Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Themes and Fluff

Go down 
+5
Ashton
Admin Tom
Axel
Erkwin
Solinan
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Solinan
Hero
Hero

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: None

Themes and Fluff Empty
PostSubject: Themes and Fluff   Themes and Fluff Icon_minitimeTue 27 Nov 2007 - 10:23

I do so love Themes and Fluff, and use alot of time thinking up these for warbands (I just have problems with using them myself Rolling Eyes )

So my quest is making a thread with themes and ideas so people can get ideas to their own warbands.

This might not be effectful in the game, but fluffy.

Please post yours.

Name: Wyrdstone Hunters
Fluff :
Having heard that wyrdstone contains the most powerful magic in the old world, the Hunters have gathered a powerhungry group of people to seek for the ultimative source of power. Lead by the articulate leader, seeking out the power of magic to controle peoples minds so he can gather more wyrdstone. The rugged mob of people brings every type of profession.
Playstile:
Leader needs access to academic skill so he can get, Battle Tongue, and all the magic skills so he can cast some magic around.
Hero types: Drunken brawler, Knife fighter (johan copy), Acrobat (speedy wyrdstone grabber) and so on.
Injuries just make these guys more fun, and the stereotipical people, just makes the warband more diverse but still focused (and you might use skills you usually wouldent use).
Hired swords fit very well into this group.
Warbands: Any mercenary warband works well in this catagory.

Skaven Cults
Fluff:
Look in the skaven armybook, Skyre/Pestilence/Moulder
Playstile Pestilence:
Use alot of Flails, Skills: Resilient, Fearsome and step aside (fowl smell make you miss)
Playstile Moulder:
LOTS of "Slaves", rats and an ogre.
Playstile Skyre:
Get weapons expert in shooting skills, and buy handguns, rats with handguns must rule.
Very fast written down but change "unit" names, use the imagination and you can make it work.
Warband: Skaven of course
Hiredswords: hmm, not many fit in, but they dont need it...

more to come please post yourself... Smile
Back to top Go down
Erkwin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Erkwin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned: none

Themes and Fluff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Themes and Fluff   Themes and Fluff Icon_minitimeTue 27 Nov 2007 - 15:18

A great topic(two thumps up Laughing )

What about an order of emperial knights, who send a scout troop to Mordheim?

Any Mercanary band should work, but I would take Marienburger(an order of knights sure is richer than most of the common warbands in Mordheim) or Middenheimer(the leaders and champions are stronger, as they have had more practice in their life).

The warband should consist of a low ranked knight(Captain), and two bodyguards/militia leaders(champions).
The rest should represent villagers and local militias.

The Captain has to buy armour(light or heavy). This Could be hard in the beginning of the campagne, but I think is is a "must be". He should be equipped with a sword, and no ranged weapon(a knight never uses a bow in a battle).
He should choose from combat skills and maybe battle tongue.

The champions are bodyguards, as said above, so they should get some strength skills first.

Some Bretonnies for the henchmen would make them look really like followers of a knight.
Back to top Go down
Axel
General
General
Axel

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

Themes and Fluff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Themes and Fluff   Themes and Fluff Icon_minitimeThu 13 Dec 2007 - 16:47

a Question what is fluff

rabbit

Axel
Back to top Go down
Erkwin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Erkwin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

Themes and Fluff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Themes and Fluff   Themes and Fluff Icon_minitimeThu 13 Dec 2007 - 19:04

Fluff can be the background of an army or a short story describing why they are fighting, where they come from etc.
It is something you create for not only having something you can play with, but also for having something to write strorys about.
Hope this gives you an idea Wink
Back to top Go down
Axel
General
General
Axel

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

Themes and Fluff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Themes and Fluff   Themes and Fluff Icon_minitimeFri 14 Dec 2007 - 15:31

ok tnx will think 'bout it santa
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Trading Reputation : 12

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

Themes and Fluff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Themes and Fluff   Themes and Fluff Icon_minitimeFri 14 Dec 2007 - 16:16

Fluff is basically all the background information about what your models represent that brings them to "life".
Back to top Go down
http://boringmordheimblog.blogspot.com
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

Themes and Fluff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Themes and Fluff   Themes and Fluff Icon_minitimeMon 7 Jan 2008 - 17:34

Disgruntled Rats

Story: This story begins with a disgruntled gang of rats creating a some mischief in their home town. And when they were caught gnawing off the support beams to an important section of tunnel, they were invited (or kicked out) to Mordheim. This group of Skaven have no love for authority... or anyone for that matter. They've been wronged (in their minds) by anyone and everyone, and vengeance is sweet.

Angry Rats...

