Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Campaign Question

Go down 
+2
Duce
CrazyOrc88
6 posters
AuthorMessage
CrazyOrc88
Champion
Champion
CrazyOrc88

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

Campaign Question Empty
PostSubject: Campaign Question   Campaign Question Icon_minitimeSat 25 Oct 2008 - 4:18

Hello, everyone. I have a question about what equipment you can buy during a campaign. I was under the impression that you can arm your men as you wish from your warbands choice of weapons at the beginning of the campaign, but after that you had to use the chart in the rule book. However, I was reading through the pirate rules, and under the rules for the swivel gun, or rather the rules for gunners, there is a part that states:

"If a pirate warband includes a swivel gun, the gunner wielding it is always considered an individual and can never have anyone else with him. Since a pirate warband may only have one swivel gun, if a gunner is equipped with one then he must either be a new gunner or split from an existing unit. If the later he retains all the experience and skills he had previously."

Now to me this makes it seems pretty clearly that you can buy a swivel gun at any time in the campaign. Can anyone clarify this for me? Thanks a lot.
Back to top Go down
Duce
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
Duce

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

Campaign Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Campaign Question   Campaign Question Icon_minitimeSat 25 Oct 2008 - 11:50

As far as I read, when the pirate gets a swivle gun you have to put him in his own henchman group as noone else wants to be in same group as the guy. It can be bought when ever you want i read also (Not sure offhand if its a rare roll)

Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

Campaign Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Campaign Question   Campaign Question Icon_minitimeSat 25 Oct 2008 - 11:51

- Heroes and Henchmen pick their weapons and armour from their respective equipment lists. This lists tell you what the model may use. They may not use other weapons or armour than those.
- Heroes may learn the Weapons Training and Weapons Expert skill allowing them to use other weapons than those in their equipment list. They may get these weapons from captured models (fighting claws!) or they may then use normal weapons such as crossbows e.g. even if they couldn't use them normally.
- Gromril and Ithilmar armour are not listed in any warband's equipment lists (except for Dwarfs and Elves). Models that are allowed to wear heavy armour may also wear Gromril and Ithilmar armour once they get hold of them.
- Miscellaneous equipmet (lucky charms, (un)holy relics, ...) aren't listed in the equipment lists. They can be used by Heroes, following the items' restrictions (e.g. no Garlic for Undead).

I think these are the most relevant point concerning equipment. Now on to your questions:

You can buy a swivel gun either for your starting warband or during the campaign. If you choose to buy one during the campaign you have to search for it with one of your Heroes (Rare Cool. However, you may only give the gun to one of your Gunners (so he must form a henchman group of one model since you can't have more than one swivel gun ever). If one of your heroes has learned the Weapons Expert skill allowing him to use other missile weapons than those in his equipment list, you may also give the swivel gun to him/her. Still, you may have only one swivel gun in the warband.

I hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info

Campaign Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Campaign Question   Campaign Question Icon_minitimeSat 25 Oct 2008 - 12:48

You can buy any equipment you want in the post battle sequence, with the following restrictions:
You have to search for rare items.
You may not buy items that are one warband only (eg. a mercenary warband could not buy the pirate warband's swivel gun).

The reason some items are not in the original list in the rulebook is, that they are either one warband only (like Skaven fighting claws) or where written after the rulebook has been published (eg. toughened leathers).
Back to top Go down
CrazyOrc88
Champion
Champion
CrazyOrc88

Personal Info

Campaign Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Campaign Question   Campaign Question Icon_minitimeSat 25 Oct 2008 - 17:30

Thank you for the replies. I have two quick follow up questions. 1. Does it say anywhere in the rulebook that you can still purchase things from your original equipment list? I ask this because one of the players I was with had mentioned once you start the campaign and are in the city, you can only buy from the price guide for the city, not your original ones any more. 2. If an item was not rare to your warband at it's creation, if you don't take it, does it then become rare if it is rare on the city price guide? For example, the handgun for a pirate warband. Thanks again for any help.
Back to top Go down
Duce
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
Duce

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

Campaign Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Campaign Question   Campaign Question Icon_minitimeSat 25 Oct 2008 - 20:31

hum, i'm sure that once the games starts yo use the list you used to pick weapons for your warband. theres no general list as such.

as for the rare items thats correct i believe, if you don't take it at the start if you have the chance then i think you have to rare find it.

Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

Campaign Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Campaign Question   Campaign Question Icon_minitimeSat 25 Oct 2008 - 20:48

The warbands' equipment lists are used ...

1. ... to buy weapons and armour for your initial warband

2. ...as reference for which weapons and armour the models are even allowed to use

Example:
You can have a Gunner with a duelling pistol in your starting warband. You don't need to roll for rarity when choosing starting equipment from your list. Now if you want to give the same gunner a blunderbuss you must have your heroes search for it and roll for its rarity of 9. That is because you are now in the City of the Damned and must use the Price Chart for that setting. If you then hired a new gunner, however, you could equip him with whatever weapon he is allowed to use from the equipment list as he is assumed to freshly arrive in the damned city. During the campaign you will have to refer to the warband's equipment list to see which weapons the models are allowed to use at all, but when buying them you must refer to the rarity and cost values of the price chart.
Back to top Go down
CrazyOrc88
Champion
Champion
CrazyOrc88

Personal Info

Campaign Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Campaign Question   Campaign Question Icon_minitimeSun 26 Oct 2008 - 1:38

Cianty, you almost answered all my questions except one I'm still not sure about. I understand now if I hire a new gunner he can have a swivel gun, but if I wanted to search for one, it isn't in the original price list since it's rules were published after the book. If I wanted to search for a swivel gun and give it to an existing gunner who will split, is this allowed, or is it not allowed because it isn't on the price chart? I ask this because I heard someone saying you must only use the price chart for the city once your in it. Thanks for any help once again and thank you for all the replies.
Back to top Go down
Skavenslayer
General
General
Skavenslayer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)
Achievements earned: None

Campaign Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Campaign Question   Campaign Question Icon_minitimeSun 26 Oct 2008 - 9:16

You can buy stuff from your own list AND the chat in the book. Just remember you still have to roll rarity.

- Skavenslayer
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

Campaign Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Campaign Question   Campaign Question Icon_minitimeSun 26 Oct 2008 - 10:17

CrazyOrc88 wrote:
I understand now if I hire a new gunner he can have a swivel gun,

Yes, during the campaign you can hire a new gunner with a swivel gun, without having to roll for rarity for his gun. If you wanted to buy a swivel gone for another model from your warband, then you'd have to search for it in the city of the damned. That's what the rarity is for.

CrazyOrc88 wrote:
but if I wanted to search for one, it isn't in the original price list since it's rules were published after the book. If I wanted to search for a swivel gun and give it to an existing gunner who will split, is this allowed, or is it not allowed because it isn't on the price chart?

What do you mean with "split" here? You'll have to give a swivel gun to a henchman group of one gunner, because all members of the group will have to be equipped the same way.

CrazyOrc88 wrote:
I ask this because I heard someone saying you must only use the price chart for the city once your in it. Thanks for any help once again and thank you for all the replies.

Okay, look: Item have two prices and a rarity value. For initial warbands (and newly hired models) you refer to the prices from the warband's equipment list and you can ignore rarity. These prices may differ from the prices that the merchants may demand in the city of the damned. Dwarfs e.g. may equip their starting warbands with Gromril Armour for 75 gold crowns.
Now once they have played their first game they are in Mordheim and when buying new equipment they need to go to the merchants around the city. These merchants offer Gromril Armours for 150 gold crowns and you need to search for rare items. The prices and rarity values for items in general are the prices and rarity for which you can buy them during a campaign. So the Skaven's Fighting Claws e.g. could be given to starting Heroes but during the campaign, when you want to equipe your Hero with them, you need to search for them (rare 7) and you must pay the price that is indicated with the weapon's description (see the Skaven Special Equipment). The Swivel Gun's usual price and rarity are also given in the Pirates Special Equipment section. You need to refer to these prices and rarity values during campaigns.
Note that both Fighting Claws and Swivel Guns are specific to their warbands and thus are not listed in the general Price Chart (it doesn't matter that the Pirates were published after the rulebook - it's the same with Skaven and Sisters of Sigmar special equipment).

So the weapon entries in the warbands equipment list have two purposes: they indicate which weapons the models may ever use at all and the prices in the list are used for initial warband and new members. During the campaign you refer to the normal prices and rarity values of the weapons/armour that are given in the Mordheim price chart or in the warband's special equipment list. These prices may differ from the prices in the warband's equipment list.

Anything left unclear?
Back to top Go down
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

Campaign Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Campaign Question   Campaign Question Icon_minitimeSun 26 Oct 2008 - 13:23

This area has been a bit challenging from time to time over the years.

