in November - Page 2 RuinedWatchtowers012</A>

I liked the bigger ruined tower so much that I stopped painting the large Wizard's Tower. I'm thinking now to make in into a ruin also. If I had done that in the begining I would have had tons of wall material left over to use for other projects. No extra base or flooring though so...I'm going to let it set for a while before I decide what to do with it.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: New GW Buildings in November   New GW Buildings in November - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Dec 2010 - 5:54

Oh boy! Great job on the ruins. I definitely want to invade Shipwreck Cove tomorrow night if the tall ruin guards the harbor. Woot!

I can also see that tall intact tower serving as a light house in Sartosa... or a wizards tower or ...

Lots of opportunity for connecting walkways. Nice. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: New GW Buildings in November   New GW Buildings in November - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Dec 2010 - 11:42

VERY, VERY NICE! Despite being "store bought" you've made them uniquely your own. You might think about including them in your Gallery thread...they won't get lost quite so easily there. VERY WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: New GW Buildings in November   New GW Buildings in November - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Dec 2010 - 13:51

Thank you for the photos, all three towers are looking great, especially, since they are not as full of little details as the 'eavy-Metal versions are. The kits are really full of potential. One tower and one ruin should satisfy most of my needs thumbsup
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: New GW Buildings in November   New GW Buildings in November - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Dec 2010 - 14:06

The middle-sized ruined tower is my favourite! I love the jungle plants - a nice tough that gives them a real sense of place in a Lustria setting (along with the choice of Amazons to accompany them!). You've done a deceptively-simple paint scheme exceptionally well.

If they had painted them like this in White Dwarf they would be looking at much higher sales figures! You've made me want a Wizards Tower now, which I didn't after seeing the WD paint jobs!

New GW Buildings in November - Page 2 665330
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
Captain Bernhardt
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Captain Bernhardt

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: New GW Buildings in November   New GW Buildings in November - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Dec 2010 - 17:48

FANTASTIC You've made standard GW buildings into a fantastic piece of scenery!!!!

I love your's so much better than GW's
like the warboss said, I wasn't convinced by these after seeing them in WD, I still wasn't after seeing them life in the GW store but now I know these are the best scenery models GW ever made, thanks to you!! Job well done Wink
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: New GW Buildings in November   New GW Buildings in November - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Dec 2010 - 17:53

Ooh, any chance of a paint-recipe for the stone work? I'd really like to paint mine in the same colours! bounce
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
playtable
Ancient
Ancient
playtable

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: New GW Buildings in November   New GW Buildings in November - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Dec 2010 - 4:05

My humble thanks to you all.

I agree that the GW paint job is over the top (and ugly!) IMO. With so many details moulded in you could do even more detail painting than GW did. But personally, I try to remember that it is just scenery to play toy soldier games with. I'm not making a museum piece.

Paint job wise, I just primed black and used the Hirst Arts earth tone 3 color sceme (link below) with heavy dark (Sepia, Black, and Burnt Umber) wash. I detailed only a very few stones in grey and dark red just to break up the color a little.
http://www.hirstarts.com/painting/painting2.html
Back to top Go down
HornedRat
Elder
Elder
HornedRat

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: New GW Buildings in November   New GW Buildings in November - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Dec 2010 - 2:27

They all look really good. The ruined ones look great. They could easily fit onto a number of different tables.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pbase.com/therat
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New GW Buildings in November   New GW Buildings in November - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New GW Buildings in November
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2