(Okay that was the first thing that came to my mind... and it kind of sux... I'll keep thinking Very Happy) Evil or Very Mad

(EDIT: Yea... looking back at this... it needs a lot of work lol)

Last edited by on Sun 17 Feb 2008 - 20:31; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://mordheim.ashtonsanders.com
Yorik
Champion
Champion
Yorik

Personal Info

Themes and Fluff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Themes and Fluff   Themes and Fluff Icon_minitimeMon 7 Jan 2008 - 22:26

I would fancy a group of fanatics. One hero is a charismatic doomsday priest, rest are fanatics(with some dark elf-like weapons to hurt themselves and others) and for henchmen zealots and suicide bombers. The Leader would be a mad technicus who can arm them with experimental devices(which tend to blow up because they are powered by wyrdstone) and was kicked out of the guild(for blowing it up?) and fled to mordheim(because of the wyrdstone).

How does that sound?
Back to top Go down
Solinan
Hero
Hero

Personal Info

Themes and Fluff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Themes and Fluff   Themes and Fluff Icon_minitimeThu 24 Jan 2008 - 7:54

Cool to see alot of ideas, no idea is bad, its all inspiration.

Just had a new idea, a Thives Guild.

Extensive use of crossbow pistols, poison and throwing daggers.
Get skills like, step aside, expert swordsman, knife-fighter and every single speed skill in the book...

No "heavy weapons", maces or axes, no heavy armour.

Semi ninjas, johann the blade wannabees...

Have also thought about, using mercenaries for a chaos worshipping warband. Trying to obtain chaos warrior status.

No mutants or possessed, just pure hatred/passion to gain power.

This is a pretty plain idea, leveling up normally, no special rules...

Ultimativly wanting some nice stats, Chaos armor (gromril armour), insane prowess (skills).

just another idea, then using the "plain" empire models... going from the mordheim brethren to the mighty chaos warrior models...
Back to top Go down
Yorik
Champion
Champion
Yorik

Personal Info

Themes and Fluff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Themes and Fluff   Themes and Fluff Icon_minitimeSun 17 Feb 2008 - 20:16

I really do like the thieves guild idea. In my opinion there should be more human warbands for mordheim. While it's nice to see that the other races are getting warbands too, the main focus of warhammer(and mordheim) is the empire, and thus the humans, and in some lesser degree the halflings(why is there no mootland-warband anyway? those buggers are resistant to chaos and love money, so why are they not in mordheim?) and dwarfs.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info

Themes and Fluff Empty
PostSubject: God, But I LOVE This Site   Themes and Fluff Icon_minitimeSun 13 Apr 2008 - 15:56

THE ALL NEW [All Singing, All Dancing] WAR BAND OF WASTREL McWHACK, aka THE RED BROTHERS:

It's been quite awhile since I was fortunate enough to be able to game on a regular basis, but this enforced absence from the gaming scene has served at least one useful function. In reminscing about past war games one thing comes across very cleary in my admittedly befuddled old mind: winning & lossing become rather meaningless; it's the theatrical little moments that live on in memory. Fluff is the thing that transforms this from merely a game to something much grander.

I've been browsing my way through just about every article on THE BLOG [for me this is THE BLOG][i] & getting increasing more enthusiatic as I go along. Now I've started to take a second look at the Night Goblins I'd lovingly got together a year or so ago. I've got quite a few done [2,500 point or so]. The thought is about how I could take these little buggers & their backstory & transport it to a skirmish/warbands level. The answer is it would be pretty easy & very cool & would allow me to game, if only on a solo basis, on a variety of levels.

A side note: in the preview for the Beastmen's army book, Gav Thorpe made the assertion that he thought of said Beasties to be like ancient Germans & Orks as Scots. Soooo........if Orks are Scots, then Goblins must be Irish. Ergo I've given all my Goblin units & heroes Irish sounding names.

Background: The Night Goblins of Wastrel McWhack have courageously thrown of the shackles of their oppressive Ork Overlords [read they snuck out while the big guys weren't looking], marched boldly [slunk through the night] through the Empire, seized a former Sigmarite Monastery [it was deserted & no one was around] turning it into "The Magic Mushroom Brewery" [name may change].

As folk started returning to the area they found the old Monastery reinhabited by this group of red cowled monkish sorts, who were selling this wonderfully powerful beverage. The Night Golblins have been dubbed the Red Brothers of the Wondrous Libation [no one seems to have noticed they are of a somewhat unusual coloration; could be the hoods or the brew]. Caravans of the Wondrous Libation regularly depart now for the thirsty [& increasingly addicted] adventuring villages surrounding Mordheim.

