Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

The Dead do not Sleep!

Go down 
+2
DeafNala
mariner2011
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mariner2011
Captain
Captain
mariner2011

Trading Reputation : 0

The Dead do not Sleep! Empty
PostSubject: The Dead do not Sleep!   The Dead do not Sleep! Icon_minitimeThu 27 Jun 2019 - 20:42

Howdy gang!

So we played a custom scenario I'd made up called, "The Dead do not Sleep", in which if a warrior came within 12" of a mausoleum, a ghoul sprung out to protect the Cooper's deceased Guildmaster Von Rechtor and his Necronomicon! We treated the barriers of the cemetery as impassible except through the entrances...which I think definitely played into my buddy Jeff and his Children of the Damned's favor. Admittedly, the movement of the ghouls was definitely finnicky, and we wasted well over 45 minutes during the game discussing where one would move, where it could and couldn't move, etc...so definitely tricky. For the rules, see:

https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t9190-scenarios-for-my-campaign

Below you can see the deployment. (Please note, the bare bases are 'giant rats' that my Sorcerer, Tim, had summoned prior to the battle!).
Pete-Sneak and his Blackcloaks, spreading thin and wide on the flanks. I'd hoped to really concentrate on the flanks, hammer the ghouls with slings and then scamper in for the loot!

The Dead do not Sleep! Tumbl115
The Dead do not Sleep! Tumbl116
The Dead do not Sleep! Tumbl114

Jeff (Helmut) deployed his Witch Hunters on the second story of the Counting House to pick off ghouls with his Xbows, and move into the cemetery in two groups; one on the right flank of the board by the Klausner house, and the other straight into the cemetery.

The Dead do not Sleep! Tumbl118
The Dead do not Sleep! Tumbl117
The Dead do not Sleep! Tumbl119
The Dead do not Sleep! Tumbl121
The Dead do not Sleep! Tumbl120

TURN 1

Unleashing the hounds, Helmut sent one scurrying off to the right flank and another towards the cemetery to trigger the ghouls. Elsewhere, the warband halted, biding their time while the Witch Hunters, taking aim, missed all three of their shots on the ghouls.

The Dead do not Sleep! Tumbl122
The Dead do not Sleep! Tumbl123

Sneaky and Squeaky, seeing their chance and using Sprint, moved a total of 18" to the alleyway by the Temple!

The Dead do not Sleep! Tumbl124

Elsewhere, the magical giant rats skittered forward, triggering a ghoul. Taking aim, the Throat Slittas stunned it in the noggin! The rest of the Blackcloaks took up positons on their left flank, hoping to intercede and overwhelm the right flank of the Witch Hunters.

The Dead do not Sleep! Tumbl126
The Dead do not Sleep! Tumbl125
The Dead do not Sleep! Tumbl127

TURN 2

The witch hunters surged forth and were met by a leaping ghoul from the main gate of the cemetery. One of the flagellents whirled his flail around, knocking the ghoul down. Assisted by another crazed flagellent, Helmut parried the clumsy talons of a thirsty ghoul and cut him down on the flat of its back!

The Dead do not Sleep! Tumbl129
The Dead do not Sleep! Tumbl128

Watching the zealots distracted, Sneaky and Squeaky saw their opportunity and surged into the cemetery. Squeaky rolled a 4, immediately discovering the Necronomicon within von Rechtor's tomb! Buoyed in confidence at the find (and having Charles the Black Skaven and Sneaky nearby), Squeaky felt his chest swell under his jerkin.
The giant rats, sensing flesh, all attacked the ghoul who'd ran out of the cemetery towards them...to no avail. On the left, the rest of the warband desperately sprinted forwards to take up better firing positions and rush around to the other side of the cemetery.

The Dead do not Sleep! Tumbl131
The Dead do not Sleep! Tumbl130
The Dead do not Sleep! Tumbl132

TURN 3

Seeing an opportunity for flesh, more ghouls sprang forth from their musty tombs...charging flagellent and skaven alike. Sneaky parried a blow and with a swift riposte knocked a ghoul down, while the Warrior Priest and a host of flagellents charged into a knot of three ghouls.

Meanwhile, Pete-Sneak saw his hated foe, Helmut Volker, striding towards Pete-Sneak's favored pupil, Squeaky. With a snarl (and not without a small squirt of fear-musk), charged forth. With both claws gripped firmly in his hand, he squeezed the triggers and put two green-glowing holes in Helmut's chest, taking him out of the game!
Pete-sneak wasn't fast enough, however, as warhounds circled in to engage Squeaky and prevent him from fleeing the board with his newfound treasure.

