Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Dozer's buildings and scenery

Go down 
+10
sartori
Narcissus
Milliardo
Svenn
Pathfinder Dubstyles
HornedRat
Pirexian
DeafNala
mweaver
Dozer
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dozer
Warrior
Warrior
Dozer

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

Dozer's buildings and scenery Empty
PostSubject: Dozer's buildings and scenery   Dozer's buildings and scenery Icon_minitimeSat 4 Sep 2010 - 14:30

Hello folks. I have been lurking here for a while and thought I would try posting some pics of my first two buildings. This is the first pics I have ever posted on any forum so Please tell me how it looks , if it's to big or any other info. Thank you and feedback always welcome.

This burned out Inn was just painted black then drybrushed with a dark brown then grey and white . I was really suprised at how well it looks textured after it was done.

Dozer's buildings and scenery 100_2211

Dozer's buildings and scenery 100_2220

Dozer's buildings and scenery 100_2213

The texture on this house is done with the PVA toilet paper method . I think it turned out great but it was kinda a pain to work with.

Dozer's buildings and scenery 100_2218

Dozer's buildings and scenery 100_2219

Last edited by Dozer on Tue 12 Oct 2010 - 0:30; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Dozer's buildings and scenery   Dozer's buildings and scenery Icon_minitimeSat 4 Sep 2010 - 14:34

[Deleted]

Last edited by Broken1 on Thu 25 Jan 2018 - 0:04; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dozer
Warrior
Warrior
Dozer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Dozer's buildings and scenery   Dozer's buildings and scenery Icon_minitimeSat 4 Sep 2010 - 14:40

Thanks Broken1 . Going to post the other pics now . I just wanted to make sure this one got posted right , never posted pics before.
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Dozer's buildings and scenery   Dozer's buildings and scenery Icon_minitimeSat 4 Sep 2010 - 15:09

They look good!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Dozer's buildings and scenery   Dozer's buildings and scenery Icon_minitimeSat 4 Sep 2010 - 15:33

EXCELLENT WORK! I LOVE the arched doorway in the top building.VERY COOL LOOKING...& I thought you were just into Death Squad. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Dozer
Warrior
Warrior
Dozer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Dozer's buildings and scenery   Dozer's buildings and scenery Icon_minitimeSat 4 Sep 2010 - 15:52

DeafNala wrote:
EXCELLENT WORK! I LOVE the arched doorway in the top building.VERY COOL LOOKING...& I thought you were just into Death Squad. thumbsup

Thanks. I wanted something a little different since it's supposed to be a burned out inn so I used a Hirst Arts door and cut the frame to match. It was kind of an after thought , next time I will cut the opening in the wall big enough for the frame to continue to the inside
Back to top Go down
Pirexian
Elder
Elder
Pirexian

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers

PostSubject: Re: Dozer's buildings and scenery   Dozer's buildings and scenery Icon_minitimeSat 4 Sep 2010 - 16:14

Very nice mate, would be nice to see some more of your work, a gaming board maybe?
Back to top Go down
HornedRat
Elder
Elder
HornedRat

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Dozer's buildings and scenery   Dozer's buildings and scenery Icon_minitimeSat 4 Sep 2010 - 19:31

Very nice looking building. I really like how the interrior flors came out.

The door is also a nice touch, gives the building just enough extra character.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pbase.com/therat
Dozer
Warrior
Warrior
Dozer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Dozer's buildings and scenery   Dozer's buildings and scenery Icon_minitimeSat 4 Sep 2010 - 22:11

Here are some WIP pics of a pool I started. I have seen a pool with a body floating in it , can't remember if it was here or somewhere else , and thought it was a great idea for scenery.

It is made of old Hirst Arts blocks I had torn apart from a failed dungeon project. I didn't read Bruce's tutorial on pouring plaster in the middle of a project like this and wish I had. I didn't wet it down before pouring and it hardened up quickly. That is why there is PVA glue in the corners to fill the voids there.

I hope it turns out good , this is my first attempt at useing Woodland Scenics realistic water product or any water product for that matter.

Dozer's buildings and scenery 100_2224

Dozer's buildings and scenery 100_2225

Dozer's buildings and scenery 100_2226
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Dozer's buildings and scenery   Dozer's buildings and scenery Icon_minitimeSat 4 Sep 2010 - 23:01

These do look good!

Could you explain this toilet paper texturing method a little more?
Back to top Go down
Dozer
Warrior
Warrior
Dozer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Dozer's buildings and scenery   Dozer's buildings and scenery Icon_minitimeSat 4 Sep 2010 - 23:17

Pathfinder Dubstyles wrote:
These do look good!

Could you explain this toilet paper texturing method a little more?

