Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

And more newbie questions

Go down 
+4
Horatius
Eliazar
cianty
Elmoth
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Elmoth
Champion
Champion
Elmoth

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: none

And more newbie questions Empty
PostSubject: And more newbie questions   And more newbie questions Icon_minitimeWed 12 Nov 2008 - 17:36

Seems like those are prolific in the last days here! Wink

I have 4 of the buggers Smile

1) LUCKY CHARM:
Is the lucky charm auto-working (nor roll involved) or do you require a 4+ to use it? In the rulebook reads auto, but I have read it to work on a 4+ only somewhere....

2) ROUT VOLUNTARILY
Same as above. Rulebook reads that you can do that when 2 guys are down. Somehwere I read that it requires 25% to be down. In the later case basically it means that you can auto-fail the leadership test

3) SPELLS & SHOOTING
Can you cast a spell AND shoot in the same shooting phase?

4) DEPLOYMENT
Can you chose to deploy LESS members than your band's usual number? Say, 4 guys, so you rout on a single casualty?

Thanks Smile

CHeers,

Xavi
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: And more newbie questions   And more newbie questions Icon_minitimeWed 12 Nov 2008 - 18:21

Elmoth wrote:
1) LUCKY CHARM:
Is the lucky charm auto-working (nor roll involved) or do you require a 4+ to use it? In the rulebook reads auto, but I have read it to work on a 4+ only somewhere....

This has been officially errata'ed so the charm now works only on a roll of 4+. This can be found in the Rules Review

Elmoth wrote:
2) ROUT VOLUNTARILY
Same as above. Rulebook reads that you can do that when 2 guys are down. Somehwere I read that it requires 25% to be down. In the later case basically it means that you can auto-fail the leadership test

Yeah, the 2 models is the official ruling. Tuomas suggested in an early Town Cryer that this could be house ruled to be 25% instead to prevent players fromm freely routing just to get the "suvives" XP and gold crowns. In my group we never allow voluntary routing after so few losses. It's pathetic. Smile

Elmoth wrote:
3) SPELLS & SHOOTING
Can you cast a spell AND shoot in the same shooting phase?

No. Have a look at the Magic chapter of the rulebook. It should be stated there.

Elmoth wrote:
4) DEPLOYMENT
Can you chose to deploy LESS members than your band's usual number? Say, 4 guys, so you rout on a single casualty?

Never heard of this. It surely isn't meant to be allowed and, in fact, it's such a weird suggestion (no offence!) that the designers didn't think they'd need to cover this (I know I wouldn't have).
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: And more newbie questions   And more newbie questions Icon_minitimeWed 12 Nov 2008 - 18:30

Elmoth wrote:
4) DEPLOYMENT

I think you can. However, the members that did not participate won't get any XP for surviving. And I think I would rule that heroes that did not participate may not search for wyrdstone etc.
Back to top Go down
Horatius
Warlord
Warlord
Horatius

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: And more newbie questions   And more newbie questions Icon_minitimeWed 12 Nov 2008 - 18:32

The answer to some of your question lies in the fact that the printed rulebook is not the newest version, several changes have been made since its print. The online version of the rulebook (living rules) has the correct / newest version of the rules. The rules review also changed / clarified some rules (incorporated into the lrb). You can download both directly from the GW homepage.

1) Lucky charm was changed and now only works on a 4+.
2) Voluntary routs are now only possible after 25% losses (e.g. when you have to test anyway).
3) No (p40: A wizard may cast one spell per turn and may not use missile weapons if he
wants to cast a spell.)
4) I have no idea. I haven´t found anything in the rules that forces you to deploy your entire warband although i´d say that the spirit of the rules kind of assumes that you deploy them all unless the scenario specifies something else. But that is only my feeling / interpretation of the rules. Not deploying them opens a whole new can of worms: What happens to your warband rating? How about underdog bonus? Do you caculate your rout number from all models or only those deployed? etc. etc.
Back to top Go down
Elmoth
Champion
Champion
Elmoth

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: And more newbie questions   And more newbie questions Icon_minitimeWed 12 Nov 2008 - 18:38

Yup. that can of worms is what made me post this. A friend of mine suggested deploying 3 dogs and 1 hero so he got a load of XP just because he was there while a dog died. Sounde dweird, but couldn't find a rule to contradict his idea....

Xavi
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: And more newbie questions   And more newbie questions Icon_minitimeWed 12 Nov 2008 - 19:11

Elmoth wrote:
Yup. that can of worms is what made me post this. A friend of mine suggested deploying 3 dogs and 1 hero so he got a load of XP just because he was there while a dog died. Sounde dweird, but couldn't find a rule to contradict his idea....

