Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Replacing the starting dagger

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Major Sharpe
Champion
Champion
Major Sharpe

Trading Reputation : 0

Replacing the starting dagger Empty
PostSubject: Replacing the starting dagger   Replacing the starting dagger Icon_minitimeSun 21 Sep 2014 - 2:00

It's always been my understanding that any model may carry 2 close combat weapons, 2 ranged weapons, and one free starting dagger. This is an important rule to understand because, for example, it allows a Swordsman to decide (prior to entering combat) whether to use a sword/shield or sword/dagger combination.

So my question is this: can the free starting dagger be replaced with a Gomril or Ithimar dagger?

The implications:

Gomril daggers are an excellent value. For only 8 Gold you're getting +1S which for a S3 model automatically cancels out the 6+ "dagger-save" an opponent would normally get. While Rare 11 makes it difficult to find (roughly an 8% chance), it's pretty common for a warband to have turns where it has rare rolls to spare. This would permit loadouts like 2-Handed Sword/sword/gomril dagger, which would give the model very versatile options in combat.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the starting dagger   Replacing the starting dagger Icon_minitimeSun 21 Sep 2014 - 3:05

I'm assuming you mean that you are getting 'the equivalent of +1S'?

Mordheim Rule book, p. 27 wrote:
A gromril weapon has an extra -1 save modifier, and costs four times the price of a normal weapon of its kind. You may choose which type of hand-to-hand weapon is offered to you as explained in the Trading section.

Upgrading or replacing the free dagger is a common house rule.
Back to top Go down
Aipha
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Aipha

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the starting dagger   Replacing the starting dagger Icon_minitimeSun 21 Sep 2014 - 11:30

Von Kurst wrote:
Upgrading or replacing the free dagger is a common house rule.

Yes, we have that as well, and it works mighty fine. I still think though, that in the case of Swordmen, a Sword is better still, but for most other, without a Sword re-roll parry house rule, the Gromril Dagger is a great asset, since it allows you to still carry two extra weapons. I'm already considering it on my Saurus now, thank you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the starting dagger   Replacing the starting dagger Icon_minitimeSun 21 Sep 2014 - 16:04

In my group we allow the upgrading of the free dagger. Ithilmar/Gromril/Black Iron daggers/stilettos/poignards/roundels.

Count Ventilia's Meriscordia is particularly prized for this purpose.
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the starting dagger   Replacing the starting dagger Icon_minitimeMon 22 Sep 2014 - 5:09

Same here. But it is important to note that a gromril weapon does not give +1 Strength, but reduces the opponent's armor save. +1 Strength would do the same, but would also reduce the number you needed to wound a model you have hit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the starting dagger   Replacing the starting dagger Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Replacing the starting dagger
Page 1 of 1