Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals

Go down 
+30
Pathfinder Dubstyles
The_Ferret
The Yak
JoaoS
Pervavita
Paboook
mavfire
Eliazar
folketsfiende
Etrigan001
FKSN
cianty
Ezekiel
shanks
gewaltatron
Pfreck
smokezombie
Mephysto
Skavenblight
floedebolle
SerialMoM
tomogui
geekgirl
frogprince
drakkol
WarbossKurgan
Elmoth
Von Kurst
DeafNala
werekin
34 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Norse (Unofficial) Norse (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Empty
PostSubject: Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals   Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Icon_minitimeMon 7 Feb 2011 - 21:20

This is Marienburg!...

Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Shadow10

Hi folks.

Been dying to reveal something to illustrate my latest greatest gaming table masterplan. The table I conjured up for Cianty's campaign was reasonably ambitious, I spent many evenings down at my local Games Workshop store building the Mountains of Mourn territorial game-board. This time around I have been working from home. After evicting my flatmate I had space to get this thing started.

I fear that I've bitten off more than I can chew with my design concept! confused

My modelling activity has been fraught with set-backs which meant I was unwilling to start a WiP thread from the get go. Nevertheless, with advice and encouragement from my friends & co-conspirators plus some invaluable hands-on aid from the able-bodied Chris 'Frogprince' Kneller things have finally started to come to fruition.

*Edit*Originally this post was not for the big reveal. More was to come (and still is!) for I was still working on the table! There is a lot left to do; Bridges, sewer entrances, and more island foundations (wharves) have since been built.

Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Gaming10

Any buildings you see have been custom-made for my table by Carl 'Scenery Bloke' Merrell. Firstly, here is a snap-shot which gives a sneak-peek look at what I've been working towards, allowing a basic illustration of what a small zone will look like once the project is finished.

I've taken a few more shots of the above scene at different angles if anyone wants to see 'em?

Hoping to trace my steps for you in a report which should illustrate the bigger picture. I should also mention that I've been inspired to tackle this mad s**t by various members from the forum.

Regards,

Werekin.[img][/img]

Last edited by werekin on Fri 4 May 2012 - 22:11; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://libermalefic.blogspot.com/
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals   Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Icon_minitimeMon 7 Feb 2011 - 23:36

VERY NICE! It's an attractive little piece made even more so by the mystery factor...haven't a clue where you're going with this sucker Shocked . PLEASE DO post some more photos of the Beasty & that Fellow out for a swim...a few different angles would enhance the experience. WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals   Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Icon_minitimeTue 8 Feb 2011 - 1:01

Thanks for chiming in DN. My handheld device zoomed in for a closer inspection of that poor floating sucker. I hope his cold bearded corpse doesn't look too familiar. Wink

Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Img_0211

Slightly different tilt to the original pic. Couldn't tell which view was clearest.

Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Img_0212

*Edit* This was the original picture I took of the table on my phone camera after it was constructed.

Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Img_0210

I shall shortly begin uploading the backstory serving as a walk through and what not-to-do in hobby craft!

Regards,

Werekin.

Last edited by werekin on Tue 13 Mar 2012 - 22:22; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals   Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Icon_minitimeTue 8 Feb 2011 - 1:49

werekin wrote:
I hope his cold bearded corpse doesn't look too familiar. Wink

lol! ...I LOVE it! Actually he looks a bit too healthy to be moi. Deaf Nala Smiley

Thanks for the additional photos...more of the oh-so-cool details are now displayed to better advantage. The water effect looks TERRIFIC from above & grass clumps add a nice gone-to-seed feel. GREAT STUFF! thumbsup

I look forward to the background fluff. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals   Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Icon_minitimeTue 8 Feb 2011 - 4:10

Cool start Werekin. Is that textured plasticard? Nice.
Back to top Go down
Elmoth
Champion
Champion
Elmoth

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals   Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Icon_minitimeTue 8 Feb 2011 - 8:45

Looks cool Smile Looking forward to a group picture

Xavi
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals   Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Icon_minitimeTue 8 Feb 2011 - 10:54

Awesome looking start!

I shall be following this thread with interest! Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals 665330
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals   Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Icon_minitimeTue 8 Feb 2011 - 21:17

In the beginning we built a frame...

Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Img_0110

Added some extra supports...

Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Img_0111

And nailed a playing surface into position...

Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Img_0112

This was done twice...

Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Img_0113

Regards,

Werekin.
Back to top Go down
drakkol
Ancient
Ancient
drakkol

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals   Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Icon_minitimeTue 8 Feb 2011 - 21:42

Really interesting! I'm curious about your project...will it be a sort of Mordheimy Venice? Wink
If you'll need some pics of Venice i could take them for you when i'll visit my girlfriend next weekend...
lol!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Drakkols-workshop/294017540629240
frogprince
Youngblood
Youngblood
frogprince

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals   Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Icon_minitimeWed 9 Feb 2011 - 15:49

as a fellow conspirator in this project, i have to say your in for a treat! once we have ironed out the technical difficulties this project is going to look awesome!

as a side note, i have been working on an addition to this mighty project which i hope will also be similarly impressive. more details to come as progress has been slow and i am loathed to reveal too much before it is ready, however, once it is in a state to reveal a retroactive WIP thread will be posted!

