Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Dogs and shards.

Go down 
+5
Exarch Thomo
catferret
Da Bank
Ezekiel
Theodeus
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Theodeus
Warrior
Warrior
Theodeus

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Shadow Warriors (Unofficial) Shadow Warriors (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

Dogs and shards. Empty
PostSubject: Dogs and shards.   Dogs and shards. Icon_minitimeThu 30 Oct 2008 - 23:40

This probably has a really simple answer to it, but can wardogs carry shards? It say's that any warrior can carry, but we're confused in my group! What say you?
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverpennies.se
Ezekiel
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Ezekiel

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Merchants (BTB) Merchants (BTB)
Achievements earned: None

Dogs and shards. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs and shards.   Dogs and shards. Icon_minitimeFri 31 Oct 2008 - 0:00

WHERE would they store them?!!?

well, I always say they can't, but a bunch of my fellow players think they can... I don't see dogs as objective aware beings... so I don't like them to carry that stuff.. you need some form of intelligence/greed to calculate the value of carrying around wyrdstone as opposed to having your hands free to bash heads in! haha
Dogs,... they just bite and maul, they don't do trading and economy.

(unless they've got special haggle skills Razz)
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysthconcepts.nl
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

Dogs and shards. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs and shards.   Dogs and shards. Icon_minitimeFri 31 Oct 2008 - 0:48

No, they can't not.

Animals do not gain experience thus can not pick up shards, besides from where would they carry it.
Back to top Go down
catferret
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
catferret

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned:

Dogs and shards. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs and shards.   Dogs and shards. Icon_minitimeFri 31 Oct 2008 - 3:54

Just to play Devil's Advocate; the warband leader could always have given the dog the scent of wyrdstone then told them "fetch!"

I have never had the situation come up in any of my games but I can see a good argument by both sides.

I think I'd personally err on the side of caution and say anything with the "Animal" special rule can't carry a wyrdstone counter. Keeps it nice and simple.
Back to top Go down
Exarch Thomo
Knight
Knight
Exarch Thomo

Personal Info

Dogs and shards. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs and shards.   Dogs and shards. Icon_minitimeFri 31 Oct 2008 - 6:31

Da Bank wrote:
No, they can't not.

Animals do not gain experience thus can not pick up shards, besides from where would they carry it.

I agree that it is a little suspect having animals pick up shards (well, certain animals) but I too feel the need to play devil advocate here.
In particular to the above: Where does it say that they can't? What does gaining experience have to do with the ability to pick up shards?
Back to top Go down
matt
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
matt

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)

Dogs and shards. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs and shards.   Dogs and shards. Icon_minitimeFri 31 Oct 2008 - 7:38

my opion is that they can. he can carry it in his mouth, and he could have been trained to carry it. I don't know though.

Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

Dogs and shards. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs and shards.   Dogs and shards. Icon_minitimeFri 31 Oct 2008 - 9:43

Regardless of whether there is an official rule saying that they cannot: they should not! Otherwise, where would this go?

Next comes the Orcs player demanding that squigs may carry wyrdstones, too.Suspect

In the end the marauders players want their chaos spawns to collect wyrdstones. confused

The animal rule is perfect for drawing a line between humanoid warriors who are capable of all "normal" things and those too animalistic to climb, walk ladders, ... and collect wyrdstones.
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
Anonymous

Dogs and shards. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs and shards.   Dogs and shards. Icon_minitimeFri 31 Oct 2008 - 10:31

cianty wrote:
Next comes the Orcs player demanding that squigs may carry wyrdstones, too.Suspect

* Imagines half of his warband chasing after a berserked squig with Benny Hill music in the background *
Back to top Go down
Exarch Thomo
Knight
Knight
Exarch Thomo

Personal Info

Dogs and shards. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs and shards.   Dogs and shards. Icon_minitimeFri 31 Oct 2008 - 11:32

Oh, don't get me wrong - I am not comfortable with the idea of animals being able to collect shards, just that there is nothing disallowing it, nor even suggesting that they shouldn't be allowed to.
If you base it off the theory that only those models that can gain xp can carry shards, then it is fundamentally flawed. All sorts of creatures that do not gain xp - trolls, rat ogres etc - are more than capable of carrying shards.
Still, your example of squigs carrying shards is somewhat poor. Of all the animals readily available, i think it would be these critters that are most likely to carry them. Why? Because it just seems right...think about it: wee beastie that is all teeth, hunger and bundled fury eating anything it can fit in it's overly large mouth, and shards have the added benefit of being glowy... lol!
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

Dogs and shards. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs and shards.   Dogs and shards. Icon_minitimeFri 31 Oct 2008 - 11:54

I don't think the point is whether they theoretically can carry them, but whether they have the intellectual capabilities to understand such a task.

