Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Dwarf Miners

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Asmo
Youngblood
Youngblood
Asmo

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: none

Dwarf Miners Empty
PostSubject: Dwarf Miners   Dwarf Miners Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010 - 16:59

So this is my main gang.

Dwarf Miners Image2

Their background is quite simple. They used to work in a mine, but after a disastrous mishap, it got flooded and is now lost.
The head of the gang is the former mine director. The engineer is, quite logically, the mine engineer, and the two slayers are the supervisors who let the accident happen.
The 5th hero is a LGT who got promoted from a team of mine guards. He enjoys rushing into battle with his guns and swords ablaze.
The two slayers use dwarf miner models as a base. I know they're meant to be armorless, but I really wanted to keep them in the theme of the gang. So they kept there mining gear to remember their faults. However, they weakened it so it could non longer protect them in battle.
Most hand to hand henchdwarfs use 2h mining utensils, and as you can see, the engineer fights with a steam drill and carries his modified crossbow on his back. He's become a real monster, with rapid fire, sharpshooter, eagle eye and a whoping 6 BS... One of the reasons I started beastmen, to stop sitting back and firing.
I'll post the rest of the team once I have pictures.
Also, sorry for the poor quality, I'll redo the pics when I've got more time...
Please tell me what you think of them, all advice is welcome. I haven't started on my beastmen yet, and I'm more than happy to try new painting techniques.

Asmo
Back to top Go down
Paluke
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Paluke

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

Dwarf Miners Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Miners   Dwarf Miners Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010 - 17:16

looking good there! If i can see it good, you haven't done the eyes.
It will provide a new challenge to practice!

Also, for shading you can use a simple technique called washing. GW produces an awesome wash that will work on most colours: Devlan Mud.

Chainmail, you can create a more realistic look by using black undercoat and then drybrushing the rings. Drybrushing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drybrush)

For the rest, excellent work! And don't be afraid to experiment! there is no right / wrong. and you can always repaint them!
Back to top Go down
CygnusMaximus
Warlord
Warlord
CygnusMaximus

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders
Achievements earned:

Dwarf Miners Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Miners   Dwarf Miners Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010 - 18:09

Thanks for posting these pictures, Asmo!

Great idea for a warband! I really like the Dwarf Miner models, they have a lot of character! I also like how you've managed to make them look like a very coherent force by using the miner bits and a unified colour scheme; though I agree with Paluke that they could use a bit more shading to bring them up to the next level.

What rules do you use for the Steam Drill?

Thanks again, they're looking good!
Back to top Go down
Asmo
Youngblood
Youngblood
Asmo

Personal Info

Dwarf Miners Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Miners   Dwarf Miners Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010 - 18:42

Thanks for your comments!

I agree, a bit more shading wouldn't hurt, I'll try my hand on it for the beastmen (I always enjoy keeping my guys the way I finished them, I can bring them out later and enjoy the progress I've made).

i use the steam drill as a 2h weapon, as we've just started Mordheim, we stick to he rules for the time being. We'll probably adapt some stuff once we see what needs tweeking.

Coming back to highlighting and washing, I've always had problems highlighting/drybrushing. I can't seem to get a uniform aspect to the finished product...

Last edited by Asmo on Tue 20 Apr 2010 - 18:42; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot something)
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

Dwarf Miners Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Miners   Dwarf Miners Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010 - 18:51

VERY COOL background fluff & minis! As my Fellow Forumites mentioned doing up the eyes, & a bit of washing & highlighting would bring them to a new level, but, as is, they are of a SUPERIOR gaming quality. NICE WORK! Dwarf Miners 544694

For the eyes an easy technique is to paint the eye socket black, run a line of white inside the black, & then a line of black from the top to the bottom black outline...a line works better than attempting a dot.
On the skin a reddish brown wash followed by a base color highlight, then a slightly lighter highlight would give the Lads a healthy glow.
Back to top Go down
Essmir.wolf
Hero
Hero
Essmir.wolf

Personal Info

Dwarf Miners Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Miners   Dwarf Miners Icon_minitimeSun 13 May 2012 - 19:29

Great idea with miners Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dwarf Miners Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Miners   Dwarf Miners Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dwarf Miners
Page 1 of 1