Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated 18/11/12 With added Ork)

Go down 
+8
Von Kurst
Maestrom
Stormgerkin
BurnTheWitch
Eliazar
Grimscull
DeafNala
smokezombie
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
smokezombie
Warlord
Warlord
smokezombie

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Empty
PostSubject: Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated 18/11/12 With added Ork)   Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Icon_minitimeFri 6 May 2011 - 18:28

So..... things have a tendancy to not get finished.... I'll try and post a few pics of the warbands I'm working on.
Here's the witch hunters. They've had a bit of paint since these ( rubbish ) pics were taken and some were started a looong time ago.

Witch Hunter Captain.
[img]Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Davespics032[/img]

Witch Hunter.
[img]Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Davespics031[/img]

Witch Hunter.
[img]Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Davespics028[/img]

another angle with the vanilla Warior Priest.
[img]Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Davespics027[/img]

Flagalents... there is one more old one not in the pic.
[img]Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Davespics029[/img]

Flagalent ( haven't I seen you somewhere before? )with some hounds.
[img]Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Davespics039[/img]

And a group shot.
[img]Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Davespics033[/img]

oh dear the pics are even worse than I thought.

Last edited by smokezombie on Mon 19 Nov 2012 - 0:55; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated 18/11/12 With added Ork)   Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Icon_minitimeFri 6 May 2011 - 19:24

Don't be hard on yourself...the photos look FINE, as do the subjects...nice positioning on the minis. The War Hounds are cool; they remind me of my old dog, Sam, the TERROR of the Neighborhood. ENJOY THE PAINTING! clown
Back to top Go down
smokezombie
Warlord
Warlord
smokezombie

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated 18/11/12 With added Ork)   Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Icon_minitimeSun 8 May 2011 - 15:26

Thanks DeafNala.
The puppies are from cobblestone and look a bit friendly for Mordheim but they're al I have Sad
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated 18/11/12 With added Ork)   Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Icon_minitimeMon 9 May 2011 - 7:45

Very promising warband, I especially like the guy with the torch. What is the basic model for this one? And the dogs are cool. They might get underestimated because of their size - classy psychological warfare I call it.
Back to top Go down
smokezombie
Warlord
Warlord
smokezombie

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated 18/11/12 With added Ork)   Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Icon_minitimeMon 9 May 2011 - 23:46

Thanks Grimscull.
The basic model is an advanced heroquest man at arms, a model I love and have used it as a base in a few different warbands... now to paint him.
Back to top Go down
smokezombie
Warlord
Warlord
smokezombie

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated 18/11/12 With added Ork)   Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Icon_minitimeTue 31 May 2011 - 19:01

So, I got some cart wheels from the kind Scurvy dog which I needed to make a wagon for a merchant warband.
I wanted to go for an all Araby feel for these guys even though they are supposed to be a rag tag bunch from around the Empire.
There hasn't been any work done on them in a while but the arrival of the wheels made me want to get them out again.

Their name...

"Ben Yusefs bazar of fragrently exotic and wonderously unique merchandise, sold at unbeatable price!
....Just for you! "

The Merchant. Ben Yusef
[img]Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Davespics032[/img]
I tried to give him some opulant pointy slippers and a turban. I still have a (high elf archer) feather with a gem to add to his turban and a scimitar to add somewhere. The repeater handgun is a "counts as " brace of duling pistols.

The Aprentice. Ali Al Salar..............( I'm a midgit!! Not a dwarf!! )
[img]Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Davespics035[/img]
He allready looked like he was from Araby so nothing done here. Pic is even more blury than usual.

The Magician. Safeer
[img]Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Davespics033[/img]
[img]Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Davespics034[/img]
Another turban, a scimitar and a suitably Araby looking staff head.

The very much wip Knights of Araby ( arabian knights Rolling Eyes )
Saladin.
[img]Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Davespics030[/img]
[img]Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Davespics031[/img]

and Jasim.
[img]Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Davespics027[/img]
[img]Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Davespics029[/img]
[img]Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Davespics028[/img]
He's ment to have a dragon sword.
I haven't decided what to do with their heads yet... and both need some more GS.

Here's Mario the marksman.
[img]Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Davespics039[/img]
[img]Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Davespics040[/img]

I also have the Araby ogre.. but you all know what he looks like.

