Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Stripping paint from pewter models

Go down 
+4
hero
DeafNala
catferret
Joker2and53
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Joker2and53
Warlord
Warlord
Joker2and53

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers
Achievements earned: none

Stripping paint from pewter models Empty
PostSubject: Stripping paint from pewter models   Stripping paint from pewter models Icon_minitimeThu 12 Nov 2009 - 13:07

I recently inherited several not so greatly painted Sisters of Sigmar (the originals, not the recasts) from a friend of mine, but they are very much in need of having the paint stripped off them so that they can be repainted. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to strip the paint and ink (I am pretty sure both are GW products) off of pewter GW models? The search function on this forum turned up nothing, so I thought a thread on stripping paint might come in very handy to other forumites as well.

Thanks,
Eric
Back to top Go down
catferret
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
catferret

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Stripping paint from pewter models   Stripping paint from pewter models Icon_minitimeThu 12 Nov 2009 - 13:22

I use Fairy Power Spray (oven cleaner). Soak a model in it overnight then scrub witha toothbrush. Works on metal, plastic and resin models. Plastic models sometimes need a second soak and scrub. Be careful when scrubbing the resin ones as they often have lots of small fragile components.
Back to top Go down
Joker2and53
Warlord
Warlord
Joker2and53

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Stripping paint from pewter models   Stripping paint from pewter models Icon_minitimeThu 12 Nov 2009 - 13:34

catferret wrote:
I use Fairy Power Spray (oven cleaner). Soak a model in it overnight then scrub witha toothbrush. Works on metal, plastic and resin models. Plastic models sometimes need a second soak and scrub. Be careful when scrubbing the resin ones as they often have lots of small fragile components.

Thanks for the quick reply catferret! I have never heard of that material before. I guess I should add, I need to be able to purchase this product in the United States, specifically North Florida. Any idea if I can get Fairy Power Spray over here?
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Stripping paint from pewter models   Stripping paint from pewter models Icon_minitimeThu 12 Nov 2009 - 13:53

I think over here it's called Easy Off. I just soak the minis in ammonia & scrub...gently with the resins as Cat pointed out. I'll have to try the oven cleaner now though. Stripping paint from pewter models Suspect
Back to top Go down
catferret
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
catferret

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Stripping paint from pewter models   Stripping paint from pewter models Icon_minitimeThu 12 Nov 2009 - 14:26

Joker2and53 wrote:
catferret wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply catferret! I have never heard of that material before. I guess I should add, I need to be able to purchase this product in the United States, specifically North Florida. Any idea if I can get Fairy Power Spray over here?

Ah, I should have checked your location. Stripping paint from pewter models Icon_rolleyes

In that case use Simple Green. It's hard to find in the UK but it's apparently really common in the States. Can be used on any of the materials used in model making without damaging them. I've not used it but it's the most commonly recommended product for paint stripping on other forums.

Another option is dot4 brake fluid. It has disposal issues however. You can't pour it down the drain, it must be taken to a garage or proper disposal site.
Back to top Go down
Joker2and53
Warlord
Warlord
Joker2and53

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Stripping paint from pewter models   Stripping paint from pewter models Icon_minitimeThu 12 Nov 2009 - 18:00

Actually, I found a really great article I thought I would share with you guys pertaining to stipping models. For anyone looking to strip the paint off old models, click here.
Back to top Go down
hero
Elder
Elder

PostSubject: Re: Stripping paint from pewter models   Stripping paint from pewter models Icon_minitimeThu 12 Nov 2009 - 18:14

Huh, I always thought brake fluid would wreck plastics, but that article says otherwise. Interesting!
Back to top Go down
Koyote
Knight
Knight
Koyote

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Stripping paint from pewter models   Stripping paint from pewter models Icon_minitimeThu 12 Nov 2009 - 18:19

Simple Green works great and will not harm plastic models. As an added benefit it is non-toxic and biodegradable. Put the models in a container of simple green and let it soak overnight. Then scrub with a toothbrush under the cold water tap. Repeat if necessary.

http://www.simplegreen.com/
Back to top Go down
Nico
Youngblood
Youngblood
Nico

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Stripping paint from pewter models   Stripping paint from pewter models Icon_minitimeSat 14 Nov 2009 - 11:18

Hi!

I used lantern petrol - this liquid that burns quickly - on my metal models.. Time and effort are needed, but it worked good. I let my minis some weeks in it and rubbed with an old brush. I think it could work on plastic models, as my plastic bases were still there after all the time spending in that liquid.
Back to top Go down
pascal the rascal
Ancient
Ancient
pascal the rascal

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Stripping paint from pewter models   Stripping paint from pewter models Icon_minitimeSat 14 Nov 2009 - 11:44

hi

I don't live in the US, but have been looking for methods a while ago.
Simple Green came out best (of all the articles I found)

Personnaly I use Dettol, which is a desinfectant over here. Smells not so good, but had great results both on plastic and metal mini's. Haven't tried it on pewter metal though.

cheers
Back to top Go down
JAFisher44
General
General
JAFisher44

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Stripping paint from pewter models   Stripping paint from pewter models Icon_minitimeSat 14 Nov 2009 - 11:54

Simple green is safe, easy, and effective.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stripping paint from pewter models   Stripping paint from pewter models Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stripping paint from pewter models
Page 1 of 1