Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P.

Go down 
+13
catachanfrog
Lord of Lustria
Mo!
maxxev
cianty
HumanFly
Spectre76
floedebolle
DeafNala
drakkol
Von Kurst
Radical_Edward
Aureus
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Aureus
Veteran
Veteran
Aureus

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P.   Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Icon_minitimeTue 25 Sep 2012 - 1:42

Short intro:
I've been posting for quite some time on this Orc Shaman sleeping forum, but I newer showed any of my own works. For past two years I've been slowly assembling an orc warband. At first they were supposed to be assembled from bits and led into battle by Grimgor and some black orcs, but after some lurking I decided to make something more unique. Problem is, I never did any conversions before, so my progress with completing the warband was hindered by numerous "experiments" with bits and greenstuff. Overall, I am quite satisfied with my works, though, each miniature reflects my skill level at the time the miniature was done - which gradually changed. Now I must fight off the urge to redo all of my older minis in order to achieve more homogeneous effect Mad

Warband Idea:
The warband wass initially supposed to be mix between Rugluds armored orcs and "bretonnian" orcs-at-arms. Man, do I love the idea of heavily armored troops! Additionally I don't like the "orky" weapons - big slabs of steel looking as if a mere boy's choppa weights at least 50kg - that should instantly kill any man with one blow, really. I figured that orcs plundering Mordheim would arm themselves with whatever they manage to loot from their defeated enemies. To sum things up - I aimed for armor clad orcs with looted 'umie weapons.

Now most of my warband-to-be is ready, they all need some bases and painting of course. Here goes nothing - enjoy!
Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. 665330

Here are some gobbos. Only three for now, I need to make some archers and a fanatic.
Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Gobbos11

Da boyz. The one with zweihander is an LGT boy - nothing more heroic than weapon raised high, wind in the hair and a roar of victory Smile those legs may appear weird now, but on a proper base he should look nice.
Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Boyz_b10
Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Boyz2_12

Arrer boyz. Because crossbows are da best! Need to do one more guy, though.
Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Arrer_10
Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Arrer210

My first Nob. He was also my first "completed" mini. Holy gork, I made him about a year ago or so.
Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Nob_1_10

My other Nob. One of my latest additions to the warband.
Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Nob2_b10

Shaman. I am thinking about naming him "Wazzap", mainly due to the fact I roll "zzap" spell really often (and I like scary movie Very Happy ).
Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Shaman10
Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Shaman11

Finally, the Boss. I made him when I wanted to try some more "serious" conversions. Recently rearmed with a brand new sword and some accessories mighty Kronk is ready for battle!
Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Boss1_11
Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Boss2_10

For desserts: squig. My first mini that I made only with greenstuff and some wire. I will need to slightly redo him, though, upon completion I realized that I made an itty bitty mistake while sculpting him. Well, happens.
Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Squig_10

Thats it for now. Plans for the future: remaining four squigs (I have two more on the go right now), one more boy, one more arrer boy, Troll, some gobbos of all sorts and all three official orky mercs. I like to have plenty to choose from - lucky me that I am rather a patient sort of a guy Smile
Back to top Go down
Radical_Edward
Warrior
Warrior
Radical_Edward

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P.   Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Icon_minitimeTue 25 Sep 2012 - 2:58

Your green stuff work puts some professional sculptors to shame man! Would love to see this stuff finished up and painted, looks great so far!
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P.   Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Icon_minitimeTue 25 Sep 2012 - 3:40

Excellent green stuff work! Great looking warband and a WONDERFUL Squig!
Back to top Go down
drakkol
Ancient
Ancient
drakkol

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P.   Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Icon_minitimeTue 25 Sep 2012 - 9:31

Very well done! But... IMHO...those chainmails are not at the same level of other details...that's a pity.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Drakkols-workshop/294017540629240
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P.   Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Icon_minitimeTue 25 Sep 2012 - 14:08

OH BABY! Your Lads in Green aren't so much conversions as a complete metamorphosis. As a Goblin Guy, unsurprisingly the Goblins & Squig are my favorites in the Group. Keep up the SPLENDID WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P.   Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Icon_minitimeTue 25 Sep 2012 - 14:16

Holy crap! Your greenstuffwork is totaly insane, love it!
Looking forward to see those minis painted, just great!

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
Aureus
Veteran
Veteran
Aureus

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P.   Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Icon_minitimeTue 25 Sep 2012 - 16:40

Thanks for the comments!