This is from an Official FAQ back around 2002

Q. If I recruit a new warrior in the middle of
campaign, what price of equipment do I pay
for him? The price that is listed at my gang
rules (he brought the equipment with him
from his homeland)? Or the price in the
Trading section of rulebook (he came without
equipment, I hired him, bought equipment in
local trading post and gave it to him)? Or can
I freely choose?
A. You must always equip any newly hired
warriors using the equipment list from your
Warband.

The Beardy players will use this opportunity to purchase a new model, get a rare item tht is only available at warband set up and then give it to another model.

We changed to the rules in our gaming group to: You can no longer use your warband equipment list after the first game, thus solves the problem of beardy players.
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

Campaign Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Campaign Question   Campaign Question Icon_minitimeSun 26 Oct 2008 - 13:38

Da Bank wrote:
The Beardy players will use this opportunity to purchase a new model, get a rare item tht is only available at warband set up and then give it to another model.

Yeah, he he. That's what I meant. It's sort of beardy, but so what..

Da Bank wrote:
We changed to the rules in our gaming group to: You can no longer use your warband equipment list after the first game, thus solves the problem of beardy players.

In the Legends of the High Seas book there is an interesting approach to this: it forbids swapping of equipment before the new model has taken part in at least one game. That's not a complete solution, but it may be better than nothing for those really unhappy with the way it is.
Back to top Go down
CrazyOrc88
Champion
Champion
CrazyOrc88

Personal Info

Campaign Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Campaign Question   Campaign Question Icon_minitimeSun 26 Oct 2008 - 15:40

Everything is all clear now, thank you for explaining it a bunch of times. Laughing
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

Campaign Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Campaign Question   Campaign Question Icon_minitimeSun 26 Oct 2008 - 17:13

CrazyOrc88 wrote:
Everything is all clear now, thank you for explaining it a bunch of times. Laughing

No problem, you're welcome! Smile
Back to top Go down
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Personal Info

Campaign Question Empty
PostSubject: Campaign Update on Purchasing Equipment   Campaign Question Icon_minitimeSun 26 Oct 2008 - 17:52

I just reread are part on trading in the LRB. Found something interesting that I have missed. Page 102 of the Living Rule book.

New warriors are recruited in the same way as the
original warband with the notable exception of
equipment. After the start of a campaign, a new
hireling can only buy Common items from his
warband’s equipment chart freely. He may only be
given Rare items from his warband’s equipment chart
if the warband can obtain them via the normal trading
rules.

This is a cut and paste from the Living Rulebook, so if the swivel gun is a common item can the model purchase the item normally, but if is rare then they have to roll and they do not automatically get it.

Missile Weapons
Pistol . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15 gc (60 Brace)
Blunderbuss . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30 gc
Dueling Pistol. . . . . . . . . . 30 gc (60 Brace)
Handgun . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 35 gc
Swivel Gun . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .65 gc
(Rare 8; one per Warband)
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

Campaign Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Campaign Question   Campaign Question Icon_minitimeSun 26 Oct 2008 - 18:06

Yieks!! Thanks, DaBank. I remember reading this but actually forgot it. Damn habit. So this was fixed, which is good I guess.

No more new Dwarfs with cheap Gromril armours or new Gunners with rare-less Swivel Guns.

Thanks for preventing us from preaching more wrong lessons. This is one of those occasions where you see that you can actually never learn enough and each time you read the rules you learn something new. For me this is true for the Rules Review because I am so used to the original rules. Was this change even mentioned in the Rules Review? I hope so...
Back to top Go down
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Personal Info

Campaign Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Campaign Question   Campaign Question Icon_minitimeSun 26 Oct 2008 - 23:22

To my knowledge it was not changed at the last RR but seems the LRB has it. I have not had time to compare the LRB to an old rule book (printed and bound by GW) to see if there was a change or not.

After finding the FAQ something "told me" to go reread the LRB. LOL.

There is a lot of interesting material in the rules that is missed or looked over. That is why we all work together to help each other out.
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

Campaign Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Campaign Question   Campaign Question Icon_minitimeSun 26 Oct 2008 - 23:57

Da Bank wrote:
There is a lot of interesting material in the rules that is missed or looked over. That is why we all work together to help each other out.

Exactly. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Campaign Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Campaign Question   Campaign Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Campaign Question
Page 1 of 1