I first saw it used on this site http://www.miniwargaming.com/ for a meteor blast terrain piece where they waded TP up and soaked it with watered down glue to make "humped up" earth.
Basically I painted the walls with watered down PVA glue then layed torn sheets of TP over that and smoothed it somewhat with an old paint brush. It makes a very nice wrinkled old plaster look.
Back to top Go down
Svenn
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Svenn

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Dozer's buildings and scenery   Dozer's buildings and scenery Icon_minitimeSun 5 Sep 2010 - 3:48

I love the houses! Very nice paint jobs. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.tabletopgeeks.com
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Dozer's buildings and scenery   Dozer's buildings and scenery Icon_minitimeSun 5 Sep 2010 - 4:34

PRETTY COOL POOL...looks like the lifeguard had the day off! A VERY Mordheimy piece! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Milliardo
General
General
Milliardo

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Shadow Warriors (Unofficial) Shadow Warriors (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Dozer's buildings and scenery   Dozer's buildings and scenery Icon_minitimeSun 5 Sep 2010 - 7:27

On Woodland Scenics water products... the best advice I can give is to be extremely patient and follow the instructions to the letter. Resist the urge to pour in lots all at once. Pour 1/8th" at a time. Let it dry someplace where there isn't a lot of free-floating dust. Let it dry at least 24 hours in between each thin layer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ulthuan.net/
Dozer
Warrior
Warrior
Dozer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Dozer's buildings and scenery   Dozer's buildings and scenery Icon_minitimeTue 7 Sep 2010 - 14:54

Well here is the finished pool. It turned out ok but not like I thought it would. It looks good from a bit of a distance but up close it doesn't look natural enough for me.

I'm going to do some test pieces this coming weekend , which I should have done before jumping in head first , and see if I can come up with a different way to get the effect I'm looking for.

Dozer's buildings and scenery 100_2229

Dozer's buildings and scenery 100_2230

Dozer's buildings and scenery 100_2231
Back to top Go down
Narcissus
Knight
Knight
Narcissus

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Dozer's buildings and scenery   Dozer's buildings and scenery Icon_minitimeTue 7 Sep 2010 - 21:00

I really like the body floating in the pool. A bit grotesque but very in character. I might have to try something similar with a fountain in the future... So many things to do!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Dozer's buildings and scenery   Dozer's buildings and scenery Icon_minitimeTue 7 Sep 2010 - 21:23

LOOKIN' GOOD! A nice, slimy water effect. WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Narcissus
Knight
Knight
Narcissus

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Dozer's buildings and scenery   Dozer's buildings and scenery Icon_minitimeWed 8 Sep 2010 - 4:43

I really love the fountain. I started building one myself today I was so excited by yours! I built it quite differently though. I'll post it in another thread when I am finished. Thanks for the inspiration!
Back to top Go down
Dozer
Warrior
Warrior
Dozer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Dozer's buildings and scenery   Dozer's buildings and scenery Icon_minitimeSat 9 Oct 2010 - 19:24

I thought I would post an update of what I am sloooowly working on now. I decided to start makeing some game board pieces so I can get more of an idea of how I will design the rest of my buildings.

On the hill top I am going to make a grave yard piece and a ruined house so I can swap them out for variety. As an after thought I am also going to cut an area out of the hill to build a catacomb beneath whichever is set up on top. Painting the river section and getting it to look realistic is going to be my biggest challenge. If anyone has any suggestions , links or tutorials that can help please let me know.

The sections are 2'x2' and I still have 4 more sections to use. I am thinking of useing 2 as river sections and 2 as raised sections , probably 3 inches taller than the " standard " pieces which are just half inch foam.

Dozer's buildings and scenery 100_2232

Dozer's buildings and scenery 100_2233

Dozer's buildings and scenery 100_2234
Back to top Go down
sartori
General
General
sartori

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Dozer's buildings and scenery   Dozer's buildings and scenery Icon_minitimeSat 9 Oct 2010 - 19:35

Dozer I think the fountain looks great. The only thing I could add is maybe some ripples around the body using Water Effects. I like how the 2 x 2 sections are turning out.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Dozer's buildings and scenery   Dozer's buildings and scenery Icon_minitimeTue 12 Oct 2010 - 15:18

VERY NICE! I LOVE the staircase/bridge leading up the hill...the Gothic style would lend itself to your Death Squad games also. I'm working on Geo-Hex tiles at the moment, SO...I can appreciate the "SLOWLY" part of the equation. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Dozer
Warrior
Warrior
Dozer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Dozer's buildings and scenery   Dozer's buildings and scenery Icon_minitimeSat 16 Oct 2010 - 22:02

Here are some progress shots of the game board. I used spray adhesive for the flocking so I could control where it went and it worked out pretty good. I wasn't crazy about the shade of green at first but after spraying a section with a matte clear coat it darkened and dulled down. The dirt also looks better after the matte finish. I only had enough in the can to do 1 section so I didn't bother takeing a picture of it yet.

Next will be getting the bridge painted and some rocks and water in the river bed.

Dozer's buildings and scenery 100_2310

Dozer's buildings and scenery 100_2311

Dozer's buildings and scenery 100_2312

Dozer's buildings and scenery 100_2313
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Dozer's buildings and scenery   Dozer's buildings and scenery Icon_minitimeMon 18 Oct 2010 - 12:29

VERY NICE PROGRESS! Even at this stage, I can see Bands of Warriors & other miscreants wander over it...of course at this time of day I see a lot of things that aren't really there Suspect . The colors are nicely subdued. Keep up the GOOD WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Svenn
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Svenn

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Dozer's buildings and scenery   Dozer's buildings and scenery Icon_minitimeMon 18 Oct 2010 - 15:04

Looking good! I like the steps/bridge.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tabletopgeeks.com
Dozer
Warrior
Warrior
Dozer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Dozer's buildings and scenery   Dozer's buildings and scenery Icon_minitimeTue 19 Oct 2010 - 0:36

Thanks very much for the comments, it is greatly appreciated. Hopefully I can find the time this weekend to finish the bridge and the water effect.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dozer's buildings and scenery   Dozer's buildings and scenery Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dozer's buildings and scenery
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next