Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Painting names on bases.....

Go down 
+2
Identity
squattingmouse
6 posters
AuthorMessage
squattingmouse
General
General
squattingmouse

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: none

Painting names on bases..... Empty
PostSubject: Painting names on bases.....   Painting names on bases..... Icon_minitimeThu 16 Apr 2009 - 22:30

This is something I wish to do but have some questions. Are these all painted freehand or is there more of system going on somehow? I'm particularly jealous of Skavenblight's naming of bases with her Averlanders which you can see here. I've had a look for letter by letter transfers but can't find any small enough.

Any offers?
Back to top Go down
http://squattingmouse.tabletopgeeks.com/
Identity
Elder
Elder
Identity

Trading Reputation : -2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Painting names on bases.....   Painting names on bases..... Icon_minitimeFri 17 Apr 2009 - 1:25

I've seen tiny letter templates sold in craft stores before (Michael's here in the US). It's just a plastic sheet with the shapes of letters missing so you can paint a clean letter using a brush or spray. I'd guess you have something similar over there.

All of the named bases I've seen here on TBMF appear to have been painted freehand. I imagine with a little bit of practice you can get relatively clean lettering. The best part is that since it's freehand on a flat surface, if you mess up, you can just paint over it and try again.
Back to top Go down
Exarch Thomo
Knight
Knight
Exarch Thomo

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Painting names on bases.....   Painting names on bases..... Icon_minitimeFri 17 Apr 2009 - 7:30

I don't know about transfers, I think anything that small would be too annoying for me to use, clumsy git that I am.

However, I have had success with painting it freehand - the trick is to use just the tip of the brush, and make sure your paint is nicely watered down, thin enough to easily spread yet not too thin that it doesn't stick. And also to not try and write the whole letter in one go, break it down into individul strokes, for example an A would be one stroke down at an angle, another at the opposite angle, and a horizontal stroke ( like / \ -), or an S would be broken into 3 angled strokes.

Alternatively, there are very fine point paint pens available, and I know there are a lot of people that use them instead, and it's a lot easier to write on than it is to paint on, so that could be another avenue to pursue.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Painting names on bases.....   Painting names on bases..... Icon_minitimeFri 17 Apr 2009 - 10:47

Lettering is REALLY not that difficult to master, AND it will prove to be a VERY useful skill to acquire. A couple of things to remember:
Don't use a long bristled brush.
Count the number of letters AND spaces; start your lettering in the middle & letter in both directions from the center letter/space.
Practicing on a piece of card or paper is a good idea; it will give you a feel for the beasty.
Since the base will be handled frequently, be sure to apply a protective finish,

With a little belief in your abilities, you CAN do just about anything you put your mind & hand to...well maybe NOT flying off the roof under your own power, but otherwise... Deaf Nala Smiley thumbsup
Back to top Go down
darthblud
Warrior
Warrior
darthblud

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Painting names on bases.....   Painting names on bases..... Icon_minitimeFri 17 Apr 2009 - 12:56

Back to top Go down
Ash
General
General
Ash

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Painting names on bases.....   Painting names on bases..... Icon_minitimeSat 18 Apr 2009 - 1:23

I've hand painted lettering myself, but why not just get a fine point sharpie? It's not like it's cheating or something, use the right tool for the right job!
Back to top Go down
squattingmouse
General
General
squattingmouse

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Painting names on bases.....   Painting names on bases..... Icon_minitimeSat 18 Apr 2009 - 19:59

Managed to find a chalk paint pen. Has the advantage of wiping off with a damp cotton wool bud and showing up nicely on my black base edging. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
Back to top Go down
http://squattingmouse.tabletopgeeks.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Painting names on bases.....   Painting names on bases..... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Painting names on bases.....
Page 1 of 1