Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P.

Go down 
+20
qazbnm
wanna993
Spectre76
floedebolle
Von Kurst
Pathfinder Dubstyles
maxxev
oldschoolgameroo
Etrigan001
PerryParker
JoaoS
Vagabond
smokezombie
magokiron
Theorox
Pervavita
Captain Bernhardt
luckyjoe
DeafNala
opaque
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
opaque
Knight
Knight
opaque

Trading Reputation : 0

Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P.   Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Icon_minitimeMon 26 Sep 2011 - 14:55

As i promised, here is the stuff i´m actually working on.
Because i dont have a room only for my hobby i build a "table" which can easily be fold up. Here´s a little picture
Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Cimg0910

The last few years i build a few landscape like Hills, a gorge, a wood, a lake, some Houses and a graveyard.
When i found this site i get inspired to build some more. After thinking what to do first i decided to build a river and a street for my table.
here is what i´ve done so far.
Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Cimg0810
a few section of my river each is about 30cm/1ft long and 12,5cm/5inch broad
Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Cimg0911
a street section with some designs i´ve tested to see which i prefer. For me it is a old dwarfen merchant street.
After building this i noticed that i need something to cross the river (there is a ford too) so i build a bridge
Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Cimg0811

This is how far i´ve come, but now I NEED YOUR HELP I want to build some details for my street. I have 11 street sections including one crossroads. The space beside the street is only 1cm/ less than a 1/2inch broad. For storage reason the thinks shouldn´t be too high (like signs, i will build them seperate)
Please send me some ideas what details i should ad. For brainstorming here are a few ideas i´ve thought about: - a dwarfen waystone, - a heap of paving stones left there by the dwarfen craftmans, - a broken wheel, - some puddles, - skeleton of an animal, - lost cargo like broken barrels or something,

Last edited by opaque on Wed 28 Dec 2011 - 14:25; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P.   Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Icon_minitimeMon 26 Sep 2011 - 15:31

Hey Opaque! I hope you don't mind, but I changed your links to photos...some of u00000s lazy types tend to skip posts that only have links to the pretty photos. All you have to do to put up pics is add an Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P.  before the address & an after it. What a Face

Your stuff looks TERRIFIC. I usually start with water as my base layer & add ground sections to mask those ares where I don't want the water to show. That aside, your river sections & the cool bridge look fine.
One of the little touches that I add is storm grates; just cut a square into the foam & put a grate of wood strips (I use thin & thick match sticks) to represent the iron grating. clown

Last edited by DeafNala on Thu 6 Oct 2011 - 20:13; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
luckyjoe
General
General
luckyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P.   Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Icon_minitimeTue 27 Sep 2011 - 2:25

Those look great. I really like the stonework of the street.
Back to top Go down
opaque
Knight
Knight
opaque

PostSubject: Re: Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P.   Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Icon_minitimeTue 27 Sep 2011 - 19:32

@deafnala thank you for your helping hand, helpful as always.

@luckyjoe thank a lot it took me about 20min to do it only on one section. I hope the painting will make it worth.

next week i will have a little time to continue. if there are any ideas for the details please post
Back to top Go down
Captain Bernhardt
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Captain Bernhardt

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P.   Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed 28 Sep 2011 - 17:43

looking good so far,
you could make the streets more visually attractive by making the coblestones more uneven. It would also be cool to make some gaps where stones are stolen/broken

a little like this

or more irregular patterns like this or this
Back to top Go down
opaque
Knight
Knight
opaque

PostSubject: Re: Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P.   Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed 28 Sep 2011 - 18:53

@Captain Bernhardt: Thank you for your advice. I´ve thought about it to make it more irregular but i wanted to do it more dwarfen stile, regular. the cobblestones will get more uneven by the time.using a rubber and press some of the stones down and i thought about a section with destroyed/stolen parts of the street too.

but now it´s update time. i´ve build some details so look here
url=https://servimg.com/view/16875181/7]Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Cimg1012[/url]

and a detailed look
Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Cimg1013
dwarfen waystone

Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Cimg1014
some cobblestones

Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Cimg1015
a broken wheel

Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Cimg1016
some lost and broken cargo

Thats it. I hope you like it a little bit. I will be very happy if you comment on my stuff

Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P.   Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed 28 Sep 2011 - 19:02

maybe a skelaton on the road side with a sign around his neck reading "turn back" or "doom!"
Back to top Go down
luckyjoe
General
General
luckyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P.   Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed 28 Sep 2011 - 19:26

Those look great!. I love the debris, especially the broken barrel.
Back to top Go down
opaque
Knight
Knight
opaque

PostSubject: Re: Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P.   Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Icon_minitimeThu 29 Sep 2011 - 6:46

@ luckyjoe: thank you, im satisfied with the barrel too it came out right.

@Pervavita: thank you, i like your idea with the sign. i will have a look if i find a skeletton that fits right well
Back to top Go down
opaque
Knight
Knight
opaque

PostSubject: Re: Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P.   Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Icon_minitimeFri 30 Sep 2011 - 9:30

another update, just finished one more

Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Cimg1110
dead animal lying beside the street

Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Cimg1111
and one more with my comparison Dwarf

@ captain Bernhardt: as you can see i´ve started to make the street more uneven. I´m not sure if it is enough or if i´ll do some more
Back to top Go down
Theorox
Warlord
Warlord
Theorox

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P.   Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Icon_minitimeFri 30 Sep 2011 - 12:50

I love it. And the Comparison Dwarf is great! Smile

Theo
Back to top Go down
magokiron
Ancient
Ancient
magokiron

PostSubject: Re: Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P.   Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Icon_minitimeSat 1 Oct 2011 - 5:06

Looking good.

