Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Ghouls lack of weapons.

Go down 
+7
Lord 0
mweaver
whiskeytango
Mephysto
StyrofoamKing
Dribble Joy
Mortarion
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Mortarion

Mortarion

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead
Achievements earned: none

Ghouls lack of weapons. Empty
PostSubject: Ghouls lack of weapons.   Ghouls lack of weapons. Icon_minitimeMon 17 Oct 2011 - 13:39

So I'm just getting back into Mordheim and I'm wondering if this would work as a bit of a work around to the ghouls lack of equipment. Here goes.

IF I manage to get a Ghoul promoted via The Lads got Talent then roll a skill on the table for him could I take Weapons Training to allow him to use weapons since it says in the desciption "any hand-to-hand combat weapon he comes across, not just those in his equipment options"

Just a thought. That way I could have a ghoul running about with a sword and an axe or something for the extra attack and a parry save Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dribble Joy
Veteran
Veteran
Dribble Joy

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Ghouls lack of weapons.   Ghouls lack of weapons. Icon_minitimeMon 17 Oct 2011 - 13:56

Doable and as far as I am aware, legal.

That said, I'd probably take a different skill than Weapon Training since they start with two base attacks. Resilient or Sprint would be better.
Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Ghouls lack of weapons.   Ghouls lack of weapons. Icon_minitimeMon 17 Oct 2011 - 17:40

In a FAQ, I think they declared it illegal. However, it is a common house rule, so check with your group- if they allow it, it's fair game. Our group does it, but I've also had my butt handed to be enough by A5 ghouls that I know how broken it can be.

Remember, Weapon Trainings lets them use Hand to Hand weapons... not missiles or armor!
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
Mephysto
Veteran
Veteran
Mephysto

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Ghouls lack of weapons.   Ghouls lack of weapons. Icon_minitimeMon 17 Oct 2011 - 18:21

'Tis the truth the King speaketh - the exact wording, for those interested:

Mordheim FAQ, p. 4 wrote:
Q: Under the Henchmen listing for Ghouls, it says that they can never carry equipment. However, if your Ghoul gets the ‘That Lad’s Got Talent’ advancement and you make him a Ghoul Hero, he can get Combat Skills for one of his choices. If he gets the chance to learn a new skill, can you give him Weapons Training to allow him to use weapons or is the listing about Ghoul Henchmen never using weapons final?

A: The letter of the rule is that Ghouls can have NO equipment. However, so many people enjoy equipping their Ghouls that I (Tuomas) rarely point this out. I hate seeing all of those Ghoul conversions going to waste!
Back to top Go down
whiskeytango
Warlord
Warlord
whiskeytango

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Ghouls lack of weapons.   Ghouls lack of weapons. Icon_minitimeMon 17 Oct 2011 - 18:33

I'm not sure this is a rule that needs a work around. Ghouls are plenty deadly even with weapons, and bones aside, it doesn't really fit the flavor for then to be armed. As many have said the dice gods favor unoptimized fluffy warbands anyways.
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Ghouls lack of weapons.   Ghouls lack of weapons. Icon_minitimeMon 17 Oct 2011 - 22:48

We never had anyone try that. But we do allow them to use a lucky charm and a rabbit's foot - we figure the vamp buys them and ties them around its neck.

Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ghouls lack of weapons.   Ghouls lack of weapons. Icon_minitimeTue 18 Oct 2011 - 10:07

In my group we allow it fully, but we are also pretty strict on WYSIWYG too. This tends to mean that the ass-hat power-gamers – who almost never paint their minis, let alone *convert* anything – pretty much never take advantage of the rule; besides, ass-hat power-gamers wouldn't be playing a third-tier warband like undead anyway.

We also allow them equipment, but strictly enforce the WYSIWYG on the ghoul whereas we are a little more relaxed on it for normal stuff.
Back to top Go down
shotguncoffee
Warlord
Warlord
shotguncoffee

PostSubject: Re: Ghouls lack of weapons.   Ghouls lack of weapons. Icon_minitimeTue 18 Oct 2011 - 10:35

i recommend the coreheim fix saying its legal but ghouls suffer -1 A on profile if they take it

ghoul with waepons training + flail is insane
Back to top Go down
Mortarion

Mortarion

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Ghouls lack of weapons.   Ghouls lack of weapons. Icon_minitimeTue 18 Oct 2011 - 13:37

I can see how it would end up a little on the broken side...though the way my luck is going with rolling for advancement none of them are ever going to get promoted Sad
Back to top Go down
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
BalrogTheBuff

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ghouls lack of weapons.   Ghouls lack of weapons. Icon_minitimeMon 24 Oct 2011 - 17:37

I would play it like Shotguncoffee said. It does make sense fluffyness wise. And I saw a cool ghoul once with a greatsword. Modeled as an insane warrior.
Back to top Go down
whiskeytango
Warlord
Warlord
whiskeytango

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Ghouls lack of weapons.   Ghouls lack of weapons. Icon_minitimeMon 24 Oct 2011 - 19:40

If the model you're talking about was wearing a black robe and was made fon the flaggelant sprue, that was actually a dreg.
Back to top Go down
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
BalrogTheBuff

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ghouls lack of weapons.   Ghouls lack of weapons. Icon_minitimeMon 24 Oct 2011 - 23:27

Nah it was just model I saw once (can't remember where) I think it was just used in a VC army.
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ghouls lack of weapons.   Ghouls lack of weapons. Icon_minitimeWed 26 Oct 2011 - 7:24

The thing is though, they are still a tier 3 warband. It takes a bit more than just weapon-toting ghouls to bring them up to tier 1.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Ghouls lack of weapons.   Ghouls lack of weapons. Icon_minitimeWed 26 Oct 2011 - 13:27

I'm not sure how you rank warbands, but I think it varies from group to group. Our gunners rarely struggle to win with Vamps.
Back to top Go down
Dribble Joy
Veteran
Veteran
Dribble Joy

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ghouls lack of weapons.   Ghouls lack of weapons. Icon_minitimeWed 26 Oct 2011 - 13:47

Why exactly are they considered so poorly of?

M9 wolves, top level leader, magic caster, cheap henchmen (zombies), dangerous henchmen (ghouls).

OK, no shooting options really, but I'm presumably missing something else.

Speed? Why not send out the wolves (which can walk faster than most people run) first to tie up the warband while the rest follows up?
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Ghouls lack of weapons.   Ghouls lack of weapons. Icon_minitimeWed 26 Oct 2011 - 15:42

they are a slower warband with no shooting (or at least not much to speak of). Add to this that they have a hard time getting that 6th hero as only one henchmen group can gain exp. Also there other two henchmen groups that don't gain exp will be left behind in latter games and be weak, too weak actually to be of much use.
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Ghouls lack of weapons.   Ghouls lack of weapons. Icon_minitimeWed 26 Oct 2011 - 18:18

"Add to this that they have a hard time getting that 6th hero as only one henchmen group can gain exp."

I just load 'em up with ghouls and have the 6th hero as soon as any other warband I run.

They have two main models (vampire and necromancer), three weak heroes (three dregs compared to two youngbloods in most bands), and most of their henchmen cannot earn experience and none can carry kit. As a result, they tend to be powerful early on, but as other warbands make money and survive games, the undead tend to fall behind since (unless, like me, you ignore everything else and only recruit ghouls) because their henchmen aren't getting any better and they aren't able to spread nice kit as widely.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ghouls lack of weapons.   Ghouls lack of weapons. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ghouls lack of weapons.
Page 1 of 1