Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Metallic Red Paint.

Go down 
+3
Eliazar
folketsfiende
Nastyogre
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Nastyogre
Veteran
Veteran
Nastyogre

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers
Achievements earned: none

Metallic Red Paint. Empty
PostSubject: Metallic Red Paint.   Metallic Red Paint. Icon_minitimeFri 23 Jul 2010 - 23:40

I'm looking for a good metallic Red paint. I know Red paints are almost always a problem. Poor coverage etc.

Anybody got any suggestions. I have some old GW colored metallics, Blue, Green & Purple. They are wonderful, but I don't think GW ever made a metallic red. It would probably be bad anyway. Their Blood red from those days is awful.

Anybody have any experience with a good metallic red?

I know theoretically I could take a pure silver and it into a red and get a metallic red. Has anybody tried that? Or With another poor coverage color like yellow or orange?

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
folketsfiende

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Metallic Red Paint.   Metallic Red Paint. Icon_minitimeFri 23 Jul 2010 - 23:57

Have tried mixing blood red into boltgun metal - was too dark, but if you use a lighter silverlike paint it might work. I suggest a ratio of 3 parts red and 1 part silver. Should cover well enough.
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Metallic Red Paint.   Metallic Red Paint. Icon_minitimeSat 24 Jul 2010 - 0:14

I suppose Mithril Silver would be the best option for mixing - in fact, I think I read somewhere that Mithril Silver is the base colour for all the other metals as well.
Back to top Go down
Nastyogre
Veteran
Veteran
Nastyogre

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers

PostSubject: Re: Metallic Red Paint.   Metallic Red Paint. Icon_minitimeSat 24 Jul 2010 - 0:19

Yes Mithril Silver is supposedly pure metallic "pigment" in the paint medium.

Boltgun metal is black with the metallic pigment and I wouldn't want something that dark to start. I'd rather shade and wash it to darken things.
Back to top Go down
cjp
Knight
Knight
cjp

PostSubject: Re: Metallic Red Paint.   Metallic Red Paint. Icon_minitimeSat 24 Jul 2010 - 2:24

If you want actual pure metallic acrylc, get Vallejo Metallic Medium. If you're worried about killing the metallic shine , then I would reccomend using something thin in your mix, and as transparent as possible: something like Red Ink, Vallejo Transparent Red, or Tamiya Clear Red would probably do very well. Depending on the look you want in the end you could actually use the ink/glaze/wash as intended, rather than pre-mixing. Paint your piece like normal with a dark metal base, highlight with bright metals, then wash slowly with red inks or glazes. It may be a different effect, but it might be different in a cool way. Smile
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Metallic Red Paint.   Metallic Red Paint. Icon_minitimeSat 24 Jul 2010 - 2:51

For a Metallic Red I've gotten reasonably good results mixing red paint with a bright gold then doing a light highlight with the gold & a wash with red ink. I got the idea for the gold from a friend who was restoring her Harley: Candy Apple Red is a base coat of Gold Metallic & successive layers of Red Lacquer. Metallic Red Paint. Fresse
Back to top Go down
HornedRat
Elder
Elder
HornedRat

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Metallic Red Paint.   Metallic Red Paint. Icon_minitimeWed 11 Aug 2010 - 20:09

Try looking at some various Airbrush paints Vallejo makes a good line.

Also you could try mixing in various artists inks to your metal base. Awesomepaintjob.com has a great section with a how-to video in regards to making washes (Also has some nice painting vids on youtube ..but they are mostly 40k) you could apply the same technique but add metallic into the mix.

I have made and use his washes, and they work great. I have since taken to mixing my own various colors and shades now. Check it out.

http://www.awesomepaintjob.com/Les__Wash_Recipe.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.pbase.com/therat
Rudeboy
Elder
Elder
Rudeboy

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Restless Dead (BTB) Restless Dead (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Metallic Red Paint.   Metallic Red Paint. Icon_minitimeWed 11 Aug 2010 - 21:42

Yeah I would go with Red and Silver Mix. You want to make sure you have enough red or you will get metallic pink.

The other thing to try would be the Silver then a thin coat of red, with a thinned-out red or a wash/ink. Or you could try red with a thin coat of the metallic silver.

I remember several years ago (like 15 to 20 years ago) when I painted a model car they had some sweet metallic cherry reds. You might want to look at model car paints.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metallic Red Paint.   Metallic Red Paint. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metallic Red Paint.
Page 1 of 1