I second the idea of making the stones more uneven to add to the dilapidated look tipical of the city of the damned.

Your river looks very good too.

Is it scratch built?

If so... how did you achieve the "wet water" look?

Thanks and best wishes.
Back to top Go down
opaque
Knight
Knight
opaque

PostSubject: Re: Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P.   Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Icon_minitimeSat 1 Oct 2011 - 8:03

Thank you.

@ magokiron: for my river i used a 3mm mdf board as base (don´t know how it is called in Mexico in Germany it is mdf for "mitteldichte Faserplatte"). To built the bank i used 3mm styrofoam. The water effect is wood glue. I take one part water and two parts wood glue to get it liquid. After this i poured it to the painted river section (using Tesa strip at the end of each section to prevent that it goes everywhere) . First it was milky but after drying (took about 3-4 days because it was about 2-3mm thick all over) it became clear.
I´m very pleased how it came out.
Back to top Go down
magokiron
Ancient
Ancient
magokiron

PostSubject: Re: Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P.   Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Icon_minitimeSun 2 Oct 2011 - 6:12

Hi opaque.

Thanks for the answer, it's very useful, as I'm doing some river sections right now.

mdf (medium density fiberboard) I know how to ask for it here in Mexico, no worries. Actually I should have some pieces already lying somwhere Wink

I was thinking about using resin to "wet" my rivers, but will see with white glue.

Hope to see more of your work soon.

Best wishes.
Back to top Go down
opaque
Knight
Knight
opaque

PostSubject: Re: Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P.   Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Icon_minitimeMon 3 Oct 2011 - 20:55

ok a few more pictures. just put some grass on the bank. now only the muddy/sandy parts needed some drybrushing.

Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Cimg1112

Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Cimg1113

Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Cimg1114

next thing i´m planing is:

1. put some colour on my street

2. build a tavern because every bridge and every crossroads has his own. (I build a few molds early this year and i will try how they will work)

3. put details and colour on the bridge

@magokiron: the Idea with the white glue is from another forum (i dont know which one). But there it was said you can colour the glue carefully and you will get some transperant green or blue (or if you like even brown) "water".
Back to top Go down
opaque
Knight
Knight
opaque

PostSubject: Re: Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P.   Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed 5 Oct 2011 - 14:53

Ok, last time i´ve posted (maybe someone read it) i´ve mentioned the idea building a Tavern and now see what i´ve done this morning.

Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Cimg1115
just the foundation

Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Cimg1116
Groundfloor finished

Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Cimg1117
for a more ruined look just remove the corners

I just post because i´m wainting for the glue to dry. After this i will start building the firts floor.
Back to top Go down
luckyjoe
General
General
luckyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P.   Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed 5 Oct 2011 - 18:54

Those rivers look great. I like your water color, and great job on the river banks. The layout of the tavern is very good, too. That's a great idea to have the corner section removable. It's like having two pieces of terrain in one. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this.
Back to top Go down
opaque
Knight
Knight
opaque

PostSubject: Re: Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P.   Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Icon_minitimeThu 6 Oct 2011 - 20:00

@ luckyjoe: Thank you i´m happy that someone like my stuff(except of me)

After a whole day of hobby madness i´ve finished the second floor
Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Cimg1118

Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Cimg1119
it can be ruined like the first floor.

Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P.   Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Icon_minitimeThu 6 Oct 2011 - 20:20

VERY CLEVER IDEA! Being able to swap from an intact building to a ruin adds a great versatility to the piece...being COOL looking is a plus. VERY NICELY DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
luckyjoe
General
General
luckyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P.   Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Icon_minitimeThu 6 Oct 2011 - 21:18

Very nice. This is a great method. Are you going to hold the separate pieces together with magnets?
Back to top Go down
smokezombie
Warlord
Warlord
smokezombie

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P.   Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Icon_minitimeThu 6 Oct 2011 - 22:27

Verry nice, it's agreat idea having the removable pieces.. could play vanilla Mordheim or EIF with it. The upper floor really looks good... floorboards are going to be a pain though.

The river sections look nice.. how about a pic of your board with the river sections and the hills+ woods on it please Very Happy

Good job... keep them coming
Back to top Go down
opaque
Knight
Knight
opaque

PostSubject: Re: Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P.   Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Icon_minitimeSat 8 Oct 2011 - 18:56

Thank you guys its like a warm sommerbreeze to me that you like what i´ve done

@deafnala: the idea with the removable section came to my mind during building the ground level. I´m quite pleased with it.

@luckyjoe: i didn´t thought about how to fix, but after you posted i ordered a few magnets immediately.

@smokezombie: well i will see what i can do.

O.k. a quick update, just finished the roof floor
Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Cimg1120

Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Cimg1121
Back to top Go down
magokiron
Ancient
Ancient
magokiron

PostSubject: Re: Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P.   Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Icon_minitimeMon 10 Oct 2011 - 5:20

Sweet!

Such a beautiful building, and with double use too!

Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
luckyjoe
General
General
luckyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P.   Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Icon_minitimeMon 10 Oct 2011 - 14:42

Very nice. That is a very well-done, substantial building. Great job! Any chance of posting some pics with minis near or in the building for scale?
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P.   Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Icon_minitimeMon 10 Oct 2011 - 15:38

That is an UBERCOOL piece. I don't envy you doing the roof...interesting angles do have their price. thumbsup
I second luckyjoe's request for a mini or two partially for scale & mostly to see your brushwork. clown
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P.   Building - Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Building a city, formerly known as River and Street W.I.P.
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next