So the wagon is not built yet. I can't decide if I want these fellas to pull it, or just use them as a baggage train behind the wagon.
[img]Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Davespics038[/img]
[img]Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Davespics037[/img]

And lastly.. An idea I'm toying around with... If one of the knights was mounted...
[img]Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Davespics042[/img]
[img]Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Davespics041[/img]
This is the "mount" without the rider.
[img]Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Davespics026[/img]

Any ideas or comments?
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated 18/11/12 With added Ork)   Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Icon_minitimeTue 31 May 2011 - 19:20

Wow, pretty cool stuff! I really like your ideas for the Arabyans. Any chance of a close up of a turban? I intend to do some Arabyan fighters in the future, too, but didn't have a good idea on how to sculpt them yet.

I like the Camel rider! Have the same model, but where's the camel from?

My favorite is the non-arabyan Mario, though, great pose and a lot of character!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated 18/11/12 With added Ork)   Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Icon_minitimeTue 31 May 2011 - 19:37

COOL STUFF! I like the "gone native" look to the Empire Lads...a definite Araby feel to the Band. I also really like the camels. While you're in the mood, keep up the FINE WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
BurnTheWitch
General
General
BurnTheWitch

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ogres (BTB) Ogres (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated 18/11/12 With added Ork)   Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Icon_minitimeTue 31 May 2011 - 21:22

Must say everything looks great! What models did you use for the dogs?
Back to top Go down
smokezombie
Warlord
Warlord
smokezombie

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated 18/11/12 With added Ork)   Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Icon_minitimeTue 31 May 2011 - 21:46

Thanks for the comments fellas,

@Eliazar Not sure if my phone can get a better pic of the turbans but I used this to sculpt them, mine are a bit sloppy but it's not hard to get something you'r happy with Very Happy
Quote :
I like the Camel rider! Have the same model, but where's the camel from?
He's a cracking mini. Sadly I'm not sure who made that camel, I got him off ebay. The other two are from cobblestone, they are a bit smaller.
Mario gets around a bit. He gets pulled out of the box whenever I need a Tilean marksman, I don't really know why he is standing on a book, it was fun to make tho.

@Deafnala. Cheers, your kind words are allways encouraging.

@BurnTheWitch The dogs are also from cobblestone, a bit small and weedy for Mordheim Sad but they are doing me proud.
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated 18/11/12 With added Ork)   Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Icon_minitimeTue 31 May 2011 - 22:05

smokezombie wrote:
Mario gets around a bit. He gets pulled out of the box whenever I need a Tilean marksman, I don't really know why he is standing on a book, it was fun to make tho.

Shame on you! Why hasn't he seen any paint if he's getting around so much? Wink
Back to top Go down
smokezombie
Warlord
Warlord
smokezombie

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated 18/11/12 With added Ork)   Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Icon_minitimeTue 31 May 2011 - 22:14

Haha! Sadly I'm one of those people who prefers to make things over painting, I have a fairly short attention span when it comes to painting warbands... I am working on it tho What a Face honest!
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated 18/11/12 With added Ork)   Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Icon_minitimeTue 31 May 2011 - 23:17

Hehe. A painted warband looks so much nicer, no matter the skills. And nowaday with washes or dipping, you can just quickly paint one layer of colour, give it a wash and go over the details/additional highlighting whenever you feel like it, making it possible to paint warbands rather fast Smile
Back to top Go down
Stormgerkin
Captain
Captain
Stormgerkin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated 18/11/12 With added Ork)   Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Icon_minitimeWed 1 Jun 2011 - 0:29

The Araby knights convertions have come out well. I dig the camel.
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated 18/11/12 With added Ork)   Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Icon_minitimeFri 3 Jun 2011 - 12:18

Hey, your arabian merchants really turned out great. The leader- and wizard conversions work great, but I like your arab knights best. Never thought chaos barbs-pieces would work that well with elves. And what mini is your midget originally?
Cheers!
Back to top Go down
smokezombie
Warlord
Warlord
smokezombie

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated 18/11/12 With added Ork)   Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Icon_minitimeFri 3 Jun 2011 - 18:01

Thanks Stormgerkin and Grimscull.
I am enjoying making the araby knights, stuck on what to do with their heads tho, shaved head, turban or headscarf with flowing bits? Any ideas.
The midgit is an old dwarf mini I picked up on ebay. (no. 13 on that page)
@Eliazar I decided to try and paint up Mario just to show you that I could. Unfortunatly I undercoated him black, with a new can, and with the first pass of the can.... it went badly The paint went on really dusty and I'm not sure I can save him Sad tho I will try.
I blame you of course Evil or Very Mad Haha
Back to top Go down
Maestrom
Hero
Hero
Maestrom

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated 18/11/12 With added Ork)   Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Icon_minitimeSat 4 Jun 2011 - 14:47

2 great warbands you have here dude, I like the mix of models and poses in the witch hunters.