Along with more well documented effects, some of the Night Goblins have become quite large, as big if not bigger than Orks, which has given the admitedly scrawny Goblins some muscle [using all those extra Goblin heads in combination with Ork parts creates the Uber Goblin]. These Uber Goblin Bands are now venturing bravely [stoned out of their little Green minds] into the City of the Damned for gold, glory, & a posible new market for the hooch. There goes the neighborhood.

Addendum: Now that the existence of the Night Goblin list has come to my befuddled attention [I only noticed gravity recently]. The Uber Goblins are no longer necessary; of course, I've already done up two, so they may see action as a couple of "bosses". Doig these guys up in an efficient manner, the first thing I painted up was the Troll [Ghastly McGoon] (sigh). drunken

Note: When there are no Orcs about, Night Goblins worship Maude: Goddess of the Moon & Mushrooms, Patroness of Night Goblins [& Squigs, Bats, & Rats], & Mother/Stister/Short Order Cook to Gork & Mork depending on who your listening to. thumbsup

Last edited by DeafNala on Tue 13 May 2008 - 13:08; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Boehm
General
General
Boehm

Personal Info

Themes and Fluff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Themes and Fluff   Themes and Fluff Icon_minitimeSun 13 Apr 2008 - 16:01

a cool and fun idea pirat
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info

Themes and Fluff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Themes and Fluff   Themes and Fluff Icon_minitimeSun 13 Apr 2008 - 16:53

Good work, DeafNala. I like it a lot. Very fun, and a great base for further development.
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

Themes and Fluff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Themes and Fluff   Themes and Fluff Icon_minitimeMon 21 Apr 2008 - 23:13

Ok I have one!

Leopold's Lepers
This is actually a clan Moulder skaven warband (you can use the regular or plague monk list). In order to further infiltrate human settlements, the ingenious minds on the council of 13 have thought up a dastardly plan. Wearing completely concealing robes they pose as a colony of lepers and their caretakers and bodyguards. The true leader is obviously a Skaven but Leopold, one of the many hired swords, acts as his speaker when dealing with the man-things. This will allow the ratmen to walk amongst men and further spread plague and disease! All the hired swords were actually former slaves of the skaven and have been given this relative freedom, safety from clan Moulder contamination (or so they think), and hefty compensation in return for keeping the charade going and supplying the ratmen with a constant stream of warpstone.

Obviously this warband would be a small group of Skaven heroes to maximize profit, all of which would towards hired swords, without which they would surely be discovered as the mutated monsters they are. I am not sure how many hired swords are available to Skaven so maybe this idea won't work!

Edit: I looked it up, Skaven can only hire the warlock and witch so this idea will not work very well.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

Themes and Fluff Empty
PostSubject: Themes and Fluff   Themes and Fluff Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr 2008 - 13:24

lol! I love it: Leopold's Lepers.
It's worth raising just for the name. The Warlock could pose as a Priest & the Witch as a Nun from the Order of Our Lady of Disgusting Maladies. What a Great Idea. I salute you. Sir, yes sir!
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

Themes and Fluff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Themes and Fluff   Themes and Fluff Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr 2008 - 16:19

Great idea DeafNala, for the priest and nun poseurs, truly completes my idea. I am actually tempted to start this as my next warband!
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info

Themes and Fluff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Themes and Fluff   Themes and Fluff Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr 2008 - 18:49

Hahah. That is definitely hilarious. Good work.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

Themes and Fluff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Themes and Fluff   Themes and Fluff Icon_minitimeThu 8 May 2008 - 14:33

This came to me while browsing my way through the incredible Flame-on stuff [again]. If you hate it, it's all WarbossKurgan's fault [I was in Swtzerland at the time].

Captain Squidbeard's Barnacle [encrusted] Boys: Sailing before arcane winds, the Black Rose prowls her way beneath the seas; her foul crew of sea-possessed mariners damned to a unlife of ceaseless wandering in search of treasure & more souls to join the undying crew From Hell [sorry, I'm just a From Hell kind of guy].

I picture the crew as being a rather Davy Jonesish ala Pirates of the Caribbean looking group of miscreants;i.e., barnacles, sea-life mutations, lead by a tenacle faced tyrant of a Captain [Armorcast has a new mini appropriately named Squidbeard of Dwarfish stature which would be perfect for the role]. The ship itsel could be represented by the crow's nest & some trailing rigging on a water effect base.

The Barnacle Boys would be a normal mercenary warband, just incredibly ugly, or possessed, if you're a Foul Servant of Chaos kind of guy/gal. Their mission is to scour the seas [& the harbor towns] in search of booty & fresh recruits [normal pirate agenda].

I think I'll get an order out to Armorcast when finances [or a bank job] permit, ARRRH!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Themes and Fluff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Themes and Fluff   Themes and Fluff Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Themes and Fluff
Page 1 of 1