Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

My alternative Japanese Mordheim

Go down 
+22
Dalia
ChuckECheese
REKONE
Rabu
Oberon
Svenn
MagnoliaFan
Admin Tom
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Blackjack13
Identity
Duce
Ezekiel
Eliazar
Paluke
cianty
Scallen
Chad
blitzkrieg bob
DeafNala
Ash
lilljonas
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Identity
Elder
Elder
Identity

Trading Reputation : -2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Apr 2009 - 0:04

You are frighteningly prolific with your terrain! Keep it up. Those miniatures are fabulous as well. Your paint does those sculpts justice.
Back to top Go down
lilljonas
Champion
Champion
lilljonas

Trading Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Apr 2009 - 2:06

The club was unusually crowded today so there was not even a single table free for a group shot of the houses. While that will have to wait, here's some painting in progress pictures:

My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 P4200010-1

My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 P4200009

My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 P4200007

I was not sure it would turn out OK while I was building it, but now it is clearly the most obviously Japanese house in the lot. I like it, even if most areas have a layer or two left.
Back to top Go down
Identity
Elder
Elder
Identity

Trading Reputation : -2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Apr 2009 - 7:18

How do you paint the thatched (towel) roof? I imagine it soaks up a ridiculous amount of paint. Do you seal it with glue or something first?

The building looks amazing. Can't wait to see the group shot.
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Apr 2009 - 8:33

Really cool house. Very well done! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
lilljonas
Champion
Champion
lilljonas

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Apr 2009 - 8:44

Identity wrote:
How do you paint the thatched (towel) roof? I imagine it soaks up a ridiculous amount of paint. Do you seal it with glue or something first?

The building looks amazing. Can't wait to see the group shot.

Yes, I brush a lot of watered down PVA glue over it both to make it easier to paint and to make it rigid and strong. I've heard scenic cement works well too, but I don't have any.
Back to top Go down
Blackjack13
Hero
Hero
Blackjack13

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2009 - 2:05

Haven't seen your stuff before but I have to say I'm very impressed and will be stealing a number of your designs, at least in part for my Necromunda terrain (if/when I get teh space to make terrain that is...).

The idea is pretty cool* too so I'll be keepin tabs on this!! BTW are you playing it as if it were 'real world' or including all the mythology/anime elements?

I have to appologise though - as soon as I saw the bell tower all I could think of was 'Ninja Scroll'...

* You need to have Ronin hired-swords, even if it's just to nod to the sheer awesomeness taht is Lone Wolf & Cub, Shogun Assassin & Zatoichi!!
Back to top Go down
lilljonas
Champion
Champion
lilljonas

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2009 - 8:53

Blackjack13 wrote:
Haven't seen your stuff before but I have to say I'm very impressed and will be stealing a number of your designs, at least in part for my Necromunda terrain (if/when I get teh space to make terrain that is...).

The idea is pretty cool* too so I'll be keepin tabs on this!! BTW are you playing it as if it were 'real world' or including all the mythology/anime elements?

I have to appologise though - as soon as I saw the bell tower all I could think of was 'Ninja Scroll'...

* You need to have Ronin hired-swords, even if it's just to nod to the sheer awesomeness taht is Lone Wolf & Cub, Shogun Assassin & Zatoichi!!

I'll wait and see for what my group of players want out of the game. There's a few who seem to be interested in using the ninja goblins from Confrontation, and if so, we're going down the fantasy path by including daemons and ogres and other such stuff. By my plans are to present the rules as pulp samurai swashbuckling skirmish, just like in the movies, and then have the fantasy warbands being something you can choose to include or not. And I'm not a big fan of anime so I won't include Naruto things or whatever.

Now samurai movie hired swords is an entirely different things. Look out for Sanjuro, hired ninja assassins and Lady Snowblood! Razz
Back to top Go down
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2009 - 12:14

Have you read Tales of the Otori? The first three are the only good ones. Despite being quite childish there's lots of good pulp ninjas and all the correct hierarchys and rituals of the samurai.
Back to top Go down
lilljonas
Champion
Champion
lilljonas

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Apr 2009 - 2:25

Chad wrote:
Have you read Tales of the Otori? The first three are the only good ones. Despite being quite childish there's lots of good pulp ninjas and all the correct hierarchys and rituals of the samurai.

No, actually I haven't. I might check it out if I need something more to read over summer.

Today we had our first game with actual campaign warbands and even with half price armour the game remained extremely deadly. It started well with my force ambushing the enemy warband, and most of his warriors started off the board. But the scenario was over in three turns when half his warband all came in on the same table edge where two of my fighters were encircling my prey, and just an inch within charge range. Oh well. My champion got taken out of action and became stupid, his mind broken by this horrible ordeal. And all my gains was a single measly box of loot (wyrdstone). Very Happy

Shooting is really really deadly, so I'll make some more terrain for people to dodge behind while traversing the open space between houses. I'm thinking wells and maybe some barricades. I also made some loot counters to use instead of wyrdstone counters.
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Apr 2009 - 1:34

Your Japanese styles terrain is inspiring and perfectly usable for BtB as well! Pikes are featured in the Lustria setting if you check out the Tilean Warband list. Also Boarder Town Burning has rules for Katanas, which i'm sure you'll want to use!
Back to top Go down
lilljonas
Champion
Champion
lilljonas

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Apr 2009 - 3:30

I'll need to check out these other warbands and rules, I've just read the original rulebook, Empire in Flames and BtB. Looks like I have some studying to do... Smile

One player in our campaign wants to use Skaven and another wants to use goblin ninjas, so I'll make a revamp of the Skaven list. Another one wants to use Japanese Ogres, so I'm thinking of converting the Ogre list from BtB since it's pretty sweet.

