Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

My Mordheim Board in Progress...

Go down 
+5
Da Bank
cianty
DeafNala
Ash
eternaldream
9 posters
AuthorMessage
eternaldream
Hero
Hero
eternaldream

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

My Mordheim Board in Progress... Empty
PostSubject: My Mordheim Board in Progress...   My Mordheim Board in Progress... Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009 - 2:19

So, I've started on the board for Mordheim. I need to get more supplies for buildings, so I figure I'd work on that in the meantime. This is only a 2'x2' section. I plan to have 3 more of them together for now. All the scenarios in the book say 4'x4' is the ideal size. Would you recommend going 4'x6' like a regular Warhammer table? Anyway, here it is:

My Mordheim Board in Progress... Mordboardprev

I used pink insulation foam, and just carved the textures into it. The road took me for freaking ever to do. I was literally there for an hour at a time with a pen, just poking holes. For the cracks, I actually just hit it with a hammer. The foam will crack to give it a nice textures. Then I sprinkled sand over the whole thing. I tried to make the board as flat as possible, that way my buildings won't look like they're crooked. So I tried to balance out the craters by putting crap inside them. For most I used broken wood chips, and for some I even hid skeletons from the Warhammer kits.

That's the best picture I could take now. The lighting is crap, and my camera was about to die. So anyway, I'll be working on the other 3 sections now. I would like to do a river section, but I'm afraid to work with resin right now, so I'm sticking to just more land ones. I don't know if I want to do any more roads though. That was the most tedious part.

If you want to see WIP photos, I can try to get some when I do the others. I can only hope I can find some people to play with. If I build it... they will come.... hopefully. XD
Back to top Go down
Ash
General
General
Ash

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim Board in Progress...   My Mordheim Board in Progress... Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009 - 2:48

Nice, I'd love to see a close up of the road seeing as you put so much work into it! I would not recommend a 4'x6' table for mordheim. It's just way to big for skirmish level games. Plus it would require much more terrain...
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim Board in Progress...   My Mordheim Board in Progress... Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009 - 8:46

LOOKIN' GOOD! Although it's difficult to tell from the photo, the paving stones look TERRIFIC...well worth the tedium. In my misspent youth my after-school & Summer jobs were mostly factory work; the mind numbing repetitious nature of which prepared me for the mind numbing repetitious nature of doing the THOUSANDS of paving stones necessary for a proper Mordheim gaming table. I REALLY like your choice of colors. VERY WELL DONE! My Mordheim Board in Progress... 544694

Using the 2'X2' sections gives you the freedom to make the table as large or small as you wish. 4'X4' is the recommended size for a two player game with 4'X6' the size for a multiplayer game. The initial "commission" boards I did were set up as 4 2'X4' sections to be used as either 2 4'X4' tables of a single table up to 4'X8'. I've since made two more sections to allow either a third table or a 6'X8' Mega table. SO...size depends on how NUTS you want to go with the Beasty. My Mordheim Board in Progress... Suspect

BTW the tables the board I made are places upon are stained & gloss coated for a water effect. Leaving gaps or leaving off sections allows for canals, rivers, harbor areas.
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim Board in Progress...   My Mordheim Board in Progress... Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009 - 9:48

Looks good! (From up here Wink )

And yes, 4' x 4' is definately enough for skirmish games. Unless you play with 6 or so warbands. I think even for 3 or 4 players, 4' x 4' is enough. And it's hard enough to properly fill that table with scenery. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
eternaldream
Hero
Hero
eternaldream

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim Board in Progress...   My Mordheim Board in Progress... Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009 - 10:26

Okay, thanks for all the comments. Once my camera charges I'll get a bunch of close up pictures for everyone. Stay tuned.
Back to top Go down
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim Board in Progress...   My Mordheim Board in Progress... Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009 - 11:02

Nice
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim Board in Progress...   My Mordheim Board in Progress... Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009 - 18:56

4x4 is all you need, but 6 sections would allow you to add some variety to your games by making perhaps a harbor section or an area of higher ground.
Back to top Go down
Jadex
Veteran
Veteran
Jadex

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim Board in Progress...   My Mordheim Board in Progress... Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009 - 19:17

Nice! : )

@DeafNala: Do you have a link where we can find pictures of your gaming table/board? : )
Back to top Go down
Drugart
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Drugart

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim Board in Progress...   My Mordheim Board in Progress... Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009 - 19:28

Looking good so far from the aerial view. Ready to see more up close ones!
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim Board in Progress...   My Mordheim Board in Progress... Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009 - 20:02

Drugart wrote:
Ready to see more up close ones!

He he. Yeah, me ready too! bounce
Back to top Go down
eternaldream
Hero
Hero
eternaldream

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim Board in Progress...   My Mordheim Board in Progress... Icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009 - 0:07

You asked for it, so here you go. Took a few more pics to show you the road, and the texture. You can also see little details like a skeleton in the cracks.

My Mordheim Board in Progress... 103001
My Mordheim Board in Progress... 103002
My Mordheim Board in Progress... 103003
My Mordheim Board in Progress... 103004
My Mordheim Board in Progress... 103005
Back to top Go down
Drugart
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Drugart

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim Board in Progress...   My Mordheim Board in Progress... Icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009 - 4:02

Very, very nice indeed!
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim Board in Progress...   My Mordheim Board in Progress... Icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009 - 8:44

The texture looks great! Seriously great! And the skeleton is a nice tough (not like the tons of skulls on the GW battle boards - this one is cool). Very atmospheric. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Ash
General
General
Ash

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim Board in Progress...   My Mordheim Board in Progress... Icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009 - 20:38

Wow nice job! And everything Cianty said Wink
Back to top Go down
Duce
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
Duce

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim Board in Progress...   My Mordheim Board in Progress... Icon_minitimeMon 26 Oct 2009 - 14:51

Depending how motivated you are and how many friends play, making 8 tiles might be profitable if you can keep your interest going to finish them. means 2 4x4 tables or a 6x4 and some variety in tiles used.

I've commonly made scenery for my 4x6 moat table. need to make 4 more non canals sections so i can play without them if needs be.

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim Board in Progress...   My Mordheim Board in Progress... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Mordheim Board in Progress...
Page 1 of 1