Now I am really motivated Very Happy
I'll keep posting my minis from this point on.

About chainmails - It saddens me to admit it, but secret of making cool chainmails eludes me Crying or Very sad . Especially considering the fact, that chainmail is my favorite type of armor (who needs them full-plates, anyway?). IMO a perfect chaimail would look something like this:

Warning, those are NOT my works:
Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Orc_ve10
I've found those guys somewhere on this forum, though I cannot recall their creator and give him due credit. Anyway, those orcs have most awesome chainmails I have ever seen (other details are very cool too, but I am far too busy drooling over chainmails). Not to mention, the retro pig-man-orc style Smile

If any of you guys knows of a tutorial to do somethig similar, I would be very grateful!

Again, thanks for comments!
Back to top Go down
drakkol
Ancient
Ancient
drakkol

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P.   Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Icon_minitimeTue 25 Sep 2012 - 17:09

If you want to learn...it's a simple secret...give me some time to make a proper image.

This is what i'm doing at the moment:
Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. 250273_468905259807133_1423428880_n

Yo have to work in lines...using a small pointed tool ...sticking it into gs and then dragging it a bit,hole after hole, doing something like this:
CCCCCCCCCCCCC
from left to right and, the line under it, same thing but from right to left, then third line left->right, fourth right->left...

You'll hade something similar to:

CCCCCCCCCCCC
DDDDDDDDDDDD
CCCCCCCCCCCC
DDDDDDDDDDDD

Hope i'm been able to help.
Back to top Go down
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Spectre76

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P.   Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Icon_minitimeTue 25 Sep 2012 - 18:11

To quote Darth Vader: "Impressive, most impressive" Kronk in particular is going to look absolutely AMAZING once he's finished! Very nicely done indeed!
Back to top Go down
http://www.thetonezone.net
Aureus
Veteran
Veteran
Aureus

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P.   Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed 26 Sep 2012 - 0:49

drakkol wrote:
If you want to learn...it's a simple secret...give me some time to make a proper image.

Yo have to work in lines...using a small pointed tool ...sticking it into gs and then dragging it a bit,hole after hole, doing something like this:
CCCCCCCCCCCCC
from left to right and, the line under it, same thing but from right to left, then third line left->right, fourth right->left...

You'll hade something similar to:

CCCCCCCCCCCC
DDDDDDDDDDDD
CCCCCCCCCCCC
DDDDDDDDDDDD

Hope i'm been able to help.

Thanks! I'll try it on my remaining arrer boy. I do recall doing something similar, only with the back of a needle. Didn't turn out very well, but this time I'll get it right Smile

Hmm, I must admit, that is some very nice dwarf sculpt - can't wait to see that one finished bounce
Back to top Go down
HumanFly
Veteran
Veteran
HumanFly

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Carnival of Chaos (EIF) Carnival of Chaos (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P.   Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed 26 Sep 2012 - 12:23

Oh great work one of the most carachterful orc warband i've seen!
looking forward for more!Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P.   Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed 26 Sep 2012 - 17:07

I LOVE the orc with the mail-coif and morningstar, seriously one of the coolest minis I've seen! Looking forward to seeing some paintjobs on these ladz thumbsup
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P.   Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed 26 Sep 2012 - 19:27

Lovely conversions! So full of character. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
drakkol
Ancient
Ancient
drakkol

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P.   Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed 26 Sep 2012 - 22:51

Thanks Aureus, you're kind...but let's come back in topic...your models! I'm very curious to see your next model with chainmail!
Back to top Go down
maxxev
Ancient
Ancient
maxxev

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P.   Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed 26 Sep 2012 - 23:12

Excellent work I really love the guy with the tiny ball bearings in the studded armour, must have been a lot of work?

On the subject of Chainmail; I use a rounded head needle (I forget the name of the type unfortunately) that I glued / Greenstuffed into the end of an old paint brush, I'm not not great at it but it did help me with the longer handle / more control:

Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. DSCN9631

In general though chainmail requires more patience and hand control than I am able to muster and I can make it look good for a couple of rows and then I loose it somewhere in the middle.
Back to top Go down
Http://maxxev.blogspot.co.uk
Aureus
Veteran
Veteran
Aureus

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P.   Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Icon_minitimeThu 27 Sep 2012 - 21:25

maxxev wrote:
Excellent work I really love the guy with the tiny ball bearings in the studded armour, must have been a lot of work?