As for katanas they are just swords, I don't see any need to make them anything else.
Back to top Go down
lilljonas
Champion
Champion
lilljonas

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Apr 2009 - 0:19

I got some building done over the weekend and today, sorry if the pics are not that good. Hopefully I'll be able to take better pictures later this week. None of these are completely finished since I'm waiting for some more flock and stuff I ordered online, but it's pretty close to done.

First out is the daemon infested well:

My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 P4270011

My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 P4270012

It's not so obvious from these pictures, but there's some gooey blue things sticking out from the bottom of the well. Since we'll probably get a couple of daemon and goblin themed warbands later on I wanted some place where they would feel at home.

Next up is the ordinary, clean village well with no goblins at all:

My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 P4270013

Water effects will go into the well, and I'll add a bucket or two next to it once I get them in the mail. These I built because we need more stuff to hide behind and get cover while running between the buildings. Also, I just bought some floor isolation styrofoam and wanted to try out carving it. I like it a lot even now, I can't wait to get better at it!

Then we have a stables:

My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 P4270016

My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 P4270015

I didn't make this one personally, as another guy at the club did it. However, I painted it. There's still some work to be done, but it's getting there.

My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 P4270014

This farmers house got some more paint on it

My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 P4270017

And finally a badly blurred picture of the village this far. It's still far from what we want, but it's getting there.
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Apr 2009 - 9:09

Very cool! The small village looks great already! A really great project! Keep it up! bounce
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Apr 2009 - 12:29

Ah, a serene pastoral village, soon to be BURNED TO THE GROUND by THIRST CRAZED GOBLINS looking for Poland Springs. Suspect
Talented & prolific are two fine qualities in a modeler/painter, AND you seem to have an abundance of both [I HATE you Suspect ]. VERY nice looking terrain; VERY WELL DONE! thumbsup
Only kidding about hating you...I think. Deaf Nala Smiley
Back to top Go down
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Apr 2009 - 13:11

I expect a battle-report with pictures! Really great stuff!
Back to top Go down
Scallen
Warrior
Warrior
Scallen

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Apr 2009 - 15:40

This Village is really cool.
I want to build this for my own,...

But I miss one thing, TREES!!!
More trees, bamboo ans plants.

How about a bamboograve?
Back to top Go down
lilljonas
Champion
Champion
lilljonas

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Apr 2009 - 16:09

I've been thinking about bamboo. I think the stems could easily be done with bbq sticks, but how should I make the leafs? Unlike the things that Woodland Scenics etc. carry I can't find anything to make the iconic light brush-like greenery on bamboo.

My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 17_bamboo_forest

EDIT: unless I find anything better, I'll try this: http://www.warfactory.co.uk/scenery/bamboo.php

I'm not so gung ho about how it turned out, but I have some ideas how to change it.
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Trading Reputation : 12

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Apr 2009 - 16:44

Excellent buildings lilljonas! Thanks for posting those gems!

DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Apr 2009 - 17:22

For alternate foliage check out the floral section of a good craft store like Michaels. Deaf Nala Smiley
Back to top Go down
lilljonas
Champion
Champion
lilljonas

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Apr 2009 - 23:27

Sorry, I live in a country without Michaels, so no luck there. You yanks have it easy! Smile
Back to top Go down
MagnoliaFan
Warlord
Warlord
MagnoliaFan

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Apr 2009 - 10:49

Your stuff looks great! cool that you can move inside the buildings. I know that in the lustria rule book is a article about making bamboo, I think they used clump foilage on bbq sticks, maby there is still a article somewhere on the gw site?
Good luck!
Back to top Go down
lilljonas
Champion
Champion
lilljonas

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 1 May 2009 - 9:30

I found some floor isolation styrofoam, so I thought I'd take a stab at carving rock out of it. It was surprisingly difficult to do, and I still think the original shape is far too obvious, but then I still have the "throw lots of greenery at it to conceal things" phase left, so here's to hoping!

My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 P4290020

My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 P4290019

My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 P4290021

The idea was to make a watchhouse with multiple ways to approach and good firing positions. But if someone gets close, they can sneak underneath the house so they can't be fired at.
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 1 May 2009 - 9:47

Wow! Shocked Impressive scenery at impressive speed! Very cool! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
lilljonas
Champion
Champion
lilljonas

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 1 May 2009 - 9:52

cianty wrote:
Wow! Shocked Impressive scenery at impressive speed! Very cool! thumbsup

I found the Antenociti store through your blog, so yesterday I received a bunch of cool things to kick up my terrain building a notch. Much gracias. Smile I'm going away for a week or so so it'll have to wait, but after that I'll be pimping out my houses with sacks of foodstuff, barrels and greenery, and I also have 16 oz of water effects to play around with! Hmm.... carp ponds....
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 1 May 2009 - 10:20

Cool. I'm glad when the tons of links I put up there are useful for others. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   My alternative Japanese Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My alternative Japanese Mordheim
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next