Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Confused about advance rolls.

Go down 
+2
Lanyssa Ryssyll
apoca1976
6 posters
AuthorMessage
apoca1976
Youngblood
Youngblood
apoca1976

Trading Reputation : 0

Confused about advance rolls. Empty
PostSubject: Confused about advance rolls.   Confused about advance rolls. Icon_minitimeMon 4 May 2009 - 14:05

Hello,

I'm bit confused about advance rolls.

Here's the latest rules about them:

Henchmen never add more than +1 point to any of their
initial characteristics. If the dice roll indicates an increase
in a characteristic which has already been increased (or
is at its racial maximum), roll again until an unincreased
charateristic is rolled. All warriors in the group gain the
same advance.

What if I'm using henchmen that have gained all in the racial maximum that can be rolled (I, S, BS, WS, A & Ld), what to do when they gain more exp...just keep rolling in infinity (Lad's go the talent = if you have maximum number of heroes roll again). Or do I have choice to increase other stats that cannot be rolled and are not in racial maximum ( M,T & W).

To summ it up, is there any way to get those M,T & W stats to henchmen, and if there is what are those??

More questions (bare with me)

For heros (I think this applyes only to heros, is that right?):

characteristic increase
Characteristics for certain warriors may not be
increased beyond the maximum limits shown on the
following profiles. If a characteristic is at its
maximum, take the other option or roll again if you
can only increase one characteristic. If both are
already at their racial maximum, you may increase any
other (that is not already at its racial maximum) by +1
instead. Note that this is the only way to gain the
maximum Movement for some races. Remember that
Henchmen can only add +1 to any characteristic.

What the heck this means?

I have skaven adept hero Rolled 8 (Characteristic Increase. Roll again: 1-3 = +1 Initiative; 4-6 = +1 Leadership.) and I rolled 5 (+1 Ld) but he allready has RACIAL MAXIMUM of 7. Does he roll again or have to take +1 Initiative?

Other question what if he had Initiative and Leadership allready at racial maximum would he get to choose to take any stat? Example Movement?
Back to top Go down
Lanyssa Ryssyll
Ancient
Ancient
Lanyssa Ryssyll

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Confused about advance rolls.   Confused about advance rolls. Icon_minitimeMon 4 May 2009 - 15:19

apoca1976 wrote:

What if I'm using henchmen that have gained all in the racial maximum that can be rolled (I, S, BS, WS, A & Ld)?

How can you do that ? Henchmen just can gain 5 advancement, aren't they ?

apoca1976 wrote:

I have skaven adept hero Rolled 8 (Characteristic Increase. Roll again: 1-3 = +1 Initiative; 4-6 = +1 Leadership.) and I rolled 5 (+1 Ld) but he allready has RACIAL MAXIMUM of 7. Does he roll again or have to take +1 Initiative?

Other question what if he had Initiative and Leadership allready at racial maximum would he get to choose to take any stat? Example Movement?

In the first case, you must take the +1I, in the second, you can take +1M if you want and if Movement is not in the racial maximum (but for the adept assassin, it's already done... Razz ).
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: Confused about advance rolls.   Confused about advance rolls. Icon_minitimeMon 4 May 2009 - 15:27

Lanyssa Ryssyll wrote:
apoca1976 wrote:

What if I'm using henchmen that have gained all in the racial maximum that can be rolled (I, S, BS, WS, A & Ld)?

How can you do that ? Henchmen just can gain 5 advancement, aren't they ?

In fact henchmen can get only 4 advances. Smile

Confused about advance rolls. Exper10
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
apoca1976
Youngblood
Youngblood
apoca1976

PostSubject: Re: Confused about advance rolls.   Confused about advance rolls. Icon_minitimeMon 4 May 2009 - 16:11

ok, I remember wrong that Flagelant could get all stats full and still have 1 experience advancement but it needed all four to get his WS, BS, A, I to max (others where allready to human maximum and little over them).

But what does this sentence mean in hero text: "If a characteristic is at its maximum, take the other option or roll again if you can only increase one characteristic."

Roll what again? If he is at maximum Wounds he could take Toughness or roll again". I'm confused when he is forced to take the "other" and what does that "if you can only increase on one characteristic" mean.

It sounds me that it means you are not forced to take other option if one of the pairs (example wounds are at max and toughness is not) is at maximum you could raise other one or roll again. Is that right?
Back to top Go down
PitFighterTrainer
Ancient
Ancient
PitFighterTrainer

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pit Fighters (Unofficial) Pit Fighters (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Confused about advance rolls.   Confused about advance rolls. Icon_minitimeMon 4 May 2009 - 17:48

What it means is that for some advances, there is just one result, instead of two.

If you roll an advance and the result has two options, like +1 Attack or +1 Wound, yet you are at max Wounds, then you HAVE to take the +1 Attack. UNLESS they are BOTH at their max. Then you get to choose ANY other characteristic increase you want.