In the city of Mordheim, there are probably rusty swords, bones and skulls all over the place. Now why should dogs pick up wyrdstones but ignore the bones?
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info

Dogs and shards. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs and shards.   Dogs and shards. Icon_minitimeFri 31 Oct 2008 - 12:47

I could be wrong [it's a speialty with moi Suspect ], but don't most scenarios specify that animals such as War Hounds CAN NOT pick up treasure counters/wyrd stone shards. AND I don't know about you, but I don't think I'd care to have a glowing piece of wyrd stone in MY mouth. Suspect
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info

Dogs and shards. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs and shards.   Dogs and shards. Icon_minitimeFri 31 Oct 2008 - 18:29

cianty wrote:
I don't think the point is whether they theoretically can carry them, but whether they have the intellectual capabilities to understand such a task.
I agree. I know dogs are very smart and can be taught to do crazy-cool things (like rescuing kittens out of a burning building), but I'm pretty sure these dogs are trained to devour everyone who they don't know.

Endless house rule idea: If your group demands that dogs can pick up wyrdstone, I'd say they dogs would have a 1-2 (on a d6) chance of swallowing it and dying of wyrdstone poisoning (unless someone kills him, and steals the stone from his stomach before the end of the game at which point he'd have to spend 1 round.... etc. etc.)

Offtopic:
Da Bank wrote:
No, they can't not.
I just love how you got three "negatives" in one, four-word sentence Wink

DeafNala wrote:
I don't think I'd care to have a glowing piece of wyrd stone in MY mouth. Suspect
hahaha
Back to top Go down
http://mordheim.ashtonsanders.com
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

Dogs and shards. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs and shards.   Dogs and shards. Icon_minitimeFri 31 Oct 2008 - 18:53

Ashton wrote:

Offtopic:
Da Bank wrote:
No, they can't not.
I just love how you got three "negatives" in one, four-word sentence Wink

It had to be three as otherwise he'd be at positive in the end.

As for the wyrdstone in mouth part: I thought the same. I guess the adventurers in Mordheim would wear gloves or something as permanent contact with them sure is not healthy (see Posessed warband). Wardogs carrying wyrdstones around might end up as Warhounds of Chaos (which isn't necessarily bad since they have better stats).
Back to top Go down
Theodeus
Warrior
Warrior
Theodeus

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Shadow Warriors (Unofficial) Shadow Warriors (Unofficial)

Dogs and shards. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs and shards.   Dogs and shards. Icon_minitimeFri 31 Oct 2008 - 19:42

Haha. This was way better than expected! I though I was being the ultimate n00b-LOL-lamer-oh-my-god-go-burry-yourself-and-come-back-when-your-arms-are-starting-to-rott!

DeafNala: We've only played two games so far, both of which has been Wyrdstone hunt. There's only the notion that warriors can carry the shards in the special rules section. Maybe there's some other scenerio (official) that's more specific?

Last edited by Theodeus on Fri 31 Oct 2008 - 19:47; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Theodeus
Warrior
Warrior
Theodeus

Personal Info

Dogs and shards. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs and shards.   Dogs and shards. Icon_minitimeFri 31 Oct 2008 - 19:46

Ah! I found it! In the scenario Treasure hunt in the rulebook it says that "All the warriors (not animals!) know roughly what they are looking for and must search the houses bla bla jada jada". This COULD be interpreted as animals have no idea about shards.
Back to top Go down
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info

Dogs and shards. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs and shards.   Dogs and shards. Icon_minitimeFri 31 Oct 2008 - 22:11

I would have down a quad....something negative if I could have figured it out.

There is enough material to show they don't pick up shards.

The official answer is also they do not.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dogs and shards. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs and shards.   Dogs and shards. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dogs and shards.
Page 1 of 1