Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

River obstacles in the game

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
tbarklay

tbarklay

Trading Reputation : 0

River obstacles in the game Empty
PostSubject: River obstacles in the game   River obstacles in the game Icon_minitimeSun 18 Jun 2017 - 6:21

Hey gamers,

Firstly, I'm brand new to the forum. I played Mordheim a lot between 2003-2008, and I'm just coming back to the hobby after a nearly 10 year hiatus.

I'm thinking about building a multi-level modular game board with a river section, which I notice some members here have done or are in the process of doing.

I was wondering about how these rivers effect the gameplay. are they fair? Do they factor in to the game much?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

PostSubject: Re: River obstacles in the game   River obstacles in the game Icon_minitimeSun 18 Jun 2017 - 8:04

Hallo!

I've played a bit with a narrow river, and found it factored into the game quite a bit, not least because it crossed the centre of the board. Bridges become choke-points, & control of them can seem decisive -- but a river can still be swum, & desperate men will jump right in! So yes, I find they factor into the game, & they're a fun, characterful feature that can really add to the story of a game.

Plus, depending on the size of the river you might want to try the extra swimming & boating rules that have been written. It gives the option at least.

I hope we see some progress on this project -- it sounds grand!
Back to top Go down
tbarklay

tbarklay

PostSubject: Re: River obstacles in the game   River obstacles in the game Icon_minitimeSun 18 Jun 2017 - 12:34

Thanks. Do you think if the river ran to one side of the board, rather than through the centre, it would be a disadvantage for the player starting out on that side?
Back to top Go down
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

PostSubject: Re: River obstacles in the game   River obstacles in the game Icon_minitimeSun 18 Jun 2017 - 12:46

Hmm... Potentially, since they'd probably have to cross it to get anything done. But if we're talking about a river within 12" of one edge of a 4'x4' board, a player who happened to start at that side should be able to cross it before coming under attack, & that sort of obstacle is part of the suffering of the other player choosing board edge anyway! One side will almost always have some advantage, so I don't think it'd be a problem. Plus, I'm interested as to what part it could play when it runs from one deployment area to another.

If it did turn out to be a problem, I'm sure you could put some extra crossings over it for those occasions when it badly disadvantaged one player. Or just house rule it so the stronger warband gets that side!
Back to top Go down
Dreadaxe
Champion
Champion
Dreadaxe

PostSubject: Re: River obstacles in the game   River obstacles in the game Icon_minitimeTue 20 Jun 2017 - 0:04

Empire in Flammes page 14

Empire in Flammes page 14 wrote:
Rivers The Empire is dissected by many huge, fastflowing rivers. These are the lifeblood to the Empire as they bring trade to the bustling cities and act as the major source of transport between them.

To represent how models interact with water these basic rules apply:

Players should establish which way the river is flowing at the start of the game. All rivers count as difficult (or worse) terrain for all models except those considered as aquatic. See Terrain Types previously.

Models swimming with the current will double their base move.

Models swimming against the current of a slow moving river may only move a quarter of their base move, but you may not swim against the current of a fast moving river. Aquatic models suffer no reduction of their base move when swimming against the current of a slow moving river but may not swim against the current of a fast moving river.

Models wearing armour may not attempt to move through any water deeper than shallow. Shields and bucklers do not count for this as they are assumed to be strapped onto backs. If a model wearing armour finds itself in deep water – they are, literally! Each turn the model is in the water it must make a Strength test and, if unsuccessful, is taken out of action.

Aquatic models in water, either swamp, streams or rivers, can elect to be hidden at the discretion of the player. Models cannot move upstream in fast moving rivers without floating transportation, such as a boat or canoe.

Fighting in Water

Most players will find it advantageous to fight around, or actually in, a waterway. We have included some simple rules to cover fighting in water.

If a non-aquatic model is knocked down in a shallow river or stream they are swept downriver D6". Aquatic models that are knocked down will not drift with the current and can still get back into combat the following turn.

If any model is stunned while in shallow water it must make an Initiative test. If it passes, it can be turned over in the following turn. If it fails, it is considered drowned and will be taken out of action. The player will need to roll for injuries at the end of the game. This doesn’t mean that the model is gone for good but is just a bit waterlogged!

Any Undead model that is knocked down in shallow water will recover as normal according the standard Mordheim rules for Undead.

Any model fighting in a shallow stream whilst wearing light armour will be considered out of action if stunned. No Initiative test is to be taken. This does not apply to models whose skin or clothing is considered natural light armour
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: River obstacles in the game   River obstacles in the game Icon_minitimeWed 26 Jul 2017 - 18:32

We do rivers all the time.  In Mordheim we tend to do them as one end of the table.  Check out the scenario Down at the Docks TC #25 for games to play using the terrain.

River obstacles in the game 47a7db36b3127cce98549a09233a00000010100AbOXDRkzbMmWA

Naturally you can do canals...
River obstacles in the game 47a7da07b3127cce98549a49ae9100000010100AbOXDRkzbMmWA

Remember a river runs through Mordheim...
River obstacles in the game 47a7da33b3127cce98549a7d557000000010100AbOXDRkzbMmWA

Pirates!
River obstacles in the game 47a4d936b3127cce98548f03f05100000030110AbOXDRkzbMmWA

You are really only limited by imagination and terrain...
Back to top Go down
ratlizardelfguy
Youngblood
Youngblood
ratlizardelfguy

PostSubject: Re: River obstacles in the game   River obstacles in the game Icon_minitimeFri 22 Sep 2017 - 18:57

Everytime I see marvellous pictures like these, I want to drop all 6 or 7 projects I'm currently working on and start making boats!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: River obstacles in the game   River obstacles in the game Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

River obstacles in the game
Page 1 of 1