If you roll an advance, and the result is a single increase to a stat, like +1 Leadership, and it's at it's max, then you HAVE to roll again.
Back to top Go down
apoca1976
Youngblood
Youngblood
apoca1976

PostSubject: Re: Confused about advance rolls.   Confused about advance rolls. Icon_minitimeMon 4 May 2009 - 18:24

What are these "some advances, there is just one result, instead of two." ??

Here's roll chart:

2D6 Result
2-5 New Skill. Select one of the Skill tables available to the Hero and pick a skill. If he is a wizard he may choose to randomly generate a new spell instead of a skill. See the Magic section.
6 Characteristic Increase. Roll again: 1-3 = +1 Strength; 4-6 = +1 Attack.
7 Characteristic Increase. Choose either +1 WS or +1 BS.
8 Characteristic Increase. Roll again: 1-3 = +1 Initiative; 4-6 = +1 Leadership.
9 Characteristic Increase. Roll again: 1-3 = +1 Wound; 4-6 = +1 Toughness.
10-12 New Skill. Select one of the Skill tables available to the Hero and pick a skill. If he is a wizard he may choose to randomly generate a new spell instead of a skill.

I thought as Lanyssa Ryssyll sead that if both are at maximum you dont roll but you can choose what every you want, like movement.

Rule: "If both are already at their racial maximum, you may increase any other (that is not already at its racial maximum) by +1 instead."

I cant see any roll number that is just one stat increase. they all have two stats.

So could you show me and example?
Back to top Go down
PitFighterTrainer
Ancient
Ancient
PitFighterTrainer

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Confused about advance rolls.   Confused about advance rolls. Icon_minitimeMon 4 May 2009 - 18:47

What are the henchmen advancement results?
Back to top Go down
PitFighterTrainer
Ancient
Ancient
PitFighterTrainer

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Confused about advance rolls.   Confused about advance rolls. Icon_minitimeMon 4 May 2009 - 18:51

2D6 Result
2-4 Advance. +1 Initiative.
5 Advance. +1 Strength.
6-7 Advance. Choose either +1 BS or +1WS.
8 Advance. +1 Attack.
9 Advance. +1 Leadership.
10-12 The lad’s got talent

So,
here's where that rule would come in play... Rolling for advance, you
roll a 5, but the models STR is at it's max... you HAVE TO ROLL AGAIN.

Rolling
again, you get a 7, and both BS and WS are at their max... NOW YOU CAN
CHOOSE ANY OTHER CHARACTERISTIC to increase by +1 (as long as it does
not go beyond racial max)
Back to top Go down
Figgy
Elder
Elder
Figgy

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Confused about advance rolls.   Confused about advance rolls. Icon_minitimeMon 4 May 2009 - 18:57

So if you get to the point where you can choose any stat, could a henchmen group actually get +1 toughness?

I never thought that was possible. Or do you lot just mean that you could pick anything BUT wounds/toughness, because it's not a normal advancement for henchmen?
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: Confused about advance rolls.   Confused about advance rolls. Icon_minitimeMon 4 May 2009 - 19:02

No, henchmen have re-roll. They don't get to choose a free stat increase like heroes.
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
apoca1976
Youngblood
Youngblood
apoca1976

PostSubject: Re: Confused about advance rolls.   Confused about advance rolls. Icon_minitimeMon 4 May 2009 - 19:13

And I think thats made also impossible just by making that even the best (closest to racial max begin with) flagelant needs 5 advancements to get "free" stat.
Back to top Go down
apoca1976
Youngblood
Youngblood
apoca1976

PostSubject: Re: Confused about advance rolls.   Confused about advance rolls. Icon_minitimeMon 4 May 2009 - 19:18

Back to top Go down
Lanyssa Ryssyll
Ancient
Ancient
Lanyssa Ryssyll

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Confused about advance rolls.   Confused about advance rolls. Icon_minitimeMon 4 May 2009 - 19:51

Okay, flagellants are an exception, I never thought about them, sorry Embarassed
The problem-sentence is :
Quote :
If a characteristic is at its
maximum, take the other option or roll again if you
can only increase one characteristic
If you're a heroe : for example, you have your Toughness at racial maximum, you MUST increase your Wounds, because it's the other option, and the result isn't just for one characteristic. It's ALWAYS the case with the heroes.
If you're a henchman : two cases.
- you get +1 advancement in Strengh, you're a flagellant, you're at your racial maximum, you MUST roll again because you can only increase one characteristic.
- your get +1 WS or +1 BS, you're a ghoul, at your racial max in BS, you MUST take the WS option.

Is it more clear now? Smile
Back to top Go down
apoca1976
Youngblood
Youngblood
apoca1976

PostSubject: Re: Confused about advance rolls.   Confused about advance rolls. Icon_minitimeMon 4 May 2009 - 20:25

Yes it is!!

Thanks, it just took a while.
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Confused about advance rolls.   Confused about advance rolls. Icon_minitimeTue 5 May 2009 - 4:02

Man, I never actually read that part of the rulebook, i just followedh how Necromunda handled it (same for heroes) and someone explained henchmen to me. After reading this topic i can really see where there is some ambiguity in the rules.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Confused about advance rolls.   Confused about advance rolls. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Confused about advance rolls.
Page 1 of 1