Xavi

IF this would be allowed, then this would grant only one XP anyways: +1 for surviving the battle for the Hero. Models that don't participate don't get XP. If you suffer Serious Injuries e.g. and must miss the next 3 battles, you obviously won't be getting +1 XP for surving each of those missed battles. So models volunatrily missing a battle wouldn't earn any XP for the same reason. They didn't learn anything. Otherwise I'd have all my warband members say: "Yo, I got a brotha down in Khemri who's fightin' dozens o' battles a day, so watch me level up while I'm here sitting at a bar in Marienburg". WTF?! Suspect
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: And more newbie questions   And more newbie questions Icon_minitimeWed 12 Nov 2008 - 19:16

Where would I be able to find these reviewed rules? We only have a rather aged and worn copy of the Mordheim (original version I presume) and would like to learn more. study
Back to top Go down
Elmoth
Champion
Champion
Elmoth

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: And more newbie questions   And more newbie questions Icon_minitimeWed 12 Nov 2008 - 19:20

There is also the band rating. Wouldn't that change if only 3 dogs and a hero are deployed vs a full enemy warband? That was the idea of why this would makw the hero level up faster than usual
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: And more newbie questions   And more newbie questions Icon_minitimeWed 12 Nov 2008 - 19:32

Illanair wrote:
Where would I be able to find these reviewed rules? We only have a rather aged and worn copy of the Mordheim (original version I presume) and would like to learn more. study

Mordheim Rules Review (PDF download)

See this page: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?community=&catId=cat1290322&categoryId=1100010&aId=5300009
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: And more newbie questions   And more newbie questions Icon_minitimeWed 12 Nov 2008 - 20:18

Elmoth wrote:

If someone wanted to do this in my (not existing) group, I'd prefer not to play at all.
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: And more newbie questions   And more newbie questions Icon_minitimeWed 12 Nov 2008 - 20:28

Eliazar wrote:
Elmoth wrote:

If someone wanted to do this in my (not existing) group, I'd prefer not to play at all.

Amen. Smile
Back to top Go down
Duce
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
Duce

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: And more newbie questions   And more newbie questions Icon_minitimeWed 12 Nov 2008 - 20:50

scratch did Cianty just go into ghetto speak for his example of a guy talking to his friend about his friend having loads of battles.... my god the worlds gone mad! lol!

Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: And more newbie questions   And more newbie questions Icon_minitimeWed 12 Nov 2008 - 21:05

Duce wrote:
scratch did Cianty just go into ghetto speak for his example of a guy talking to his friend about his friend having loads of battles.... my god the worlds gone mad! lol!

Well, I don't imagine my Mordheim adventurers to speak like poets - they certainly don't fight like poets.
Back to top Go down
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: And more newbie questions   And more newbie questions Icon_minitimeWed 12 Nov 2008 - 21:49

4) If someone really tries this then they need to find a new hobby. I have been involved with Mordheim since it started and anyone who would try this is a very very beardy player. The game was intended for people to play their warbands, unless they have serious injuries that prevent it.
Back to top Go down
Elmoth
Champion
Champion
Elmoth

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: And more newbie questions   And more newbie questions Icon_minitimeWed 12 Nov 2008 - 22:55

Ok, thanks for the answers Smile I didn't think the answer would be THAT strong (even if I suspected that it would go along these lines). Copy-pasting these answers in MSN was easy to change his attitude lol!

Besides, there doesn't seem to be any provision except to field the whole warband, so there we go.

Cheers,

Xavi
Back to top Go down
Drud
Hero
Hero
Drud

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: And more newbie questions   And more newbie questions Icon_minitimeMon 17 Nov 2008 - 12:18

Even though we've already established that it's not possible to do it:

Elmoth wrote:
There is also the band rating. Wouldn't that change if only 3 dogs and a hero are deployed vs a full enemy warband? That was the idea of why this would makw the hero level up faster than usual

The warband rating would be unchanged. Just as when you have a hero missing a game he still counts towards rating. The warband rating is a measure of how known/famous/infamous your warband is - not a measure of actual combat strength.

[Exactly why you learn more from killing famous people, I still haven't figured out.]
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: And more newbie questions   And more newbie questions Icon_minitimeMon 17 Nov 2008 - 12:51

Drud wrote:
The warband rating would be unchanged. Just as when you have a hero missing a game he still counts towards rating.

Exactly.

Drud wrote:
The warband rating is a measure of how known/famous/infamous your warband is - not a measure of actual combat strength.

Nope, the warband rating is meant to represent just that: the power of the warband.

Living Rulebook, page 77 wrote:
Each warband has a warband rating – the higher the rating the better the warband. ... Hopefully your warband rating will go up, signifying your increase in power!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: And more newbie questions   And more newbie questions Icon_minitimeMon 17 Nov 2008 - 13:42

Da Bank wrote:
4) If someone really tries this then they need to find a new hobby. I have been involved with Mordheim since it started and anyone who would try this is a very very beardy player. The game was intended for people to play their warbands, unless they have serious injuries that prevent it.

HEY, I'm a Very Beardy old person/player & I wouldn't stoop to ANYTHING that cheesy.
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: And more newbie questions   And more newbie questions Icon_minitimeMon 17 Nov 2008 - 13:53

DeafNala wrote:
HEY, I'm a Very Beardy old person/player & I wouldn't stoop to ANYTHING that cheesy.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: And more newbie questions   And more newbie questions Icon_minitimeMon 17 Nov 2008 - 23:49

Too funny Deafnala
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: And more newbie questions   And more newbie questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

And more newbie questions
Page 1 of 1