The Araby warband has to be my favourite though, you have some really nice conversions for it especially Saladin and the marksman Smile

looking forward to seeing more
Back to top Go down
smokezombie
Warlord
Warlord
smokezombie

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated 18/11/12 With added Ork)   Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Icon_minitimeSun 5 Jun 2011 - 10:36

@Maestrom Thank you very much sir Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated 18/11/12 With added Ork)   Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Icon_minitimeTue 7 Jun 2011 - 0:04

Ah, shame that the basecoating went wrong... I hope you can still save him yo you won't have to hit me if we meet at a Mordheim meeting in the UK some day (yeah, guys, so many of you British people here and you never hosted yet!) Wink
Back to top Go down
smokezombie
Warlord
Warlord
smokezombie

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated 18/11/12 With added Ork)   Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Icon_minitimeTue 7 Jun 2011 - 0:44

Quote :
... I hope you can still save him yo you won't have to hit me if we meet at a Mordheim meeting in the UK some day (yeah, guys, so many of you British people here and you never hosted yet!)
That sounds like a good idea, the Mordheim meeting in the uk... not the hitting.
I hear there is a fantastic table in Poole somewhere What a Face

Last edited by smokezombie on Tue 7 Jun 2011 - 0:46; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated 18/11/12 With added Ork)   Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Icon_minitimeTue 7 Jun 2011 - 0:44

Great work on the warbands.

The Arabs are my favorite since I'm playing an Araby Smuggler band at the moment. Great kit bashing.

I can't place the camel, I have Foundry and Black Tree camels but that camel isn't one of those either.
Back to top Go down
smokezombie
Warlord
Warlord
smokezombie

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated 18/11/12 With added Ork)   Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Icon_minitimeTue 7 Jun 2011 - 0:50

Thanks Von Krust.
I just delved into my ebay history. The camel was described as
Quote :
theBattleforge 28mm Fantasy Camel Walking Arab Ancients
got him for £3.50!! Bargin.
Back to top Go down
smokezombie
Warlord
Warlord
smokezombie

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated 18/11/12 With added Ork)   Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Icon_minitimeWed 14 Sep 2011 - 18:47

So this is the stalled progress I have(n't) made on my Araby merchant caravan. The gentlemanly Scurvy Dog provided me with a set of wheels and chassis ( is that how it's spelt?). Clearly the only thing I've done is put the base together.
[img]Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Davespics097[/img]
[img]Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Davespics094[/img]
[img]Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Davespics098[/img]
[img]Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Davespics093[/img]

I'm a bit stuck for inspiration really.
Should I use the two pack camels insted of horses?
How should the animals be attached to the harness?
Should it be covered?
Where can I get exotic looking merchandise to fill up this rather small vehicle? Barells, jars carpets etc.
And how can make it look more... Araby?
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated 18/11/12 With added Ork)   Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Icon_minitimeWed 14 Sep 2011 - 23:08

The base did turn out VERY NICELY. What a Face
I wish I could provide you with a "how to" on the harness, but I managed to get draft animals with harness modeled on for my wagon & artillery models; historical mini maker like Foundry, Perry Bros., Redoubt, et al make their draft animals with harness...G.W. labors on the misconception that such details go unnoticed. I would imagine that pack animals would have been more the way to go on the real Silk Road. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated 18/11/12 With added Ork)   Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Icon_minitimeThu 15 Sep 2011 - 4:33

Camels and wagons don't seem to mix in the real world. Did the Mongols use wagons?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated 18/11/12 With added Ork)   Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated  18/11/12 With added Ork) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Smokezombies WIP warbands.(updated 18/11/12 With added Ork)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next