Thanks! Well, it was similar to making a chainmai in a way, realtively easy but lengthy and somewhat tiring. The fun part is that this guy was one of my first boyz and on the picture you can see my third "version" of this armor. Also, that guy is my greatest "greenstuff waster" thus far, not only thanks to armor - can't recall how many times I remade his legs to get his posse right ( Those were the times when I didn't use any wire. In hindsight, tiny bit of wire would speed things up a bit). Hmm scratch , Why do you always gain experience right after you need it? Very Happy

maxxev wrote:

On the subject of Chainmail; I use a rounded head needle (I forget the name of the type unfortunately) that I glued / Greenstuffed into the end of an old paint brush, I'm not not great at it but it did help me with the longer handle / more control:

In general though chainmail requires more patience and hand control than I am able to muster and I can make it look good for a couple of rows and then I loose it somewhere in the middle.

Its the same with me - big parts of chaimail or any other bits that require lengthy greenstuffing tire me greatly and I tend to lose concentration. Not to mention, I am prone to accidentally touch "finished" parts of greenstuff, that has't dried completely yet. Hmm, that can be quite frustrating Smile

Rounded head needle? There are such things, damn. A the time I tried many things - needles, various sizes of wires and even some guitar strings. In the end I dipped the tip of a needle in a bit of super glue (however silly that may sound). Works good enough, but it never occurred to me that such needles can be bought Embarassed .

Back to top Go down
maxxev
Ancient
Ancient
maxxev

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P.   Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Icon_minitimeThu 27 Sep 2012 - 21:43

I just dug out the packet, it's a "tapestry" needle, I bought a pack of them in Hobbycraft while I was there last specifically for chainmail. They work well for me, I just need more practise I think.

Good luck
Back to top Go down
Http://maxxev.blogspot.co.uk
Mo!
Ancient
Ancient

Trading Reputation : 6

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P.   Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Icon_minitimeSat 10 Nov 2012 - 22:46

Some sculptors ad Forgeworld use some sort of prefab metal mesh... havent been able to find any myself but it seems like a really good idea...
Back to top Go down
Lord of Lustria
Warrior
Warrior
Lord of Lustria

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P.   Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Icon_minitimeSun 18 Nov 2012 - 5:07

I think your scale armor is awesome!!! scale is ,y favorite type of armor Smile
Back to top Go down
Aureus
Veteran
Veteran
Aureus

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P.   Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Icon_minitimeTue 1 Jan 2013 - 20:06

Arr! time for some updates! Recently I have been quite busy, but finally I finished two more squigs Smile

Squig no 1.
Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. 1_bmp10
Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. 2_bmp10

Squig no 2.
Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. 3_bmp10
Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. 4_bmp10

Sorry for poor pic quality.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P.   Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Icon_minitimeTue 1 Jan 2013 - 20:13

OH BABY! Those have to be among the OH-SO-COOLEST of Squigs. The one doing the one foot hop is INCREDIBLE. WONDERFULLY WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Aureus
Veteran
Veteran
Aureus

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P.   Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Icon_minitimeThu 3 Jan 2013 - 2:12

Thanks! Only two more now and I'll have a full herd Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Spectre76

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P.   Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Icon_minitimeThu 3 Jan 2013 - 3:49

Your skill with greenstuff is VERY cool! Like the other comments, I would very much like to see these greenies painted up!
Back to top Go down
http://www.thetonezone.net
catachanfrog
Elder
Elder
catachanfrog

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P.   Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Icon_minitimeSat 5 Jan 2013 - 18:22

haha. The second one is great. I just noticed he's changing wine into water - and the look of relief on his face. really good! I guess we'll playtest him in the next battle? Wink
Back to top Go down
Aureus
Veteran
Veteran
Aureus

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P.   Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Icon_minitimeFri 14 Jun 2013 - 14:22

Thread necromancy!

Stars are in aligment and morrslieb turns red yet again - an omen of what is yet to come... Soooo, time is right for another update!

Sigh, my progress is so slow that I really could post pics only during significant astronomical events.

Another glorious squig - the squiglops!
Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. 110Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. 210Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. 310Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. 410

And now - "Lanky" the goblin marksman!
Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. 20130611Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. 20130612Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. 20130613
Size comparison groupshot!
Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. 20130614Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. 20130615

The goblin turned out a bit too tall IMO, but I'm still quite pleased. Hopefully I'll post some more gobbos and orcs and squigs (and whatnot) within reasonable period of time Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P.   Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kronk's 'ard boyz W.I.P.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next