Back to top Go down
http://libermalefic.blogspot.com/
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals   Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Icon_minitimeWed 9 Feb 2011 - 16:51

WELCOME Aboard, frogprince! I hope your stay is a LONG & MERRY one.
The gaming table looks to be a fine, sturdy piece of work...NICELY DONE! thumbsup
I had done an island board a few years ago to represent The Isles of The Sirens just South of Tobaro. It really was an enjoyable build, & somewhat easier to do than a traditional Mordheim setting. HAVE FUN WITH THE BEASTY! What a Face
Back to top Go down
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals   Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Icon_minitimeWed 9 Feb 2011 - 20:27

Shalllya's teats! Don't listen to him, he plays Skaven for crying out loud!! Wink

This undertaking has been masterminded from the canal bed up and while it can't claim to be a Wolfgang it will be a dirty pretty thing if we can pull it off.

Here are some more WiP shots of generating the 6'x2' sections.

Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Img_0115

'Inky Pool' was applied as a base colour. Without custom mixing, this was the darkest hue of blue-green in the Dulux paint range. People paint the walls of their hide-out with this s**t!? Prior to this stage I took the liberty of taping off the frame and painting in a clean black line to border the depth I decided to work to, being 6mm.

Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Img_0116
Back to top Go down
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals   Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Icon_minitimeSat 12 Feb 2011 - 17:14

At this stage I had some tidy looking sea green boards and nothing had gone wrong.

Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Img_0117

I started picking out a small selection of flotsam from the random items in mine & Frogprince's bitz boxes. A guy called Fishfingers who played in my last campaign had cast a bunch of chests & crates in plaster for me so I figured these would be ideal for sparse decoration.

Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Img_0118
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals   Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Icon_minitimeSat 12 Feb 2011 - 18:30

Looking good so far!
I'm really excited by this project - I'm glad you started with the water board.
Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals 665330

werekin wrote:
and nothing had gone wrong.
Uh oh! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals   Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Icon_minitimeSun 13 Feb 2011 - 5:21

werekin wrote:
At this stage I had some tidy looking sea green boards and nothing had gone wrong.
Sound ominous.
I get it now. The 2x6 boards are all water and the risers become the City of Islands! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals   Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Icon_minitimeSun 13 Feb 2011 - 16:42

Von Kurst you're on the right track sir!

I then slapped two coats of oak effect varnish on the frame. Another tip I picked up was drilling into the frame, to implement a couple of clasps which pull the two sections together. This was a recommended step for this kind of build otherwise they can slip about during battles! I managed to execute the measuring just right because the catches locked perfectly dragging the two boards together. While they didn't sit exactly flush it was a good result.

Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Img_0119

Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Img_0120

Here's a picture of the completed flotsam; body parts, perishable goods, a bloodbowl ball, a gribblie tentacle etc. The jetsam was varnished at the same time as the first of my human Priests! Here is a sneaky peek at my unbased Priest of Morr... He'll be making an appearance on another thread pretty soon as full Priests rules have now been drafted.

Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Img_0213

I add the jettisoned cargo and corpse parts to decorate the boards before the Frogprince & I began the risky business that was the next intended phase.

Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Img_0214

For the process which follows we'll be inviting you to watch some very silly video clips. Wink
Back to top Go down
geekgirl
Champion
Champion
geekgirl

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals   Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Icon_minitimeSun 13 Feb 2011 - 22:09

Good to see you got the biscuits in the picture.. they were a very important part of this operation! Razz
Back to top Go down
frogprince
Youngblood
Youngblood
frogprince

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals   Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Icon_minitimeSun 13 Feb 2011 - 23:41

glove fail FTW!

Back to top Go down
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals   Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Icon_minitimeTue 22 Feb 2011 - 20:06

Video links for WiP are now up guys!

Feel free to have a laugh at my expense and at the Frogprince with his epic-glove-fail. Wink

If you want to cut straight to the action then hit 'Making of a Mutiny - part 3' which is the main feature. Thanks to geekgirl for her steady camera-woman's hand.

Enjoy!

http://libermalefic.blogspot.com/2011/02/making-of-mutiny.html
Back to top Go down
tomogui
Hero
Hero
tomogui

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals   Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Icon_minitimeWed 23 Feb 2011 - 10:03

Great video! We need more hobby videos; they are great.

I have wanted to make a "city of islands" style board like this for a couple of years now, but cannot at the moment due to space constraints. This vid will make a great reference if I ever get around to it! Bookmarked. Good luck with the project, guys - it looks amazing so far. Please do keep posting videos and pics as you progress.
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals   Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Icon_minitimeWed 23 Feb 2011 - 10:40

cheers Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals 665330 Great stuff!

You guys are sneaky! I thought the "sneak peak" was just of the building - I hadn't realised before but looking at the first photo now I can see that the board was done a while ago and you are saving the "big reveal" for later!
lol!
Back to top Go down
frogprince
Youngblood
Youngblood
frogprince

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals   Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Icon_minitimeWed 23 Feb 2011 - 11:28

is my voice really that annoying in real life?

having seen that i don't think i want to speak again...........
Back to top Go down
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals   Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Icon_minitimeWed 23 Feb 2011 - 19:30

Dwarfs whistle while they work! No use crying about it now Vermin Lord. Wink

Hi-ho! Next time we'll try recording a sing-a-long blog... That would be a shocker!
Back to top Go down
frogprince
Youngblood
Youngblood
frogprince

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals   Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Icon_minitimeWed 23 Feb 2011 - 21:06

why is it that the first thing i thought of was 'i fought the law'?
Back to top Go down
geekgirl
Champion
Champion
geekgirl

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals   Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Icon_minitimeWed 23 Feb 2011 - 21:20

frogprince wrote:
is my voice really that annoying in real life?

having seen that i don't think i want to speak again...........

I hate my voice in vids too... hence why I didnt try to say too much while I was filming! lol...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals   Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Marienburg - City of Islands, Bridges & Secret Deals
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next