The Dead do not Sleep! Tumbl133
The Dead do not Sleep! Tumbl134

TURN 4

Turn four saw the more and more ghouls begin to reappear in the midst of the skaven...Pete-Sneak, swollen with pride and no small amount of hubris at killing Helmut, charged out with his daggers at the warhound, only to fall to its slavering jaws...
Charles, seeing his leader fall, squirted the musk of fear and turned to run, only to be dragged down by ghoul he had been facing.
Squeaky, having dispatched his ghoul, turned to flee only to be intercepted by the Warrior Priest. Hefting his hammer, the venerable cleric swung his hammer far overhead, only for Squeaky to parry the blow and knock the man-thing down. Too late, however, more warhounds charged in for the kill.
On the other side of the cemetery, the flagellents continued their bloody work of hacking through ghouls, while the rest of the Black Cloaks desperately sprinted forwards to try and rescue Squeaky.

With the fall of Pete-Sneak, the rat-men turned their beady eyes towards Skarsnik on the flank for leadership...rolling a 6 for my rout test. The Cloaks would fight on!

The Dead do not Sleep! Tumbl137
The Dead do not Sleep! Tumbl136
The Dead do not Sleep! Tumbl135
The Dead do not Sleep! Tumbl138

At this point, libations had been flowing amply - so I apologize for no further pictures- and what I thought had been a good thing of passing further rout tests the next two turns, had really been a butcher's bill for the skaven. The Warrior Priest finally killed Squeaky, stealing the Necronomicon for himself and sprinted away with it in later turns and also grabbing treasure from the other two tombs, while my verminkin began falling like wheat to ghouls in turns 5, 6 and 7.

With a significant help from the ghouls, the Witch Hunters reaped a bloody toll, taking out no less than both Night Runners, my leader Pete-Sneak, and Charles...alongside three verminkin and a giant rat! When we rolled, all save Charles were unscathed (finally, some good luck!). I lost two of the four downed Verminkin, once again...that brings the sum lost minions to 5 for the campaign. Fearsome toll indeed.

Helmut's retinue lost their leader, a flagellent, and a warhound...and all came to full recovery. Having gained enough experience for two rolls, the Warrior Priest now has S4, WS4, and an additional hymn for every game. Added to the power of the Necronomicon (after the Priest blessed it to remove the curses, of course!), this gave Jeff's Priest an ADDITIONAL SPELL, and +1 to spellcasting...rendering three spells total for our last game.

...really not looking forward to seeing what he rolls for hymns next round! All in all it was a great game, Jeff's a great sport and far more tactically minded than I am most of the time.

Now, onto Sewer Rats! and my sewer tile!
Back to top Go down
https://tooly501.tumblr.com/
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: The Dead do not Sleep!   The Dead do not Sleep! Icon_minitimeThu 27 Jun 2019 - 22:06

GREAT report AND WONDERFUL photos! Win or lose, that is a GLORIOUS looking game. OUTSTANDING STUFF! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Harrocks
Warlord
Warlord
Harrocks

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: The Dead do not Sleep!   The Dead do not Sleep! Icon_minitimeFri 28 Jun 2019 - 10:24

great scenario and report, sounds like a lot of fun. I'm not worried about winning a game as long as fun is had - sounds the same for you guys.

And that board ...  cheers
looking forward to the sewer pics.

Last edited by Harrocks on Fri 28 Jun 2019 - 18:22; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Codsticker
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Codsticker

Trading Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: The Dead do not Sleep!   The Dead do not Sleep! Icon_minitimeFri 28 Jun 2019 - 16:33

Great looking game! I look forward to the sewer battle.
Back to top Go down
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

PostSubject: Re: The Dead do not Sleep!   The Dead do not Sleep! Icon_minitimeMon 1 Jul 2019 - 13:23

That seems like a really cool scenario, which I may well be stealing shortly. Also looked like a good fun game, amply illustrating why Skaven should never try to be brave!

Skaven are a really fun warband to play, not least because they're pretty much the only warband where being as beardy & gittish as possible is in character.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: The Dead do not Sleep!   The Dead do not Sleep! Icon_minitimeMon 1 Jul 2019 - 20:00

Great report with really great models and scenery thumbsup thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Dead do not Sleep!   The Dead do not Sleep! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Dead do not Sleep!
Page 1 of 1